Summary of new information from Mori's interviews about volume 42

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mori's done a slew of interviews to promote the release of volume 42. I've summarized the most relevant excerpts below.

The continuation and its progress

-The new chapter is the final chapter for the series. [Da Vinci]
-"It won't take 10 years" to complete the story. [Mainichi]
-Mori has heard about the final sequence of the story "dozens of times" from Miura, and presumably knows what part Guts' companions should play in it. [Da Vinci]

The decision to start the project

-Mori admits to a selfish desire of wanting to be involved in Berserk's conclusion, saying it helped him deal with his grief. [Yahoo News]
-A "memo" containing some details about future developments was found after Miura passed away. (but had no information about the ending) [Oricon]
-Akira Shimada, Berserk's original editor and now a higher up at Hakusensha, was involved in the original plan of getting Mori to produce a short book with illustrations to recap the ending of the story. [Da Vinci]
-Mori seems to have been reluctant to draw illustrations himself even for the "mook" project he considered before they decided to do a direct continuation to the manga. (The current system with the assistants may have been a way out of sorts for him.) [Yahoo News]
-Mori seems convinced that the final sequence of events Miura had planned can only be properly told in manga form. [Yahoo News]
-Mori reiterates that he was astonished that the assistants managed to complete episode 364. [Yahoo News]
-Someone continuing another mangaka's work is a rare occurrence, and it's implied that Mori's long-lasting friendship and deep bond with Miura was a deciding factor in allowing this continuation for Young Animal's editorial board. [Mainichi]

Working with Studio Gaga

-When the continuation project started, Mori had a meeting with the assistants that lasted 3 to 4 hours where he told them what he knew. Since then, he's been exchanging messages with Kurosaki, who leads the staff. He gives advice on the storyboards, but the final work is up to Studio Gaga. [Digital Asahi]
-Mori told the assistants about what he knew of the story partly so that it wouldn't be lost if he died himself. [Da Vinci]
-Once a month, Mori meets with Studio Gaga's staff to discuss several episodes at once. He double checks what he had heard from Miura with YA's editorial department, and decides on how the story will progress based on their feedback. Kurosaki is the one who draws the storyboards, which Mori then checks to see if they are close enough to what he thinks Miura envisioned. After that the staff takes care of everything else. [Yahoo News]
-Mori does ask the staff to rework parts of the episodes to reflect Miura's style more when necessary. [Yahoo News]
-On his working relationship with Studio Gaga staff: he explains the content of an episode during a meeting, and when he sees the storyboards, he'll ask them to show a scene from a specific angle or to change the placement of Guts to better match Miura's drawing habits, that sort of thing. After that he's not involved. He insists that he puts nothing from himself in it, only conveying what he knows from Miura to the staff. He thinks they then do a great job of "making it into Berserk". [Da Vinci]
-They considered training a generative AI model with a large number of scenes drawn by Miura to help create drafts, but it wasn't viable so they're doing it the "traditional" way. [Yahoo News]
-Mori says Kurosaki and Sugimoto are the "pillars" of Studio Gaga, and believes they have the talent to become top-notch mangaka after they finish Berserk. [Yahoo News]
-Mori says his role is just to explain the story, so he doesn't have much to do. [Mainichi]
-"My burden isn't that great since I only supervise." [Yahoo News]

Reception of the continuation

-Regarding feedback, Hakusensha and Mori have received "a variety of opinions", including negative ones from readers who say they won't read this "fake Berserk". They highlight positive opinions, including from "overseas fans" who are happy the series has restarted. [Yahoo News]
-Mori says even he has mixed feelings about continuing the manga with uninterrupted volume numbering. (as opposed to doing a separate thing) [Yahoo News]
-He says it's natural that some people will be in favor and some against the project, and that it's impossible to satisfy all fans. But he hopes that even fans who dislike the continuation will cherish the 41 volumes that Miura created. [Yahoo News]
-Mori says there are many things he wants to say to Miura. Regarding the continuation, it boils down to "I did what I could." [Yahoo News]
-Mori has been conflicted about the continuation, thinking that maybe they shouldn't be doing this since Miura isn't here anymore, before declaring he'll just pass on Miura's words. [Digital Asahi]
-Mori believes that continuing another mangaka's work shouldn't be done, as "a manga belongs to its creator". However as a mangaka he also knows the pain of a story ending prematurely, before it has been fully told. [Mainichi]
-Mori felt he had no choice but to push for this project because he was the only one who knew the ending, even though under normal circumstances there shouldn't be a Berserk without Miura. [Da Vinci]

Mori's other projects

-Mori's current manga "Taiga of Genesis" was originally called "Alpha Seven" and had a completely different story. Miura was the one who gave him the current title and suggested he do a time travel story back to prehistoric times. Mori redid the pitch in 3 days with that feedback. [Da Vinci]
-Mori wanted to do D. Diver because Miura had consulted with him on its creation, and afterwards he will draw "Mori-chan Ken-chan", as Miura had wished. [Da Vinci]

Miscellaneous

-The reporter remarks that Mori always pronounces Miura's name with the wrong intonation in Japanese, which Mori can't really explain. Because the reporter says he pronounces it like you would for a Lamborghini Miura, Mori recounts that Miura was a fast runner in school, had great physical strength and "horse power". [Da Vinci]
-Mori goes over how him and Miura used to convey scenes to each other (same thing he describes in the afterword to volume 42). [Da Vinci]

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @Aazealh I definitely didn't know about all of those interviews, just a handful. Now we have a much better picture of Mori’s process with Studio Gaga, along with his inner conflict with continuing Berserk in this fashion.

I suppose among all of those things, what grabbed me the most was were these two:

-Akira Shimada, Berserk's original editor and now a higher up at Hakusensha, was involved in the original plan of getting Mori to produce a short book with illustrations to recap the ending of the story. [Da Vinci]
It really had potential to go that way...

He double checks what he had heard from Miura with YA's editorial department, and decides on how the story will progress based on their feedback.
Maybe it's just a formality, but this sounds like Hakusensha has an opportunity to voice objections for how the story goes (Marketing guy: "Hmm, maybe we could have Guts wallow in the ship for a few more episodes just to string this for the full volume 42!"), instead of it all being straight from Miura's will (via Mori).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It really had potential to go that way...

We already knew it but it seems clear it was episode 364 that convinced him to pursue a continuation of the manga instead. That and, as he said in the original announcement, the fact the assistants straight-up asked him to let them do it. My guess is Shimada would have backed his choice either way.

Maybe it's just a formality, but this sounds like Hakusensha has an opportunity to voice objections for how the story goes (Marketing guy: "Hmm, maybe we could have Guts wallow in the ship for a few more episodes just to string this for the full volume 42!"), instead of it all being straight from Miura's will (via Mori).

I think he rather means that he checks to make sure the information he remembers matches what the editor remembers from his own talks with Miura (as he did them the courtesy of discussing future events with them). Sorry if that was unclear, I've tried to convey the key information as plainly and faithfully as possible but it's kind of a rushed job to be honest.

Thanks for putting this together Aaz. It seems like he's aware of some of the risks and shortcomings of this approach. I wish he had more input on the dialogue.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I find somehow... jarring that the main source of information on the continuation of Berserk is also so loosely involved in the actual project execution.

To me, it feels like an abdication of responsibility. He gets to play the best part as the providential man who knows the ending – and seems happy to be the face of the project – while also not really being accountable for how it turns out.

From his various comments on the topic, it seems he believes involving himself more directly would kind of "contaminate" the project, because then it would be "another mangaka" taking up the series, yet is fine with the assistants doing it instead because he views them as an extension of Miura (his "disciples"). I don't buy that rationale at all and I don't think it makes any sense, especially when you know how little Miura actually let them contribute to Berserk.

If we keep it real, it's obvious Mori doesn't have the technical skill to imitate Miura's art style, and that's probably why he's been unwilling to do it himself. But having Kurosaki do the storyboards instead puts an enormous responsibility on him and effectively makes him the mangaka in charge of producing these episodes, even if he doesn't get credited as such. I guess they're both happy with this arrangement, but... well, we've seen the results.

After reading this I feel it is harder for me to have as much disdain for what is being attempted.

Mori is obviously torn and it's hard to not put myself in his shoes. Were it a close friend of mine the emotional toil would be familiar. His confidence is questionable with certain decisions. Perhaps not even that, more so treading carefully in grief.

I'm honestly not enjoying the continuation as much as I could. It's hard to accept the story must have an asterisk in the background. Visuals and the embodiment Miura brought to each panel feels void and hollow.

I don't buy that rationale at all and I don't think it makes any sense, especially when you know how little Miura actually let them contribute to Berserk.
Do we know why that's the case? Why was he reluctant to have someone aid him in his work? Was it too difficult to create an inhouse style that was based on Miura's, like how MARVEL made artists study and imitate Jack Kirby's style? Surely they could have spared him from doing background details, some smaller panels, etc.

Mori's done a slew of interviews to promote the release of volume 42. I've summarized the most relevant excerpts below.
that's definitely a good summary of the interviews, personally as someone who's read the non-miura chapters, I hope the series does continue into the "end" of the story, even if it's not entirely the same.

I miss Miura so much :sad:

Reading all of this just made me miss him all the more. While I appreciate Mori and Studio Gaga for trying their best with Berserk, it just isn't the same. I haven't even bothered reading episode 374 because I've become so disinterested in the material.

Would have vastly preferred anything else but a continuation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Do we know why that's the case? Why was he reluctant to have someone aid him in his work?

Because he had very high standards for his work and didn't think they were good enough to contribute more. See what he said when Dur-An-Ki was announced.

My staff is competent but I still draw almost every part myself, so it brings out more and more delays. I hope my assistants' skills will grow with Duranki, so I get to think "this is good enough". So this can make me consider using them more for Berserk, and then I hope Berserk's publication speed will get faster.

Since he was getting older and couldn't work as intensively anymore, he realized he would be forced to delegate more of the work if he hoped to finish the series properly. Dur-An-Ki was meant to be the training grounds in which they would rise to a level he deemed acceptable. The move to digital artwork was also made to serve that goal, as he mentions in the Artwork of Berserk interview. He preferred analog drawing, but digital was necessary to make better use of his assistants.

Surely they could have spared him from doing background details, some smaller panels, etc.

Cleaning, toning and minute background details is what they did, although he was still doing most of the backgrounds himself. Kurosaki said on Twitter that Miura did 99% of the work on Berserk, and I don't think that was an exaggeration.

I hope the series does continue into the "end" of the story, even if it's not entirely the same.

"Not entirely the same" is the mother of all euphemisms here. So far it's been nothing like what Miura would have done... But I do hope we get to the end sooner than later.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, just glad it's going to purportedly be over soon; just take the boat to Griffith's new backyard deck and finish the job:

Just like Ferrari Miura would have wanted! :schierke: :miura:

I'm being ungraceful, but, despite still saying all the right things, the jury is back and it's clear now they're doing the wrong thing. It pains to know how close it came to Mori's original idea for an illustrated summary, and whatever ending could only be properly depicted in manga could also only be properly depicted by Miura, so this doesn't accomplish anything. At least it makes sense now knowing that, whatever firsthand info they've got, this thing is basically being written by committee. Doesn't excuse it, but at least it explains it somewhat.

Last edited:

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
From his various comments on the topic, it seems he believes involving himself more directly would kind of "contaminate" the project, because then it would be "another mangaka" taking up the series, yet is fine with the assistants doing it instead because he views them as an extension of Miura (his "disciples"). I don't buy that rationale at all and I don't think it makes any sense, especially when you know how little Miura actually let them contribute to Berserk.
Definitely comes from a place of grief, plus wanting to stay focused on his other project.
If we keep it real, it's obvious Mori doesn't have the technical skill to imitate Miura's art style, and that's probably why he's been unwilling to do it himself.
This part is a mistake, because he is a vastly better panelist and writer than anyone at the studio. Since that wasn't possible, it makes sense that the project suffers. Sounds like he is frustrated by the details and easily overwhelmed by the overall assignment. :SK:

-Regarding feedback, Hakusensha and Mori have received "a variety of opinions", including negative ones from readers who say they won't read this "fake Berserk".
-Mori says even he has mixed feelings about continuing the manga with uninterrupted volume numbering.
Could someone kindly send me the screenshots of these? I don't have a VPN and I need them for something I'm working on.

Top Bottom