PS3 and XBOX 360

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I'm happy with my DS at the moment, but when the DVD format goes bye bye I might pick up a PS3 given the Blu-Ray drive.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
KazigluBey said:
I'm happy with my DS at the moment, but when the DVD format goes bye bye I might pick up a PS3 given the Blu-Ray drive.

Too many people have invested a little too much on DVD's to see them go obsolete anytime soon to be honest. Sony did a smart move at releasing the PS3 at the peak of HDtv sales. And in my own personal opinion I've had more use for it than my Xbox as far as media is concerned. Price is overwhelming yes, but in the end most likely you'll end up spending more money on a 360 than a PS3. Point is if you have a decent HDTV, the PS3 is the one to go. All pending on taste off course.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
Price is overwhelming yes, but in the end most likely you'll end up spending more money on a 360 than a PS3. Point is if you have a decent HDTV, the PS3 is the one to go. All pending on taste off course.

I'm pretty sure you can get a good Blu-Ray player and a Xbox 360 for less than a PS3 (this having been the case for a while).

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
I'm pretty sure you can get a good Blu-Ray player and a Xbox 360 for less than a PS3 (this having been the case for a while).

Well yes, and I guess I should've been more specific in the matter. My point is based on several reasons not just Blu-Ray. Myself for example, I wanted to have a next gen console, but at the same time having a Blu-Ray and all. What did took me by surprise was the little things that ended up going in my advantage without even noticing. From watching any form of video formats (except MKV) was a big plus. Able to connect my external HD to a PS3 and use it for all media purposes (and believe me I've got way too many videos in different formats that I would hate to convert them or even burn away money on blank discs). Adding UNIX (PPC) to the PS3 was even greater. Not essential, but like as I said It benefit me more in the long run. Blu-Ray to PS3 HD video format convertion did a big number on me. From 14 to 20 gigs of data, converting them into 4 (720p) to 7 (1080p)gigs able to fit in single or Dual Layer disc.

I can go on really, but it's my own little personal opinion and usage in the matter, and I don't think most people here want to hear them all really :troll:. Buttom line, the one thing Xbox has that PS3 doesn't is cheaper versions. But if you were to get anything close to it (HD space, Wireless Internet adaptor being an example) plus a Blu-Ray player... I'm sorry if you can find it cheaper than a PS3, then I believe I owe you Twinkies and a foot massage. :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
Able to connect my external HD to a PS3 and use it for all media purposes (and believe me I've got way too many videos in different formats that I would hate to convert them or even burn away money on blank discs).

Well as far as the Xbox 360 goes, you can just connect it to your computer and access any HDDs you have there. No need for extra work. Not that the PS3 doesn't have some nice multimedia features, but viewing videos on the Xbox 360 isn't much of a hassle to me.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
Well as far as the Xbox 360 goes, you can just connect it to your computer and access any HDDs you have there. No need for extra work. Not that the PS3 doesn't have some nice multimedia features, but viewing videos on the Xbox 360 isn't much of a hassle to me.
You mean the windows media option on 360? I've tried it a couple of days ago and all I got was major lag (note that my laptop was literally in front of the console lol). I couldn't really pint point the problem, signal was at max, but took almost 13-15 mins. for it to react every button I pressed. I don't even know if it's a Vista thing or something I did wrong.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Nomad said:
You mean the windows media option on 360? I've tried it a couple of days ago and all I got was major lag (note that my laptop was literally in front of the console lol). I couldn't really pint point the problem, signal was at max, but took almost 13-15 mins. for it to react every button I pressed. I don't even know if it's a Vista thing or something I did wrong.

Not only the windows media thing but you can also stream what you have on torrent programs like Azureus Vuze, which is really easy and sooo convenient.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Oburi said:
Not only the windows media thing but you can also stream what you have on torrent programs like Azureus Vuze, which is really easy and sooo convenient.
That I was able to do on PS3, somehow it showed the Vuze logo on my media menu. Wasn't aware 360 was able to do that though. Heh, learn new things everyday. Thanks Oburi.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Nomad said:
That I was able to do on PS3, somehow it showed the Vuze logo on my media menu. Wasn't aware 360 was able to do that though. Heh, learn new things everyday. Thanks Oburi.

Yea same thing happened to me. The logo just showed up in my videos tab and I was like huh? Then i realized I could stream the thousands of hours of anime I had on my computer and watch comfortably from my bed. :guts: I had no idea i could do that on my 360, and I wasn't event trying too lol.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
You mean the windows media option on 360?

Nah that thing blows, I never use it. Thing shouldn't even exist. I mean simple folder sharing that lets you read files that are on your computer with your Xbox 360. Easy to set up and very convenient.

Nomad said:
I couldn't really pint point the problem, signal was at max, but took almost 13-15 mins. for it to react every button I pressed. I don't even know if it's a Vista thing or something I did wrong.

The problem is that Media Center sucks. :ganishka:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Who uses the 360 for media must be really deaf. I only use it to play games, and they have to be pretty loud when i'm playing. Man the 360 is noisy as hell. Not good for movies at all (i even prefered using my old dvd player), at least if you don't like being distracted. During a game it's less problematic.

For media i use the Wii with homebrew (softmoded, no changes to the Wii's hardware). It reminds me of the media capabilities of the original Xbox. It can play anything! Even mkv (not the ones with higher bitrate though). It's small and quiet. Plug in your external HDD or pen with your files and run some awesome homebrew apps, including media players.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
NightCrawler said:
Who uses the 360 for media must be really deaf. I only use it to play games, and they have to be pretty loud when i'm playing. Man the 360 is noisy as hell. Not good for movies at all (i even prefered using my old dvd player), at least if you don't like being distracted. During a game it's less problematic.

For media i use the Wii with homebrew (softmoded, no changes to the Wii's hardware). It reminds me of the media capabilities of the original Xbox. It can play anything! Even mkv (not the ones with higher bitrate though). It's small and quiet. Plug in your external HDD or pen with your files and run some awesome homebrew apps, including media players.
I do this as well, although it does have problems playing most mkvs that I've tried. When I get a PS3 though I'm gonna be wirelessly streaming some awesome HD stuff to it to watch.

Oburi

All praise Grail
NightCrawler said:

Yea the 360 is a little noisy, but it never bothers me because my shit is always so loud that it drowns out the noise. Cmon nightcrawler crank that shit up, dont be a pussy. Whoever thinks the 360 is too loud and distracting isn't playing/watching/listening at the right volume. Turn them shits up!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:

Depends, the newer versions aren't nearly as noisy as the old ones. It's night and day really. Of course not as silent as the Wii, but it's hardly a bother at all when playing games or watching a video. There's also the fact that if you're reading files from your computer you don't use the DVD drive, so it a lot less noisy as well.

Oburi said:
Yea the 360 is a little noisy, but it never bothers me because my shit is always so loud that it drowns out the noise. Cmon nightcrawler crank that shit up, dont be a pussy. Whoever thinks the 360 is too loud and distracting isn't playing/watching/listening at the right volume. Turn them shits up!

Nah I have to agree with him, the early models sound like a planet is taking off... Only it never does take off.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
NightCrawler said:
Mine's from 2006. Didn't knew about the new ones being less noisy.

Really? I've had mine since 2006 since too. To be honest I can't hear very well so I just don't hear the noise from the 360 since I have to turn the tv all the way up.

The whole reason I bought a PS3 is not because of the blu-ray format, blue tooth capability or its superior technical abilities, it was mainly for the games and the classic franchises I like such as metal gear solid and final fantasy being on it.

Sure it is a bit expensive but I had the money to burn at the time so I bought one. That and the Xbox 360 has nothing on it that interests me and those that do are also on PC/PS3. I don't care about Halo, Gears or most of the the other sports, racing, and shooters on it.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
I'm probably going to buy Fat Princess tonight, myself.

Edit:
The game is just as fun as I thought and I think, while short, the single player could still be mildly entertaining when not sifting through Multiplayer. The real fun would be getting 32 SKers on. Are there 32 with a PS3 and willing to buy this game? Highly unlikely...

Here's a video, Bob, that I think sums up the game very well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1qI4ylNgAQ

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Heh, to my surprise I'm addicted to Fat Princess. Like said in the video posted before. The single player mode is more of a "getting to know the classes". But on multiplayer... it's on. Well, I've always been the "capture the flag" kind-a-guy. Fun as hell though.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Stupid question - What is all this fat princess stuff? and as a follow up question why do I care about a game called fat princess?

Oburi said:
Stupid question - What is all this fat princess stuff? and as a follow up question why do I care about a game called fat princess?

Fat Princess is a game out for the PS3 that you have to download from the Playstation store. I just might get it myself now after seeing the trailer that Ko Ninja posted.

Playstation store.
http://www.us.playstation.com/psn/store/20238#%7B%22__s%22%3Anull%7D

Gamespot review.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/fatprincess/index.html?tag=result;title;0

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Very addicting indeed. Just got Turtles in Time Re-Shelled on XBL. I'd like if I could unlock the original game for Nostalgia reasons (and who wouldn't enjoy some sprites?). It's fun if you haven't played it before, albeit very short.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ko Ninja said:
Very addicting indeed. Just got Turtles in Time Re-Shelled on XBL. I'd like if I could unlock the original game for Nostalgia reasons (and who wouldn't enjoy some sprites?). It's fun if you haven't played it before, albeit very short.

Original version isn't available? Then I'll pass. The new graphics aren't so hot.

Top Bottom