Nintendo DS

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I think the GBA games are out of the question since they were nixed in the DSi. :sad:

That would be shameful. Shit, I want the compatibility with originly Gameboy and Gameboy Color games back! :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
That would be shameful. Shit, I want the compatibility with originly Gameboy and Gameboy Color games back! :puck:
Don't worry, instead of a GB/GBC/GBA cart port on the new DS, I hear there will be a credit card swiper! :griffnotevil:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Don't worry, instead of a GB/GBC/GBA cart port on the new DS, I hear there will be a credit card swiper! :griffnotevil:

Humor and anger are fighting a terrible battle within me right now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://kotaku.com/5392421/nintendo-announces-big-screen-dsi
http://kotaku.com/5392444/how-does-the-dsi-ll-compare-to-the-dsi-and-ds-lite?skyline=true&s=x

Pictures and information about the DSi LL, a larger-screen Nintendo DS. Check out that stylus picture.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
http://kotaku.com/5392421/nintendo-announces-big-screen-dsi
http://kotaku.com/5392444/how-does-the-dsi-ll-compare-to-the-dsi-and-ds-lite?skyline=true&s=x

Pictures and information about the DSi LL, a larger-screen Nintendo DS. Check out that stylus picture.

Even if they hadn't announced it was targeted at the elderly I think we would have found out. :void:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I'm really considering to one of these new DSs. At first I was pissed at the lack of GBA/GBC support but I realized I have a GBA SP in my bottom drawer of my nerd drawer. I would really like to replay the CV games on a bigger screen. If anyone is interested in getting a good deal let me know. I may even toss in Metal Slug 7 and Elite Beat Agents.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, that was the worst comparison video ever, they share a total of about 2 seconds in passing on the screen together, and the rest of the time it's zoomed in so close on the screen there's no perspective to tell it's bigger at all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
Wow, that was the worst comparison video ever, they share a total of about 2 seconds in passing on the screen together, and the rest of the time it's zoomed in so close on the screen there's no perspective to tell it's bigger at all.
http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2009/10/500x_compare.jpg

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
handsome rakshas said:
I'm really considering to one of these new DSs. At first I was pissed at the lack of GBA/GBC support but I realized I have a GBA SP in my bottom drawer of my nerd drawer. I would really like to replay the CV games on a bigger screen.

I dunno man, I just dusted off my SP a few days ago and while I used to think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread the colors are just a total wash to me now compared to the crisp, bright perfection of the DS.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo Announces New Nintendo 3DS Portable System
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27779/Nintendo_Announces_New_Nintendo_3DS_Portable_System.php

Nintendo has announced its newest portable hardware, the Nintendo 3DS (a name which is marked as "temp" in the brief press release issued by the company). This new handheld is planned for launch in Nintendo's next fiscal year, which ends March, 2011.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Well that certainly is intriguing. I can't say I'm very interested in 3D technology, but my old NDS needs a replacement anyway. :guts: I wonder why they decided to announce it now instead of waiting until the E3 though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
Well that certainly is intriguing. I can't say I'm very interested in 3D technology, but my old NDS needs a replacement anyway. :guts: I wonder why they decided to announce it now instead of waiting until the E3 though.
Yeah, I'm also not very excited about the prospect of 3D games. The idea of it alone doesn't entice me, and I don't think I'll be interested in that factor until I see a decent application of the technology.

But the combination of gyroscope/motion sensing + 3D + vastly upgraded hardware sounds like an instant purchase to me.

I wonder how they'll showcase the hardware at E3, as in, what new game will implement the features and become the company's next must-have game. Nintendo has already spammed Mario in the past 2 years, but that doesn't necessarily exclude a new Mario game, and the DS just released a new title last year with a Wii title expected this year sometime... Kirby? :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
But the combination of gyroscope/motion sensing + 3D + vastly upgraded hardware sounds like an instant purchase to me.

Indeed. Given the NDS' success this has almost unlimited potential.

Walter said:
I wonder how they'll showcase the hardware at E3, as in, what new game will implement the features and become the company's next must-have game. Nintendo has already spammed Mario in the past 2 years, but that doesn't necessarily exclude a new Mario game, and the DS just released a new title last year with a Wii title expected this year sometime... Kirby? :serpico:

Good question... Pikmin 3? :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Is anyone playing Infinite Space? I'm tempted to buy it, but afraid it might be too slow and repetitive...

EDIT: Well I bought it anyway. :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sharp shows off the screen technology that could be in the next DS:

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/04/02/sharp_shows_3_d_displays_for_mobile_devices/

The drawback until now has been the need for special glasses, which show different images to the right eye and the left eye. Sharp's 3-D technology doesn't require them because the displays are designed to shoot different images to each eye.
Sounds ... complicated. If it's beaming two images, one into each eye, it sounds like a pretty precision job, so I wonder if glasses and sunglasses could interfere.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
If it's beaming two images, one into each eye, it sounds like a pretty precision job, so I wonder if glasses and sunglasses could interfere.

It doesn't, from what I've read so far. However it only works on small screens (can't work on a TV) and you have to be perfectly in front of the screen. That makes it the perfect solution for a handheld device.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, with it being 3" in diameter, and must be used within 1 foot of your face, it makes me think it was custom made for the DS.

Let's see someone try to make an emulator for that. :iva:

But I wonder if we'll be able to choose to play the games without 3D, or if it'll be integrated in the game itself instead of just a gimmick to make it look better. I've had some eye problems in the past and the 3D effects used on theaters hurt my eyes, so these things always worry me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
Let's see someone try to make an emulator for that. :iva:

But I wonder if we'll be able to choose to play the games without 3D, or if it'll be integrated in the game itself instead of just a gimmick to make it look better. I've had some eye problems in the past and the 3D effects used on theaters hurt my eyes, so these things always worry me.

As I understand it, it'll have to be programmed into the game. Not just a cheap gimmick. Maybe they'll have an option to apply a "fake 3D effect" to every game but that would just be a side thing (like how the PS3 upscales the resolution of PS2 games).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think removing the 3D glasses factor will help alleviate the strain on eyes caused by previous 3D methods.

And yeah, like me and Aaz were talking about a few days ago, this level of 3D is basically uncharted territory. Games shown in a virtual 3D space have been the standard since Mario 64. But we only saw that through a 2D lens. Shifting that lens to 3D opens many new doors.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Truth be told I'm way more interested in what could be done with 3D for games than for movies. It's all about the gameplay.

Top Bottom