Bore of the Worlds

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Killer Klowns was awesome!

Aside from that, WOTW was a big let down. I liked the fight between Tom and the 100 foot war machine, interesting at the least.

*BIG FUCKING SPOILERS COMING OUT OF YOUR MOM'S ASS*

I hate that girl.

[/spoilers]

I hated Minority Report intensely and thought AI was garbage, so I decided not to join my brother-in-law + sis yesterday to see this movie. Spielberg, Like Lucas, can't make good movies anymore.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Psymont 2.0 said:
ever notice when your expectations are lowered, you actually enjoy things more... as a result, i enjoyed it...
True, I wasn't screaming for my money back...when you lower your expectations, the only thing that can disappoint you is Howard Stern's career.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well I just got back from it...
"BORE of the worlds" !!?!?! hah!

*Spoilers from hereout*

I thought it was great. The lighting, the effects! wow!

Of course, it isn't above some nitpicks. I thought there were too many "in the basement hiding from the lightning/aliens/alien-silver-eyeball-tentacle-thingy" scenes. Seems they were hopping from basement to basement all the way through.
However, unlike ID4, this focused more on the exodus and the people running (and how crazy they are). Which I liked. ID4 was one "lets kick ass" scene to another.
I'd recommend this to anyone without hesitation

to summarize... wow!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
I thought it was great.  The lighting, the effects! wow!

Agreed, the only problem is everything else. =)

Granted, nobody can take those things away from Spielberg, but to me it's all the more dissapointing when such lovely frosting is put on a shit cake. The thing has so many filmmaking and storytelling holes in it that Spielberg could drive the truck from DUEL through it. Being better than ID4 is little consolation. Hell, at least ID4 lives up to it's own pretensions, I can't say the same about this film.

UGH! I WANT TO LIKE IT, BUT I JUST CAAAAAAHHHHN'T! ;D

Anyway, I'm summarizing my review as, "not bad, but stupid and sucky."

Now that's ad-worthy.

I just watched it a few day ago... Here to summarize my conclusion

BTW spoiler... Thought it would be good to know it before you all decide to wasted your budget on this movie...

OUT OF THE WORLD (Perhap out of the titles... For christ sake the content doesn't make sense with the title)

CAST:

TOM CRUISE- A superb coward... Steven has finally revealed him as the best running stars. His impressive skills in evading every laser beam so narrowly and maintaining that cool look earned him possibly the best candidate for the next Nike major advertisement

MORGAN FREEMAN- I don't even remember seeing him...

DAKOTA FANNING- Enhancement to the sound effect, Nice screaming practices... Perhap Steven Spielberg realised that he will save more budget by using her to create those fans-anticipated sound effect?

TIM ROBBIN- Best cast and character to prolong the movie unnecessary. However his introduction to the movie was brief and tragic when the great movie director realised that he is no longer useful in ensuring Tom Cruise and her daughter safety. He was killed by the one he saved initially... and EASILY... :)

MIRANDA OTTO- The amazing cast who said I am no Man in LOTR is now nothing more than a helpless mother who add the warm effect to the happy ending where no one from Cruise family died

JUSTIN CHATWIN- A cast in the movie that resemble the fire guy from F4, he is apparently immune to fire, this is evident as you see no sign of injury or burned on him when he reappeared again during the warm gather at the end. Add to the thrilling experience for the movie by giving Cruise more trouble.

ALIENS- Cute little bugger that show no mercy for man... They have been planning this for a million year and yet they wait for a million year to exterminate us where they could have done that back then. Attractive but not Intelligent, Apparently they forgot to check the Earth's atmosphere for deadly bacteria before they even send their team down...

BACTERIA- SAVIOR OF THE DAY! They are one who exterminate the alien before it exterminate us... And also the best excuse Steven can give before the movie comes to a point where killing the alien would be impossible...

STEVEN SPIELBERG- Add to the name of the movie with a 'FILM' behind, possible best person to attract people to watch this no-story-line movie... Who knows if he might perform better as a cast than a director at this point in time...

Most Interesting part of the movie:

1) Cruise seem that the person who trigger the explosion for the building, like the person who trigger the time bomb donation, He survive it by ensuring the building exploded always just a few feet behind him... Maybe the alien was chasing after him and yet didn't get him becz of his impressive running skills. He can only be caught when he turn himself in to save daughter

2) His van somehow survive the plane crash

3) When the big ship was overturned, The car slide and hit into them, and all of them was uninjured too as usual. Everyone was picked out from the water except them...

4) Cage incident: Those victims seem to know he is the big star Tom Cruise who will save their lives, Everyone help him pulling him out but heck care about the previous one who was taken up. The cage landed nicely and safety on top of a tree and the cage miraculous opened up and people can start climbing out...

5) The tripod is also living thing, or maybe the bacteria was the one that cause the shield to deactivate. Or perhap the alien knowing they have been infected and dying decided to off the shield so that human can finish them quickly and not letting them suffer... Hmmm...

Overall i have to say, this is such a disappointment

Well, I have yet to see the movie, but I heard about 50/50 (just as many people that say it was awesome, think it was bad) on good and bad so I dont know, I may just wait until its released on DVD to see it, instead of going to all the trouble to see it and spend more money.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm being forced to see it for a class on Friday. I'm not looking forward to it. And Zelz, it's true. I've seen a true split right down the middle on this movie. Actually.. that seems to be the consistent trend for summer blockbusters this year.

Well I liked it. I used to be big into War of the Worlds when I was younger. I enjoyed the TV series on years ago. I watch movies differently than most people do anyways, I look for creativity, not just how flawwed the movie is. I read some rumors how it wasn't going to follow a similar story line to the earlier war of the Worlds, but it did, so I was happy. ;D

- C

Griffith

If I'm to assume that your above statement makes sense, you consider "creativity" a most grievous flaw; thus, you look for it over common flaws, and since no creativity could be found in this totally derivative War of the Worlds movie, you liked it.

Good thing you look at movies so differently from us regular folk too, because if you liked creativity and didn't overlook flaws, you might not have liked it so much. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Smith said:
MORGAN FREEMAN- I don't even remember seeing him...

he was the narrator

ALIENS- Cute little bugger that show no mercy for man... They have been planning this for a million year and yet they wait for a million year to exterminate us where they could have done that back then. Attractive but not Intelligent, Apparently they forgot to check the Earth's atmosphere for deadly bacteria before they even send their team down...

A million years according to Ogilvy (Tim Robbins), the resident crazy man locked in his basement. His word is just that, his.

BACTERIA- SAVIOR OF THE DAY! They are one who exterminate the alien before it exterminate us... And also the best excuse Steven can give before the movie comes to a point where killing the alien would be impossible...

This is how they're killed in the book.

1) Cruise seem that the person who trigger the explosion for the building, like the person who trigger the time bomb donation, He survive it by ensuring the building exploded always just a few feet behind him... Maybe the alien was chasing after him and yet didn't get him becz of his impressive running skills. He can only be caught when he turn himself in to save daughter

what? huh?

2) His van somehow survive the plane crash
tou che, guess he parked it around back. This is, kind of, a plot hole.

4) Cage incident: Those victims seem to know he is the big star Tom Cruise who will save their lives, Everyone help him pulling him out but heck care about the previous one who was taken up. The cage landed nicely and safety on top of a tree and the cage miraculous opened up and people can start climbing out...
I'm guessing the actions of the people in the cage are supposed to contrast the actions of the people during the van hijacking (basically a bunch of cowards). Basically to say theres something worth saving in humanity (blah blah). If they didn't save him or if they all fell to their deaths after the tripod blows up, it would have been a boring movie.

5) The tripod is also living thing, or maybe the bacteria was the one that cause the shield to deactivate. Or perhap the alien knowing they have been infected and dying decided to off the shield so that human can finish them quickly and not letting them suffer... Hmmm...

I'm in slight agreement here. In the book they died of disease and that's that. However I don't think the movie going audience would accept that so they took down one of 'em the old fashioned way. Not being an expert in alien technology I have no idea what governs their shields being up or down (they didn't have sheilds in the book, they just kicked ass). Who knows if theres nothing organic about the ships. They moved organically enough.

CnC said:
This is how they're killed in the book.
what? huh?

A mistake i made, but the ending still sux

Well Cruise got everyone beside him dead except him (Those laser keep missing him is really too exaggerating), those building exploded from both side of the road just a few feet behind... Its always nicely a few feet behind... I remeber only seeing one tripod why was the alien aiming only at his area?

CnC said:
If they didn't save him or if they all fell to their deaths after the tripod blows up, it would have been a boring movie.

Well what make you think by pulling him out the tripod, it wont blow and they wont be dead? The tree is already nicely spread out welcoming them to have a nice cushion support for their falls...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Smith said:
A mistake i made, but the ending still sux

I'm actually relieved that they stayed true to the book. They could've had yet another ID4-esque ending but they didn't. Plus, Morgan Freemans interpretation of the book's epilogue was (IMO) very well written.

Well Cruise got everyone beside him dead except him (Those laser keep missing him is really too exaggerating), those building exploded from both side of the road just a few feet behind... Its always nicely a few feet behind... I remember only seeing one tripod why was the alien aiming only at his area?
OK, I thought this scene was cool. Yes, he's running and nearly everyone around him is being destroyed by the heat ray. If he had been killed then it would have been a boring movie for the same reasons as I've already stated.
But then he goes home in a state of shock not realizing that he's covered in the ashes of burnt people. When he realizes this he goes through that frantic washing in the bathroom which (again IMO) was very well done.

Well what make you think by pulling him out the tripod, it wont blow and they wont be dead? The tree is already nicely spread out welcoming them to have a nice cushion support for their falls...
Again, would've been stupid had they all died right then. Perhaps a "Game over" screen.
Continue ? 9...8...

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The insides of those things looked organic to me. An easy way to think of them is that they are Shrimp.

mmm...shrimp...

Griffith

Jesus, I can't believe people are still defending this tripe!? I don't care if you like it or not, but c'mon, we should certainly be able to agree that it was stupid; even insulting to our intelligence. Anyway, no point in making or defending nitpicks when Spielberg obviously wasn't interested in any kind of coherency anyway. He literally filmed it in 5 minutes. =)

As for them staying true to the ending, great, but I think the complaint is that perhaps Spielberg could have used some of that famous filmmaking gusto of his to make it, you know, not shitty and stupid. The tone was about as dramatic as a sitcom, only funnier. And lets not forget the stunning sequence that led up to it, "Hey, supposedly trained soildier, did you notice the shields is down!? You can tell because the birds are attacking it; like what happens to any vehecile on Earth when its shields are down!" "Thanks for that clumsy plot device, Tom Cruise, we're all just a bunch of morons, like the aliens, the audience, and you, right Senor Spielbergo!?" Yeah, I sure enjoyed two hours of that. When the thing fell over and the alien hand came out, in the by the numbers tribute to the 50's film I predicted Spielberg would do as soon as I heard about this movie, I didn't think the best director ever could care less. "Okay, the camera's on, GO!" I would have rather the last Tripod was about to destroy Tom Cruise and his family but then the T-Rex eats it. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
"Griffith No More!" said:
Jesus, I can't believe people are still defending this tripe!? I don't care if you like it or not, but c'mon, we should certainly be able to agree that it was stupid; even insulting to our intelligence. Anyway, no point in making or defending nitpicks when Spielberg obviously wasn't interested in any kind of coherency anyway. He literally filmed it in 5 minutes. =)

As for them staying true to the ending, great, but I think the complaint is that perhaps Spielberg could have used some of that famous filmmaking gusto of his to make it, you know, not shitty and stupid. The tone was about as dramatic as a sitcom, only funnier. And lets not forget the stunning sequence that led up to it, "Hey, supposedly trained soildier, did you notice the shields is down!? You can tell because the birds are attacking it; like what happens to any vehecile on Earth when its shields are down!" "Thanks for that clumsy plot device, Tom Cruise, we're all just a bunch of morons, like the aliens, the audience, and you, right Senor Spielbergo!?" Yeah, I sure enjoyed two hours of that. When the thing fell over and the alien hand came out, in the by the numbers tribute to the 50's film I predicted Spielberg would do as soon as I heard about this movie, I didn't think the best director ever could care less. "Okay, the camera's on, GO!" I would have rather the last Tripod was about to destroy Tom Cruise and his family but then the T-Rex eats it. =)

what? even if we liked it we have to say its stupid and insulting?

Its kind of hard to form some of rebuttle to your crit. I disagree that the ending was "shitty and stupid".
However, I will concede that I wasn't exactly on the edge of my seat during the soldiers assault on the dizzy tripod.

WotW was a good summer blockbuster movie, good special efects, Great sound, lots of action. What the hell everyone espected about this, I dont know.

CnC

Ad Oculos
ELEKTRO said:
WotW was a good summer blockbuster movie, good special efects, Great sound, lots of action. What the hell everyone espected about this, I dont know.

doesn't ANYONE read what they've just written to check for spelling anymore?
Hell theres a checker right next to the preview button.

Top Bottom