Nintendo DS

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Re: DS Lite

Professor Layton is pretty damn good so far. The cutscenes are wonderfully animated and the voice acting is well done. The puzzles so far are very interesting and pretty challenging. I'll let you know more when I get further.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nippon Ichi (the guys doing Disgaea) is going to announce 5 games for the NDS. While that's an awesome news, I'm going to start to lack space to put all my DS games...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This blows. I lost my DS on the plane during my honeymoon, and since then, there's been about 5 games I've wanted to play but CAN'T. CT comes out soon along with Dragon Quest IV, and FF IV just got released last week.

Whatever is an admin to do? PLEAD WITH ANYONE TO BUY MY BERSERK STATUE, now with bonus forum perks: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9282.0

Come to think of it, at this point, I'd be willing to settle for a trade. Nintendo DS Lite BLACK + ~$20 to cover shipping for the statue and it's SOLD. As long as it works and has no dead pixels, I'm happy.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Well, it's finally happened! I've played a game that is so intense that I broke my 20th anniversary Castlevania stylus! Appropriately enough, it was Konami's New International Track and Field. I never usually buy games where you have rub the damn stylus so fast your bicep is sore the next day. It's pretty fun though, I want to go online and try it out. I still haven't unlocked Simon yet. :judo:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
handsome rakshas said:
And we never heard from Saiya again...

You won't be hearing from me again either. It's a miracle Im not playing the original Phantasy Star Online right now.

Awesome news

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Aazealh said:
I'm really curious as to how this will differ with the PSP port of Phantasy Star Universe.

On another note, I'm not sure if it's been brought up yet, but apparently pirating is becoming a huge problem for the DS. I'm wondering if it will eventually take its toll on the number of games produced.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
On another note, I'm not sure if it's been brought up yet, but apparently pirating is becoming a huge problem for the DS. I'm wondering if it will eventually take its toll on the number of games produced.

I heard it was a problem, but is it really becoming that big? How does it compare to the situation at the time of the PS2 or GBA for example?

Vaxillus

Aazealh said:
I heard it was a problem, but is it really becoming that big? How does it compare to the situation at the time of the PS2 or GBA for example?
It's definately not HUGE, but I know most of my friends who own a DS have one of those less than savory memory cartridges. Can't say that's much of a sample size, but stuff like this could discourage smaller companys from taking the risk. PS2 at least had you breaking the warranty and openning the thing up in most cases.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
It's definately not HUGE, but I know most of my friends who own a DS have one of those less than savory memory cartridges. Can't say that's much of a sample size, but stuff like this could discourage smaller companys from taking the risk. PS2 at least had you breaking the warranty and openning the thing up in most cases.

Well, that's true for the PS2, but the GBA was even easier to "compromise" than the NDS. At least with the DS you've got to flash it and that can be risky. It's true though that a lot of people I know have a card to play ROMs with. I'd be interested to know the numbers of that whole business, and not only for the DS but for the PSP as well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I'd be interested to know the numbers of that whole business, and not only for the DS but for the PSP as well.
xX__HACK-KING091__Xx, a representative of X-TREEM DS PiR8 v3.0, was unavailable for comment and could not provide business statistics before press time Wednesday. :ganishka:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Vaxillus

Aazealh said:
Well, that's true for the PS2, but the GBA was even easier to "compromise" than the NDS. At least with the DS you've got to flash it and that can be risky. It's true though that a lot of people I know have a card to play ROMs with. I'd be interested to know the numbers of that whole business, and not only for the DS but for the PSP as well.
Yeah, I'm curious about figures as well. I do know it's making a significant dent in sales, since people are buying the DS left and right but game sales (according to the gametrailers.com peeps) don't match up. PSP definately has problems as well, but it ain't selling as well and it's not hard to get a hold of the all the good games on the system without breaking your wallet. Personally, I like the satisfaction of actually owning the game, especially since that same money will eventually end up in my pocket should I succeed in landing my job of choice as a concept artist.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
Yeah, I'm curious about figures as well. I do know it's making a significant dent in sales, since people are buying the DS left and right but game sales (according to the gametrailers.com peeps) don't match up.

Well unfortunately I don't think that can be avoided as long as it isn't extremely difficult to run unofficial software on a system. That's just how people are: if they can get something for free, most will regardless of consequences.

Vaxillus said:
PSP definately has problems as well, but it ain't selling as well and it's not hard to get a hold of the all the good games on the system without breaking your wallet.

That's true but I can tell you that I've never seen a PSP owner that didn't run ISOs and such. And while it's not selling as well as the NDS, if you look at Japanese sales for example, you'll see that the PSP itself sells rather well every week while close to no games are bought. It could partly be explained by its "new-age walkman" aspect, but not only IMHO.

BiQ_

" ... "
Aazealh said:

AFAIK, these days you actually don't have to risk bricking your DS to get to use pirated stuff...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The next model DS (as if anyone doubted it was coming) is rumored to include a camera and media player capabilities.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/09/nikkei-new-nint.html

The machine's wireless communication functionality will also be strengthened by allowing it to connect to "information terminals," possibly allowing a user to find nearby train stations or restaurants using his DS.
It's expected to hit Japan later this year.

So... who actually cares? I just want to be able to play my VC games on my DS. More rumors may confirm that:

And there might be more to this new model -- another version of the Nikkei report, since removed, apparently ran on a site called Monex and said that the hardware would have larger screens and be able to transfer data from the Wii or an SD card.
Hmmmm....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if a new model was really needed since the DS is still selling rather well. It's even back at the top in Japan these days. Since I only have an old school, non-Lite DS I might be tempted to get a new model though.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
And I literally bought a DS Lite three weeks ago... Oh well, the only reason I would be tempted to buy a new version would be if I could play VC games on it, which may or may not be the case?

Vaxillus

Makes me glad I haven't bought one yet. Kinda sad though, phones have been moving towards handheld consoles, and with this the opposite is true too. Then again, we know what happened last time you could call someone on a handheld:
ngage.gif

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
And I literally bought a DS Lite three weeks ago... Oh well, the only reason I would be tempted to buy a new version would be if I could play VC games on it, which may or may not be the case?

I would honestly be very surprised if it were the case.

Top Bottom