Author Topic: Berserk: The Flame Dragon Knight novel  (Read 32801 times)

Offline MrFlibble

• Of the Interstice
  • Without a fairy, you're not even a real man.
Re: Berserk: The Flame Dragon Knight novel
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »
The novel is out in germany and i have read the first 65 sites.I really hope that this is not canon.It seems that the autor dosnīt know that berserk isnt only about gore,rape and violence. In what i have read it feels like that there is far to much rape and detailed violent i really donīt like it. I regret to buy it.  :judo:

He also doesn't seem to know how sacrifices work.

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »
The novel is out in germany and i have read the first 65 sites.I really hope that this is not canon.It seems that the autor dosnīt know that berserk isnt only about gore,rape and violence. In what i have read it feels like that there is far to much rape and detailed violent i really donīt like it. I regret to buy it.  :judo:

Indeed. I've only read summaries, but it seems quite ridiculous and juvenile how sexual violence is used in the story. And I've heard similar accounts from those who have read it, walking away grossed out that it has Berserk's name on it.  :azan:
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline no name

« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2018, 08:15:08 PM »
I think no one should buy it.15 euro are far to much for this book,the artwork is very good but the rest suck. I am ashamed
that i have buy it :farnese:

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »
I think no one should buy it.15 euro are far to much for this book,the artwork is very good but the rest suck. I am ashamed
that i have buy it :farnese:

Everyone can do as they will, of course. :idea: I feel somewhat obligated to get it. But at the same time, I fundamentally don't want to support anything about this new novel endeavor.

Offline Zeke

« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2018, 06:30:25 AM »
He also doesn't seem to know how sacrifices work.

I haven't read it, what did he get wrong?

Ugh, who put GoT in my Berserk? :puck:

This story sounds very unappealing, whilst the only saving grace being the art; I think I'll hold off on purchasing it, while hoping that Miura's contributions end up in a future art book. :daiba:

Offline MrFlibble

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2018, 10:41:33 AM »
I haven't read it, what did he get wrong?

Apparently Edward, Benedicte and the Blonde knight get branded, and Grunbeld kills them. In every other apostle ceremony the vortex takes them.

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2018, 02:12:33 PM »
Apparently Edward, Benedicte and the Blonde knight get branded, and Grunbeld kills them. In every other apostle ceremony the vortex takes them.

That's not true. As the eclipse showed us, apostles are free to devour them after branding. And even in standard sacrificial ceremonies, we've seen apostles devouring the bodies, or at least in the proximity of the bodies — the Count and Ganishka. The Vortex's function is to take the soul of the branded.

As for the inconsistency in this novel, it has to do with two of the sacrifices being "willing" sacrifices, along with the fact that Edvard made for a shitty sacrifice given his actions throughout the book, particularly the ending. Neither of those things pass the smell test, to me.

Offline RaffoBaffo

• Of the Interstice
  • Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »
it has to do with two of the sacrifices being "willing" sacrifices, along with the fact that Edvard made for a shitty sacrifice given his actions throughout the book, particularly the ending.
I don't know for the first part, but, well, the actions of Ganishka'son weren't much better.
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory.

Offline MrFlibble

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
As for the inconsistency in this novel, it has to do with two of the sacrifices being "willing" sacrifices, along with the fact that Edvard made for a shitty sacrifice given his actions throughout the book, particularly the ending. Neither of those things pass the smell test, to me.

Forgot to mention that, yeah. Becoming a demon in Berserk is a wholly selfish act, and putting an anti hero spin on it kind of negates the whole point of "cutting away your humanity"

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2018, 04:19:26 PM »
I don't know for the first part, but, well, the actions of Ganishka'son weren't much better.

I disagree, and you're selling Ganishka short here. Ganishka being able to sacrifice his son spoke volumes about how he felt about him. And though I haven't read the book yet, it doesn't seem like Edvard and Grunbeld had developed the same kind of bond as, say, Guts and Griffith, or in Ganishka's case, as father and son (a son whose life had become driven by fear just as Ganishka had endured). Edvard seems just tacked on as a sacrifice. His friends had already been wounded, (and/or violated) so it's all quite watered down from other sacrifice scenarios in Berserk. And of all aspects of this story where Miura could have provided guidance or an outline, one would have thought THIS would be it, the climax of the character's story arc, and basically establishing his character motivation. And yet, based on the outcome, I can't imagine this was sourced from Miura.

Becoming a demon in Berserk is a wholly selfish act, and putting an anti hero spin on it kind of negates the whole point of "cutting away your humanity"

Indeed, that's the other part of it. Grunbeld is basically just empowered through this ordeal.

Offline Johnny Apples

« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2018, 06:07:28 AM »
Shitty screenwriters make for shitty novelists....who would've guessed?  :schierke:
Also, somebody previously suggested that Miura may have given Makoto Fukami some pointers about Grunbeld's background and early life. But seeing how the Flaming Dragon Knight novel severely deviates from what Berserk is all about, I'm beginning to doubt that. If Miura had any direct input in that novel's story, it wouldn't have come out so terrible. Other than the cover art and those illustrations, I don't think Miura had any involvement in the making of that novel. This whole story reads like Golden Age-lite. Light on brains, light on soul and light on heart. Heavy on violence/rape, but light on everything that actually makes Berserk awesome and unique.