GTA IV

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Full trailer was released today:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28633.html

The details in the graphics are the most impressive feature I'm noticing. Still, the character models look far more blocky than the vehicles/environments. What's with that?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Re: Grand Theft Auto IV

The lighting and city look pretty cool (I like the reflections in the cars). However the character models look very last gen, aside from some of the faces. So yea, I agree with you.

Also it looks like someone turned off the anti-aliasing on some shots.
I'm still interested, but not so much for the graphics.

Oburi

All praise Grail

I deffnly agree about the graphics, but the game will prolly be cool nonetheless

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I just hope Rockstar doesn't start taking itself too seriously. The "story" cutscenes in GTAIII and Vice City were the worst aspect of those games, in my opinion. And this just looks like it'll have even more of a plot (excuse to kill people and wreck cars ad infinitum).

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Walter said:
I just hope Rockstar doesn't start taking itself too seriously. The cutscenes in GTAIII and Vice City were the worst aspect of those games, in my opinion.

It's too late for that, and you didn't even get into San Andreas, homey! GTAIII didn't even have cut scenes by comparison. And yeah, these scenes actually looked less impressive than the last game in many respects (more of the same material, but with graphics that look relatively worse by today's standards, not that I care). I ask, who's going to make up for the absence of James Woods? =)

I'm honestly not thinking this will top San Andreas for me, I don't really care about playing in some mythical New York again after getting to live out my California dreamin' crime sprees. It basically fulfilled my perfect childhood game fantasy, a simulator of my hometown where I could do anything I wanted, from breaking windows right down to stealing full-sized jet liners from the airport. Everything I imagined came true and more! :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Griff, do you still have pics of your customized "skin" (loling here) for GTA San Andreas?

Griffith

Oh God... I mean, why, whatever do you mean? :guts:

MGA.jpg

That's right folks, not only did I whitewash CJ, but I turned him into Naked Snake!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Wow, yeah, it really looks like an MGS3 mod. (Damnit, why dont we have a Solid Snake emoticon? Oh yeah.. he's not from Berserk. Ugh, what a bunch of bullshit!)

Griffith

And what's really cool about it is San Andreas has a sneaking mode that basically transforms the gameplay into a poor man's MGS. You even crouch walk like Snake, sneak from shadow to shadow hiding, and sneak up on people to slit their throats with your knife. It might be the only thing more satisfying than a good old-fashioned Snake neck break. =)

Yep, looking forward to this one, always loved a good GTA game since the first. Can't say even the vehicles and environment graphics impress me overly let alone the characters, but I bet it will still be a great play.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

I think it's looking pretty good so far. Hopefully they add some variation to the gameplay so it doesn't get too repetitive, since the core formula hasn't changed since GTA III.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IGN has given it a 10, which previously was a rating given only to Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I don't think I'll be playing this for many years to come, since I don't own nor plan to buy a next-gen console. But I'd like to hear what others think of the game.

IGN's review: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p1.html

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's a very good game, no doubt about that. The gameplay in particular has been raised far above what other 3D GTA games have done so far. Driving is way more realistic, but most of all the gun fights are now enjoyable as opposed to the chore they were previously (at least to me). Yet, I wouldn't give the game a 10. Definitely a 9, though. In some respects (scenario, dialogue, humor, mission and location variety) San Andreas is superior IMHO. The "gritty realism" aspect of GTA IV sometimes makes it feel like there's no second degree at all, and that's not so good considering the game's theme.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
I don't think I'll be playing this for many years to come,

Pretty much teh same thing. I want to get this game, but I'll just wait to get a used copy or when they lower the price in 2 years.

Aazealh said:
Driving is way more realistic, but most of all the gun fights are now enjoyable as opposed to the chore they were previously (at least to me).

I flat out stopped playing the game series because the gun fighting was so atrocious. It looks like it's improved a lot. How is it?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I flat out stopped playing the game series because the gun fighting was so atrocious. It looks like it's improved a lot. How is it?

Yeah it's beyond words. It was a huge pain for me as well, and now it's more like actual actions games like Gears of War (of course it's not as good as that, but you get the idea). It's a fantastic improvement and just for that the game's great. The driving's also a lot more realistic.

CnC

Ad Oculos
You got yourself a 360/Ps3, Aaz? :guts:

Anyways I played about 30-40 mins of it before I had to get back to other work, but so far it hasn't gotten it's hooks into me. The driving mechanics feel sluggish for me at the moment and I haven't quite gotten used to the controls. Niko's "accent" is a little grating and the premise is fairly uncompelling. Gonna give it more time since this is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread.

I look at ign's 10.0 fairly suspiciously, as the idea of a "exclusive" review is pretty retarded which all but guarantees that the enthusiast press should never be taken seriously.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
CnC said:
I look at ign's 10.0 fairly suspiciously, as the idea of a "exclusive" review is pretty retarded which all but guarantees that the enthusiast press should never be taken seriously.

X-play did give it a 5/5. Granted this game is being given a lot of praise, did you give the online play a chance or no?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
You got yourself a 360/Ps3, Aaz? :guts:

Hehe nah, but I had the occasion to try the game, and it's on everybody's mind here at the moment, like in the rest of the world. :guts:

CnC said:
the premise is fairly uncompelling.

Unfortunately as far as I know that's one thing that won't change as you play more of the game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a pretty hilarious, speculatory article that's saying Iron Man ticket sales will be hurt by the nerds who would normally go see a comic book adaptation, but will probably just stay at home and play GTA IV:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/30/grand.theft.auto/index.html

However, I will give CNN some credit for exploring the possibility of cross-genre traffic congestion. We're nearly there ... but not yet, media. Not yet.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
X-play did give it a 5/5. Granted this game is being given a lot of praise, did you give the online play a chance or no?

Yea most places are giving it top scores (x-play is kind of a junk show tho, isn't it? I haven't seen it in a while). I was speaking more to the idea of the exclusive, embargoed opinion.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
CnC said:
Yea most places are giving it top scores (x-play is kind of a junk show tho, isn't it? I haven't seen it in a while). I was speaking more to the idea of the exclusive, embargoed opinion.

Xplay is ok as far as previews go, they've gone further down hill since they added the game tips and cheats part of the show. That's what GameFAQs is for. :miura:

Edit: to be more on topic, how is the game online? I remember asking this before, but it was ignored.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
This will probably be the first PS3 game I pick up, as I've only been using the system as a Blu-ray player since I got it a couple months back. I'm glad to hear the gunplay has been massively improved, as that was one of the only things I hated about the previous entries.

I got it the day it was released (yesterday? Yeah, yesterday...damn, feels like a week ago). I'm not big on the story/location so far, which vice city had the perfect combination of if you ask me. This is much more like GTAIII.

In some respects (scenario, dialogue, humor, mission and location variety) San Andreas is superior IMHO

Ugh, for real? I'd take this over SA anyday. CJ and his crew were fag-o-s.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'll be buying this game tomarow.
Walter said:
IGN has given it a 10, which previously was a rating given only to Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I don't think I'll be playing this for many years to come, since I don't own nor plan to buy a next-gen console. But I'd like to hear what others think of the game.

IGN's review: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p1.html

Why don't you plan to own a next gen console?

Top Bottom