Burj Dubai... Anyone heard before?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Re: BD breaking record!

Aazealh said:
And what are they going to do with all these buildings, considering the population is barely over a million inhabitants? Warehouses maybe?

They could move the richest inhabitants to the top to separate them from the poverty in the region as much as possible.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

CnC said:
They could move the richest inhabitants to the top to separate them from the poverty in the region as much as possible.

And the lower stories would be full of deadly robots and mob underlings, just like in Streets of Rage? Genius!

CnC

Ad Oculos

Burj Dubai: Do you think they're compensating for something?

Aazealh said:
And the lower stories would be full of deadly robots and mob underlings, just like in Streets of Rage? Genius!

Better yet, it could be like Game of Death, only with 150 floors of Kung Fu masters. Can YOU fight your way to the top?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

CnC said:
Better yet, it could be like Game of Death, only with 150 floors of Kung Fu masters. Can YOU fight your way to the top?

I'd better start training soon. Climbing the stairs is gonna be the real killer. :SK:

Aazealh said:
And what are they going to do with all these buildings, considering the population is barely over a million inhabitants? Warehouses maybe?

I'm not kidding Aaz, there is already so many supertall U/C there, to name a few Princess 101, Marina Pinnacle, Marina 23, ocean height, Burj Alam, The index etc. World tallest hotel Rose tower, just built this year is there too.

They are pretty confident all these will be filled up, I dunno how, but they are rich enough to afford all these losses if it did turn out to be warehouses.

For those who are interested, take a look at a recent discovery channel programme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aklENNbG2BM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPQXRkkvad0

Anyway lets just stop critising how bad this building is, I mean you guys just to look at the shape and design of the structure itself, its pretty impressive. It sound lame but, BD has estimated 10 record breaking features

to list a few (beside world tallest obviously)

World fastest service elevators
World longest lift shaft
World highest cranes attached to a structure
World tallest concrete pump
World highest club
World largest floors in a building
... ... ...

:carcus:

Yeah Smith, now I'm seriously considering stopping there next time I travel, so you'll want to make sure you get your royalties from the Dubai tourist agency when I do. ;)

Sparnage said:
Yeah Smith, now I'm seriously considering stopping there next time I travel, so you'll want to make sure you get your royalties from the Dubai tourist agency when I do. ;)

Haha lets make this clear though, I'm not trying to promote anything in Dubai especially tourism. I love my country my better :carcus:

However there is one thing I really like, that is the "the sky is the limit" restriction for Dubai. For some of us people who aspired to become architects, designers, engineers, hotel manager etc. This is a great place to fully utilised and showcase your talent. For eg. architects as mentioned in the video, this is a playground for them to try anything and everything. (And this is probably going to be the path i am going into)

I have to honestly say, it never fail to amaze me, it more impressive than NY back in 1930s. Thats all, but i am not pledging any loyalty to that dessert country. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
I have to honestly say, it never fail to amaze me, it more impressive than NY back in 1930s.
Maybe I'm off my rocker here, and I'm certainly no expert on the city, but Dubai seems to have taken a pretty contrived direction with all these new structures. They're building big shit for the sake of it. In New York, space was limited, since theyre on a fucking island, and it only makes sense to build up, not out. Dubai is in a fucking desert and are "innovating" just to appear a spectacle.

Is the city's demographic and its local economy really driving these big investments or are they just banking on people moving there to stare up at the sky and get sand in their eyes?

Walter said:
They're building big shit for the sake of it. In New York, space was limited, since theyre on a fucking island, and it only makes sense to build up, not out. Dubai is in a fucking desert and are "innovating" just to appear a spectacle.

Dubai is building up AND out at the same time. They have the biggest mall, biggest man-made port which everyone knows that it will barely achievable within a small or limited space. So they expanding too outward, or anywhere they can and want. Basically they just want to dominate

Its like a humongous advertisment, I guess it is good enough to secure another Guiness World Record as the biggest advertisment on the planet.

That what rich people do? Don't they? :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Dubai is building up AND out at the same time. ... So they expanding too outward, or anywhere they can and want. Basically they just want to dominate
It really doesn't work like that. When a city is built in a confining space, it ups the property value because space comes at a premium. What's the incentive to NOT build out when you have virtually no limits on how far you build out? Building up will always be the more expensive and risky endeavor. From a business perspective (and unless the town is run by one dude, or one very strict and incorrigible design board, competitive businesses vying for space will always be a factor in city planning, especially with so many high-yield investments), it's just bad business to build anywhere but out. And what do you get when you have that much space to use up?

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/.Pictures/vistasaereas/MontondeCasitas.jpg

Imagine this ... with warehouses! Dubai will have the largest warehouse district IN THE WORLD! :ganishka:

This is, of course, all secondary to my main point: does Dubai have the public/international interest to support such growth? Anyone can spend millions to build a monument to engineering, but how long will people stick around to stare at it?

Walter said:
It really doesn't work like that. When a city is built in a confining space, it ups the property value because space comes at a premium. What's the incentive to NOT build out when you have virtually no limits on how far you build out? Building up will always be the more expensive and risky endeavor. From a business perspective (and unless the town is run by one dude, or one very strict and incorrigible design board, competitive businesses vying for space will always be a factor in city planning, especially with so many high-yield investments), it's just bad business to build anywhere but out. And what do you get when you have that much space to use up?

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/.Pictures/vistasaereas/MontondeCasitas.jpg

Imagine this ... with warehouses! Dubai will have the largest warehouse district IN THE WORLD! :ganishka:

This is, of course, all secondary to my main point: does Dubai have the public/international interest to support such growth? Anyone can spend millions to build a monument to engineering, but how long will people stick around to stare at it?

I don't know how you two can really question their development methods when Dubai is doing so well. I would think such criticism about countries that are making more obvious poor decisions and essentially shooting themselves in the foot. I know I can think of other certain countries that are more worthy for constructive criticism in one way or another. ;)

Dubai can afford to do this, are doing this and will continue to do this, even if it is just because they can. Not that I believe that they don't have long term economic and political strategies to how they are running the emirate. I'm just thinking If they were doing something wrong in regards to these particular issues I'm sure they would've figured it out by now.

One obvious plus is that tourism is going to continue skyrocketing because people want to see what's going on in such a place, myself included. Needless to say tourism is great for any economy. A big part of that is undoubtedly architecture style making up the city, giving a big part in the creation of a interesting and unconventional environment. That and all the record breaking attractions Smith acknowledged, shit like that will likely pay off from tourism alone. Besides don't you guys think if they didn't have enough uses for their vast amount of buildings so many buildings they're going to eventually say something like "Oh fuck, what are we going to do with all of these?" If that was the case, they would've stopped about 100 buildings ago started in recent times.

They might even have other reasons for having a more condensed vertical city. I don't know for sure, but maybe it works out for their particular resources. Even if they were going out of their way purely to be more pretentious and cool looking then so what? It's awesome to have places in the world that are doing it. Cities like Tokyo and Las Vegas probably doesn't need all the Neon and colours, but it's still fucking awesome. ;D

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
I would think such criticism about countries that are making more obvious poor decisions and essentially shooting themselves in the foot. I know I can think of other certain countries that are more worthy for constructive criticism in one way or another. ;)
You never skip an opportunity to shit on the USA, do you? :carcus: I can speak on this matter precisely BECAUSE I know how many areas of the USA fucked up on managing growth. The basic models of engineering a city are universally applicable.

I'm just thinking If they were doing something wrong in regards to these particular issues I'm sure they would've figured it out by now.
I dunno, being a reasonable human being, I'd like to think so as well. But you never know with plans of such "grandeur" as these. The Titanic seemed like a great idea at the time. So did the Hindenberg. And you know what else this all reminds me of? Soviet Russia's plan in the 1960s to irrigate a desert and grow corn where it normally wouldn't grow. Several experts at the time were certainly sure of themselves and their methods, and you'd think they would have figured out YOU CAN'T GROW CORN IN THE FUCKING DESERT. Nope. Guess how that worked out for them?

And that's what I keep coming back to, Dubai's dubious location. It sure is adventerous, what they're planning. But as far as a business venture, converting a place resembling Satan's backyard into a habitable, highly-desirable environment is a sink-or-swim affair.

One obvious plus is that tourism is going to continue skyrocketing because people want to see what's going on in such a place, myself included. Needless to say tourism is great for any economy. ... Besides don't you guys think if they didn't have enough uses for their vast amount of buildings so many buildings they're going to eventually say something like "Oh fuck, what are we going to do with all of these?"
Tourism is probably the most volatile export any country manufactures (outside of nuclear and chemical weaponry, for obvious reasons). But you're right, I'm sure there's a plan B for Dubai: the world's largest home of tech-support technicians! Think how many cubicles they could cram into these buildings... They could put India's tech-support industry out of business!

Walter said:
You never skip an opportunity to shit on the USA, do you? :carcus: I can speak on this matter precisely BECAUSE I know how many areas of the USA fucked up on managing growth. The basic models of engineering a city are universally applicable.

I can't help but think there are too many different economic, social and political factors to see it in that light. I can't elaborate too much because I admit a lot of it is beyond my understanding, but what do you believe is universally applicable?
And criticising the USA is soooo four years ago. I just might tiptoe here and there sometimes. ;D

I dunno, being a reasonable human being, I'd like to think so as well. But you never know with plans of such "grandeur" as these. The Titanic seemed like a great idea at the time. So did the Hindenberg. And you know what else this all reminds me of? Soviet Russia's plan in the 1960s to irrigate a desert and grow corn where it normally wouldn't grow. Several experts at the time were certainly sure of themselves and their methods, and you'd think they would have figured out YOU CAN'T GROW CORN IN THE FUCKING DESERT. Nope. Guess how that worked out for them?

Did that corn thing even last successfully for a few weeks? Dubai doesn't have a corn plan, it has a plentiful supply of revenues from oil and gas, in addition to other resources like gold and other minerals I think.
A big part of their economic expansion is because they're no longer relying on these natural resources as the only major source of growth anymore. Business organisations relating to the financial market, IT, Internet corporations, commerce and trade among others are doing well. Their currency is stable and their property values high. Not much suggests they're not on the right track.

And that's what I keep coming back to, Dubai's dubious location. It sure is adventerous, what they're planning. But as far as a business venture, converting a place resembling Satan's backyard into a habitable, highly-desirable environment is a sink-or-swim affair.
Tourism is probably the most volatile export any country manufactures (outside of nuclear and chemical weaponry, for obvious reasons). But you're right, I'm sure there's a plan B for Dubai: the world's largest home of tech-support technicians! Think how many cubicles they could cram into these buildings... They could put India's tech-support industry out of business!

Dubai's copious amounts of investments gives them a significant growing competitive advantage.
The rational worst case scenario from the building side of things, excluding the slight chance of a complete cataclysmic economic disaster or passing tsunami, is that they overestimate the expected growth with all their new buildings. They are forced to back off on construction of new buildings until things change, and they can probably afford to deal with that scenario.

CN Tower eclipsed by Dubai Tower

6bmqp8p.jpg

The CN Tower's 31-year run as the planet's tallest free-standing structure is finally over.

The Burj Dubai - a fast-rising skyscraper in the oil-rich United Arab Emirates - has officially surpassed Toronto's famous 553-metre landmark on its way to an expected final height of some 800 metres.

"The Burj Dubai tower has now reached 555.3 metres, and also scaled 150 livable levels, the largest number of storeys for any building in the world," the project's developer, Emaar Properties, announced Thursday.

"This architectural and construction masterpiece is truly an inspirational human achievement that celebrates the can-do mindset of Dubai," added Emaar's chairman Mohamed Alabbar. "Burj Dubai is setting new world records in construction of super-tall buildings, and the accomplishment of being the world's tallest free-standing structure is another defining moment for the multinational team of over 5,000 people who are using their collective intelligence to make this iconic structure a symbol of human achievement."

Earlier this year, the $1-billion vertical megaproject on the Persian Gulf shore topped the 508-metre Taipei 101 office tower, previously the world's tallest building.

Now, having toppled Canada's foremost architectural icon from its spot on top of the world, "the Burj" is expected to take its place as the tallest man-made object on Earth when it soars past a 629-metre, guy-wire-supported television tower in North Dakota.

Precisely how high the Burj Dubai will rise is being kept secret, although early plans showed it soaring to 808 metres.

Now that the CN Tower has finally been eclipsed, the Lake Ontario landmark could begin dropping rapidly down the rankings of man-made super-structures.

A host of other architectural giants around the world - in Russia, China, Indonesia, South Korea, Japan, Bahrain and the U.S. - have been proposed to shoot past the half-kilometre mark and, within a decade or two, make it tough for the Toronto tower to maintain a spot in the top 10.

Earlier this year, municipal officials in Illinois approved blueprints for the 609-metre Chicago Spire, a corkscrew-style mixed-use building overlooking Lake Michigan that would overshadow the city's famed Sears Tower and relegate the CN Tower to No. 2 in North America.

Even the Burj Dubai could be toppled from the world's-tallest title soon after its completion, set for June 2009. A second skyscraper just a few doors down along the Dubai waterfront - the Al-Burj - is designed to reach 1,200 metres.

That's twice the height of the CN Tower, and then some.

Developed with financial backing from the government of the oil-rich Gulf state, the Burj Dubai has been described as "a symbol of the city's pride and a statement of our arrival on the global scene" by Mohammed Ali Alabbar, chairman of the building's Dubai-based owner, Emaar Properties.

Dubai is one of the most lucrative tourism and real estate markets in the world. Part of the United Arab Emirates and located on the northern coast of the Arabian Peninsula, Dubai has developed plans for the world's first underwater hotel, a revolving indoor ski slope and a constellation of 250 man-made islands shaped and positioned to create a miniature version of the planet's major land masses.

Dubai has forecast growth in tourism to 15 million visitors by 2010.

Look like the last sentence in this article will provide clue as to why they are building so many "warehouses"

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Honestly, it looks like one of those flimsy Lego towers by some kid with no sense of structure and style, like he was just sticking more crap on and using all his Legos too make it taller, which I guess isn't far from the truth here. Are they going to randomly paint it blue, yellow, red, black, green, and white? =)

Top Bottom