Batman Begins

Someone had to start it.  Just got back from the midnight showing.  It was an awesome movie and Batman is the way he should be.  It's late (or early) and I'm going to bed.  I'll talk more about it later.  Definitly a must see (though I bet Griff will have negative things to say).

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I'v herad that it was damn good and exactly how it should have been done. So I look forward to watching it. Also just to add some more stuff, I would suggest watching Million Dollar Baby. Pretty good movie with an ending that I didnt really except. :'(

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
dwarfkicker said:
Someone had to start it.  Just got back from the midnight showing.  It was an awesome movie and Batman is the way he should be.  It's late (or early) and I'm going to bed.  I'll talk more about it later.  Definitly a must see (though I bet Griff will have negative things to say).

Ha, you know nothing, I will gladly join you in singing the praises of this fine film.

Though it isn't flawless by any means. 8)

Oh it had its flaws but ya gotta agree, this is batman as he is meant to be. Given Bats is a little rusty around the edges but that's mainly due because he is just starting out, and this was portrayed nicely. Also how Batman becomes Batman was well done, with the whole making up his costume and gear. And then there's the training bit in the beginning. That was all awesome.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Very good movie. Bale was awesome, even though I couldn't tell whether he was playing as Bruce Wayne or Pat Bateman at times...

Griffith

dwarfkicker said:
Oh it had its flaws but ya gotta agree, this is batman as he is meant to be.  Given Bats is a little rusty around the edges but that's mainly due because he is just starting out, and this was portrayed nicely.  Also how Batman becomes Batman was well done, with the whole making up his costume and gear.  And then there's the training bit in the beginning.  That was all awesome.

What impresses me most is that this is an actual movie with some basic but overlapping themes and ideas expressed effectively by competant actors; in other words, very effective.

To put it another way, this is a good film despite the fact that it's a Batman movie, not because of it (Episode III apologists, take note).

As for flaws, the action may be one of them. Nolan makes Lucas look like James Cameron when it comes to directing an action sequence; especially the fights. Little to no wide shots, all close ups and quick cuts, you don't know who's hitting who half the time. Sometimes it's effective, but overall, choreograph something for Christ's sake. I'm not looking for the grandiose and retarded extended dance sequences that are passed off as fighting today (BTW, credit to this movie for avoiding that at least), but more stuff like the sparring on the ice-covered lake would have been good.

Anyway, didn't take away from the film for me; maybe even fits with it, since Nolan was smart enough to focus on the psychological aspects of Batman.

Good flick.

Oltobaz said:
Very good movie. Bale was awesome, even though I couldn't tell whether he was playing as Bruce Wayne or Pat Bateman at times...

BATEMAN BEGINS!

Kakkoii_Guts

海賊王になる男だ
This movie was excellent. I went in expecting the movie to be good. It was much better than I thought it would be. I'm glad it wasn't a vehicle for action figures and Happy Meals. This was an actual movie. I'm more than satisfied with it.

I really can't say enough good things about this movie.

Griffith

Majin Tenshi said:
The detective.
waits for someone to figure out why I posted this

Because Batman is supposed to be the World's greatest detective and he actually did real detective stuff in this movie instead of getting the answers from the "Bat Computer"?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Most of what he did in the movie was surveillance, where batman is actually supposed to put 2+2 together rather then just watch until the 4 pops up. No, my point is what Ras has allways called batman...

If they make a trilogy out of this....
Well, this one focused on his fighting ability.
The next one could focus on his detective ability.
The last one could show his planning genius along with him beating up superman or something...

Griffith

Yes, basic detectiving here, but it was nice to at least see Batman learning to learn things on his own and not just wait for the Joker to run, "I'm killing people with poison cosmetics, Batman!" ads on TV, information which he'll later put into yellow file folders and give to Vicky Vale. I am Batman! =)

Just for fun, Mark Hamil as the Joker, anyone? On the both the Batman and general nerd-scale, it would rate off the charts. ;D

Also intriguing since it could be either very bad (Old Luke Skywalker in makeup) or very good (Batman: The Animated Series Joker).

I'm torn on the action. At the same time the constant close ups were killing me. But at the same time they served to make the action seem much more intense and in that aspect it worked nicely. I just wish we got some zoomed out shots in there.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
indeed,
it was a great movie except for some minor flaws. Gordon driving the batmobile? COME ON! that was dumb. I was pissed when I found out Watanabe was only in the movie for like five seconds. Scarecrow was FRICKIN' AWESOME! Except for when he got stun gunned by that dumb ass. Listen baby, NEVER INTERRUPT A MAN RIDING A FLAMING HORSE! GEEZ! anyway, part two will be so awesome.

SCARECROW + JOKER = BEST VILLAIN COMBO EVER

Griffith

handsome rakshas said:
part two will be so awesome.

SCARECROW + JOKER = BEST VILLAIN COMBO EVER

Isn't this the kind of crap the movie was trying to avoid though?

Griffith

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
As long as there are no silver lined nipple things coming from Batman's costume, I dont care.

See, it's fine for jokes about them, or as a symbol of what went wrong, but those movies sucked, hard nipples or not. I just hope we don't lose sight of that again. I rather the movie totally fail then get some cheesedick sequels where they go back to the lameass, "Who are the 2 bad guys this time!?" formula. Especially after they established an inherently credible set up for Batman's World.

If this movie proved anything, it's that in that regard, less is more.

Kakkoii_Guts

海賊王になる男だ
"Griffith No More!" said:
Just for fun, Mark Hamil as the Joker, anyone? On the both the Batman and general nerd-scale, it would rate off the charts. ;D
Also intriguing since it could be either very bad (Old Luke Skywalker in makeup) or very good (Batman: The Animated Series Joker).

Hamill was wonderful on Batman the animated series. I'm not really sure how well he would pull it off in a live action movie. I think it would either be fantastic or horrible, nothing in between.

As long as the sequel is actually a movie and not an excuse to sell Doritos and action figures I'll be there. Hell if it's half as good as this movie I'll be happy. ;)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Insert Quote
Quote from: "Griffith No More!" on June 15, 2005, 05:57:13 PM
Isn't this the kind of crap the movie was trying to avoid though?

Wow! I finally get a reply from the infamous "Griffith no more" I am honored. By the way Grif, ever since I started visiting skullknight I always thought your avatar was the coolest one ever. Anyway, I guess you're right about Joker and scarecrow, it would get kind of silly. I still got the bad taste of Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy in my mouth. Riddler and Two face wasn't that bad. "Hey two face, show me how to punch a guy!" i thought that was funny. You're right Grif, I pretty much agree with you about everything you said about this film.

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
Walter said:
Still my favorite American comic.

I felt the same, absolutely, until I reread Watchmen a few weeks ago. Now I'm conflicted, but Dark Knight Returns is undoubtedly one of the greats. I really wish I'd picked up the leather-bound edition that included the first part of Batman: Year One back when it was still readily available.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
mahlernut said:
I felt the same, absolutely, until I reread Watchmen a few weeks ago. Now I'm conflicted, but Dark Knight Returns is undoubtedly one of the greats. I really wish I'd picked up the leather-bound edition that included the first part of Batman: Year One back when it was still readily available.
Watchmen is excellent, no doubt. Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen have a common thread too, the social implications of superheroes. Moore has a much more on-the-nose approach to it, while Miller is generally more theatrical. But I digress...

A leatherbound edition with Year One AND DKR? Searching ebay now 8), even though I found Year One a little less enjoyble. At least it didnt come packaged with Dark Knight STRIKES AGAIN. Anyone read that trash?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
*Obligatory mention of V for Vendetta*

Yeah, these comics rule, and I'll check the movie out since you guys liked it.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Walter said:
At least it didnt come packaged with Dark Knight STRIKES AGAIN. Anyone read that trash? 

I read the first two issues. There was no need for a sequel in the first place, and it really wasn't worth my time...I decided I wouldn't bother getting the last book.

Top Bottom