PS3 and XBOX 360

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Aazealh said:
Original version isn't available? Then I'll pass. The new graphics aren't so hot.
You are completely correct, sir! I jumped the gun on buying this one, although the main reason was to be playing with some friends. I was just a little tired of playing it through MAME. I was hoping for an unlockable original version. Ah - C'est la vie.

Also, the original Turtles is still on XBL and on sale for 400 points for anyone else who is interested.

Speaking of XLA, anyone planning on picking up Shadow Complex next week? If you are a fan of the Super Metroid, Castlavania: SoTN genre I can't recommend it enough!

Anyone like or hate the new PS3 slim? I think it looks nice but alittle cheap. I might get one in the future for travle reasons but what do you think? Good or bad move? $299 for 120 gigs not so bad.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Anyone like or hate the new PS3 slim? I think it looks nice but alittle cheap. I might get one in the future for travle reasons but what do you think? Good or bad move? $299 for 120 gigs not so bad.
Two potential problems I see with it are the lack of backwards-compatibility with PS1-2 games and the apparent removal of support for running Linux.

However, one of the great advantages of a PS3 is of course a compact Blu-Ray player. For $300, it's pretty much a steal for what you're getting.

Breed1Ghost said:

I like it. If I went by design of the outer shell of a console I would have never gotten the original xbox. Also I think that's the whole point of Sony even creating one of these. So that more people can buy it. The only thing look-wise I don't like is that it doesn't have that glossy finish like the normal ones have.

Anyways, it's finally going to be affordable for those that always wanted one. I am going to get one but not for myself. My gf has been bugging me to get her one ever since she bought me an 80 gig one for X-mas at the insane price tag it was on. lol Now I'll be paying her back with a newer, slimmer PS3 w/ an extra 40 gigs. at less the cost :ganishka:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
The fact that they moved the HD from side to front without tearing the warranty's seal is a big plus. However, the big question remains, will the PS3 slim be compatible with FAT32 formated external HD's. Other than that. I take as good news.

Walter said:
Two potential problems I see with it are the lack of backwards-compatibility with PS1-2 games and the apparent removal of support for running Linux.
Sony announced that once the slim version comes out. The old cased version will be terminated from production. You MAY be able to get an old 80 gig version but Linux compatible for the same price.

Walter said:

However, one of the great advantages of a PS3 is of course a compact Blu-Ray player. For $300, it's pretty much a steal for what you're getting.

The only thing that can fix the bc problem would be that rumored patch that may come out. If its true then that would be awesome. I don't know to much of the slim but so far every PS3 has had PS1 bc if they did take that away that really sucks. Even tho its 120 gigs it'd still be sweet putting a 300+ gig drive in that bad boy.

I'm just really sad I over payed for my first gen 20 giger but putting 300 gigs in it was the best thing ever.

I am thinking about picking up a ps3 slim as soon as I have a chance. We will see if I will turn it on enough or if it will suffer the same fate as my wii . As I barely turn on my wii while I turn on the xbox plenty of times in the week.

Breed1Ghost said:
The only thing that can fix the bc problem would be that rumored patch that may come out. If its true then that would be awesome. I don't know to much of the slim but so far every PS3 has had PS1 bc if they did take that away that really sucks. Even tho its 120 gigs it'd still be sweet putting a 300+ gig drive in that bad boy.

I'm just really sad I over payed for my first gen 20 giger but putting 300 gigs in it was the best thing ever.

I ponied up the big bucks back when the PS3 came out and got the 60GB with all of the card slots, the 4 USB ports and the backwards compatibility (PS2 chip on motherboard). I knew the BC functionality would be lost on later versions, so I paid a higher price because those features were worth it to me, considering my vast library. I've loved the system ever since I got it, it's always been an incredibly sexy piece of hardware. There are some solid, solid games such as Uncharted and Valkyria Chronicles, and I think it's great that more people are going to get to enjoy them now that the system is more affordable.

The fact that you get one of the best Blu-Ray players out there AND a gaming system for $299 is pretty sweet.

Oburi

All praise Grail
The fact that you get one of the best Blu-Ray players out there AND a gaming system for $299 is pretty sweet.

Yup. ANd now that my 360 is out of service I might just buy the ps3. And Valkyria Chronicles is really a kick ass game.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
http://ps3.qj.net/Contrary-to-what-Square-Enix-would-have-us-believe-FFXIII-PS3-IS-compromised/pg/49/aid/134299
Apparently, in order to be "fair," the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIII is going to have limitations on it. :schierke:
When Final Fantasy moved to PlayStation 2, it only ever appeared on 1 DVD. This meant that unlike previous iterations on the original PlayStation, every area within the game could technically be open at any time. In previous games, some areas appeared on some discs, and were closed off in others. The same can even be said for games such as Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360, due to the space constraints of the DVD, the majority of side-quests appeared on the final disc. Final Fantasy XIII will be affected in the same way.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Darklink286 said:
http://ps3.qj.net/Contrary-to-what-Square-Enix-would-have-us-believe-FFXIII-PS3-IS-compromised/pg/49/aid/134299
Apparently, in order to be "fair," the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIII is going to have limitations on it. :schierke:

If I get it right, the only thing being compromised is the fact the PS3 versions won't have Japanese voices with subtitled English. Which I agree does suck when they could do it. Now however I'll point out that when it comes to translations, Square Enix have always been lazy and I could see this simply being a lack of effort on their part conveniently put on account of the multiplatform. Did they ever do a double dub/sub version before? I think they might be afraid it'd become a standard and that they'd have to do it all the time or something.

As for the part you quoted, it's just what a PS3 fan site speculated about what the PS3 version could lose.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
Don't let it surprise you if you see an add-on on the Playstation Network with audio and subtitle tracks... for an extra 15.99 that is! :troll:

All jokes aside, it's just yet another dispute about DVD & Blu-Ray debacle. I don't blame Square for it, all multi platform games have done the same. Plus, doesn't PS3 have a FFXIV tittle in the works?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
All jokes aside, it's just yet another dispute about DVD & Blu-Ray debacle. I don't blame Square for it, all multi platform games have done the same. Plus, doesn't PS3 have a FFXIV tittle in the works?

It's a MMORPG, "sequel" to FFXI, and will be available on PC as well.

So I just bought myself a ps3 with batman Arkham Asylum, Killzone 2 and Resistance 2. I like it so far, Nomad you have to recommend me some more stuff to do later ^_^.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ELEKTRO said:
So I just bought myself a ps3 with batman Arkham Asylum, Killzone 2 and Resistance 2. I like it so far, Nomad you have to recommend me some more stuff to do later ^_^.
The first thing I'd get if I had a PS3 would be MGS4. Other than that, I'd also get Dead Space if you haven't played it yet.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
ELEKTRO said:
Pretty much what Wally said really. Knowing you however, I'll add Warhawk to the list. My gamertag is the same as 360 (NomadIV).
Now as far as PS3 goes, remember that you can always convert HD video files (blu-ray or MKV) into a PS3 HD MPEG. This little feller will allow you to have a full 1080p resolution under 4.5 Gigs, however... you won't have a 5.1 audio. Oooh don't forget Little Big Planet! :badbone:

Anyone here interested in Gran Turismo 5? It's going to feature head-tracking.

Too lazy to explain what it is, go here: http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5s-head-tracking-explained/

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Oblivious said:
Anyone here interested in Gran Turismo 5? It's going to feature head-tracking.

Too lazy to explain what it is, go here: http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5s-head-tracking-explained/
The same kind of visual effect was shown about a year back or so but with the Wii controllers. Now this feature is niffty, is this what we can expect from GT5? Or os this only prototype?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
The first thing I'd get if I had a PS3 would be MGS4. Other than that, I'd also get Dead Space if you haven't played it yet.
Let me add Valkyria Chronicles to that list. It's a Strategy-RPG with a really unique colored-pencil art direction. I've only read stellar things about it, and it'd buy it in a heartbeat if I had a PS3. It's also only $20 at Walmart online. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9904493 :isidro:

Nomad said:
The same kind of visual effect was shown about a year back or so but with the Wii controllers. Now this feature is niffty, is this what we can expect from GT5? Or os this only prototype?

No, this is what to expect. GT5 is nearing completion.

Top Bottom