Episode 344

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Yes! Pumped for the translation :ubik: Looks like we've stumbled upon a community of witches :isidro:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Woah! Waking up to a new episode is wonderful! I'm very curious about the
"yoda/mr miagi " character (for lack of a name) And that huge tree house!
Wow!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Busy with work right now, but with just a peak I like the character design of the new guys as well as the looks of the valley and village.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in love.
We've arrived at last! What a fucking amazing episode! Miura is really going for it -- wasting zero time as we plow straight ahead toward the Elf King. Can't wait to learn more.

I'm guessing Schierke brought up the Boy in the context of asking : "weren't you expecting us, didn't you send an emissary?" "No." :isidro:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wow. THis is it guys! We have arrived! And it doesn't disappoint. I love the look of the village. I think it looks very close to how most of us thought it would, a bigger version of Floras mansion basically. Schierke must be in heaven. After all the shit she's been through being dragged along through human towns and cities she's finally in a comforting village of her own people. You can see how happy and comfortable she is. Looks like we're going to get lot's of little tidbits of info about tons of stuff. The moonlight boy, Flora, Puck.

I'd also like to say just how gorgeous the art is in this episode. I can't tell if it's because we've been away for so long or what but it's glorious for some reason. This episode looks very funny too.

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
For such a monumental moment in Berserk history i agree this episode didn't disappoint at all. Elfhelm is beautiful, we have a character capable of explaining a lot of unanswered questions, possibly a few we didn't know we had. And there's finally a peaceful space where our characters can relax and grow. Hopefully in this peace from outside threats we'll see the further development of some of the inner-group tensions, for better or for worse. And this is all without mentioning a SANE CASCA on the horizon!

You know things are getting important when Guts pulls a face like this...
DU7Or9Y.png

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I'm guessing Schierke brought up the Boy in the context of asking : "weren't you expecting us, didn't you send an emissary?" "No." :isidro:

The old man actually tells her that the King of Elves had foretold their arrival, and Schierke thinks back to her guess about the boy being from Elfhelm and deduces that she was right. Of course, that'll only make the eventual reveal that she was actually mistaken all the more interesting. :slan:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
The old man actually tells her that the King of Elves had foretold their arrival, and Schierke thinks back to her guess about the boy being from Elfhelm and deduces that she was right. Of course, that'll only make the eventual reveal that she was actually mistaken all the more interesting. :slan:

Nice! That makes it even better.

Very charming. Whole thing reminded me of something Studio Ghibli would make. Loved the look of the tree houses and all the snippets of witches just going on about their daily lives. And we got to see a couple of rarely-seen expressions from Guts. I wonder what was said to make him smile?

Ahhh, July is going to be a very long month this year.

The new episode looks great (and it appears the next one is scheduled for a July 22 release?). Elfhelm looks great, all the various witch and warlock apprentices reminds me a bit of Little Witch Academia (despite it having a very the different tone than Berserk). The elder warlock's design also reminds me of the Studio Ghibli "look" for elderly characters. Can't wait to read the translated dialogue between all the new characters and the party.

This is great! Loving it! Got the biggest smile on my face right now. :guts: I like the elder magi and his goat a lot. His intro with the rain is neat. The little scenes where it looks like the young witches are learning their various arts are cool. So funny where it looks like Isidro perhaps decides to go harass the local ladies and gets a beat down. :ganishka: Love the witch city. It's all just gorgeous! :ubik:

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Completely in love with the design of Elfhelm. It looks like high fantasy that I expected from Elves and Wizards! Those trees with faces remind me of those in dark souls 2, so I wonder if they're spirit possessed or are they just astral creatures.

We've got a busty new wizard as well :isidro:

Seeing how many wizards and magical creatures there are, Griffith would have to be insane to dare attacking that place. Then again, i guess he has no reason t oanyway since they'l lcome towards him.

I also like how the elder mage takes a sneak peak at Guts, like confirming for himself " So this is the guy from prophecy, the struggler " awesome stuff.

When Schierke mentions Flora to the elder magi he and his goat seem surprised and then he looks pleased. That seems to bode well for Schierke as Flora's apprentice. :serpico: I'm excited to learn more about what's going on.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Love this episode! I cannot wait to see what everyone is saying.

That said, from the get-go I thought something felt off about the art, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until someone of Reddit posted a couple images comparing Molda's sudden enhancement...

Also, do we know for sure that they are in Elfhelm? Or is this a different settlement inhabited by witches?

Feeblecursedone

I cant be the only one who thought " Hm, I wonder who would win in a magic duel btw Daiba and the Elder Warlock right? " when seeing him for first time :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
Also, do we know for sure that they are in Elfhelm? Or is this a different settlement inhabited by witches?

They are on Skellig. Elfhelm is where the elves live. I don't believe the human village is it.

Delta Phi said:
a couple images comparing Molda's sudden enhancement...

Her chest had only been visible in a single panel until now, so... while it's clearly bigger, this isn't really a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Feeblecursedone said:
I cant be the only one who thought " Hm, I wonder who would win in a magic duel btw Daiba and the Elder Warlock right? " when seeing him for first time :troll:

Daiba wouldn't win a duel against Schierke if they were on an equal footing. So this guy? He'd wipe the floor with him.

I'm chomping at the bit for that summary, Aaz! :ubik:

So far we haven't seen too many astral creatures, other than those trees. I guess a majority of them must inhabit another part of the island?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Summary courtesy of puella:

Keep in mind this is re-translated based on an unreliable translation. Nothing in here is 100% sure until we see the original Japanese text.

After Guts downs the burning man, the flames pick up and the group is worried that the entire field is going to burn down. Molda calls them thieves and says she won't let them go. She complains that they destroyed her puppet and says they'll all be burned to death. They're all pretty surprised to see her, what with being a witch and all. Isidro is impressed that she can fly on a broomstick and immediately makes fun of Schierke. Schierke on the other hand tells Molda they aren't thieves, and that prompts her to wonder why a witch like Schierke, as well as elves, are with the group.

In that time, the other witches arrive. Their leader, the girl, nags at Molda for not listening to anybody. Schierke asks them if they're local magic users, but the girl tells her they'll talk later, the first order of things should be to extinguish the fire before the plain burns down. The chubby one is sad about the pumpkins he'd so very carefully grown, but Isidro and Puck like them just fine as they are. Because the flames are so strong, the witches can't take care of it. The girl says they'll have to call their "guru" (I'm going to use this word repeatedly but just like everything else, it's unconfirmed). Then all of a sudden, the rain comes. Schierke is amazed by that magical power, by the speed at which the weather was controlled. Farnese is curious, so Schierke explains to her that to change nature like that, you normally need a lengthy ceremony.

Of course, this was the work of the "guru" in question. He arrives, appraises the situation and concludes there's no problem. He calls each of the witches by their names, but I don't trust the text enough to write them at this point, so I'll just say that the girl is called something like "Kuka". He praises the three for their scouting, the job they were sent to do, but says he'll need to reprimand Molda later on for her actions. Puck flies up to him and is all familiar, calling him an old man, and the guy calls Puck a naughty boy and salutes him back.

The guy explains that he came too late to welcome them (calling them his guests) and apologizes for the trouble they were caused by his delay. He says that the goat has been aging with him and is apparently slower than the kids now. He gives out his name, but again I'm not comfortable giving it yet. He's one of the magicians that manage the island.

Schierke asks if he knew they'd come here, and he replies that yes, the King of Elves had predicted it. Schierke thinks to herself "then... like I thought the boy is...". The guy gives more details: "The King predicted that a small whirlwind blown from this island would come back as a giant storm, wrapping numerous fates within it." They're all thinking... "Ahh... the small whirlwind..." Then Puck triumphantly proclaims (with "wind" written in his head) that it's him! He has the power of the storm! He goes on: "Although I didn't notice it, I involved everybody in a giant whirlpool of fate." Ivalera is pissed and says it happened purely by chance! Puck keeps going, saying he's really sorry for involving everyone in his story, which continues to bum Ivalera as she points out he's trying to pass for a hero.

The man says there's one more thing. "My old friend showed up in my dream. She asked me to take care of her beloved pupil." Schierke immediately knows who he means. He then exchanges a silent stare with Guts, because that's what cool guys do when they meet. As he leads them, he tells them to rest well from their journey and that he'll tell the elf king about them. Guts comments that the guy seems to know everything, to which Schierke responds that it's how a great magician should be. They come upon trees, and Isidro wonder if it's some kind of artwork. He fools around with it, laughing while wondering what would happen if the tree moved, when it does and snaps his hand. The witches comment that outside humans are as stupid as they'd been told, while Schierke asks him to stop embarrassing her. The witches introduce themselves (and a reluctant Molda) to Schierke and ask her what she's doing with these people.

Schierke explains that they're together because of some mysterious karma, and that the goal of their journey... Then Kuka says "is to bring her sanity back?" but Schierke continues "is to find a peaceful land for the cursed woman". Kuka says that now that she thinks of it, she's heard that the King of the Flower Storm can get deep inside somebody's mind using a "gallery/corridor of dreams", and so that it might be possible to cure Casca. Schierke says "really?!" and Guts smiles. Which in turn makes Farnese look worried/troubled.

The witches comment that they're really great, having crossed the ocean during such a world-shaking time only to get such a small wish. They also tell Schierke that since she's a witch, she must have noticed that great change. The "guru" comments and says they call it the "Great Astral World Something". Again, we'll know once we have the Japanese version. He then goes on to say it's what the one called the Falcon of Light provoked by attacking the Forests of Spiritual Trees all over the world. Everyone in the group is flabbergasted to hear that (and you should be as well). "Falcon of Light?! Forests of Spiritual Trees? What are you talking about?"

The old man says he'll tell them once they're in the village, and tells them to look over there. "That is the Elfhelm of the King of the Flower Storm and our village of magicians."
Isidro wonders how a cherry tree can possibly be that big, and says that the King has a fitting name, because there really is a storm of flower petals going on. We transition to the group's arrival in the village. Schierke comments that she doesn't know why, but she feels a kind of melancholy. They wonder what the witches are doing and are told that they're practicing to probe the Od by grooming tree sprouts. Schierke says she's familiar with it. She used to do it often, although she had no friends. Kuka says she'll introduce them later. Then they're showed where witches teach and learn more advanced skills based on their own unique competences. Magic is practiced everyday. Then there are the "gurus" who are absorbed in their own affairs. Becoming an apprentice to them allows young witches to learn many things.

Farnese is charmed. Serpico comments that it's like a training ground for magic users, before saying that more precisely, it's an academic city. Molda disagrees, calling it a boring village. She says that even if they practice their skills ardently, in the end they'll still be confined to the island. She thinks they're "rotting" in there. Kuka takes issue with that, saying researching nature is the true duty of a witch. Molda doesn't care and wants to know about the outside world. They bicker. Meanwhile the other witches are intrigued by the outsiders, their clothes... They're scared. Isidro, always eager to please, says he'll play the part they want him to, as an entertainer. He promptly gets beaten up. Puck uses that opportunity to go say hello, which surprises them. "You had disappeared suddenly, you really did leave the island?" Then they all try beating on him while recounting all his wrongdoings to each of them. "You took a bath in the cauldron where I made my potion / You created a health hazard in my house / You scribbled on the magic barrier while I did a ritual / You blended my potion with the tea for the great guru". Then they arrive at the old man's house.

Very exciting, this episode is so great, things are moving fast and a lot of important stuff was brought up, the comedy is great as always too, isidro and puck are too good. on the last page i see the numbers (7,15,22) these have to do with the release date of the next episode correct?

WOW! Tons of stuff is happening. It's great that the King of the Flower Storm lives in a Cherry Blossom Tree the size of a building. Very appropriate and iconic. It'll be interesting to see what this gallery of dreams entails.

More interesting though is this news that the Falcon of Light is attacking Spiritual Trees all over. This seems like more than a reference to Flora's mansion. Could their time on the island already be moving them past events happening elsewhere? Is some type of purge happening outside? The fact that the witches thought Puck was gone for just a day or so, seems to back this up. But time will tell.

Thanks for the fast translation Puella! And thanks Aaz!

Feeblecursedone

. It's great that the King of the Flower Storm lives in a Cherry Blossom Tree the size of a building. Very appropriate and iconic. It'll be interesting to see what this gallery of dreams entails.

Cherry Blossom is kinda interesting. Considering Cherry Blossom is deeply intertwined with japanese culture and literature, especially in poems where they are symbols of fleeting and fragile beauty, as my friend told me. I do hope its not foreshadowing of the fate of the island o.o

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ManaTree.gif

ApostleBob said:
More interesting though is this news that the Falcon of Light is attacking Spiritual Trees all over. This seems like more than a reference to Flora's mansion. Could their time on the island already be moving them past events happening elsewhere? Is some type of purge happening outside?

What is implied is that what happened to Flora was part of a wider phenomenon. It already happened. How it did is not yet clear. But it certainly could explain a looooot of things, like how the Wingstones were formed (crystallized magic stolen from elsewhere?), why astral beasts may be attacking humans and/for Falconia, how the land around Falconia is so bountiful, and how the World Spiral Tree was created.

ApostleBob said:
The fact that the witches thought Puck was gone for just a day or so, seems to back this up.

There's no indication of how long Puck seemed to have been gone for them. And I highly doubt it's just a day or so. Puck spent many years away from Elfhelm.

Ken said:
Very exciting, this episode is so great, things are moving fast and a lot of important stuff was brought up, the comedy is great as always too, isidro and puck are too good. on the last page i see the numbers (7,15,22) these have to do with the release date of the next episode correct?

Yes, the next episode will be released on July 22. The release schedule had already been announced some days ago.

Feeblecursedone said:
Cherry Blossom is kinda interesting.

It isn't really a surprise. Cherry blossoms were shown when the character was first mentioned, in volume 28.

Top Bottom