Nintendo Revolution = Wii

S

Some Guy

Wow :isidro:

This is indeed surprising. I'd think it would be a bad name for marketing (I could be wrong though...). I mean it is a REALLY strange name, expecially for a game console.

I'm really curious on how this pans out for the console in the future

It's not that big of a surprise. Some people might remember for a fair while the Nintendo 64 was going to be called the Ultra 64 or Ultra Nintendo 64 before it was changed.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Now my Wii wand can have attatchments.

What I want to know is how long it'll take Rockstar to roll out a game with a hidden wanking mini game where you move the controller up and down as fast as you can while trying not to get friction burn.

Unfortunately for Nintendo, the possibilities are endless.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Knight o' Skeleton said:
I'd think it would be a bad name for marketing (I could be wrong though...).

Well, I think Nintendo's communication move went pretty smoothly, everybody around the world is talking about their Wii now.

Sparnage said:
It's not that big of a surprise. Some people might remember for a fair while the Nintendo 64 was going to be called the Ultra 64 or Ultra Nintendo 64 before it was changed.

That's because another company owned the name in the USA, so they couldn't use it and had to change it at the last minute. Anyway I'm not too worried about the console, if the games are cool people will play it no matter its name. And even if the games suck there will always be people to still buy it anyway.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Since this is the most recent thread on next gen I'll stop by for a moment to share this with anyone who wants a quick laugh that hasn't read this article before.  Take it for what it is (Read: Comedy) and you should be OK.  Before anyone jumps on my case, I'd like to also point out I'm not trying to "diss" anything, and I will buy all the next gen systems as I always do.  Enjoy.

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/fanboy.html

Edit: Hey Aaz, do you know why they changed the name of the system from Dolphin last time? Just curious since you knew about the Ultra 64.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ko Ninja said:
Since this is the most recent thread on next gen I'll stop by for a moment to share this with anyone who wants a quick laugh that hasn't read this article before.

Haven't read this yet, but it looks like it might be funny. I'll be sure to check it out later, thanks. :guts:

Ko Ninja said:
Hey Aaz, do you know why they changed the name of the system from Dolphin last time? Just curious since you knew about the Ultra 64.

That was different, Dolphin was a codename, and not the actual console name (unlike Ultra 64 which was supposed to be the final name), and they never keep the codename for the release. The N64's codename was "Project Reality". People thought it might be different this time, but it wasn't. Codename: Revolution became Wii. Another example is the NDS that was originally "Project Nitro".

What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other word would smell as sweet. :casca:

Seriously, don't you guys think you might be taking this a wii bit too seriously?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Slightly Green said:
What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other word would smell as sweet. :casca:

Seriously, don't you guys think you might be taking this a wii bit too seriously?

The voice of reason. :SK: Wii've gone too far.

Record Low

1 person makes the difference
the empire of nintendo.....the kingdom of sony.....and the federation of mircosoft.... does some one smell wwiii coming?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Slightly Green said:
What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other word would smell as sweet.  :casca:

Well, I wouldn't consider you the best judge of good name changes, Slightly Rane-Nay. OH SNAP! :carcus:

Then again, look who's talking. :casca:

I think we can all agree that Nintendo has broken both the gay scale and the pretentious scale at the same time with this one (as well as the unintentional comedy scale for the trifecta!), while also demonstrating that they're completly out of touch with reality and, more importantly, their market demographic (unless it's pretentious fags =). Then again, they have to be the most entertaining game company to follow since their marketing has sucked for over a decade now. I never thought I'd look back on "Play it LOUD!" as not so bad when I didn't get it and thought it was lame when I was 10.

BTW, I do love this move. Wii will take over the World! :troll:

My biggest concern is the hardware inferiority, especially regarding storage space. If Nintendo's Wii isn't big enough, will developers flock to it?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
My biggest concern is the hardware inferiority, especially regarding storage space.

Apparently people will have the possibility to add more storage space to it later through extensions. It's still pretty vague though.

incognitoX

you fail me
Pretty wiitarded move on Nintendo's part (sorry, bad joke...couldn't resist)

They should have just kept the Revolution monicker, oh well. Red Steel looks impressive and I'll definitely be buying one regardless. Nothing but love for the big N.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ko Ninja said:
http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/fanboy.html
Take it for what it is (Read: Comedy) and you should be OK.
Pointless waste of time indeed :puck: I didn't think it was that funny, and I don't think it's even trying to be. The writer is just padding his pseudo-intellectual, jaded gamer attitude with FUNNEY PIX LOL. Most of the assertions in the article aren't correct, or even valid.

Leave it to clowns like these to proclaim the future of a console still months ahead of its launch.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I didn't read it, just looked it over; giant anti-fanboy manifestos by uber-fanboy are a little too much tepid hypocrisy for me.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Wii Launch confirmed:

Launches Nov. 19th for $249.

All the details of the launch/console are here:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/live-at-nintendos-nyc-wii-press-conference/

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, what to say... Metroid Prime 3 delayed to 2007? Damn it! :puck:

$249 isn't a bad price I guess. I'm more pleasantly surprised at the 39.99$ & 19.99$ price tags for the Wiimote and nunchaku. I hope they'll also offer the "classic" controller with a Virtual Console card outside of Japan. I'm glad it'll have an Ethernet port too, that way my old router will do the trick. The Wii Channels thing is funny I think, it's another way to convince grampa to buy it. All in all no big surprise.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I'm kind of turned off about the 249 price, personally, even though it was expected. 199 would have been sweet. I think I'll get a 360 first and see how the Wii's doing a bit later on.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
CnC said:
Wii Launch confirmed:

Launches Nov. 19th for $249.

All the details of the launch/console are here:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/live-at-nintendos-nyc-wii-press-conference/

Thanks for the info, CnC. I'm ten times more stoked for the Wii than the PS3. I think its still too late to preorder the Wii but I'm going to look around. Oh, and I think the price is fantastic! Thanks again!

CnC

Ad Oculos
handsome rakshas said:
Thanks for the info, CnC. I'm ten times more stoked for the Wii than the PS3. I think its still too late to preorder the Wii but I'm going to look around. Oh, and I think the price is fantastic! Thanks again!

well with a plan of 4 million sold (not just produced), your chances are pretty good to get one at launch.

edit: nix that 'sold', thats how many are produced. PR said "sold"

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
I'm kind of turned off about the 249 price, personally, even though it was expected.  199 would have been sweet.  I think I'll get a 360 first and see how the Wii's doing a bit later on.

That's my plan. I'm gonna pick up a 360 during, or after the holidays, once it has dropped in price.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome stuff. I'm glad they finally announced how the downloads system will work. So, for we Americans, it basically waters down to $1 = 100 pts. The N64 games price is a little steep,but since I'll only be getting around 5 of those, that's still cool.

Great news about Wii sports being packaged with the console (did I read that correctly? Seems too good to be true...). That and Zelda was all I was planning on buying at launch anyway, now that Prime 3 has been pushed back. Can't say I'm too suprised at that, either. Retro likes to spend time on their games, and that whole launch date thing seemed suspect to me. It'll come when it's ready, and it'll be sweet.

Looking forward to playing you guys on the Wii network once they get something other than Pokemon on there to compete with.

Voyevoda

Breathe and Start
More information!

European Details

Launch - December 8th
Price - EUR 249 / GBP 179
Wii Sports included
Games cost EUR 49-59 / GBP 34-39
Only available in White

Australian Details

Launch - December 7th
Price - AU$399.95