Silent Hill 5!

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Vaxillus said:
No. Where the gameplay is usually pretty basic in the Silent Hill series, that was the only game where I found myself getting wallraped by hoardes of invincible ghosts. The story was garbage and very predictable, and the voice acting was some of the most unemotional crap I've ever heard. It's like the main character didn't even care people were dying. Then there was the game actually telling you to kill the villain, about 5 times, which was just an insult to my inteligence and one of the corniest scenes I've ever whitnessed. Being forced to play through the game TWICE just brought it down a whole level too. I think the trailer for the game was the only good thing to come out of the entire project.

And yeah it's cheap now, but so are plenty of other cheap games that aren't so terrible.

Hmmm, i guess you really didn't like it then. As i said, it's not like i felt particularly offended by both of those titles. Sure, they don't rank as high as the other SH titles but i got a fairly good time out of them, at a very low cost even.

Oh, and about that voice acting part. Here's something that should never ever have happened in this world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyNjSAv_OuY

Wait, there's more.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg&feature=related

Urrghh..that's horrible voice acting..even i sound better at using english, and it's not even my native language. The voice actors for that atrocity can't even wash their hands in that regard.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I have no complaints about the control for the game, it was just vastly inferior to pretty much every other game in the series IMO. Soundtrack had a few good points, but 2&3 just seemed so much better. Just when you can pick Prince of Persia up at Gamestop for $10 I don't see why you'd choose this game unless you HAVE to play all the Silent Hill games. So far that's one thumbs down vs. two thumbs up, so it's really up to whether you think it's worth your money.

Haven't touched SH Origins, but a trucker as the main character didn't seem to lend itself to much depth. I'm probably getting a PSP for Monster Hunter, so what's the verdict?

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Vaxillus said:
Haven't touched SH Origins, but a trucker as the main character didn't seem to lend itself to much depth. I'm probably getting a PSP for Monster Hunter, so what's the verdict?

Hmm,well, Origins doesn't do anything that its predecessors didn't already accomplish. So its just another romp through a persons personal hell, but in essence, this title is tied a lot closer to part 1-3 than The Room ever was.
If you can live with the fact that a lot of elements of the former parts have been reused or rehashed, then you actually get a nice enough adventure out of that title.
But then again, you know that i actually enjoyed The Room...^^

Oburi

All praise Grail
Alright just two and a half more weeks till this gem is released. I can't wait to be scared of playing games again.!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Sounds good. Didn't know it was this close though. I better hurry up and finish lost odyssey then. :isidro:

Good Luck! I'm at the very end. All I need to do is go to Grand Staff (the final dungeon) and defeat the final boss there but I'm holding off on that until I do all the side quests. Collecting all the treasures, unlocking all the dreams and defeating all the hidden bosses ( for which you get achievements for). Beating that game 100% has got to be one of the hardest things I've ever been faced with in a video game. Damn that game is hard. So yea good luck.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:
Good Luck! I'm at the very end. All I need to do is go to Grand Staff (the final dungeon) and defeat the final boss there but I'm holding off on that until I do all the side quests. Collecting all the treasures, unlocking all the dreams and defeating all the hidden bosses ( for which you get achievements for). Beating that game 100% has got to be one of the hardest things I've ever been faced with in a video game. Damn that game is hard. So yea good luck.

Not to derail the thread too much, I have to say the first two bosses alone were one of the hardest first bosses I've ever had to fight. Sadly I have to haul ass I'm only on disc two. :judo:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Not to derail the thread too much, I have to say the first two bosses alone were one of the hardest first bosses I've ever had to fight. Sadly I have to haul ass I'm only on disc two. :judo:

You'll never make it in time.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Well Silent Hill 5 is out today.

Yeah, and I have to work! I'll pick it up beforehand and play it tonight at midnight. The game's been getting panned by game websites and IGN smacked it with a 6.7! I've bought every Silent Hill game on release day and this ones going to be no different.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
handsome rakshas said:
Yeah, and I have to work! I'll pick it up beforehand and play it tonight at midnight. The game's been getting panned by game websites and IGN smacked it with a 6.7! I've bought every Silent Hill game on release day and this ones going to be no different.

Well to quote from wiki:

The game has recieved mixed reviews from critics. GameName listed it as the greatest in the series and contributed the effects and sheer plot through the game as reasons for its realism through a tale of fiction and horror. GamePro praised it for its soundtrack and creepy atmosphere but critized it for its lackluster gameplay and predictable story saying it was the weakest game in the series.

* Official Xbox Magazine- 6.5/10
* Game Cinema- 8.5/10
* UGO[22]- A/A+
* GamePro - 3/5
* IGN - 6.7/10
* TeamXbox - 8.4/10
* 1UP- B

So what it comes down to is who you want to listen to.

Vaxillus

I might still get it since I tend to play the games mostly for the story and atmosphere, but from what I hear the story is too well explained. I liked the slightly vague, metaphorical storytelling of the other games, it made me sit down and make connections and think. If it does all that for me it's like buying a puzzle that assembles itself. I'd like to ear feedback from someone who considders themself a fan of the series, since most gaming journalism sites seem to have reviewers who stress gameplay much more than story and atmosphere.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm really rooting for this game, but since I learned it was an all (nearly) U.S. team, I've had my doubts it could re-create that unique SH atmosphere. Judging from the overall concensus of the reviews, it sounds like they hit the predictable stumbling blocks, but it's still an SH game. Hey, at least it's apparently not as bad as SH4!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Hey, at least it's apparently not as bad as SH4!

And that was an all Japanese team that's worked on the previous games!  :guts:

Got it, my main complaint is.... how fucking dark this game is. I couldn't see anything with the normal light setting, even with the brightest setting I barely can see.

The combat system isn't bad, still better then the other silent hill games. Still no comment about the storyline, since I've only played a little of the beginning.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
DARK AS HELL! It's not bad so far,a typical Silent Hill experience. The soundtrack is phenomenal and the atmosphere is definitely dark but not as creepy as previous games. It feels a little too much like the movie and the combat is way too fast, I liked a bumbling character that would miss shots and couldn't stab a monster forty times a second.

And Silent Hill 4 is good :miura:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:
A friend got it and told me it's not creepy at all compared to the first games. Confirm/Deny?

Confirm, it's not really that scary. I've made it to the hotel so far, haven't fought a boss yet so I'm not that far into the game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Confirm, it's not really that scary. I've made it to the hotel so far, haven't fought a boss yet so I'm not that far into the game.

Hmm, thanks. Maybe that changes later on. And what about the combat system? Are the enemies less challenging because of it, or have they been boosted up as well? It's regrettable that up to now a large part of the difficulty came from the broken controls, so I hope they've nailed this.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:
Hmm, thanks. Maybe that changes later on. And what about the combat system? Are the enemies less challenging because of it, or have they been boosted up as well? It's regrettable that up to now a large part of the difficulty came from the broken controls, so I hope they've nailed this.

I'm going to say that the combat system is worse than before. You got new moves like rolling and dodging but they don't work too well. Maybe I just need to get better at it, I'm pulled off a few successful dodges. The enemies aren't bad as far as difficulty goes, just don't try using a slow weapon like the axe on the quick striking nurses. They cut my ass to shreds! Honestly I don't remember having any problems with the melee in Silent Hill 4 or any of the other titles. It just seems awkward in Homecoming, too fast for my taste.

Vaxillus

I think this review seems to correspond with a lot of what I'm hearing:
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/silent-hill-5/916326p2.html

So apparently the first 3 hours are garbage but it get's more than back up to par after that. Combat still sucks apparently, but I've never played any of the silent hill games for their gameply. In fact, now that I think about it, the series would make a great movie if someone half decent did the screenwriting. Unfortunately, that'll likely never happen. :schierke:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Vaxillus said:
In fact, now that I think about it, the series would make a great movie if someone half decent did the screenwriting. Unfortunately, that'll likely never happen. :schierke:

Personally I blame Christophe Gans, Hot Topic and Weaboos for that. :miura:

Played it for about 2 hours last night. I always play SH at night, in the dark because I'm a huge loser. There was a BOO moment early on, but after that much less of it which I prefer.

I disagree on the combat 'sucking' - it's much more mobile than previous games and there is actually a tad of strategy mixed in. Previous games involved mashing the same button as fast as you could to prevent the enemy from getting a hit in, so I think it's a very welcome change. Plus you can do some pretty brutal things with combos! Combos are nice and using the right weapon for the job is rewarding. So far I'm not sold on the story and characters, but I am optimistic.

The graphics are fantastic and music is really good, but no surprise there. I'm surprised though that this game only outputs to 720p. Where's the 1080 love?

Top Bottom