Nintendo DS

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: DS Lite

Walter said:
Capcom definitely built its success on the backs of Megaman, and subsequently Street Fighter. And both of them are turning 20 this year. But jesus, the last Megaman I played was ... X2. I had no fucking clue they'd made so many. Looked like they made 1 new title each year. I'd never even heard of Z or ZX. I should pick up whatever was made for the DS...

Megaman Zero features a different main character (Zero) as opposed to X which has the traditional Megaman. The Zero series was released on GBA. Megaman ZX and its sequel feat yet again different characters, 2 kids that can wear different armors to get various powers. In the video we also see the Battle Network games, that are pretty popular but also completely different from the main series, and that I myself don't like much.

Anyway, very nice Picross puzzles you have there man, good job! Very promising if that's your first tries. :guts:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Wow, what an addictive game! I can't seem to put this game down for more than a few minutes. I even managed to sneak a couple of puzzles in at work during patient report! Thanks Picross, now I don't remember what patients are diabetic!

Hopefully, I have the skills to challenge Walter soon. The biggest puzzles I've tackled so far have been the 10x10.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

handsome rakshas said:
Wow, what an addictive game! I can't seem to put this game down for more than a few minutes. I even managed to sneak a couple of puzzles in at work during patient report! Thanks Picross, now I don't remember what patients are diabetic!

Hopefully, I have the skills to challenge Walter soon. The biggest puzzles I've tackled so far have been the 10x10.
10x10 are the most fun, in my opinion. In the 15x15 and beyond ones, zooming in gets to be a real chore, and the larger puzzles are generally just frustratingly huge. Then again, I've only been playing for about 3 days so... I'm sure I'll eventually be able to tackle larger ones with ease.

Looking forward to the bout, Handsome :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Contra 4 gameplay vid:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5379721&bId=8229481

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
Contra 4 gameplay vid:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5379721&bId=8229481

I've never been a huge fan of Contra, but this looks pretty good to me. Pfff, there definitely are too many good games on this system. :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
I've never been a huge fan of Contra, but this looks pretty good to me. Pfff, there definitely are too many good games on this system. :puck:
And a distinct lack of shooters. There isn't one modern shooter, ala Ikaruga or even R-Type. I had a craving for one of those games today and was willing to buy anything remotely in that genre ... but NOTHING. NADA. Just Space Invaders Revolution or some shit. Come on Nintendo! License Treasure to do some awesome shooter already.

BTW, Im either picking up Heroes of Mana or Brain Age 2 tomorrow. I'll be back here with an initial review.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
And a distinct lack of shooters. There isn't one modern shooter, ala Ikaruga or even R-Type. I had a craving for one of those games today and was willing to buy anything remotely in that genre ... but NOTHING. NADA. Just Space Invaders Revolution or some shit.

Well there's Nanostray, one of the first games released for the system that probably costs $2 now. It's undervalued I think, mostly because it's really quite short. It's all about exploding the high score, so it's a pretty old school way to play. And it's quite beautiful too honestly, especially when you know its release date.

A sequel is also in development, and other than that there's Raid Over the River that's supposed to come out this year, and Geometry Wars, but that one might be a little too old school.

On a side note, Treasure hasn't been making shooters in a while I think, nowadays they just release fighting games it seems (notably on NDS).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
A sequel is also in development, and other than that there's Raid Over the River that's supposed to come out this year, and Geometry Wars, but that one might be a little too old school.
Nah, Geometry Wars looks great. Ive been looking forward to that for a while. But yeah, Im looking for something a little more modern. And as for Treasure hanging up the shooter hat, rumors persist of an Ikaruga/Radiant Silvergun sequel, so we'll see. Either way, chances of them being developed on the NDS are low. I'm just being optimistic.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
And as for Treasure hanging up the shooter hat, rumors persist of an Ikaruga/Radiant Silvergun sequel, so we'll see. Either way, chances of them being developed on the NDS are low. I'm just being optimistic.

I don't know about chances being low. Treasure's last two games were for the NDS, and before that they had released 3 GBA games. Their last non-Nintendo portable game is Gradius V on PS2 and came out in 2004. Considering the NDS' success I'm pretty sure they wouldn't miss an opportunity to conquer the Shoot 'Em Up market on the platform.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Hey, I'm glad to see others as interested in shooters as I am! I'm really looking forward to Geometry Wars, I had loads of fun with that on the Xbox.
PSP has a fair number of shooters but they're mostly collections of old Konami shooters so they are not really much better. If you guys are looking for a good treasure game I highly recommend Gunstar Heroes and Astro Boy for GBA if you haven't played them already.(And also Another cheap plug for the Bleach fighting games for NDS!) And Wally, if you are looking for awesome shooters you should pick up a Dreamcast for cheap. The amount of good shooter games on that system are insane. I'm going to check out that Nanostray, thanks for the tip Aaz. And let me know how Brain Age 2 is Walter, a store by my house has it for 14.99 tomorrow.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos

The last hand held system I owned was the original game boy, black and white. I'll get one of these new fangled things sooner or later.

A friend of mine found his little sisters' Nintendo DS on the porch of their house. She must've accidently dropped it on her way in. So what does this class act do, he steals it...from his sister. Lol. He told me this, I scolded him, but at the same time I found it sort of funny, in a cruel way. Then he commented on how he now has to steal the charger for it.

My friend is a scumbag. Just thought I'd share.

Well, my father gave me my little brother's PSP. He thought it was too much for him. And I couldn't agree more..... :zodd:

It's a shame that there aren't many good original games for the system, though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
So he can't get his hands on $150 or something?
You can get a Lite for $120 here in the states. A Red+Black version is packaged with Brain Age 2. I kinda want to buy that now that my fiancee has literally usurped my DS by taking it to play Picross at work every day. Maybe I'll delete her progress without telling her ... :zodd:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Well, Famitsu revealed that Treasure and ESP's new NDS project is Bangai-O Spirits, a sequel to the cult shoot 'em up Bangai-O that was released on DC and N64 in 2000. Not a lot has been releaved so far, but the game will feature a 4 players Versus Mode as well as the classic Cooperative Mode, and there'll be a built-in editor to create your own levels. In other news, DQIV will come out in Japan on November 22, and by the looks of it it's going to be awesome.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Never heard of Bangai-O, but it appears to be, as you say, a success. Here's IGN and Gamespot's favorable reviews of the Dreamcast game:

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/164/164860p1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/dreamcast/action/bangaio/review.html

As long as it's by Treasure I'm sure it'll kick ass. I was personally hoping for a sequel to Ikaruga, but that's just because it's the series of theirs, outside Gunstar Heroes, that I have the most exposure to.

Anyway, with DQIV and FFIV remakes coming out next year in the US (assuming they both come...), I'll be hard-pressed to decide which to buy first.

PS: T-MINUS 19 days until Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Black_Devil

Punos Rey

Walter said:
You can get a Lite for $120 here in the states. A Red+Black version is packaged with Brain Age 2. I kinda want to buy that now that my fiancee has literally usurped my DS by taking it to play Picross at work every day. Maybe I'll delete her progress without telling her ... :zodd:

I too am looking at getting the red/black ds, I might wait until they release the system only version(which I think is due in october) :chomp:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Black_Devil said:
I too am looking at getting the red/black ds, I might wait until they release the system only version(which I think is due in october) :chomp:
Hmmm... tempting. October eh? That'll ship around the same time as the new Zelda DS game. I've already taken Oct. 1 off work so I can play it all day :guts:

Also, Super Dodge Ball was announced for DS recently. So far only a Japanese release is scheduled. I don't know about you guys, but I love this series. This is the successor to the game of the same name which is in the same family as River City Ransom and Super Spike V-Ball, two classic NES games. Here's some (ultra tiny, thanks IGN) screens:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/954/954469/imgs_1.html

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Walter said:
Also, Super Dodge Ball was announced for DS recently. So far only a Japanese release is scheduled. I don't know about you guys, but I love this series. This is the successor to the game of the same name which is in the same family as River City Ransom and Super Spike V-Ball, two classic NES games. Here's some (ultra tiny, thanks IGN) screens:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/954/954469/imgs_1.html

Crap, Wally beat me to it! I was stoked when I found out about the announcement and this is one of my most anticipated releases. Also, for anyone that hasn't played Bangai-O I can assure you that it kicks ass. It's one of my favorite Dreamcast games and if it makes a good transition to the DS it will be a must buy for me. Is anyone else jealous that the Xbox live is getting three awesome Dreamcast games (Rez, Ikaruga, and Triggerheart Exelica) for their live arcade? If this trend keeps up Shenmue 3 will be A Xbox exclusive. :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

handsome rakshas said:
Is anyone else jealous that the Xbox live is getting three awesome Dreamcast games (Rez, Ikaruga, and Triggerheart Exelica) for their live arcade? If this trend keeps up Shenmue 3 will be A Xbox exclusive. :troll:

Well, on Wii there's NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams! :troll: Ok, so it's going to suck, but Sega's also planning a Samba de Amigo for Wii. And... Sonic Rush Adventure got good reviews? Sorry, I'm trying. =)

Since we're on that note though, what do you think of Yakuza 3's premise?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Aazealh said:
Since we're on that note though, what do you think of Yakuza 3's premise?

I love it! I'm a bit confused though, please tell me this game involves Kazuma getting sent back in time to the 16th century. The main character looks exactly like him, probably just an ancestor though. And what the hell, Yakuza 3? Where the did Yakuza 2 go? Damn, after I finished Shenmue 2 I've neglected my free roaming Sega adventures! I like the whole 16th century idea, but what does the title translate to? I'm going to guess YAKUZA 3: DA ORIGIN OF CRIMESTERS :troll: Thanks for bringing this up, reminds me that I have to finish Yakuza and get back up to speed with the newer games in the series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

handsome rakshas said:
I love it! I'm a bit confused though, please tell me this game involves Kazuma getting sent back in time to the 16th century. The main character looks exactly like him, probably just an ancestor though.

Yup, an ancestor that's apparently usurping Miyamoto Musashi's identity or something, Musashi who you'll meet later on in the game. Sounds promising, and the pictures I've seen so far look awesome.

handsome rakshas said:
And what the hell, Yakuza 3? Where the did Yakuza 2 go?

Hahaha well, it's been announced for 2008 in the USA. It'll be 2 years after the Japanese release but hey, there's no date for Europe so don't complain.

handsome rakshas said:
I like the whole 16th century idea, but what does the title translate to? I'm going to guess YAKUZA 3: DA ORIGIN OF CRIMESTERS :troll:

The thing is, the title's not really Yakuza, that was just a lazy adaptation in English. The original title is "Ryû ga Gotoku" and literally means "Like a Dragon", and this sequel's title is "Ryû ga gotoku Kenzan!"

Top Bottom