Movies To Look Forward to

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Just got back from seeing The Prestige and it was excellent. After getting out of the theater, I thought I had it figured out, but my friends and I ended up talking about it for about an hour afterwards and my mind is still reeling from the questions we raised. I also found it pretty cool that not one of us had it all figured out and that we each thought we had guessed one thing right but were blown away by another of the film's revelations. I highly recommend seeing this one and I hope that all who do enjoy it as much as I did. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just got back from seeing The Prestige and it was excellent. After getting out of the theater, I thought I had it figured out, but my friends and I ended up talking about it for about an hour afterwards and my mind is still reeling from the questions we raised. I also found it pretty cool that not one of us had it all figured out and that we each thought we had guessed one thing right but were blown away by another of the film's revelations. I highly recommend seeing this one and I hope that all who do enjoy it as much as I did

Awsome dude, I didn't even know this was out yet. I'm going to see it soon and from you said it really seems cool.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Just got back from seeing The Prestige and it was excellent. After getting out of the theater, I thought I had it figured out, but my friends and I ended up talking about it for about an hour afterwards and my mind is still reeling from the questions we raised. I also found it pretty cool that not one of us had it all figured out
This is a good thing? :carcus:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Rhombaad said:
Just got back from seeing The Prestige and it was excellent.  After getting out of the theater, I thought I had it figured out, but my friends and I ended up talking about it for about an hour afterwards and my mind is still reeling from the questions we raised.  I also found it pretty cool that not one of us had it all figured out and that we each thought we had guessed one thing right but were blown away by another of the film's revelations.  I highly recommend seeing this one and I hope that all who do enjoy it as much as I did. :guts:

I thought the movie explained everything really well.

AGH ive been looking foward to Grindhouse for so long. Danny Trejo as Machete is hilarious, and Tom Savini is in it for a horror movie/ gorehound bonus!!! April seems so far away.....

Im also excited to see The Departed, if only for Jack Nicholson as a sinister mob-boss. :guts:

So many movies, so little money

Oburi

All praise Grail
The Prestige was the worst Batman versus Wolverine movie I've ever seen.
HA ha!
Man lot's of mixed reviews on the Prestige. Some friends told me it was horrible and others tell me it's great. Most reviews said it was dumb but Rolling Stone said it was good (I put lots of stock in Rolling Stone, anyone read the great interview on Jack Nicholson) Eh I'm thinking I'll save my money and skip this one.

Im also excited to see The Departed, if only for Jack Nicholson as a sinister mob-boss.
Dude hurry up and see that!

Oburi

All praise Grail
This is sarcasm... right?

Nope sorry. It's people and inquirer that i don't give a shit about. I read every rolling stone issue, excuse me I'm a rocker and I just love that mag dude. Yea I read books, but it's one of the only magazines I actually take the time to read. Maybe you meant more for the movie section part though, in which case your right, it's not the best place to get movie reviews, and it's not my first choice to base my movie decisions on, BUT compared to any other magazine, pretty much, it's not bad. They know good movies when they see em. And I did love the Jack Nicholson article. Jeez who doesn't like Rolling Stone!???

"Griffith No More!" said:
The Prestige was the worst Batman versus Wolverine movie I've ever seen.

Batman versus Wolverine versus Clone Wars?!?

i enjoyed the style and the rivalry right up to the point where Wolverine met up with Mr. T... then it went straight down the toilet...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oberi said:
Nope sorry. It's people and inquirer that i don't give a shit about. I read every rolling stone issue, excuse me I'm a rocker and I just love that mag dude. ...Jeez who doesn't like Rolling Stone!???
Who doesn't like RollingStone? I dunno, who doesn't like accountability? Did you love it when they decided to change their rating on Weezer's sophomore album?

Although a critical failure upon its [Weezer's Pinkerton] initial release (Rolling Stone readers named the album the second worst of 1996), by the close of the century, word-of-mouth had considerably rehabilitated Pinkerton's standing and many Weezer fans consider it the band's best work; some consider the band's more recent albums a conscious retreat from the sound and style of Pinkerton.

Despite the rough start, Pinkerton has had enduring sales, and has seen recent critical championing. In 2004, Rolling Stone gave the album a new review, giving it five stars out of five and adding it to the Rolling Stone Hall of Fame.

More recently, I read a review of Coldplay's newest album where they were constantly comparing Chris Martin to 50 cent.

Chris Martin, transformed himself with so much swagger and so many hooks that even 50 Cent had to pay tribute....
Martin has talked about how hard he worked on this album, and it shows: Nothing on it sounds easy -- maybe 50 Cent made off with a little bit of his style and grace.
What the hell does 50 cent have to do with Coldplay? Or is this some kind of clever pop reference joke that I'm just too high and mighty to laugh at?

I hate RollingStone. But, I'm derailing the thread, so this is the last I'll say on the subject.

I still have to see Wolverine VS Batman: Dork Magic and Nicholson's Gangster Whorehouse starring Matt Damon. And soon... and finally, THE FOUNTAIN.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Oh boy you sure showed me with one ( maybe only one) example of them going back and giving a record the credit it deserves and another example of a review that you just didn't get. Maybe theres a couple more you could dig up but w/e, I think it's decent, although I did hate how they changed Weezers rating (for the record I think Pinkerton is their best album). But to say the whole magazine is crap because maybe a couple of writers suck. That was one guy who (maybe wasn't a weezer fan) gave the album a bad review at the time it was released and WASN'T SELLING well. Years later they realize that the album has garnered some fanbase and is actually quite good. Being a music based magazine they honor their fans and admit the album is really, really good and step up the review. That seems terribly consistant. It's a pretty thick magazine and I could think of thousands of articles I loved. Example-Jack Nicholson's, I suggest you read it, it was great. As well as Bob Dylan's interview a few issues back, it was great and blah blah blah. My point is if you really appreciate music and how it's handled in the media, then how can you "hate" RS. It actually talks about the music and not just the stupid shit that gets published everywhere else. Besides I initially said that in my experience with the movie reviews in RS has been good, and that I actually think they are pretty accurate with their reviews. Thats all. But yea way off track, anyway...

Saw Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette this weekend.
It was very feminine, but not neccessarily in a bad way. I know I'm being vague here.
Some of the songs mixed quite well with the film, and others left me... :???:
The Strokes was one that had me scratching my head. But, most I felt were used decently enough, but some could've been used better or not at all.
On the way home, me and my gf were listening to Mogwai and felt that it would've fit quite well and were kind of surprised they weren't used.
It was okay, the film. I wouldn't say it was bad, but I didn't walk away with the same sense of satisfaction as I did with Lost In Translation. It's certainly something worth revisiting soon.

Babel is another I'm very much looking forward to (I'm sure it's already been mentioned). Other than that: Yeah, THE *FUCKING* FOUNTAIN.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Let's move on from the RS talk; afterall, we already know there's really only one source out there for original, thought-provoking content that other magazines are afraid to touch, like... editorials, music reviews, movie reviews, and, of course, celebrity interviews, all based on sales, popular opinion, and whichever way the wind is blowing OMG Rock N' Roll forever dudes!

:troll:

Anyway, back to the movies... did anyone else find The Prestige's ending "revelation" (I mean the very last one after the speeches and all that crap) on par with, "Oh, and did you know Santa Claus isn't real!?"

I mean, it was already a given by the premise of the device (literally and plot-wise)... Nolan's next shocking twist might as well be that "Bruce Wayne is Batman!" Or that The Prestige is based on his rivalry with M. Night Shyamalan. =)

Anyway, it wasn't hard to figure out long before the end and it was a couple of tricks short of magic for me (ha HA, see what I did there? I'll be writing for Rolling Stone in no time =).

Slightly Green said:
Saw Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette this weekend.

I hope because terrorists hijacked your flight and forced you to watch at gunpoint? =)

I hope because terrorists hijacked your flight and forced you to watch at gunpoint? =)
Ha ha, No. I wanted to. Call me a sissy if you want, but I liked her previous work and looked forward to this.
That and I'm slightly interested in French history, even though this is no text book it was worth a shot.

The cinematography is gorgeous, by the way.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Fair enough, I was pretty much turned off by the whole concept (except for the intentional unintentional comedy implications, starting with the title logo =), but I'm admittedly not a big fan of Ms. Francis Ford Coppola in the first place.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Anyway, back to the movies... did anyone else find The Prestige's ending "revelation" (I mean the very last one after the speeches and all that crap) on par with, "Oh, and did you know Santa Claus isn't real!?"

Not really. I really did enjoy most of the movie except for some part that just pissed me off and I wanted it to end, but aside from that I really did enjoy the movie.

Or that The Prestige is based on his rivalry with M. Night Shyamalan. =)

From my exsperience of watch M. night shyamalan's movie, the director of the prestige would have to have set the movie in 2142 in an isolated england town involving wheel chair villians

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
From my exsperience of watch M. night shyamalan's movie, the director of the prestige would have to have set the movie in 2142 in an isolated england town involving wheel chair villians
He's done more than one movie.

I've yet to see The Prestige, so I can't really comment on it, rendering this post useless.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Slightly Green said:
He's done more than one movie.

I really didn't feel like going to imdb to annoy my self with looking over more of his movies. I don't tend to pay attention to who made what now passes as a movie, but was as amusing to a burning trashcan.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Other than the Sixth Sense, Shamalamadingdong has produced nothing but crap, imo. He should seriously take his name out of the titles, as my first instinct whenever I see it is to avoid watching.

Meh, I enjoy The Village quite a bit, despite it's ending and the problems I initially had with it.
Interestingly enough, Shamalyan considered taking his name off the titles of Lady In the Water, fearing that people would see it for the wrong reason. I know I did, I expected it to be entertaining, at least to some extent.

And Bobby, I'll save you the trouble: The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village and The Lady In the Water. He made two films before Sixth but they're, apparently, hardly worth noting (as well as being difficult to see, as M. Night probably isn't very proud of them and the Weinsteins edited the crap out of them).

Top Bottom