Author Topic: What Are You Playing?  (Read 451047 times)

Offline Gamehowitzer

Re: What Are You Playing?
« Reply #2875 on: September 15, 2018, 05:44:54 AM »
Started playing through digimon world 3 again on my psx. i still haven't beat that game to this day. hoping to finally finish it, but it takes a long time to beat. I'm working on getting to the amaterasu server at the moment. gotta find bulbmon again.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #2876 on: September 17, 2018, 03:34:42 PM »
Super Metroid - Grinding my way through little by little every night, two of the big bosses are down (most recently the one of the Wrecked Ship) and I've got the gravity suit, spring ball etc, so I've got little left to collect for exploring purposes. Still, I see why I always lost interest before... I kind of hate this game lol! :ganishka:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2877 on: September 17, 2018, 04:24:51 PM »
Super Metroid - I kind of hate this game lol! :ganishka:

It's true what they say: the biggest betrayals come from those closest to you!

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #2878 on: September 17, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
It's true what they say: the biggest betrayals come from those closest to you!

Gotta have those outrageous hot takes to get the outraged replies, bro! :badbone: I'm the Tevis Thompson of SK.net; Super Metroid? 2/10, I do NOT actually feel like I am lost in space as I did as a child playing Metroid on the NES. Mario World? Trash World. Zelda 3? More like Zelda 4... Pussies! Minesweeper, now THAT'S a game! It'll sweep away the mines inside your mind and I really appreciate the progressive anti-landmine message.

Kidding aside, I get angry at this game, mostly when I'm attempting some awful wall jumping section to get somewhere I'm not even sure I'm supposed to go yet and so then I'm waking up my wife literally getting into a fight with the Wii U gamepad. :ganishka: That's mainly what I was referencing as to my hatred, any other discontent is just the malaise of mid-Metroid backtracking, but I'm otherwise having a perfectly enjoyable time and appreciating again just how much the game still has to offer. At best I experience it like a grown up Mega Man with a whole world to survive and explore. I do think it'd be an interesting debate between Super Metroid, SotN and some of their modern offspring. I think the problem with a lot of the modern entries is they're too beholden to Super Metroid and therefore don't go far enough afield (it really is the exact same shit for the most part). Even SotN mixes it up a bit more than most of these with the key items and light RPG elements.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2879 on: September 17, 2018, 05:29:18 PM »
Kidding aside, I get angry at the game, mostly when I'm attempting some awful wall jumping section to get somewhere I'm not even sure I'm supposed to go yet and so then I'm waking up my wife literally getting into a fight with the Wii U gamepad. :ganishka:

Haha, I know what you mean, that can be tricky.

I do think it'd be an interesting debate between Super Metroid, SotN and some of their modern offspring. I think the problem with a lot of the modern entries is they're too beholden to Super Metroid and therefore don't go far enough afield. Even SotN mixes it up a bit more than most of these with the key items and light RPG elements.

Yeah, it's maybe my biggest gripe with the "Metroidvania" term. It's not like side-scrolling action/exploration games didn't exist before Super Metroid (or even Metroid itself for that matter). And it's not like SotN follows a strict template laid by Super Metroid either. It shamelessly copied its map system, but the game's other elements were already a genre before that. For example, despite its bad reputation, Simon's Quest actually did introduce a lot of things SotN builds upon (and even had a day/night cycle... revolutionary! :iva:).

Worse: a lot of games that are called "Metroidvania", like Dead Cells most recently, actually bear little similarity to either Metroid or SotN. It's just a dumbass aberration of a word. :femto:

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #2880 on: September 17, 2018, 05:57:54 PM »
Haha, I know what you mean, that can be tricky.

That, and the goddamn quicksand I can't consistently jump from the top of the way I'd like. For having such impressively fluid controls, they have some low-key aggravating aspects. Even the jumping can fall somewhere between extreme precision and flying all over the place and past the platform you want to land on. :ganishka:

Yeah, it's maybe my biggest gripe with the "Metroidvania" term. It's not like side-scrolling action/exploration games didn't exist before Super Metroid (or even Metroid itself for that matter). And it's not like SotN follows a strict template laid by Super Metroid either. It shamelessly copied its map system, but the game's other elements were already a genre before that. For example, despite its bad reputation, Simon's Quest actually did introduce a lot of things SotN builds upon (and even had a day/night cycle... revolutionary! :iva:).

Another Simon's Quest plug! :iva: But yeah, the map is what stands out to me as the uniting element between Super Metroid and SoTN, and really, it's a powerful element, but interesting that SotN's maker admitted they were really trying to copy Zelda's RPG elements and item distribution (and Zelda II is another underappreciated entry in this particular side-scrolling action/exploration genre).

Worse: a lot of games that are called "Metroidvania", like Dead Cells most recently, actually bear little similarity to either Metroid or SotN.

That kind of shocked me when I started playing it actually, because I was under the impression it was another Metroid/Hollow Knight type game and it was definitely something else. I know there's been a few procedurally generated Metroid-style engines and that's something that could really be cool if done well (program it so it never dead ends the placement of items and abilities and you basically have a new game every time... maybe that's the problem =). Super Metroid... FOREVER!

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2881 on: September 18, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »
interesting that SotN's maker admitted they were really trying to copy Zelda's RPG elements and item distribution (and Zelda II is another underappreciated entry in this particular side-scrolling action/exploration genre).

Oh yeah, definitely, Zelda II is unloved but it also pioneered a lot of stuff. It was clearly the inspiration for Shadow of the Colossus. :iva:

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #2882 on: September 18, 2018, 09:20:55 PM »
Oh yeah, definitely, Zelda II is unloved but it also pioneered a lot of stuff. It was clearly the inspiration for Shadow of the Colossus. :iva:

It's the first Souls game! Just look at the maddeningly cryptic dialogue: