Berserk Saga Project News

Rodrigo said:
Despite having its own numerous faults, I still believe the '97 TV series does hold an edge over the current Studio 4℃ in terms of at least one factor, and I think many would agree with me here - and that is the soundtrack music. It was only after rewatching "Egg of the King" a few more times I began to realize that it wasn't just the cuts and sloppy animation that ruin the battle scenes, it was also Shiro Sagisu's clichéd and painfully generic pseudo-operatic musical score and its bloated "epic" vocalizing. Contrast that with the electronically dark and sparse instrumentation of Susumu Hirasawa's soundtrack score, with its wild and unpredictable arrangements and time changes that hasn't aged at all and still sounds fresh even now after all these years.
The new ost is good to listen to itself but does not fit well in the movie
 
SuperVegetto said:
The new ost is good to listen to itself but does not fit well in the movie
I would say that there are two songs I can listen to countless times from Egg of the King and one of them is NOT from Shiro Sagisu.
 
JezzaX said:
I would say that there are two songs I can listen to countless times from Egg of the King and one of them is NOT from Shiro Sagisu.
Well the ost is not that good but not that bad either. There are some pretty good soundtracks. And the second movie's ost seems to be better.
Don't really care though as long as Hirasawa makes at least something for Berserk,
if the project goes one I hope he makes more brilliant songs like Sign and Aria ^^
 
Rodrigo said:
Despite having its own numerous faults, I still believe the '97 TV series does hold an edge over the current Studio 4℃ in terms of at least one factor, and I think many would agree with me here - and that is the soundtrack music. It was only after rewatching "Egg of the King" a few more times I began to realize that it wasn't just the cuts and sloppy animation that ruin the battle scenes, it was also Shiro Sagisu's clichéd and painfully generic pseudo-operatic musical score and its bloated "epic" vocalizing. Contrast that with the electronically dark and sparse instrumentation of Susumu Hirasawa's soundtrack score, with its wild and unpredictable arrangements and time changes that hasn't aged at all and still sounds fresh even now after all these years.
That's defiantly why Hirasawa's music goes so well with Berserk because it just fits so well with each of the scenes it plays alongside, don't get me wrong when I say I have liked some of Sagisu's work in the past but the thing is. Operatic, powerful, orchestral music is in no short supply and can be heard in alot of things now adays and even many years ago and having an Operatic score for Berserk just does not mix, not to mention I still feel that is what these films are missing is that they are missing the unpredictable and incredibly foreboding tone of Hirasawa's music that like you said still sounds fresh today. I think that's why I listen to him more is because his music is Timeless and has a way of not sounding too old or too stale in a musical sense.
 
SamNeillium said:
Someone with super audio skills and a lot of time on their hands should replace the movie soundtrack with the anime's. :guts:
I can almost do that, actually, LOL. I have the blu-ray (Japanese) one, and have a 1080p, 5.1 audio mix of it on my computer. Since usually music is in the surround and left/right speakers, the center is left independent and only has the dialogue. Unfortunately, it's not completely clean (there is always some bleed), but I did think about it! LOLOL. If I could get a hold of the original stems (Viz would have them), then I could easily replace the music! That would be fun. Every Guts/Griffith scene, cue the song "Gatsu"! aaAAAeyaaaYYaaYYAAA
 

Death May Die

"That day you left, that's when I knew."
You know honestly, the dub voice acting doesn't bother me that much. That may change upon viewing. I'm thinking unlikely, but are these the same voice actors from the 1997 anime?
 
Death May Die said:
You know honestly, the dub voice acting doesn't bother me that much. That may change upon viewing. I'm thinking unlikely, but are these the same voice actors from the 1997 anime?
yeah they are..
Well i hope that movie at leat will have outtakes in extras :troll:
 
Skullgrin140 said:
That's definitely why Hirasawa's music goes so well with Berserk because it just fits so well with each of the scenes it plays alongside, don't get me wrong when I say I have liked some of Sagisu's work in the past but the thing is. Operatic, powerful, orchestral music is in no short supply and can be heard in alot of things nowadays and even many years ago and having an Operatic score for Berserk just does not mix, not to mention I still feel that is what these films are missing is that they are missing the unpredictable and incredibly foreboding tone of Hirasawa's music that like you said still sounds fresh today. I think that's why I listen to him more is because his music is Timeless and has a way of not sounding too old or too stale in a musical sense.
Yep, that's right. Sagisu's musical work is something that has been overdone to death by incalculably many others that have come before him and will come after. Whereas Hirasawa's music is just uniquely unconventional and even bit weird, in its own wonderful way. And considering how amazing his soundtrack was for the TV series, I always wondered how far Hirasawa could have gone and pushed his talents, if he had the chance to score for a complete anime adaptation of the manga. Whenever I listen to "Behelit", "Guts" or "Fear", I try and imagine how the themes like "Trolls", "Sea God", "Pischacha", "Dhaka", or "Ganishka" would sound like if done by him. No doubt it would have been something very nightmarish and unsettling sounding, but other than that I can't think of anything else. When I watched the "Egg of the King" movie, as soon as Sagisu's pompous and overblown orchestral "opera" soundtrack cued in, my initial reaction was "My goodness, just where have I heard this before?" :schierke:
:ganishka:


DirectDK said:
I can almost do that, actually, LOL. I have the blu-ray (Japanese) one, and have a 1080p, 5.1 audio mix of it on my computer. Since usually music is in the surround and left/right speakers, the center is left independent and only has the dialogue. Unfortunately, it's not completely clean (there is always some bleed), but I did think about it! LOLOL. If I could get a hold of the original stems (Viz would have them), then I could easily replace the music! That would be fun. Every Guts/Griffith scene, cue the song "Guts"! aaAAAeyaaaYYaaYYAAA
Good luck, dude. I hope it can and will be done :guts:
If successful, no doubt this thing will be the best fan-made project to happen in this forum since Griffith's Berserk Recut.
 

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Skullgrin140 said:
having an Operatic score for Berserk just does not mix, not to mention I still feel that is what these films are missing is that they are missing the unpredictable and incredibly foreboding tone of Hirasawa's music that like you said still sounds fresh today.
Think about what you posted here for a second. "On paper", you would say that techno/electronica music based on 80's synths would fit a medieval-like fantasy anime? It's not a matter of weather a score composition would fit, but a matter of being done well enough to grasp the source's concept. And with Berserk in general... There are many music genres that do fit. There's a conversation based on this on the Podcast that I think you may find interesting. That is, if you haven't already heard it already.

DirectDK said:
I can almost do that, actually, LOL. I have the blu-ray (Japanese) one, and have a 1080p, 5.1 audio mix of it on my computer. Since usually music is in the surround and left/right speakers, the center is left independent and only has the dialogue. Unfortunately, it's not completely clean (there is always some bleed)...
Actually, if you are willing to decrease both high sounds like treble, and low channels channels like the bass for example. You'd be surprised how clean it can be. But you would loose voice and other sound channel quality. In short, it wouldn't be crisp but not obvious.
 
Nomad said:
Think about what you posted here for a second. "On paper", you would say that techno/electronica music based on 80's synths would fit a medieval-like fantasy anime? It's not a matter of weather a score composition would fit, but a matter of being done well enough to grasp the source's concept.
This. We shouldn't demand a carbon copy repeat of what came before, regardless of what type of nostalgia we have for it. We will always have the Hirasawa scores from both the anime and PS2 game to cherish for all their originality. And would you really want someone else aping his style. Trying to live up to that unique, yet appropriate weirdness will at best be on par, and at worst, fall short.

I think an orchestral score for a medieval fantasy is more than appropriate. It's not as if they chose gangster rap or swing music to score this. Debating the quality of it on it's own grounds is fair, but being spiteful that they didn't copy the predecessor is a bit much.
 
Nomad said:
Think about what you posted here for a second. "On paper", you would say that techno/electronica music based on 80's synths would fit a medieval-like fantasy anime? It's not a matter of weather a score composition would fit, but a matter of being done well enough to grasp the source's concept. And with Berserk in general... There are many music genres that do fit. There's a conversation based on this on the Podcast that I think you may find interesting. That is, if you haven't already heard it already.
I have heard it and I understand and agree 100%. If I was a well known composer piggybacking off of something for a long stretch of time I would get pretty sick of it too after doing nothing but the same thing and not letting anyone else have a go at composing a soundtrack to a product, to me though I do feel like Hirasawa's works just match Berserk perfectly and it's sometimes difficult to imagine another soundtrack going alongside it, it's sadly one of those things about Nostalgia in no matter how much you want to embrace the change it's hard to see anything past that, But that's not to say Sagisu's score does not work, I feel it is a beautiful score and something orchestral matches medieval folklore in an instant. So the Sagisu's score works on some high notes and not on others if that makes sense.
 
I was expecting it to be released sometime this month, but we haven't gotten any news about it. From what I remember, the DVD/blu-ray release date for the first movie was announced at least a month in advance...
 
A fan-subbed version of the teaser trailer for the third movie not my work and the subs are a youtube feature not embedded into the video so for me anyway they did not always load though it might just be my crappy connection anyway enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lvODWBOolg

also the same guy made a subbed version of the trailer for the 2nd berserk movie its right here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyROCT8S9zk
 
Just to 're-light' the discussion; if new viewers/readers like the anime.

I gave a friend of mine the tv series and the first film, and he liked them both (he is still around episode 14-15 of the tv series).
And he hopes they continue making more films, since he enjoyed the first film.

Ofcourse it is also a matter of taste's in films etc. But maybe newcomers to Berserk don't mind the bad 3D (which I personally find weird...) and don't mind not getting the whole story/faithful adaption.
I obviously advised him to read the manga, but he really enjoyed watching the tv series and film and he has a good taste of films from what I can tell. (Since he sometimes gives me tips for what films/series to watch.)
 
Edi said:
http://news.livedoor.com/article/image_detail/6668817/?img_id=3424310


I'm pretty sure this is CG, isn't it? Because if it is, damn, they improved a lot! Honestly, I like the stuff they showed so far from the 3rd movie. I know that this won't fix what they did with the beginning, but I do hope that the 3rd part can give some relief for us, and we can finally go to sleep without crying for the ruined Berserk world :troll:
 
Gill said:


I'm pretty sure this is CG, isn't it? Because if it is, damn, they improved a lot! Honestly, I like the stuff they showed so far from the 3rd movie. I know that this won't fix what they did with the beginning, but I do hope that the 3rd part can give some relief for us, and we can finally go to sleep without crying for the ruined Berserk world :troll:


"Mixed — The 3D Models Still Look Terrible, But Are Far Better Utilized
Let me stress this right away: the 3D models used intermittently throughout the movie still look terrible. However, I finally figured out just what exactly makes the 3D models so atrocious: the faces. They barely emote and lips and wrinkles are just the stretching and pinching of the overlaying texture. It seems that the creators understand this weakness in the animation as well and took active steps to combat it. In this second film, 3D models are used almost exclusively on people whose faces are covered—or when the action is at such a high speed, no one would notice anyway. And when 3D models are necessary for an action scene where a main character is helmet-less, the face is usually done in 2D animation that has been placed over the 3D animation. Moreover, the motion capture for the 3D animation has been greatly improved as well, making most of it watchable—if not enjoyable." Source: http://kotaku.com/5922239/the-second-berserk-movie-is-better-than-the-first?post=52703648

I havent seen the movie yet, waiting on dvd release, but it seems to have improved. Lets hope it will look even more watchable in the third movie.
 
Top Bottom