Berserk on a motion picture?!?!?

Leeuwer

Out Of Will
Aazealh said:
Besides I think the only needed opinion would be Miura's.

Agreed.
Whenever the author of a series starts to pay too much attention to what fans want, instead of what he had in mind, things go very wrong.(see
:Terminator 3, Aliens vs. Predator, Spawn the comic ..)
Miura should keep doing what he is, and if he deems it possible to create a Berserk movie, so be it. But in general, fans should keep their hands of it without his lead.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
pearleet said:
Anybody know what his opinion is???
Well, from what I remember, Miura wasn't pleased with the anime's adaptation. I doubt the potential shitstorm surrounding major motion pictures would improve his relation with adaptations of his work.

I would be pleased with a high quality faithful OVA. That starts from the begining and just forgets about the Anime series (not that I hate the series - if it weren't for a friend of mine bringing it over a long time ago I may never have discovered this fantastic manga).

Kagami

Goo!
jepn30 said:
I would be pleased with a high quality faithful OVA. That starts from the begining and just forgets about the Anime series (not that I hate the series - if it weren't for a friend of mine bringing it over a long time ago I may never have discovered this fantastic manga).

Now THIS would be more interesting than a movie. Live action Berserk? blah..
Still, this would hafta be expensive and LONG.

well Berserk would sound like a good idea in a motion picture. I would like to see it as a live action movie :serpico: But the problem is. Who would you cast in Berserk to play the characters in the anime/Manga.

Probably Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson can play Pippin. lol

Skullgrin140 said:
well Berserk would sound like a good idea in a motion picture. I would like to see it as a live action movie.

Probably Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson can play Pippin. lol

First, I mean no offense to you personally. However:

I am tired of hearing mention of the Rock or any other wrestler even coming within a thousand miles of this property. I swear do people want Berserk to be transformed into a motion picture so that it can be raped in every conceivable manner, left on the side of a dirty road with it's clothing inside out and bound in duct tape?

I don't want to see Halle Berry as Caska, or Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Orlando Bloom as Griffith, or Mark "Marky-Mark" Wallberg or some fucking wrestler as Guts or Vin Diesel (that the majority of the people listed are to damn old is the least of the problems with such suggestions). Berserk is a Manga of quality and it seems odd that so many are hell bent on translating it into a film that is drowning in the purulent sludge that is the gutter of the movie industry.

The most reasonable comments I have heard have been a high-quality OVA (I will admit my bias as I to have suggested such an endeavor) or even translating the series into something like Square's Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children or Zemeckis' Beowulf project (which as rumour has it, they are trying to give the impression that you are watching a moving Frazetta painting). Though as of now I lean more toward an OVA. Beserk's structure does not lend itself to the motion picture format and works better serialized

Goddamn, I wish there was a way to issue restraining orders to protect beloved film, literature and novels, graphic novels/manga, even videogames from the corruption of reckless adaptation and re-imagining.

Sorry all for the rant. I will have you know I am not against all adaptation and even enjoy films that are adaptions of books (which I quite enjoy) but differ vastly from their source (the last two Potter Film's have been the best of the movies though - especially in the case of the last one - they differ quite a bit from their respective books, but I manage to enjoy them). But what do I know? I am one of those people who will be more than satisfied seeing this series continue on in it's current medium until it's conclusion.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
jepn30 said:
First, I mean no offense to you personally. However:

I am tired of hearing mention of the Rock or any other wrestler even coming within a thousand miles of this property. I swear do people want Berserk to be transformed into a motion picture so that it can be raped in every conceivable manner, left on the side of a dirty road with it's clothing inside out and bound in duct tape?

I don't want to see Halle Berry as Casca, or Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Orlando Bloom as Griffith, or Mark "Marky-Mark" Wallberg or some fucking wrestler as Guts or Vin Diesel (that the majority of the people listed are to damn old is the least of the problems with such suggestions). Berserk is a Manga of quality and it seems odd that so many are hell bent on translating it into a film that is drowning in the purulent sludge that is the gutter of the movie industry.

The most reasonable comments I have heard have been a high-quality OVA (I will admit my bias as I to have suggested such an endeavor) or even translating the series into something like Square's Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children or Zemeckis' Beowulf project (which as rumour has it, they are trying to give the impression that you are watching a moving Frazetta painting). Though as of now I lean more toward an OVA. Beserk's structure does not lend itself to the motion picture format and works better serialized

Goddamn, I wish there was a way to issue restraining orders to protect beloved film, literature and novels, graphic novels/manga, even videogames from the corruption of reckless adaptation and re-imagining.

Sorry all for the rant. I will have you know I am not against all adaptation and even enjoy films that are adaptions of books (which I quite enjoy) but differ vastly from their source (the last two Potter Film's have been the best of the movies though - especially in the case of the last one - they differ quite a bit from their respective books, but I manage to enjoy them). But what do I know? I am one of those people who will be more than satisfied seeing this series continue on in it's current medium until it's conclusion.

THANK YOU. This man has hit it exactly head-on for me. I don't want to see something I love so much destroyed simply to dumb it down so modern day retards can understand the plot, and hell any form of character interaction/developtment would be DESTROYED and replaced with "realistic looking explosions" and random fight scenes not in the manga.

All's that I'd enjoy would be an OVA.. ;)

Skullgrin140 said:
It would be pretty pointless to make Berserk into a live action movie. And anyway, not everything needs to be made into an movie
Right... Didn't you just say:
Skullgrin140 said:
well Berserk would sound like a good idea in a motion picture. I would like to see it as a live action movie
Is this a joke? Because I do find self-conflicting arguments to be somewhat amusing, but if you keep posting statements like this no one here will ever take you seriously.

CloudNutta

-nothing to fear but fear itself-
look at his pic..not takin much seriously with that, and if ur not readin the thread and askin over than you're done neway.
making berserk would require to much mixing of mediums, not to mention a lot of the material wouldnt be approved by any north american rating system
think about appleseed cg mixed with live action, of course it would be darker than apple but still i dont think tackling berserk as a movie would do it any justice, we're just all dreamers
get real.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Yeah.. it makes good conversation, but not a good serious idea. Berserk works best in the manga format, anything else is just for giggles. Not that it wouldn't be fun to see what would happen if you threw a LOT of money at Berserk. But there's essentially zero chance of any project capturing its spirit.

CloudNutta

-nothing to fear but fear itself-
agreed-no chance
as soon as i read charlie sheen/rock/leodicap my head exploded
charlie sheen was good chuckle though

El_Spico11

The power of death is intoxicating...
A second season to the anime is more likely to happen than an actual live-action movie. Unless its an anime movie, but I doubt it all the same. I'd rather have more anime adaptations than to see it raped by Hollywood personally. Also, I can't really picture anyone playing Griffith, I think his character is way too complex for any actor to pull off successfully. You just can't get the full Griffith effect on live action. Miura's creation of Griffith was the work of a genius, because I have never seen such a complex character in any movie/anime/book before. So basically, I wouldn't want to see Berserk destroyed in live action, such as the last Harry Potter movie (sucked big time).

I would like to see a quality live-action series based on Berserk. Look at Lord of the Rings. It can be done.

It is ridiculous to say that a sub-par live-action series would "destroy" Berserk. The manga would still exist in its original form. The live-action series would be a separate work. Your opinion of the manga should not be changed as a result of another Berserk project.

I have the feeling that most of the people who want to "protect Berserk from Hollywood" think of Berserk as their "secret treasure" to some extent. They like the fact that Berserk isn't mainstream. They want to keep it to themselves...

"Keep it secret. Keep it safe."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BillyBudd said:
I would like to see a quality live-action series based on Berserk. Look at Lord of the Rings. It can be done.
Well, I didn't really like Jackson's Lotr. I wouldn't enjoy seeing 3 hours of circular pans of Guts and his Band, personally.

It is ridiculous to say that a sub-par live-action series would "destroy" Berserk. The manga would still exist in its original form. The live-action series would be a separate work. Your opinion of the manga should not be changed as a result of another Berserk project.
I don't think anyone really believes the franchise would be ruined. I just don't think it could be very accurate to the manga. A live-action movie is subject to thounsands of discrepancies from the original work, because it's a whole different medium. It would need supervision and work from Miura in order to be 100% accurate. Otherwise, the creative team behind it would do some interpreting themselves, and lead to embarassment (See the English voice acting of Berserk).

I have the feeling that most of the people who want to "protect Berserk from Hollywood" think of Berserk as their "secret treasure" to some extent. They like the fact that Berserk isn't mainstream. They want to keep it to themselves...

"Keep it secret. Keep it safe."
I really just don't think a live-action movie would be that great. I'd be pretty embarassed to see some actor plodding around as Guts. I like the series too much to want to see it put in such dirty bathwater as motion pictures.

Top Bottom