What Are You Playing?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Beast of Darkness said:
wait... what did you just said about Super Ghouls'n Ghosts ? Why is it "gross" ? It's the best one in the entire series.

I like the idea of Ghouls n Ghosts. But two decades removed from its inception, it's punishingly difficult and not very much fun. Similarly, Starfox is a real chore to play now, but I keenly remember how incredible it looked and felt back in the day.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I like the idea of Ghouls n Ghosts. But two decades removed from its inception, it's punishingly difficult and not very much fun.

I distinctly remember how funny it was when you get knocked down to your underoos halfway through the first level, but unfortunately that's also about as far as I got. =)

Playing... a reinstalled Dark Souls II until 3am before a tough day at work! Noooooooo! :judo: I did beat the third DLC boss and am now taking care of loose ends (the optional "pets" in the Frigid Outskirts and then Sir Alonne). Had the pets on the ropes last night until one jumped seemingly halfway across the arena to kill me mid-Estus (and it was such a pain to get there)! I'M PLAYING DSII AGAIN AND I HATE THIS GAME! :mozgus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'M PLAYING DSII AGAIN AND I HATE THIS GAME! :mozgus:

I've got a few of those ... There is something about Dark Souls II that is captivating. Maybe it's that ever-present sense of: "It'll get good in the next zone, for sure." :void:

Played a few games on the SNES Classic with my son (almost 5 years old) over the weekend. During Secret of Mana: "This is fun, Dada. Why don't more games let us play together like this?"

Kid has a good point... The quick drop-in/out multiplayer in Secret of Mana is fucking fantastic. There are certainly co-op experiences these days, but nothing quite like Secret of Mana comes to mind. That game is more than 20 years old, and it's incredible to me how they nailed a single/multiplayer RPG, seemingly on the first pass.

Also, my son is super into Mega Man, and really loves Mega Man X so far. But I don't know what I'm going to tell him when I get to Sigma and absolutely can't beat him...

Walter said:
Also, my son is super into Mega Man, and really loves Mega Man X so far. But I don't know what I'm going to tell him when I get to Sigma and absolutely can't beat him...

I have never beaten final phase Sigma even though I was raised on playing the game (starting at 4 years of age), and I'm still too afraid to even try. Memories like that boss battle stick with you, especially when you're traumatized young.... :shiver:

Love the rest of the game, though. Could play it over and over.

And with the point about drop-in multiplayer, I agree. One could say that most games aren't designed to accommodate multiple people being able to join due to the nature of the game design (allies, extra assistance could break the game/make it too easy). To that I'd say make the decision early on in games to accommodate it and make whatever adjustments necessary, rather than try to fit it in after the fact. Couch co-op is really, really special for games. The possibilities in bonding with friends and family alone make up for whatever lengths are taken to make it possible.

Griffith

Walter said:
I've got a few of those ... There is something about Dark Souls II that is captivating. Maybe it's that ever-present sense of: "It'll get good in the next zone, for sure." :void:

I think that's definitely part of it, like it's all just going to click if I put a little more into it... And sometimes it does, like right now I took down the King's Pets and Alonne and am ready for NG+ in good conscience, which will be at least my 4th playthrough actually, though this the first to completion. Anyway, even that, vacuous and frustruating as you aptly describe it, slog has a certain kind of appeal, like the game is trying to be more Dark Souls somehow, or the embodiment of the original's reputation as a dark, dreary, and punishing game. Except DS1 actually had a pretty rousing and even romantic mythology, and though things had gone to shit or were winding down, you were on the precipace, if not the driving force, of an exciting revival. In DS2 everything sucks and has gone to shit as well, which you hear again, and again, and again, and again, but this time you're just kind if stuck in it for the duration. It has its own charm I guess. =)

Walter said:
Played a few games on the SNES Classic with my son (almost 5 years old) over the weekend. During Secret of Mana: "This is fun, Dada. Why don't more games let us play together like this?"

Kid has a good point... The quick drop-in/out multiplayer in Secret of Mana is fucking fantastic. There are certainly co-op experiences these days, but nothing quite like Secret of Mana comes to mind. That game is more than 20 years old, and it's incredible to me how they nailed a single/multiplayer RPG, seemingly on the first pass.

The irony is the Wii U probably did this better than anything; I hope they port over the co-op Mario platformers to Switch to go with Mario Kart (and did they NOT port Smash?) for you and the boy. Those are perfect co-op for gamers of all ages and skills.

Walter said:

That's a lad with good taste, and if you want to save face, and put him to the test, tell him you've done enough and he has to do it and see if the kid reflexes take over. :ganishka:

BTW, a reminder that you gotta try Shovel Knight co-op with him if you haven't already. It's Mega Man meets Mana!

Walter said:
That game is more than 20 years old, and it's incredible to me how they nailed a single/multiplayer RPG, seemingly on the first pass.

I see developers these days talking about game play loops and player feedback systems. It just seems too sterile or as if they are trying to manufacture a new type of drug that will addict the player in a responsible and satisfactory way. I think hardware constraints and a spirit of exploration (rather than refinement) are why these older games feel so good to play today. Plus every damn game these days is so overblown and massive that its refreshing to just hand the controller to the kids and actually play the game.

I'm curious how your son likes playing with a controller. My little one is pretty overwhelmed by the controller since she's used to touch inputs at this point but she loves the art style of Rayman, so we give it a try from time to time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ThePiedPiper said:
One could say that most games aren't designed to accommodate multiple people being able to join due to the nature of the game design (allies, extra assistance could break the game/make it too easy).

I definitely think games getting more complex has prohibited a simple drop-in mechanic from being more commonplace. It works in Secret of Mana because it's all relatively simple. You already have a second and third optional player character, so whether they're controlled by AI or another player is pretty arbitrary to the game design. Most games don't work that way, of course. That being said, why couldn't this have been done with Mass Effect? I know that game is very story-driven, but how fucking cool would that have been?

Griffith said:
The irony is the Wii U probably did this better than anything; I hope they port over the co-op Mario platformers to Switch to go with Mario Kart (and did they NOT port Smash?) for you and the boy. Those are perfect co-op for gamers of all ages and skills.

He really doesn't care for Mario Kart. His coordination isn't quite there yet. He just runs into walls and gets frustrated. But yeah, I'm really counting on Nintendo releasing 3D World on the Switch, because I've been dying to play it.

Speaking of which, I'm relieved that he prefers Super Mario World to Super Mario Bros. 3. Just like dad! :slan:

BTW, a reminder that you gotta try Shovel Knight co-op with him if you haven't already. It's Mega Man meets Mana!

Awesome, I didn't even know there was a co-op mode in that. I played it on 3DS, but maybe I'll get it for Switch if he's interested.

buttonmasher said:
I see developers these days talking about game play loops and player feedback systems. It just seems too sterile or as if they are trying to manufacture a new type of drug that will addict the player in a responsible and satisfactory way.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think it's natural for game developers to want to refine the process of making games. And the industry has basically segmented into several different ones at this point, each with their own pools of players. There's the "mainstream" market for AAA games, the "indie" market for simpler experiences, and the "mobile" market for dumpster diving modern roulette. It's common for people to be concerned that games are getting focus-tested to death, but well, sometimes it works. Valve uses TONS of focus-testing and their end products are super refined — you know, when they remember they can release games instead of just selling them.

EDIT: Oh, you mean like mobile games, designed to drain every last $1 out of you, right? If so, I honestly don't spend time on those kinds of experiences. They're just not for me.

Plus every damn game these days is so overblown and massive that its refreshing to just hand the controller to the kids and actually play the game.

:ganishka: PLAY. THE. GAME. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=930H_ZRExbg

I'm curious how your son likes playing with a controller. My little one is pretty overwhelmed by the controller since she's used to touch inputs at this point but she loves the art style of Rayman, so we give it a try from time to time.

Yeah, his very first gaming (and laptop) experiences made him want to touch things to make them happen. But he's seen me use a controller enough that he understands some games use touch and some games use controllers. His actual hands-on time with controllers is pretty minimal, so when he does play, he needs guidance doing common-yet-complex things with controllers like doing a running jump in Mario (hold run, hold right, AND jump at the right moment). Watching him struggle with that make me consider what makes sense to do in video games. That running-jumping thing feels very un-Nintendo these days :guts:

But in other respects, he's grasping new concepts incredibly fast, which is of course what kids are great at. We played through Monument Valley over the weekend (he loved it), and he would end up solving puzzles where I was stuck ("Here, dada. Let me.")

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I definitely think games getting more complex has prohibited a simple drop-in mechanic. It works in Secret of Mana because it's all relatively simple. You already have a second and third optional player character, so whether they're controlled by AI or another player is pretty arbitrary to the game design. Most games don't work that way, of course. That being said, why couldn't this have been done with Mass Effect? How fucking cool would that have been?

That's how it works in From Other Suns, a virtual reality game coming out in November from Gunfire Games (core team behind the Darksiders series). The game is heavily inspired by FTL in that you play as the member of a space exploration crew that's being pursued by a hostile horde as you rush back to Earth. You advance by jumping through procedurally-generated systems and have to fly/repair your ship, manage resources, fight enemy ships and also engage in first person combat (both in your ship and on other vessels). Anyway, all that to say that you can play solo with AI crewmates, or you can allow people to join you on the fly (three players max per game). If they leave, the characters revert to AI-control. It's a pretty cool system.

Walter said:
Speaking of which, I'm relieved that he prefers Super Mario World to Super Mario Bros. 3. Just like dad! :slan:

I see great promise in this boy!

Yeah mobile games are gross and I have never gotten into it. There are a bunch of competitive multiplayer titles doing things similar to mobile with crates, loot, leveling, etc. Games like DOTA 2 are so complex they can become all consuming if you wanna be any good at them. These games feel more like hobbies unto themselves rather than an industry genre.

I just don't have the time anymore. Took the better part of this year to finish up Witcher 3 and the dlc. I have been playing my Saturn lately after I got a phoebe and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite consoles.

Who has played The Legend of the Dragoon? Is it as good as everyone says it is? All the reviews are mediocre, but reviews are trash a lot of the time.

Griffith

Walter said:
He really doesn't care for Mario Kart.

*GASP*

Walter said:
His coordination isn't quite there yet. He just runs into walls and gets frustrated.

Well, he is only 5, I guess I shouldn't expect him to drive yet. =) Plus, some of those Mario Kart games, especially the later ones, are just disorientingly busy. And the 2D ones on SNES and GBA are definitely frustrating to learn. Has he played Mario Kart 64 (Dr. Gamer over here looking for the right prescription =).

Walter said:
But yeah, I'm really counting on Nintendo releasing 3D World on the Switch, because I've been dying to play it.

It's no 3D Land, I can tell you that, but it pretty much allows you to carry anyone along on co-op.

Walter said:

Correct answer. But serious question: IS there a better game than Super Mario World? No joke, there's literally hundreds if not thousands of "best game" contenders, accounting for taste, advances, etc, each arguably transcendently equal in their own right (many among Mario games alone), but from a pure gameplay standpoint is there anything above SMW? Without thinking about it I say no. =) Super Mario World: primus inter pares.

Walter said:
Awesome, I didn't even know there was a co-op mode in that. I played it on 3DS, but maybe I'll get it for Switch if he's interested.

Check it out: https://youtu.be/G3cX7Yd6Kyc

Mega Mana. I can personally vouch for it as I played it through with an old buddy I used to go on all night Mega Man and beer binges with (wild and crazy guys). It actually worked quite well, though a word of warning: if he can't yet hold his own solo at that level of difficulty its co-op is not nearly as forgiving as Mario.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Correct answer. But serious question: IS there a better game than Super Mario World? No joke, there's literally hundreds if not thousands of "best game" contenders, accounting for taste, advances, etc, each arguably transcendently equal in their own right (many among Mario games alone), but from a pure gameplay standpoint is there anything above SMW? Without thinking about it I say no. =) Super Mario World: primus inter pares.

As far as a fun game to play, Super Mario World is tough to beat. It's remained one of my favorite games since childhood.

Check it out: https://youtu.be/G3cX7Yd6Kyc

Mega Mana. I can personally vouch for it as I played it through with an old buddy I used to go on all night Mega Man and beer binges with (wild and crazy guys). It actually worked quite well, though a word of warning: if he can't yet hold his own solo at that level of difficulty its co-op is not nearly as forgiving as Mario.

Yeah, he's not quite up to the task of Shovel Knight yet. Still that mode looks awesome.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Welp, the worst happened. :judo:

A few weeks ago, about maybe 10 hours into BoTW, I had my girlfriend back my save up to a flashdrive so we could test playing on multiple accounts on a Wii U, which was super simple, but we wanted to be sure. 60ish (or more) hours, 2
Divine Beasts
, ~40 shrines, ~30 Koroks, and like 5 hours of exploring
Hyrule Castle
unprepared and I find out the hard way that the Wii U saves all data to whatever USB harddrive is attached to it instead of internally. The flashdrive had been sitting in the Wii U and we thought it was doing nothing but holding some old save files from weeks ago, so she formatted it to use for some work related stuff.

:mozgus: :mozgus: :mozgus: :mozgus: :mozgus: :mozgus: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Why the hell would the system just start saving ONLY to a flash drive? What the fuck Nintendo. :rickert: It wasn't even an accidentally turned on feature, the Wii-U just straight up starts saving save files and game data ONLY to whatever external drive is plugged into. AND it's in a Wii-U only format that I doubt will be possible to recover through whatever free data recovery options are out there.

Funny enough, this sort of thing happened to me in Ocarina of Time as well like 18 years ago. I kept the system at my mom's house which I went to on the weekends and was spending months exploring every inch of OoT. I came over one weekend excited to most likely beat the game over a weekend non-stop marathon just to find that my mom let a neighbor girl play the game who deleted my save to make her own. I still feel bad to this day about exploding at her, but I was a kid and didn't have Sk.net to complain on when this sort of thing happened. :troll:

In any case, I can't decide if I will force myself to continue from somewhat near the beginning of the game and do stuff in a different order this time, or try to dull the pain by playing a new game like Cuphead or Ruiner(guess in the end I really might stop playing Zelda for it :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fuuuuuuuuuck!

Man, in your case, I'd hang it up for a few months and come back and start over fresh, making different directional decisions. I'm already feeling the itch to play through it all again.

I've been playing to Cuphead during the week (I'm at the third world). I have nothing bad to say about this game, just a bit hard but that's fine with me.
I'll start Nioh first DLC (just bought the season pass) when I can and I'm also looking forward to The Evil Within 2 next week.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Welp, the worst happened. :judo:

Jeez man, that blows. Many years ago, my brother erased my Legend of Zelda save by mistake while I was at Ganon's dungeon. I was pretty aggravated. I woke up the next day at 6am and replayed the game from scratch to completion in a single sitting, with my family watching me but from the edge of the room because them being too close would "disturb my focus". Those were the days.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
N7Paladin said:
Who has played The Legend of the Dragoon? Is it as good as everyone says it is? All the reviews are mediocre, but reviews are trash a lot of the time.

It's a really great game, but I'm a bit biased towards it. It, along with Final Fantasy IX, were not only my first two Playstation games, but were my first JRPGs, so they both hold a very special place in my heart (Now, if only we could get LoD on PS4!)

I liked a lot about the game. I thought the story was interesting, the music great, and the combat was really fun. In particular, the addition system, I thought, was something more RPGs needed, but alas, LoD remains the only game that I'm aware of that ever did anything like it. It seems additions are one of those things that you either love it or hate it. I never understood why people disliked it, but I'm also the guy that could perform all of Albert's additions without breaking a sweat :daub:

On that note, I've been playing FFIX again for probably the 100th time. It was surprise released on PS4 a couple weeks ago, and it's still as much fun as I remember. The character models have all been cleaned up and upgraded, which is nice since you can actually see everyone's faces now. Too bad Square couldn't shell out some more and get all the pre-rendered backgrounds in HD as well for a proper remaster. Oh well.

Griffith

Dar Klink said:
AND it's in a Wii-U only format that I doubt will be possible to recover through whatever free data recovery options are out there.

Got a local computer store or access to a real IT department? I've gotten tons of PC/data issues fixed for free just by bugging Walter asking the right dude with the knack. Plus, I say if you have to, and it's possible, be willing to invest at least $5-10 bucks into the recovery effort. That's a cheap lunch, and if you value your time a bargain to get back the equivalent of a 60 hour work week.

In any case, I can't decide if I will force myself to continue from somewhat near the beginning of the game and do stuff in a different order this time, or try to dull the pain by playing a new game like Cuphead or Ruiner(guess in the end I really might stop playing Zelda for it :)

If you can't get it fixed after putting some energy into that, I like Aaz's suggestion of jumping right back on Epona, and I'll add this wrinkle to make it more equivalent to his experience: try speed running Hyrule Castle and Ganon late one night, like just make a beeline for it after getting off the plateau. You might not be successful, but it's a different and exciting way of going at the game. That's what I did the first time I played it and it was pretty invigorating, especially because I got tantalizingly close to the end, and just that I even could (hint: take the heart to avoid 1 shots without decent arnor). It'll also get you stocked on late game food and weapons (and experience in my case)! Then, like you said, just try the areas you hadn't explored yet anyway until you get your groove back and it won't matter anynore; you'll want to play that shit forever anyway. :ganishka:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished the first three episodes of Wolfenstein 3D over the weekend and started playing The Legend of Zelda on my brand-new 3DS (which was an early Christmas present from my wife).

I've never beaten the original Zelda, but I remember giving up on it repeatedly as a kid.

I've collected two pieces of the Triforce so far, and am currently working my way through the third dungeon and having a great time.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Sucked into Super Mario Odyssey, everyone. The game is wonderful.

Thanks to the Wii U version of BotW I was never really under pressure to make a decision on Switch, but now... this feeling...

Berserk%2Bv32%2Bp135.png
latest

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished The Legend of Zelda and Metroid, and now I'm playing Super Mario Bros. 2 (the U.S. version). Man, playing these games takes me back. :void:

Top Bottom