Berserk nearly over? Or only halfway done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Funkmasta Zeph said:
Given Puck's what now?
In volume 18, Puck said he sensed an Elven aura around Skull Knight. No more details are known yet. It's remained a curve ball in every theory trying to pin down his origins.

lacroixma

I'm still new.
Aazealh said:
Well that's just my opinion, but think of all that's left to do/show/explain in the manga, and how long it'd take to do it well and in detail. The series hasn't really "just begun," but to me it's definitely not "almost over" either. Like I said it's really up to Miura to decide how long it'll go on, because in terms of potential I could see it reach a hundred volumes naturally.

It's funny that people keep bringing this up these days, it seems overly pessimistic to me. I know I don't like to even think about it. :SK: Anyway, life expectancy in Japan is one of the highest in the world, over 81 years old, so don't worry too much about it.

The death of Miura... lol. I tought about this a little while ago as well. And I ended up thinking it was very selfish of me hoping Miura dosen't die before finnishing Berserk. But still I can't help it. Up until 3 weeks ago I thought Berserk was a finnished work in Japan, I was buying the Dark Horse mangas when they came out but I started to get impatient and I got informed.... crap. Well, I also hope that it will go on for a while but I Never put a number on it. And then you hit me this totally plausible number... 20 years. Ah well. I have time to get married, finnish my studies, have kids, watch them go through puberty and then bring them in the loop before the story's done. Better get cracking. :isidro:

To the next 20 yearsish.

Cheers

Walter said:
In volume 18, Puck said he sensed an Elven aura around Skull Knight. No more details are known yet. It's remained a curve ball in every theory trying to pin down his origins.

I posted a rather lengthy theory over on another forum that explains it, if I recall correctly, but I've never posted it here because I figured the regulars here would shred it.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
coolerimmortal said:
I posted a rather lengthy theory over on another forum that explains it, if I recall correctly, but I've never posted it here because I figured the regulars here would shred it.
Post it anyway. If you made mistakes, the re-education will benefit you and increase your enjoyment of Berserk! :badbone:

Uriel said:
Post it anyway. If you made mistakes, the re-education will benefit you and increase your enjoyment of Berserk! :badbone:

I made that theory quite some time ago, and it's probably riddled with mistakes. I reread it and noted that I hadn't included the elf thing in that copy of the theory...I posted it twice, and the original copy was lost in a nuke of that forum...I found that theory archived somewhere, but it was missing what I spoke of earlier. Simply put, I suspect that Gaiseric was taken to Elfhelm at some point to recover, probably around the same time he became Skull Knight. He remained there for quite a while, hence the smell.

Keep in mind, the way I wrote that theory was rather authoritative...that's because I'm one of the more knowledgeable members on that forum, whereas I'm one of the least here.

Anyways, have at it.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well I hope Miura doesnt stop for at least another 20 years, :miura:, and I think it will go on for another 20 years too, so I say its about half way there.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Well think about it anyways. How long has it taken to reach the 30th volume? Close to a decade? So if 60th was the magic number you are looking at another 15 years atleast!

No way is Berserk nearly over. I mean, I think it's pretty obvious that Miura's going for a romantic comedy type situation (ala Ranma 1/2) on the elven island o' paradise. He'll be able to drag that out for years to come.

Just think about it: you've got Guts going for the retarded Casca's love while being pursued by Schierke and Farnese. Meanwhile, you've got Serpico going for Farnese, Isidoro going for Schierke, and Puck going for Evarella. And instead of turning into a girl, Guts just turns into the demonic dog of vengeance and tries to kill and rape everyone. My, what fun they shall have.

:chomp: + :beast: --> :serpico: :puck: :SK: :schierke: :isidro: :???:

Guts never seemed to be keen on having power over people. He's a good leader, but reluctant one.
If he were to turn into totally dark figure, it would be more of super powerful madman who kills anything that moves IMO. Somehow, I don't think it's gonna happen though.

Iscariot

The snack that smiles back!
For the most part, I'm standing with the "around half" group here. I'm personally guessing it's less than half completed. But I wonder... Miura has opened many shadowy rooms in the house of Berserk. I think it would be impractical to cover all of the ideas and subplots implied while drawing the entirety of the central plot to an eventual close. We've only come so far... So many younger characters have been introduced throughout the series, and there will obviously be even more allusions to the past as well. :schierke:

I'm not going so far as to say that I expect Miura to create another series, in which he could explain the past and/or future concerning the current story... He has, after all, been busy with this series for a long, long time. I'm well aware... Berserk is the tale of Guts. I'm simply wondering about the depths of the stories not being told, the stories surrounding our hero. Berserk has all the makings of a mythos, and I would be delighted if we were allowed a deeper examination into any other tales of its world.

Considering that, I believe it's likely Miura could, or has, written about all things concerning the earlier stories, the events which occurred long before Guts was born. (A supposed story following the "Next Generation" could work as well... Though who's to say if anyone of import survives? :beast:) After finishing the Berserk at hand... could he appoint a successor? Miura wouldn't leave his story; he'd still be head honcho, and would remain involved in its subsequent growth. It's his story, his world, and it always will be. Think Jim Henson... Except the armor would've shaped a bit more like a frog... :troll:

Oh, and I'm positive this thought of a successor, and many other ideas I've suggested here, have been considered before. If you accept it as a possibility, though, who's to say when Berserk will end?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
How long after the Prototype was it before the first proper episode came out?

Roughly a year after the prototype was featured in the Comi Comi magazine.

bph said:
Not to get off topic or make unfounded statements, BUT Yuzo Takada (creator of 3x3 Eyes) made a joke in an interview I read awhile back, saying that he always thought he would outlast his contemporaries (the breakthrough mangakas of the late eighties, as it were, specifically 87') including Miura, when 3x3 Eyes hit 40 volumes. He then goes on to say that Miura was starting to worry him, and he could see another 40 volumes of Berserk. Not really relevant to anything, I just thought it was funny.

That's a funny anecdote. No way can Berserk lose to 3x3 Eyes though, no matter in what regard. :void:

Marcus said:
I tought about this a little while ago as well. And I ended up thinking it was very selfish of me hoping Miura dosen't die before finnishing Berserk.

And you were right to think so. People who say that don't even care about the author, they just want a finished work for themselves. It's a pretty disgusting mentality. In fact I think I'm going to start removing posts that continuously refer to such an eventuality.

coolerimmortal said:
Simply put, I suspect that Gaiseric was taken to Elfhelm at some point to recover, probably around the same time he became Skull Knight. He remained there for quite a while, hence the smell.

Well it's pretty much a given that SK remained at Elfhelm for a while, and that his involvement with elves resulted in the aura Puck felt. His armor could come from there too.

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Well think about it anyways. How long has it taken to reach the 30th volume? Close to a decade?

More like 16 years actually.

Iscariot said:
I think it would be impractical to cover all of the ideas and subplots implied while drawing the entirety of the central plot to an eventual close. We've only come so far... So many younger characters have been introduced throughout the series, and there will obviously be even more allusions to the past as well.

Why would it be impractical? I think it's feasible and not as hard to do or problematic as you think. I fully trust Miura for such things.

Iscariot said:
I'm not going so far as to say that I expect Miura to create another series, in which he could explain the past and/or future concerning the current story... He has, after all, been busy with this series for a long, long time. I'm well aware... Berserk is the tale of Guts. I'm simply wondering about the depths of the stories not being told, the stories surrounding our hero. Berserk has all the makings of a mythos, and I would be delighted if we were allowed a deeper examination into any other tales of its world.

Well, personally I think it'd be better in every way to resolve all subplots, side stories and the like in the midst of the series, rather than afterwards as a spin-off. It'd add diversity to the events and make complete and self-contained. If Miura were to start another series after Berserk I think it'll be something unrelated.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
Well, personally I think it'd be better in every way to resolve all subplots, side stories and the like in the midst of the series, rather than afterwards as a spin-off. It'd add diversity to the events and make complete and self-contained. If Miura were to start another series after Berserk I think it'll be something unrelated.
I hope that Berserk will be done in a decent amount of time that would give him the chance to release either..

A: Berserk Master Editions, Full color such as Hokoto No Ken
B: Berserk Official Encyclopedia
C: Berserk OVA/Movie/Etc...

We can dream can't we? :judo:

A

avidwriter

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
I hope that Berserk will be done in a decent amount of time that would give him the chance to release either..

A: Berserk Master Editions, Full color such as Hokoto No Ken
B: Berserk Official Encyclopedia
C: Berserk OVA/Movie/Etc...

We can dream can't we?  :judo:

Full color? Well I'm not sure seeing as how the orignials are black and white. Having them color all the volumes seems a bit much. I'd really like to see B. though once the series is over. C isnt necessary unless its of certain parts of the manga, nothing new.

Walter said:
Because it's round? I don't really think Miura's going to compromise the story so the ending volume number is nice and "even."

Then 100 would be a better number...

just jk =X

Isn't Miura payed by the volume? I always saw him the charles dickens of mangas, and he would probably be inclined to drag out berserk for a very long time if he plans to stay employed. I mean starting a new manga storyline and setup is probably alot more effort then one that you have spent 10+ years planning already.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DemonX v.2.0 said:
Isn't Miura payed by the volume?
Where'd you hear that? Sounds like bs to me... Especially since it's published in YA before it comes out in the Jets Comics tankoubons.

And the thrust of your idea is pretty blasphemous. And stupid.

I can't see Berserk twenty years from now any more than I can forecast a episode from now, so I have no idea how long Miura will want to keep this up. However, I would personally like to believe that we are beyond the half way point.

Er, adding my thoughts, I would think Miura either has something akin to a contract with Y.A, IE certain number of episodes per quarter, or has something akin to freelance and gets paid by episode, or ...like everyone else, hourly wages? Nah.
Anyways, I doubt he gets paid per volume as episode size could vary just as number of episodes per volume. Also, Miura would only be receiving a paycheck twice per year, and I doubt he gets paid enough to stave off 6 months without any form of revenue, but eh, again I don't of anyone who balances his checkbook, so these are my own guesses obviously.

Well, I know that Hagiwara (mangaka responsible for Bastard!!) gets an advance for the next chapter, upon completing a given chapter. I read that in an interview, some time ago (I keep bringing up old interviews in this thread for some reason...). Of course, this is supplemented by money from royalties, which is why he no longer cares if he goes a half a year between chapters at this point. I would guess that Miura gets the same deal, although probably a better one in terms of how much he is paid per episode and I'm sure he makes more on royalties, but I believe this is more or less standard in the industry.

I still wonder what he actually DOES with his money. Privacy, etc aside, he's pretty heavy on writing/illustrating Berserk, and asides from what I catch in his interview and influences, there isn't much info on what other hobbies Miura has for a living. Hopefully he has an enjoyable outside life, even if his main passion is Berserk.

Mr. Miura is a "Japanese" professional. It would be out of character for him to drag on a story for more bling. Thats almost insulting. :miura:

Imagine Michelangelo taking extra coffee breaks while laying on his rack painting the Sistine Chapel, because Pope Julius II was paying him by the hour. lol. :chomp:

Most of the authors would like to bring their "Lives Work" to a conclusion before they are too old to do it themselfs. Self reliance is huge in Japan. I mean these guys take themselfs very seriously, and they are going to finish their legacy. THEIR LEGACY!!! My man is 41 I believe, so he's got a few to go and ain't going to choke on us.

With that said, most good series end in the vol 30s and some go into 40s (Dragonball Z was canned at vol 42). I've never seen a longer running series then that though.... There are spin off series, but they don't count.

Anyone out there seen any go past vol 42??

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DemonX v.2.0 said:
I mean starting a new manga storyline and setup is probably alot more effort then one that you have spent 10+ years planning already.

Quite the contrary I think. Keeping drawing the same story for years, making it evolve and all, while always retaining the same high quality demands a bigger effort than to just create short series.

Pakman said:
Mr. Miura is a "Japanese" professional. It would be out of character for him to drag on a story for more bling. Thats almost insulting. :miura:

It'd be out of character indeed, but not because of his nationality. There exists unscrupulous Japanese people.

Pakman said:
Most of the authors would like to bring their "Lives Work" to a conclusion before they are too old to do it themselfs. Self reliance is huge in Japan.

I think that goes for authors in general, not just Japanese ones.

Pakman said:
With that said, most good series end in the vol 30s and some go into 40s (Dragonball Z was canned at vol 42).

Sounds like a relatively unfounded assertion to me.

Pakman said:
Anyone out there seen any go past vol 42??

Plenty of series do. JoJo has 92 volumes, Golgo 13 has 143, Kochikame has 154.

i'd really hope to think that berserk isn't drawn out more than 10 or 12 more volumes. i feel that the original driving conflicts have worn off almost entirely. the sense of rivalry between guts and griffith has (in my readings) faded completely in the past couple of volumes. the events that set nearly everything in motion were 20 volumes ago and i think their effect is running out. maybe it's just that i'm reading an episode every other month, but the story--if anything--feels like it's in limbo right now.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
solinari67 said:
i'd really hope to think that berserk isn't drawn out more than 10 or 12 more volumes. i feel that the original driving conflicts have worn off almost entirely. the sense of rivalry between guts and griffith has (in my readings) faded completely in the past couple of volumes. the events that set nearly everything in motion were 20 volumes ago and i think their effect is running out. maybe it's just that i'm reading an episode every other month, but the story--if anything--feels like it's in limbo right now.

notagainnw0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom