Left 4 Dead

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I thought they were releasing a level editor with this game or the API for it. I demand to play a level set in a derelict ship in space! :colbert:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
As long as I can change my Louis model to Ice Cube for that scenario, SOLD. :troll:

The level editor was always going to be released separately, and hopefully soon, from what I know. It's fucking ridiculous it's not out yet, and truly, it's the biggest ball Valve has dropped -- ever. Varying the levels with the support of the community is the lifeblood of any online game of this type. I have utterly no idea what they're thinking by delaying its release so long..

SaiyajinNoOuji

I envision a level set in the Aliens universe as you can play as Hicks, Hudson, Ripley, and Col. Apon (have to have a black guy in there) and fight off aliens... Pred-Alien can be the tank and the dog ones from Alien 3 can be the Hunters.... I demand this now!

Just got the DLC, its pretty cool. The Survival mode is pretty hard. It took about...oh 6 different lobbies to find 3 other people who clicked well. So we pretty much explored every aspect of the new light house level. We played around hinding beind a rock, and some other good "corner" post. But we just couldn't last over that 4 minute mark. We got close at 3:45. But it definitely a mode that forces everyone to be on the same page.

ZoddtheGod

Zodd the Immortal
I already found a good glitch spot in the warehouse area. Just jump into the carboard boxes on the forthlift from the beams. Got a good 20 minutes before I got bored though. :/ I'm glad they finally modified the melee. The game isnt broken anymore. I got sick of people hiding in corners doing super melee over and over again in versus. :azan: Oh yeah have you guys tried the machine gun glitch yet? Take down a tank in a matter of seconds. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ZoddtheGod said:
Oh yeah have you guys tried the machine gun glitch yet? Take down a tank in a matter of seconds. :ganishka:
That shit is annoying as hell. You're pretty fuckin' lame if you do that in versus, dude.

ZoddtheGod

Zodd the Immortal
Walter said:
That shit is annoying as hell. You're pretty fuckin' lame if you do that in versus, dude.
lol at the nubs who do it in versus. I only do it in survival. Combat shotgun all the way for versus. :ganishka:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
http://kotaku.com/5233501/left-4-dead-will-be-free-for-24-hours
For those of you who haven't tried it yet, you can play it for free this Friday. :guts:

I've been playing on Survivor Mode for a week or two and I haven't gotten over 7:00 minutes. On the Last Stand, I haven't gotten over 5:00. I don't see how you can, you simply got to be lucky.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I've been playing on Survivor Mode for a week or two and I haven't gotten over 7:00 minutes. On the Last Stand, I haven't gotten over 5:00. I don't see how you can, you simply got to be lucky.
Nah, it's all about having the right plan, and coordinating with your teammates. It's entirely possible if everyone is playing with a level head.

The biggest mistake I've seen among the pickup groups I've played with is that once the Tank arrives, people start playing every-man-for-himself, scattering to get better cover. That's a game-ending mistake, because the longer you take killing the tank, the more you'll get fucked. Those special infected will keep spawning as you take your time killing the tank. So as your team is running scared, 2-3 smokers or hunters will spawn up in their regular cycle (something like 1 every 15 seconds) since you haven't taken care of them.

The key is using the full team to destroy tanks in a matter of seconds. If the whole team concentrates their fire when he arrives, he's pretty much toast, and the battle ceases to be a war of movement. You can still stay in the area everyone is comfortable with. The quicker you kill him, the more time  you'll get to utilize the breaks between spawns. Remember, the longer you play, the longer the break is between spawns. Use these to heal up and grab more health.

Logistically, it's entirely possible. But good luck convincing a pick-up group of uncoordinated players to stand their ground and drain their ammo finishing the tank in a circle. THAT's the real challenge :guts:

ZoddtheGod

Zodd the Immortal
Most fun level is the Hospital imo. There's a great camping spot in the back. I've lasted 15 minutes not using any glitch or hiding spot. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For something like survival mode, I really hope new mappers make a "stacking" ability with the props in the levels. Creating a defensive barrier is what made the previous zombie mods for HL games REALLY fun and creative.

Human players would stack piles of trash cans and sofas in a doorway and camp behind it, but waves and waves of zombie players would eventually tear it down -- and it only took 1 touch to begin turning those humans into zombies behind the barricade :rakshas:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Double post for big announcement! =)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/walterbennet/stats/L4D

Everyone can check their L4D stats, but apparently it's only been keeping records for the last 3 months, when most of the early crew (me included) hasn't been playing. And there are many weird errors. For instance, one of my friends' stats says he's shot 22 uzi bullets but killed 55. Another says he shot 3 minigun rounds, but yet he has the Red Mist achievement (1,000 kills with minigun).

Oh well, it's still good for bragging rights  :badbone:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I just played L4D for the first time after the demo. Finished it in 5h, on normal difficulty, with another friend of mine who had never played it before. It was like i remembered it: easy and mindless action with one or two good moments of interaction.
I'll play it again tonight on versus. I think in 24h you can see everything this game has to offer. Good deal.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/suprakarma/stats/L4D

Back to Zombie Panic Source.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Son of a bitch! :mozgus:

So I am in this pick up group and we are totally working off of each other and totally working the other team. My video card freaks out on me and I have to restart it... when I try to launch L4D again it says my shit is corrupt... so I delete the local cache of it but I cant install it again because the servers are too busy. :judo:

Why now.... this is the second time that I almost got akimbo assassin but got messed over at the end. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I just played L4D for the first time after the demo. Finished it in 5h, on normal difficulty, with another friend of mine who had never played it before. It was like i remembered it: easy and mindless action with one or two good moments of interaction.
Hahaha, on normal my 8 year old nephew could finish it. Try expert before you say the game is easy and mindless. And yes, versus is where the real action is, not the boring-ass survivor campaigns.

My video card freaks out on me and I have to restart it...
That happened to me on the very first game I played after this big DLC update. Describe the problem. Mine was like big boxes where pixels should be, so everything had this large mosaic effect.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
Hahaha, on normal my 8 year old nephew could finish it. Try expert before you say the game is easy and mindless. And yes, versus is where the real action is, not the boring-ass survivor campaigns.

I rarely change the game difficulty when i play one. I expect to have a challenge, not beef up the enemies health or change how many enemies appear on screen. That's just pointless and a waste of time.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
That happened to me on the very first game I played after this big DLC update. Describe the problem. Mine was like big boxes where pixels should be, so everything had this large mosaic effect.

Well I thin its because I OC'ed my video card by a lot... I toned it down but I cant really try it out since I cant install the game yet.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Map creation tools are now public... in beta form. http://l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=2510

Took long enough, CHRIST! This game's just about dead! For anyone still playing it, you have to try this out. It's a Thriller mod to change the menu screen to the zombie portion of the music video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmQtDQVRVLI

Top Bottom