Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Phoenix Wrong! said:
The Serpent and the Rainbow

If Chris doesn't get his scrotum nailed to a chair than I refuse to play the game. :troll:

Seriously though, it'd be cool if they tied RE zombie myths into voodoo zombie myths... Nothing stupid like "zomg, a witch doctor is raising the dead!!!!!1!!!1" but something subtle or faux-science like "oh, btw, that blowfish they've been using in rituals contains a super T virus, zomg!!!!11!!1!!!!"

Abul-Abbas said:
If Chris doesn't get his scrotum nailed to a chair than I refuse to play the game. :troll:
OMG YOU TOO? Sweet, I thought I was the only one.

Abul-Abbas said:
Seriously though, it'd be cool if they tied RE zombie myths into voodoo zombie myths... Nothing stupid like "zomg, a witch doctor is raising the dead!!!!!1!!!1" but something subtle or faux-science like "oh, btw, that blowfish they've been using in rituals contains a super T virus, zomg!!!!11!!1!!!!"
That's pretty much what I see RE4/RE5 as having tried/trying to do. I'm pretty sure Wesker's taken the Ganados/plagas sample via ADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and charged it up to some super zombie serum, it'd be pretty insane.
Question being is Wesker finally going to bite the bullet in this or forever be RE's behind-the-scenes villain?

I don't know how Chris will take him down personally. He's buffed up since RE CV much like Leon had after RE2, but eh, once we discover Wesker can fly, its over, RE is finished.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, I haven't seen the movie so couldn't comment, though Aaz and I thought Haiti was a neat choice as it's the cultural home of the true zombie (which from the description, it sounds like that's what the subject matter of the film deals with; looks cool BTW). Though, as cool as that is for RE5 (and I love it), it fell into technicalities that were irrelevant to the superficial perspective of the game; it could even be seen as a more direct attack and gross misrepresentation of Haitian society and their cultural heritage, "They're saying we're all evil zombies and need to be killed!" But I don't think so personally, just playing zombie's advocate here. :guts:

GnM, I get what you're saying but I really must recommend S&R for further commentary. I'm not saying "This influence on RE5 completely excuses any racial sensitivity" or the like, but for me it is a primary factor in to why the locale of haiti+black zombies vs lone white man is nothing "new"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_wyyheGsw
small incoherent tribute (hard to find anything on it via the youtube, lest this is the exact vid clip you watched when looking?) but you should at least get the general setting. While S&R does deal with the more voodoo-oriented zombie (again, we know absolutely nothing about the zombies in RE5, but I'm assuming like you its some super-plaga-T-Virus thing) I don't think on the racial note it was anymore different than RE4 was (and still is). I don't see it as any form of attack against Haiti other than again, Capcom using the successful formula of RE4 and running with it.

Now if in RE6 we get Barry Burton, arguably the best symbol of the white man ever created in the RE universe, landing down in Afghanistan to battle the zombie-terrorist menace, I'll resign myself to the same thought train.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix Wrong! said:
That's pretty much what I see RE4/RE5 as having tried/trying to do. I'm pretty sure Wesker's taken the Ganados/plagas sample via ADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and charged it up to some super zombie serum, it'd be pretty insane.

Well, I've had this idea ever since RE4 came out that maybe the Plagas were the basis for the Nemesis parasite. It's mostly me trying to find connexions in Capcom's uber retarded plots, so it's probably never going to happen, but to me it seems fitting. Nemesis was from the European branch of Umbrella, Saddler could have been the project leader at the time but he became mad, maybe after becoming himself contaminated by Plagas (through the microscopic pores bullshit) and decided to revive them and take over the world. I think it works on many levels, and using the excuse of parasite filled "intelligent" zombies could be very interesting. Especially if they did something crazy like having regular zombies, Plagas only derivated monsters, and a mix of the both. Possibly fighting each other. Now just like the logical, efficient story I imagined for RE4 was far from the truth, I have the highest doubts this will ever be in a Resident Evil plot. =)

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Question being is Wesker finally going to bite the bullet in this or forever be RE's behind-the-scenes villain?

They've raised him from the dead in a gross retcon so he could be a super-strong cold assassin AND an evil mastermind, so unfortunately my fears are that he'll live forever. Besides, they can't resolve Ada's plot without Leon being there, and they can't kill off Wesker without Chris (or at the very least Jill), so unless they bring everyone together in one game I don't know how they'll pull it off. Well, in fact I do know how: shittily. :judo:

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Now if in RE6 we get Barry Burton, arguably the best symbol of the white man ever created in the RE universe, landing down in Afghanistan to battle the zombie-terrorist menace, I'll resign myself to the same thought train.

Come on, Barry's awesome. =) We need more of him, and with a Smith & Wesson Model 500 this time, a real man's weapon. :carcus:

Aazealh said:
I have the highest doubts this will ever be in a Resident Evil plot. =)
Well you also got to level a little with Capcom, going from a basis from Sweet Home (NES) and combining the classic Romero zombie, followed by Resident Evil's (first one) worldwide success, they finally had to start working out a desperate plot (like all franchises) to continue making games. I think the only "bad" thing about RE4 was the plot being somewhat of a beautiful disaster, trying to go for that "Different from Romero" approach but still realizing they had to include all the gameplay ideas they had. I remember (I believe it was Shinji?) from the dev team saying that after RE4 he was heavily inspired by Half Life 2, so I'm interested into how he'll incorporate any of that (so far I haven't noticed anything "new", but who knows).
Aazealh said:
They've raised him from the dead in a gross retcon so he could be a super-strong cold assassin AND an evil mastermind, so unfortunately my fears are that he'll live forever.
He wears his sunglasses at night (enter the tribute video). I personally hope like you listed later on, that this -is- that type of finale (kind of how we envision the battle of 1999 in Castlevania, not the end of the series etc but still the "finale"). Leon, Claire, Jill, Ada and the like all showing up for some kind of epic showdown (If UC isn't such?) and possibly having them all playable. Or, pull a Kojima and take every negative criticism/fear of shifting main character and make them all incredibly more badass than their previous entries and saying "lol just watch them in action."

Aazealh said:
Come on, Barry's awesome. =) We need more of him, and with a Smith & Wesson Model 500 this time, a real man's weapon. :carcus:
Oh no doubting the awesomeness of Barry, if anything I was attributing that charisma he has. Either way, he still hasn't had his sandwich. Unforgivable.

Griffith

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Or, pull a Kojima and take every negative criticism/fear of shifting main character and make them all incredibly more badass than their previous entries and saying "lol just watch them in action."

You mean like Resident Evil 4? I'm still kind of bemused that Leon went from being the most believable character in the series to the most unbelievable.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
You mean like Resident Evil 4? I'm still kind of bemused that Leon went from being the most believable character in the series to the most unbelievable.

He was too much of a wimp, now he's BADASS! :badbone: But of course, since Chris is the real ultimate badass of the RE universe, now he can kill zombies with bare hands, just punching them in the face. :isidro:

Aazealh said:
Well, apparently Sony & Capcom are making a CG movie now. Hopefully it won't be nearly as shitty as the live action ones.

EDIT: Some new screenshots from Capcom, showing a little more of Wesker's adventures: http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000062165/ (don't mind the text)
Oh Aazealh you messiah of messengers. Thanks for this info, it gives me VERY little but yet feint white light of hope. The youtube videos/cam shots of extinction...
The tyrant fight..
Wesker...
Sigh. Let's just say it boils down to Tyrant talking, using ESP, having a limp tentacle arm and Alice using ESP on him...and hand to hand knife combat. And Wesker being about as business-oriented as business tycoon gets.

As for Leon in RE4, I Don't think his commando build was the unrealistic (sans everything going on in RE) part, it was how he went from as GnM pointed out, the most realistic RE hero to completely nonchalant about everything. The scene at the lake was pretty much the end all for me.
*survives harrowing escape*
"..."
*drives off*

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Well, apparently Sony & Capcom are making a CG movie now. Hopefully it won't be nearly as shitty as the live action ones.

Oh, it's all but guaranteed to be as or more shitty than the live-action ones.

Seems like they will present us with a healthy dose of Lisa Trevor. Which is dandy, IMO. My curiosity was never fully satisfied regarding her anyways. Also, in Aaz's link, is that the 'twitchy' Tyrant from RE0?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix Wrong! said:
As for Leon in RE4, I Don't think his commando build was the unrealistic (sans everything going on in RE) part, it was how he went from as GnM pointed out, the most realistic RE hero to completely nonchalant about everything. The scene at the lake was pretty much the end all for me.

The most ridiculous part, IMHO, is how Leon is completely unconcerned by the fact he's contaminated by a Plaga. It's almost like Ada forces him to take his meds at times, while he just forgets it or brushes it off.

CnC said:
Oh, it's all but guaranteed to be as or more shitty than the live-action ones.

:judo:

Proj2501 said:
Also, in Aaz's link, is that the 'twitchy' Tyrant from RE0?

Yup. Prototype! =)

Aazealh said:
The most ridiculous part, IMHO, is how Leon is completely unconcerned by the fact he's contaminated by a Plaga. It's almost like Ada forces him to take his meds at times, while he just forgets it or brushes it off.
I kind of looked at that as Ashley being the more weirded out, with Leon playing the "being strong for the both of us route", but in all honesty I'd be sitting there with his hunting knife "OH FUCKING SHIT GET IT OUT OF ME" Or maybe after RE2 (Again with the whole nonchalant thing), after having experienced a zombie outbreak, maybe life just doesn't get much worse and Leon has cause to be optimistic.

As for the movie, as long as sony has little say so over what happens (IE MAKE IT ALICE LOL) I think it'll be great, maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Lots of people are for and against the new voice actor for wesker.
Well, he sure is hamming it up more than normal: "ZOMBIEZ." This guy's like a parody of Wesker.

That's not to say I don't like it :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I liked the old voice actor better, so I'll regret him, but this one isn't too bad either. He's obviously trying to mimick his predecessor, which is laudable but makes him sound a little too much like he's got a stuffy nose IMO.

Griffith

Well, they've already been using different Wesker voice actors depending on the game, even ones released around the same time, or switching back and forth. They seem to have a different one depending on how ridiculous the game is supposed to be, at least that's my way of knowing. =)

For example, since Wesker's not supposed to be known as a villain and because they're also playing it straight in REmake, he has a different voice actor who uses a normal voice, it still sounds like Wesker, just not so over the top. In RE0 on the other hand, it's the more ridiculous and hammy Count Dracula style of Code Veronica we've come to get used to, which makes sense since it's the same voice actor. The differences are obvious right down to the dialogue, in REmake he's totally straightforward and cold, even after his reveal, he's more cold-blooded killer than "I vant to suck your blud!" villain, then in RE0, which takes place within the same 48 hours, he's back to smugly spouting silly nonsensical diatribes about Umbrella, conspiracies, and more blah blah with William Birkin, the two of them awkwardly hanging out and rapping about the events of the day like friends after school.

Ugh, this fuckin' series! I liked it better when the cheesy B movie quality was unintentional and natural rather than forced, going back to my Leon bitterness. :guts:

LOL Bee's!!! Their every where!!!

I like that Richard appears to be a playable character. Poor Richard got it bad in both the original and the remake. "This house is full of demons." or is it "Monsters." Any how in the original in sound like he was stoned out of his mind. lol

acording to one Nintendo fansite (can't remember the name/link), Leon and Claire (RE2 scenario) are indeed playable, and so are the Leon and Ada of RE4 in their own scenario. I haven't seen much water to the supposed confirmed news (in and of itself supposedly two months old), however, Prima mistakenly revealed its guide info a bit too early and shows Ada is indeed selectable (Be it extra mission or main game). Still no concrete info on Leon and Claire/RE2 scenario though.

Top Bottom