Berserk on a motion picture?!?!?

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I have a question. How do you cram all of Berserk's EXPANSIVE glory into even a long series of movies. Berserk makes Star Wars seem like your little cousin's picture book in length, even with those three installments that got cut off the other end of it. I don't care who directs it, Berserk would translate very poorly into a movie, if not due to its length then to the oblong suitable stopping points in the series. Either the movies would be increadible cliffhangers, or they'd be sorely abreviated.

Vaxillus said:
I have a question.  How do you cram all of Berserk's EXPANSIVE glory into even a long series of movies.
quite simply actually. lets just say the story ended around issue 50. if you converted the manga into a script. it would probably be the equivalent of 3-4 movies ranging from 2 1/2 to 3 hours in length each
Vaxillus said:
Berserk makes Star Wars seem like your little cousin's picture book in length
actually no, once the episode 3 is out you will have 6 films about 3 hours each (thats 18 hours of film)
Vaxillus said:
I don't care who directs it, Berserk would translate very poorly into a movie
i don't think so
Vaxillus said:
oblong suitable stopping points in the series. Either the movies would be increadible cliffhangers, or they'd be sorely abreviated.
i cant remember, but i think these are the figures.a 90 page script equals a 90-120 min movie so it wouldn't have to be sorely abbreviated. but never the less i highly doubt that a movie will ever happen. but in the 1 in a billion chance it does. i think that it would be a hit. if done right ;)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarthVenom said:
quite simply actually. lets just say the story ended around issue 50. if you converted the manga into a script. it would probably be the equivalent of 3-4 movies ranging from 2 1/2 to 3 hours in length each

Error. ;)

DarthVenom said:
i cant remember, but i think these are the figures.a 90 page script equals a 90-120 min movie so it wouldn't have to be sorely abbreviated.

Oh, so that's the magic calculation? A graphic novel isn't a script though, and whatever you are think of doesn't seem to apply to the anime (more than 8 hours of footage).

Aazealh said:
Error. ;)
whats the error ??? ?
Aazealh said:
Oh, so that's the magic calculation?
i cant remember exactly. i will look it up in some of my film books. it was some wacky estimate. but ill edit this post once i find it :)
Aazealh said:
A graphic novel isn't a script though, and whatever you are think of doesn't seem to apply to the anime (more than 8 hours of footage).
well ok,lets just use Lord Of The Rings as an example. the full book, not including The Hobbit was around 1200 pages. and look at the script that was written from the story.
i have to admit I'm not really to sure how an animated film is made. and these "geniuses" such as producers, writers hell even editors would be able to make it fit in a certain amount of time. how long the film would be or how many films there would be, i have no idea. that would rely on Miura, and when he decided to stop the series. but a motion picture could easily be a huge hit or a catastrophic failure (a shit load of money lost on the project).

and what i meant by geniuses in the above paragraph.. wait ill just give you an example. Mr Miura is a genius writer. 8) now i don't think anyone here could argue with that

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarthVenom said:
whats the error ???

What you said is wrong, that's the error. You won't be able to put all (as in not without 80% of the story) of Berserk in 3 movies of 3 hours each, at least not if you want it to have any kind of coherence.

DarthVenom said:
i cant remember exactly. i will look it up in some of my film books. it was some wacky estimate. but ill edit this post once i find it :)

It doesn't really matter you know, it's just not pertinent. There's no magic calculation, that's what I was implying.

DarthVenom said:
well ok,lets just use Lord Of The Rings as an example.

You seem to have some sort of Lord of the Rings fixation dude, don't creep me out. ;D

DarthVenom said:
the full book, not including The Hobbit was around 1200 pages.

Yeah, not counting the Silmarillion or the Books of Lost Tales either. Not sure I see any interest in mentioning that.

DarthVenom said:
and look at the script that was written from the story.

I don't believe you get my point. Berserk isn't a novel where 500 pages of description can be skipped for the sake of making money. As a manga, relying heavily on graphic representation and effects, it just becomes very hard to cut parts without having big consequences. Then there's all the pacing to take into account.

DarthVenom said:
and these "geniuses" such as producers, writers hell even editors would be able to make it fit in a certain amount of time.

Then tell me how. Explain me how you would make the anime (adding all the parts from the manga that were removed) fit in 4 hours for example, let's start easy. You just have to make it twice shorter without removing anything. :)

DarthVenom said:
how long the film would be or how many films there would be, i have no idea.

Well isn't that what we were discussing about? I know that's what I'm replying to.

There's no big deal in thinking that it would make a great movie or not, but saying that it's technically a piece of cake and that it would fit in 9 hours is a bit presumptuous, and won't lead anywhere without something to back it up, IMHO.

Aazealh said:
What you said is wrong, that's the error. You won't be able to put all (as in not without 80% of the story) of Berserk in 3 movies of 3 hours each, at least not if you want it to have any kind of coherence.
well i will admit that it was a bit presumptuous to make such a calculation :-X . it definitely would be a monstrous amount film.
Aazealh said:
It doesn't really matter you know, it's just not pertinent. There's no magic calculation, that's what I was implying.
oh ok. your right there is no magic calculation, but there is a formula and I'm speed reading one of my books just to find the estimate.
Aazealh said:
You seem to have some sort of Lord of the Rings fixation dude, don't creep me out. ;D
LOL ;D na man i was just using it as an example.
Aazealh said:
I don't believe you get my point. Berserk isn't a novel where 500 pages of description can be skipped for the sake of making money. As a manga, relying heavily on graphic representation and effects, it just becomes very hard to cut parts without having big consequences.
they wouldn't have to be skipped. the scenes in the manga could easily be shortened. here's an example, in the Black Swordsman when he kills the Snake Baron. that whole chapter would take probably less than 15 minutes (of finished film or the scene so to say) if it was put acted out including computer graphics. it would take a lot longer to shoot and everything. but a finished product would be quite short.
Aazealh said:
Then there's all the pacing to take into account.
you see thats where i think i miscalculated it. by not paying any attention to "Time" and the "Pace" that it would have to move at.but keep in mind, I'm looking at it from the Anime's pace.
Aazealh said:
Then tell me how. Explain me how you would make the anime (adding all the parts from the manga that were removed) fit in 4 hours for example, let's start easy. You just have to make it twice shorter without removing anything. :)
dude if i were able to write such a script i would be hanging out with Miura right now  8).  actually this is a great question.and ill definitely answer it for you. give me a lil time on this one ill come back to you with an answer.
Aazealh said:
There's no big deal in thinking that it would make a great movie or not, but saying that it's technically a piece of cake and that it would fit in 9 hours is a bit presomptuous, and won't lead anywhere without something to back it up, IMHO.
excuse me i was a bit presumptuous, and i never thought that it would be a piece of cake. it would actually be a production nightmare (or dream) including time, money, sleepless nights etc.... and true without a full length script or even completely finished Berserk movie i don't have anything to back it up.

DarthVenom said:
oh ok. your right there is no magic calculation, but there is a formula and I'm speed reading one of my books just to find the estimate.
I dont think theres a "forumla" or anything. Its not like A+BxCz=X amount of screen time, or whatever.
Generally, a page of script = a minute
Give or take, of course.

And Aaz was right, I did have a laugh at the Oscar-thing. ;)

ranemaka13 said:
I dont think theres a "forumla" or anything. Its not like A+BxCz=X amount of screen time, or whatever.
Generally, a page of script = a minute
Give or take, of course.
thats exactly what i meant. i knew that a page of script equaled 1 minute or something close to that of screentime.

Vaxillus

DarthVenom said:
they wouldn't have to be skipped. the scenes in the manga could easily be shortened. here's an example, in the Black Swordsman when he kills the Snake Baron. that whole chapter would take probably less than 15 minutes (of finished film or the scene so to say) if it was put acted out including computer graphics.
So that's why the anime, which already cut the crap out of that scene, could only cram it down to about 25 min. ;)

On another note, LoTR is a very poor example, considdering how that was excessively shortened, abreviated, cut, and whatever else they could do to cram its massive plot into nine hours or so of film. I personally, as well as probably several other members on this board, would not want to see the story cut down just for the sake of seeing it move.

Vaxillus said:
So that's why the anime, which already cut the crap out of that scene, could only cram it down to about 25 min. ;)
true the anime cut the crap out of the manga. but when shooting in real time the scene would not take as long as the anime. even if you added all of the shit that the anime cut out ;)
Vaxillus said:
On another note, LoTR is a very poor example, considdering how that was excessively shortened, abreviated, cut, and whatever else they could do to cram its massive plot into nine hours or so of film.
thats funny, i personally have read the book (The Fellowship Of The Ring(1) The Two Towers(2) The Return Of The King(3)) and i own all three special extended editions. and i don't quite see where they
Vaxillus said:
excessively shortened, abbreviated, cut
fine certain things were over looked but before i start to get into that. thats a whole other subject 8)
Vaxillus said:
I personally, as well as probably several other members on this board, would not want to see the story cut down just for the sake of seeing it move.
well like i said in a previous post.
DarthVenom said:
never the less i highly doubt that a movie will ever happen. but in the 1 in a billion chance it does. i think that it would be a hit. if done right ;)
and it would take a tremendous amount of money and time and i can not stress how improtant an amazing crew from the Producer to the Production assistants would be during such an amazing project. and i for one would love to see "if done right" Berserk in the theatre. are you telling me you wouldn't pay to see it?

ranemaka13 said:
And Aaz was right, I did have a laugh at the Oscar-thing. ;)
lol ;D i was expecting it. well in film what "award" would be bigger than the Oscar.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarthVenom said:
when shooting in real time the scene would not take as long as the anime.

Why and how? Lengthy and detailed answer please.

DarthVenom said:
thats funny, i personally have read the book (The Fellowship Of The Ring(1) The Two Towers(2) The Return Of The King(3)) and i own all three special extended editions. and i don't quite see where they

Oh, really? You don't see the added parts either? I've read these books a long time ago, and I do. Just to win the argument before it even starts (gain of time), they removed the best part: Tom Bombadil.

DarthVenom said:
well in film what "award" would be bigger than the Oscar.

You weren't talking about being "big", but about being revered. ;)

Aazealh said:
Why and how? Lengthy and detailed answer please.
No problem. Ok just say you were to film your self doing something for 5 minutes, say just having a conversation. Now it doesn’t matter if your happy angry. Whatever. It will be a real life, real time conversation. And it will have your emotions caught on camera and you are able to get a point across quite quickly. Now say you were to have a conversation made into a manga. Then made into an anime. You would have a lot to consider such as emotional value and timing how are you going to get that same feeling of your point across in an animated film. It would take longer pauses and different sequences to show the same emotion that you would in front of a camera. Plus you would be able to evoke different feelings from the viewer in a shorter period of time in real life, than on an animated feature simply because of the slower pace that an animated feature would take to show a real life emotion ;).
Aazealh said:
Oh, really? You don't see the added parts either? I've read these books a long time ago, and I do. Just to win the argument before it even starts (gain of time), they removed the best part: Tom Bombadil.
Added parts schmadded parts. I thought they went quite well with the movie. As for Tom Bombadil, well I don’t think they should have not put him in the film but if they did it would have been too huge. Plus he wasn’t necessary for the story or plot. Better yet check this out

http://www.lordotrings.com/books/bombadil.asp

Aazealh said:
You weren't talking about being "big", but about being revered. ;)
Excuse me 8). ok name a more revered award granted to someone in the film industry (Such as an actor or director).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DarthVenom said:
You would have a lot to consider such as emotional value and timing how are you going to get that same feeling of your point across in an animated film. It would take longer pauses and different sequences to show the same emotion that you would in front of a camera. Plus you would be able to evoke different feelings from the viewer in a shorter period of time in real life, than on an animated feature simply because of the slower pace that an animated feature would take to show a real life emotion ;).
Ever seen Furi Kuri, by Gainax?  Animation and manga are much more suited tools for getting emotions across quickly.  Genuine emotions are a different story, I'll concede. That's not to say it can't be done. Consider the use of panels in comics. The time between panels is instantaneous to the reader, but physical for the comic reality. This alone would make a comic "quicker" to get an emotion across than film.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarthVenom said:
Plus you would be able to evoke different feelings from the viewer in a shorter period of time in real life, than on an animated feature simply because of the slower pace that an animated feature would take to show a real life emotion ;).

I disagree, and I think that what you said is totally subjective, and would certainly not prove true as far as I can imagine the conversion of Berserk from manga to movie. Walter already replied so I'll leave it at that.

DarthVenom said:
Added parts schmadded parts. I thought they went quite well with the movie.

Yeah, a matter of opinion. The cheesy love story wasn't needed, depth of scenario and world background however...

DarthVenom said:
As for Tom Bombadil, well I don’t think they should have not put him in the film but if they did it would have been too huge. Plus he wasn’t necessary for the story or plot.

Well I think he's necessary, and also the best character in the whole book. :p As for the link you gave, sorry to tell you but I've read that essay a long time ago, though from my memories it was on another site. Well, maybe it was another essay then, but the point is that I didn't learn much from it the first time, so even less now. :p It is interesting though and I'd recommend it to Tolkien enthusiasts. Anyway let's try to focus on Berserk.

DarthVenom said:
Excuse me 8). ok name a more revered award granted to someone in the film industry (Such as an actor or director).

Well, that's *again* a matter of opinion. I could say Cannes for example, but what would it mean? The Academy Awards are very popular, but people don't give them a lot of credibility. It's not my field, so I'd rather let Rane or some other cinema connoisseur talk, but I think you'll get my point.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
I could say Cannes for example, but what would it mean? The Academy Awards are very popular, but people don't give them a lot of credibility. It's not my field, so I'd rather let Rane or some other cinema connoisseur talk, but I think you'll get my point.

there is no such thing as a "credible award". what award what you consider credible? the "oscar" maybe? alfred hitchcock never received that award for _any_ of his movies, while the "return of the king" reveived _11_ oscars. doesn't sound very credible to me.

what i am trying to say is... awards don't reveal anything about the quality of art.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
trapped_soul said:
there is no such thing as a "credible award". what award what you consider credible? the "oscar" maybe?

Well, the Oscars = the Academy Awards, there's just two ways to name them.

trapped_soul said:
alfred hitchcock never received that award for _any_ of his movies, while the "return of the king" reveived _11_ oscars. doesn't sound very credible to me. what i am trying to say is... awards don't reveal anything about the quality of art.

That's pretty much what I was saying.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
Kyoke said:
o_O A Neon Genesis Evangelion Live action movie?

The end is near!!! Oh god... please no... someone kill whoever devised the idea... and the producers and the directors and HOW ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE THE EVAS??? CG Gaffix sucks and please dont make someone dress in a costume like if it was ultraman...

God... Im sorry I sinned! Please stop the evil from spreading...

Oh god... I hope they *DO* dress up like Ultraman and Powerrangers. That would be so great! I mean, the movie would be horrible, but it would also be greatly entertaining!

DarthVenom said:
eachactually no, once the episode 3 is out you will have 6 films about 3 hours each (thats 18 hours of film)

and they all suck, especially the new ones

Something else I thought of, guys... Why would the movie have to take us through the WHOLE STORY? Just take one of the best chapters, maybe two, and form them into a movie, leaving the ending open to let you know the story continues. I wouldn't be able to pull it off correctly but who knows, someone might.

Whatever happened to the Wachowski brothers?

Certainly awards, and namely the Academy Awards (or maybe the Oscars =)), have lost their "credibility" over the years and have progressed into more of a popularity contest.
I certainly won't like a film any more or less because it did or didn't win "film of the year," and neither should anyone else. That would just be silly.
I think festivals and their respective awards, such as Cannes and Sundance, are taken more seriously and held in much higher esteem than any sort of award show.
At least, that's how I feel about it.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
DefaultJ!! said:
they became the Wachowski brother... and sister: http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2004/05/01/matrix_of_lives.php

Now I really hate the Matrix movies, because now I know what happened to all the money the Wachowski's made.

They are makeing Larry into a Linda. Sick.

Minor Demoness

Tentacle lurve, baby!
Oh my... I completely forgot I was registered here.

Hmm, a Berserk live action movie... why not? It's entirely possible to make a good movie- just depends on what part of the story you want to focus on. The Band of the Hawks arc I think would make the best movie. Also, who would you focus on? Guts or Griffiths, or Caska. I'd have it from Caska's point of view, but maybe that's because I'm a girl. Also, she has the overall picture, unlike Gutts and Griffiths, who're too busy with themselves.

List of actors for Gutts would be:
Vincent D'onofrio, except that he's too old now.
Dean Cain (Lois and Clark), except that I hate his guts for no discenable reason. And his voice really annoys the heck outta me.
Or maybe Chris Pratt (from Everwood), with dyed hair.

For Griffiths:
Um, Chris Pratt. He's pretty, like really pretty.

For Caska:
Shannyn Sossamon. She'd be perfect. Halle Berry just looks like she's molded from plastic. Very unnatural.

For the Rest of the Hawks, I'd have to sleep on it.

Minor Demoness said:
Hmm, a Berserk live action movie... why not?

Read the thread. ;) (I'm assuming you haven't because you don't refute the arguments aganst it)

except that I hate his guts for no discenable reason. And his voice really annoys the heck outta me.

The horrible American voice actor maybe?

Also, who would you focus on? Guts or Griffiths, or Casca. I'd have it from Casca's point of view, but maybe that's because I'm a girl.

That would be interesting. Nice idea.

Also, she has the overall picture, unlike Guts and Griffiths, who're too busy with themselves.

And she is too busy with them. ;) But seriously Griffith and Guts aren't that introverted as shown in Casca's flashback after the river on the morning after Griffith sold himself. Or Guts when he grabbed Casca's hand as she attemted suicide. Read the manga or whatch it with Japanese language with this in mind.

For the Rest of the Hawks, I'd have to sleep on it.

This thread will be here in the morning so you can complete your thoughts or ideas before posting.

Vaxillus

Minor Demoness said:
Also, who would you focus on? Guts or Griffiths, or Casca. I'd have it from Casca's point of view, but maybe that's because I'm a girl.  Also, she has the overall picture, unlike Guts and Griffiths, who're too busy with themselves.
That would work quite well for the first part, but after Griffith rapes her, she wouldn't be as easy to associate with for the audience. I doubt Griffith would work for any part, since most of his appeal is the fact that he's just a bit of a mystery, and it might be hard to maintain that if it was from his perspective.

Minor Demoness

Tentacle lurve, baby!
Rage Incarnate said:
Read the thread. ;) (I'm assuming you haven't because you don't refute the arguments aganst it)

I did skim through.  Most of was a lot of blah blah, it will suck, blah blah blah, they can't,  not possible blah blah. Me, I'm optimistic, I'd like to think someone would be able to produce something decent out of 29+ volumes worth of stuff. I don't think it will be that big of a loss even if just a small part was made into a movie, as long as it's well done and gives a gist of the story. S'all.

The horrible American voice actor maybe?

Naw, mostly has to do with startling resemblence to an ex. Must... hold... on to the hate.

And she is too busy with them. ;)  But seriously Griffith and Guts aren't that introverted as shown in Casca's flashback after the river on the morning after Griffith sold himself.  Or Guts when he grabbed Casca's hand as she attemted suicide.  Read the manga or whatch it with Japanese language with this in mind.

Done all that already. Own the Japanese language anime on DVD as well. It's not that either Guts or Griffith are introverted. They're too much into themselves, like I said. Casca, on the other hand,  sees the picture from both their point of views more so than the other two.

This thread will be here in the morning so you can complete your thoughts or ideas before posting.

Too many thoughts to complete at once.

That would work quite well for the first part, but after Griffith rapes her, she wouldn't be as easy to associate with for the audience.  I doubt Griffith would work for any part, since most of his appeal is the fact that he's just a bit of a mystery, and it might be hard to maintain that if it was from his perspective.

After that, I think it would have to be from Guts' POV. And with a lot of flashbacks.

Top Bottom