Nintendo Revolution = Wii

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Walter said:
Looking forward to playing you guys on the Wii network once they get something other than Pokemon on there to compete with.

Could you imagine Super Smash Bros. Braw, SK.net style? Totally awesome, if it's supported on the Network. I got dibs on Snake, thought :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Casan said:
European Details

Launch - December 8th
Price - EUR 249 / GBP 179
Wii Sports included
Games cost EUR 49-59 / GBP 34-39
Only available in White
God, what is with the gaming industry always fucking the Europeans in the ass? 49 Euros? That's like, $60. And the console is $312 for them. AND it comes a month later? Ridiculous...

S

smoke

And yet they buy it, man. That's the crazy part.

Europeans should boycott the gaming industry until Jim Crow gets off! Or something.

Voyevoda

Breathe and Start
I don't know about the rest of us Europeans, but I sure am crazy enough to get one! (been changing my mind constantly for a while though) :guts:

Walter said:
God, what is with the gaming industry always fucking the Europeans in the ass? 49 Euros? That's like, $60. And the console is $312 for them. AND it comes a month later? Ridiculous...

Well, I still say this is better than a DS launch rehash at least.

What's worse though is what I read on another board: "Wii games will not be region-free according to Nintendo UK's General Manager David Yarnton. Speaking exclusively with IGN at Nintendo's European Wii press event in London, Yarnton confirmed that Wii games and online content will be region-encoded, meaning European gamers won't be able to play titles from the US and Japan and vice-versa."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Europe is really the third world of gaming. But this is nothing guys. For years consoles used to come out here A YEAR after they did elsewhere. Same for games, when they came out. Hey Xenogears' a neat game, right? I sure would have liked it if it had been released in Europe. Since you know, I'm not authorized to play a foreign version. That sums up every European's feelings I think.

Casan said:
What's worse though is what I read on another board: "Wii games will not be region-free according to Nintendo UK's General Manager David Yarnton. Speaking exclusively with IGN at Nintendo's European Wii press event in London, Yarnton confirmed that Wii games and online content will be region-encoded, meaning European gamers won't be able to play titles from the US and Japan and vice-versa."

Just the usual stuff, I'm not surprised. It sucks but that's been the policy for so long... Pfff.

EDIT: And wow... Just read some info on this whole story myself. Perrin Kaplan should know more than a regional manager about this, right? Because she announced yesterday that first party games wouldn't be region-encoded and third party ones would be or not depending on their developer's choice. I don't know who's correct, but EU executives are usually pretty clueless about everything.

Voyevoda

Breathe and Start
Aazealh said:
Just the usual stuff, I'm not surprised. It sucks but that's been the policy for so long... Pfff.

Yeah, I know. It's just that I got my hopes up after reading what Kaplan had said I guess.

Aazealh said:
EDIT: And wow... Just read some info on this whole story myself. Perrin Kaplan should know more than a regional manager about this, right? Because she announced yesterday that first party games wouldn't be region-encoded and third party ones would be or not depending on their developer's choice. I don't know who's correct, but EU executives are usually pretty clueless about everything.

Well, I guess matters aren't completly resolved just yet. This is the latest that I've read about the whole issue.

Edit: I think I'm going to wait and see before considering buying a Wii after all.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
CnC said:
Ugh... that sucks. Considering you _know_ japan's going to be making some strange yet addictive games for this system.
Think of it this way, there is a very good chance a lot of those games will be sold outside of Japan, as Nintendo's whole strategy is providing something different. I think those quirky Japanese games fit right into that plan, so I'm not too worried about them being region exclusive.

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
Alright, so now that the wii launch is confirmed...does this mean the Twilight Princess launch is also confirmed...or might it not be released side by side with the wii. Not that a delay would be out of the ordinary. Anyone know anything about this. Sorry if it's outside the parameters of the topic.

I'm taking care of all the preordering mumbo-jumbo tomorrow.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SMZKAH said:
Alright, so now that the wii launch is confirmed...does this mean the Twilight Princess launch is also confirmed...or might it not be released side by side with the wii.

Yeah, it's been confirmed. The game will come out with the Wii, and the GC version will be released a couple of weeks later (December 11 to be exact. Cunning, isn't it?).

SMZKAH

Aazealh said:
Yeah, it's been confirmed. The game will come out with the Wii, and the GC version will be released a couple of weeks later (December 11 to be exact. Cunning, isn't it?).

Huh, Well I was always going to buy both versions, but I guess releasing the GC version nearly a month later is a clever scheme to get people to pick up the wii right away. Boy, nintendo, you never cease to amaze me.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
lol, looks like fun. However, I was waiting the whole time to see one of the kids lose their grip on the controller and just konk the other guy in the head. Either way, the wii is going to prove to be very entertaining.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hoping to pre-order my Wii on Amazon.com. I'll let THEM dance the launch-date line limbo. :carcus:

What's everyone else's plan for Nov. 19? Pretty sure I'll just be picking up Zelda: TP, since Wii Sports is included.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Hoping to pre-order my Wii on Amazon.com. I'll let THEM dance the launch-date line limbo.  :carcus:

What's everyone else's plan for Nov. 19? Pretty sure I'll just be picking up Zelda: TP, since Wii Sports is included.

My plan? Well I'm going to park my car infront of bestbuy before it opens and watch as a riot insues over a video game system. 8 months later I'm going to buy my wii for a hundread dollars less.

SMZKAH

Walter said:
Hoping to pre-order my Wii on Amazon.com. I'll let THEM dance the launch-date line limbo. :carcus:

Well, I think I'm going to do what I should've done when the GC was released. I'm gonna hang out at Meijer's at starting around 10 or so, and pick mine up at midnight (at least that's how it worked in 2001 with the GC release). And if that fails, I'll be standing in line outside of Best Buy just like I did 5 years ago. And TP is the obvious add-on for me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'll probably just get it for Christmas if the feedback is good, which means ordering it on December 23 from Amazon.fr.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Scorpio said:
Think of it this way, there is a very good chance a lot of those games will be sold outside of Japan, as Nintendo's whole strategy is providing something different. I think those quirky Japanese games fit right into that plan, so I'm not too worried about them being region exclusive.

Thats all well and good until someone makes a Berserk game where you swing the DS around.... _only_ for japan.

As for myself I'm probably not going to get the system at launch. Other than zelda, there's no real games that appeal to me. So I'll wait for that killer app that I'm sure will come.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.somethingawful.com/flash/shmorky/nerd-wii.swf

I think this about sums it all up. =)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Gamestop and EB officially announced preorders will begin tomorrow for the U.S and Canada! I have to wake up at 9:30 a.m to get there at opening? What rubbish! :guts:

SMZKAH

handsome rakshas said:
Gamestop and EB officially announced preorders will begin tomorrow for the U.S and Canada! I have to wake up at 9:30 a.m to get there at opening? What rubbish! :guts:

Yeah, I just pre ordered mine today (I originally wasn't going to, but I did anyway) I got to EB at 10:45 and they still were taking orders, and I was number 29, so I guess there wasn't a huge rush. Luckily, EB promised me a midnight release, So I'll be very happy.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
SMZKAH said:
Yeah, I just pre ordered mine today (I originally wasn't going to, but I did anyway)  I got to EB at 10:45 and they still were taking orders, and I was number 29, so I guess there wasn't a huge rush.  Luckily, EB promised me a midnight release, So I'll be very happy. 

Christ, sounds like you had a good morning! I got to my local Gamestop at 9:00 a.m only to find out they were getting 14 systems and there was already 14 people in line. So I zoomed over to EB and the people in line only said they were getting 12 systems and luckily me and my coworker
were numbers 11 and 12. After standing in line for 45 minutes one of the employees came out and said they were only taking 7 preorders. Pissed, I tried to get my fellow "screwees" to start a small riot and turn some cars over in the EB parking lot but their was no takers. From there I went to Game Crazy and stood in a small line that consisted of me, 2 of my buds, and some old lady hoping they were taking preorders. They were, but it is not a guaranteed system at launch since they weren't taking "official" preorders yet. I put 50 bucks down, got my reserve receipt, and preordered a few games. (Red Steel, Zelda, and One Piece) Hopefully i will get one at launch. I'm glad that you were able to waltz right in and get one, SMZKAH! My morning was an absolute hell. Why in god's name were they taking less Wii preorders than PS3s I don't know.

Top Bottom