Movies To Look Forward to

CnC

Ad Oculos
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
One of the movies in question was one about this Lion at the Zoo who has a son lion... touchy emotional stuff happens and the kid gets kidnapped and the Dad sets out to find him... man, sure does sound like Finding Nemo.

It also didn't help that there was a better movie about talking animals breaking out of the zoo that came out mere weeks before it.

There really is a lack of originality with that studio. It doesn't really do animation anymore (I heard they shut down their studios). Thats really a damn shame. Its like throwing away the expensive luxury car because the driver's a jackass.

So to tie it back to thread (wouldn't want the gods to smite me), there are no movies coming out of Disney that I'm really looking forward to.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oberi said:
Yea I think their losing their touch when it comes to new and original ideas.

Original ideas like just adapting tales that have been around for centuries? Thanks to the Grimm brothers for 50% of that "originality" (not that they did much more than putting existing tales on paper themselves), and to various other popular sources for the rest.

Yeah, when you look at Disney movies now, and the old fashioned ones like Aladdin, The Fox and The Hound, etc. theres no comparison.

Every Disney movie wants to be the next shrek, so they put in jokes that satirize the way we live (starbucks joke in shrek, the entire movie Over The Hedge) that arent even that funny.

Disney has forgotten that a well told story can draw in both kids and adults as well. Who knew? :schierke:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
TheBeast43105 said:
Yeah, when you look at Disney movies now, and the old fashioned ones like Aladdin, The Fox and The Hound, etc. theres no comparison.

Haha, that's great, especially since Fox and the Hound was one of their piss-poor movies at the time. Kind of the Pocohontas of the oldschool Disney. Lately Disney's only good movies have been the kind that are hard to sell due to their NOT being formula (Lilo & Stitch, Emperor's New Groove) and they just want more and more to make movies that will make good commercials.

They have utterly lost track of how to do good storytelling. Pixar picked up their ball and all they can do is cry about how they want it back. Dreamworks is just trying really hard to figure it out. And there are a few other studios that are more like "fuck it, we have enough money to make a movie, let's do it." Which is 90% of Hollywood anyway.

There's still some kick ass fairy tales they haven't tried. I'd love to see Disney return to the medeval sword and sorcery biz. They're too scared of being called evol I guess.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
Original ideas like just adapting tales that have been around for centuries? Thanks to the Grimm brothers for 50% of that "originality" (not that they did much more than putting existing tales on paper themselves), and to various other popular sources for the rest.

Yea thats true. I really enjoy the original stories collected by the Brother (all 209 or something) and Disney has basically just adapted those old stories one after another (They are actually planning on doing a Rapunzel movie). But at least that was good source material. Between Finding Nemo, Madagascar, Ice Age, Over the Hedge, Shark Tale, and all their sequels that are bound to come out, it's just getting worse. I know those aren't all Disney but like Lithrael said
They have utterly lost track of how to do good storytelling. Pixar picked up their ball and all they can do is cry about how they want it back. Dreamworks is just trying really hard to figure it out. And there are a few other studios that are more like "fuck it, we have enough money to make a movie, let's do it." Which is 90% of Hollywood anyway.

There's still some kick ass fairy tales they haven't tried
Yes most definitely.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/grimmtmp/

Kudos and mucho cool points to Oberi for mentioning There Will Be Blood!

On the Disney thing, I heard John Lasseter is now head of the Creative Dept or something at Disney and he wants to bring back traditional animation.
Here's hoping.

Lithrael said:
And there are a few other studios that are more like "fuck it, we have enough money to make a movie, let's do it."  Which is 90% of Hollywood anyway.

Psh, yeah, how about it.  And not to mention... all that crack... :miura:

Disney? they were terrible from the beginning...  with their "Dick Castles" and whatnot, perverting the children! :troll:

Lithrael said:
Haha, that's great, especially since Fox and the Hound was one of their piss-poor movies at the time.  Kind of the Pocohontas of the oldschool Disney. 

Oh man, The Fox and the Hound is one of my favorite disney movies, along with aladdin and......the rescuers? Not sure if thats the right title, its been so long since ive seen it.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Seeing Fearless in about 20 minutes. I can't bloody wait!!

P.S. Anyone know where I can find the Fong Sai Yuk movies... only not the fucking retarded American DVD Release. 'Legend', indeed :miura:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Uriel said:
Seeing Fearless in about 20 minutes. I can't bloody wait!!

P.S. Anyone know where I can find the Fong Sai Yuk movies... only not the fucking retarded American DVD Release. 'Legend', indeed :miura:

It's hard to get Fong Sai Yuk as far as I know because Buena Vista claimed the ownership for the film so most companies refuse to import it (for some reason). I wish I knew too :miura:

P.S. Don't forget to let us know how fearless is.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Saw Fearless today. It was awesome. The fights (which begin within the first 10 minutes of the movie) were masterfully well done. My jaw was hanging most of the time. Definitely going to pick this one up when it hits DVD. I highly recommend it.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Anyone who loves a good Chinese Martial Arts movie should see Fearless. It might well be Jet Li's best. It's that good, in my opinion.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
Anyone who loves a good Chinese Martial Arts movie should see Fearless. It might well be Jet Li's best. It's that good, in my opinion.

saw it last night. definitely one of Jet Li's best.

For me it was kinda boring for the first 30 minutes or so, even with the fighting. Dunno, just felt like they were going through the motions. But it picked up steam later on and really made it a good movie.

Oburi

All praise Grail
DeepDiscountDVD is having a buy one get one free on over 600 hundred movie titles. You might want to take advantage. Don't forget to split up your orders so you don't pay for the most expensive ones. I bought What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Harold And Maude, The Elephant man and a few others. Oh and it's free shipping of course!

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/promotion/buyAndGetFree_form.cfm?promoName=parab1g1_1006&page=0

Oburi

All praise Grail
SO there's this movie coming out later called The Game Plan and it's got The Rock and honestly it sounds dumb BUT they need to fill up Gillette stadium for this one scene and supposedly they supply free food and even pay people who show up. I've already made plans to go so I'm kind of excited. The Rock will be there (oh yay) and idk if you go with friends it could be a cool day.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0492956/

Anyway I just got back from the Departed and it kicked so much ass. It was seriously the coolest film that I've seen in theaters recently, Jack Nicholson was fucking nuts, he whips out dildo's and throws coke on hookers "don't move until your numb" lol. My faith in Mark Wahlberg was rejuvenated when he pretty much kicks everyones ass in the movie. Some really standout scenes and crazy pop out moments. I highly recommend it, especially if you like Scorsese's older movies like Mean Streets

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oberi said:
Anyway I just got back from the Departed and it kicked so much ass. It was seriously the coolest film that I've seen in theaters recently, Jack Nicholson was fucking nuts, he whips out dildo's and throws coke on hookers "don't move until your numb" lol.  My faith in Mark Wahlberg was rejuvenated when he pretty much kicks everyones ass in the movie. Some really standout scenes and crazy pop out moments. I highly recommend it, especially if you like Scorsese's older movies like Mean Streets

That movie was awesome! "Marky" Mark Wahlberg was my favorite character in it, followed closely by Alec Baldwin ("I LOVE the Patriot Act!!!!!" as he grabs the guy sitting in front of him). Jack Nicholson was great, too, as the crazy mob boss. Good stuff, I highly recommend it. :guts:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Rhombaad said:
Alec Baldwin "I LOVE the Patriot Act!!!!!"

Seconded, this movie was great and nuts.  If you even begin to like the genre you won't be disappointed. (The Departed, that is.)

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wow Slightly Green thanks for that trailer, I've been waiting for that for soo long (I can't believe you found it before I did). I was laughing my ass off while watching it the whole time, did you see that guy get hit by the truck lol and the fucking gatling gun on the motorcycle. And hell yea Michael Biehn "He doesn't feel pain, or pity, he won't show you mercy." Shame on anyone who said they they weren't looking forward to this, I know it's matter of opinion but w/e, I'll make up for that lost enthusiasm.
photo01we9.jpg
photo03qa0.jpg
photo02kc8.jpg

"Marky" Mark Wahlberg

He was my favorite too, but he dropped the "Marky" part for good reasons. :serpico: He's a "serious" actor now.

Top Bottom