Nintendo Revolution = Wii

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I will buy a Wii the day they release a good sword combat game (_not_ Red Steel).

Even if the sword fighting scenes in Red Steel were good, they're really not the main show. It's mostly a classic FPS with guns and stuff. The real question for you is how long Lucas Art will resist the temptation of making a light saber fighting game. :void:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Even if the sword fighting scenes in Red Steel were good, they're really not the main show. It's mostly a classic FPS with guns and stuff. The real question for you is how long Lucas Art will resist the temptation of making a light saber fighting game. :void:

hopefully they have no willpower whatsoever. :)

A lightsaber would work well. I'd buy it.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
What about a game where you are an angry housewife wielding a remote control as a weapon! That would be perfect.

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Serpico said:
What about a game where you are an angry housewife wielding a remote control as a weapon! That would be perfect.

More like an angry house wife with pots and pans are her disposal for VENGEANCE!

I mean it's highly possible with nintendo seeing that they let all those disney shows make videogames... those two twin blonde haired kids are getting on my nerves.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Slightly Green said:
Do you mean the Olsen Twins?

They haven't made a game in years!
we should invite them over to make a movie though! :carcus: but to add to the topic... I saw some advertisment for the new Hajime no Ippo game coming out for the Wii and I like it. Don't think I will buy one just for that buy you never know... Im still stuck to the WoW whorism :judo:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Slightly Green said:
Do you mean the Olsen Twins?

They haven't made a game in years!

Yeah, in the new one you get to use the Wii-mote as a rolled up dollar bill!

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
I saw some advertisment for the new Hajime no Ippo game coming out for the Wii

Are you serious? That would be an amazing game if they got the  control scheme down right. Someone get to work on cracking that region lock! I want to play this and Bleach very badly! Anyone else get the feeling they will make a Jump Superstars game for the Wii that will play similiar to Smash Brothers? Heres hoping!

S

Some Guy

I saw some advertisment for the new Hajime no Ippo game coming out for the Wii and I like it

Yeah, I just hope Victorious Boxers 2 sells well enough, so this new game can get to US shores faster.  The VB games are actually pretty good boxing games, so I'm looking forward to how this turn out.

Edit: For anyone interested, here are some higher quality screenshots: http://www.dynamiteglove.com/rev.shtml

It seems the game is using some rather nice cel shading techniques

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
One more week. And all the chicagoland Wal Marts are releasing both the PS3 and Wii at midnight on their respective release dates...just incase anyone is interested.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, I'm proud to say that I'm not even aware of the specific release dates here, and I'm actually shocked PS3 will be out already... was it always supposed to be this soon?

CnC, you should post that ytmnd if you haven't already. LOVED it.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
That is awesome and terribly frightening at the same time

"Griffith No More!" said:
Wow, I'm proud to say that I'm not even aware of the specific release dates here, and I'm actually shocked PS3 will be out already... was it always supposed to be this soon?

Despite what they say Im sure they feel pretty threatened by the Nintendo, so Sony is having the Ps3 released two days before the Wii comes out, ready or not. (they're not)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Scorpio said:
Despite what they say, Im sure they feel pretty threatened by the Wii, so Sony is having the Ps3 released two days before the Wii, ready or not. (they're not)

While they'll sell out, theres no way Sony can even talk about true market penetration at launch. They have no chance of doing that just by the numbers alone. So as far as this season goes, they've lost. They just have to keep making them and hope people keep buying them throughout the next year.

Sony's fate will be determined by what they can do over the next 6-8 months.

But that means that the Wii is pretty much going to be the only new console available to most people. So it stands a real chance of dominating both the Japanese and American markets this x-mas.

I'm curious as to how the 360 will do, tho. They just released Gears of War to help sales, and while that game _is_ friggin' awesome I'm wondering if it's having any impact on console sales.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
But that means that the Wii is pretty much going to be the only new console available to most people. So it stands a real chance of dominating both the Japanese and American markets this x-mas.

I think the European market will be determinant... :judo:

Seriously, that's what some guy at MS said about this generation of consoles. Anyway, 2007 will be an important year for the PS3 but I wouldn't say it'll seal its fate for good. 6-8 months seem too short an estimation to me right now, I think we'll need to see the Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2007 before deciding how its debut went. And even after that, it won't be before 2008 until we can pronounce a clear leader (assuming there'll be one) for this generation. In the meantime I assume the X360 and Wii will take advantage of the PS3's low stocks, without necessarily hindering each other.

About the X360 sales, I can't pronounce myself on Gears of War's impact, but I do think the X360 will pick up speed soon enough. All it needs at this point in time is strong enough titles to push people to buy the system, preferably in good quantity, and it's getting them. A price cut would be good too but it doesn't seem to be planned. Nevertheless, I'm sure MS will whip one out when they judge the time right. Something that'll be interesting to see is how the PS2 may hinder the PS3's sales. It's still leading the market as far as sales go, and I'm not sure the PS3 will just naturally take its place.

CnC said:
They just released Gears of War to help sales, and while that game _is_ friggin' awesome I'm wondering if it's having any impact on console sales.

I've been putting off buying a 360 and I gotta say after playing Gears of War at a friends house, I just might open my wallet.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
I think the European market will be determinant... :judo:

haha. what a joke. :troll:

but back to the topic at hand, there has been some initial opinions of the console on review sites. Overall, the opinion is positive but less than stellar.

As far as hardware is concerned, the motion sensitivity works the majority of the time but there are some games where the software doesn't pick up on the signals as well as it should (not a fault of nintendo, but the third party). Also apparently the speaker on the wii-mote is kinda crappy. The sound is tinny and can cut out sometimes.
People are liking Zelda, but would prefer to have the sword swing tied to a button rather than a gesture, as there is no response to different gestures, the sword swings the same everytime. This is mainly the fault of Nintendo porting a Gamecube game to the Wii.

Proj2501 said:
I've been putting off buying a 360 and I gotta say after playing Gears of War at a friends house, I just might open my wallet.

Well, I know _I'm_ addicted to it. :guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
People are liking Zelda, but would prefer to have the sword swing tied to a button rather than a gesture, as there is no response to different gestures, the sword swings the same everytime. This is mainly the fault of Nintendo porting a Gamecube game to the Wii.

So, buy the Wii to play an inferior port of a last generation game available on a last generation system that you already own or could buy for 75% less money? Nintendo has finally lost it on ripping people off with classic game re-releases; they're now literally re-releasing them BEFORE they release the originals. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
"Griffith No More!" said:
So, buy the Wii to play a inferior port of a last generation game available on a last generation system you already own or could buy for 75% less money? Nintendo has finally lost it on ripping people off with classic game re-releases; they're now re-releasing it BEFORE they release the original. =)

Exactly. They're holding the game hostage.

"If you want to see your precious "Zelda" game you better pony up 250 bucks"

Not that I don't completely understand why they're doing it. This is their only real game to sell the system to gamers. The rest of the line-up is more of a tech demo.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Well, I just got screwed out of getting my Wii. Game Crazy just called me and said they don't have one for me even though I was number 3 in line and they are getting 9 systems. I guess after the employees steal 7 systems there won't be any left for Handsome. Looks like I'll be out in the cold tomorrow night. *shiver*

CnC

Ad Oculos
handsome rakshas said:
I guess after the employees steal 7 systems there won't be any left for Handsome. Looks like I'll be out in the cold tomorrow night. *shiver*

Ouch, dude. World's cruel.

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
handsome rakshas said:
Well, I just got screwed out of getting my Wii. Game Crazy just called me and said they don't have one for me even though I was number 3 in line and they are getting 9 systems. I guess after the employees steal 7 systems there won't be any left for Handsome. Looks like I'll be out in the cold tomorrow night. *shiver*

eh, don't worry about it handsome. Hit up a 24 hour wal mart at midnight, or your local target at opening, and just get a refund on your pre order. There's plenty wiis to go around, you just gotta hit up a store that gets more than 10.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Geez, Red Steel is getting panned pretty badly. 5.5 from Gamespot and a 5/10 from 1up.com. I'm not thinking the IGN review will be much better but at least Zelda is doing well with a 8.8 from Gamespot and a 9.5 from IGN. Too bad there won't be enough Zelda to go around.

CnC

Ad Oculos
handsome rakshas said:
Geez, Red Steel is getting panned pretty badly. 5.5 from Gamespot and a 5/10 from 1up.com. I'm not thinking the IGN review will be much better but at least Zelda is doing well with a 8.8 from Gamespot and a 9.5 from IGN. Too bad there won't be enough Zelda to go around.

Actually 8.8 is kinda lower than I was expecting from Gamespot for Zelda. Kind of like saying its great but not ZELDA great.

Still, its probably the best game for the Wii right now. Excite-truck (or whatever its spelled like) is a joke and Wii-sports (while being a good set of games for the most part) is still kind of like a tech-demo.

Red Steel is a crap, as expected... I want my real sword fighting game! :)

Top Bottom