E3 2008

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
"I think that Zelda is a franchise that does need some big new unique ideas," he said. "And so the team right now is very focused on trying to find those ideas."

Sounds good to me.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Bekul said:
Oh, I dunno about you, but I'd sure as heck count Megaman 9 as pretty hardcore. :)

I'm talking about what was highlighted in the conference, which was nothing but casual geared games such as wii-sports resort, wii-music and AC as well as Shaun White's Snowboarding.

If I was talking about what games I knew of in existence or playable at the show then I would definitely point out the Conduit, Madworld, and Call of Duty: World at War, so if they had been geared towards the core gamer audience then we'd of seen these games spotlighted a lot more.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, and GTA DS isn't what I'd call a casual game either. :serpico:

Sure, but when all someone does is mention a game in the span of one breath as Reggie did, and say , "Its coming" it's just a little unsatisfying don't you think? Besides I'll with hold judgement on this GTA until I see it, because otherwise it might just be crap that is hardcore only in the sense that the average Billy can't ask his mom for it, due to the violence. Somehow the title GTA Chinatown isn't very reassuring of it's quality.

From what Ive seen so far of the conference there are a lot of really good looking games that are coming out.

I think the real high lights for me have been Gears of War 2 which looks absolutely stunning and like a hell of a nice cocktail of adrenaline, guts and steroids.

Mirrors Edge also looks fanfreakingtastic simply because someone's trying to do something different with the FPS genre and looks to be pulling it off very well.

Little Big Planet is once again looking amazing in how creative you can be with it.

Im still waiting for some other games to be shown in more detail like Rage, WH40K Dawn of War 2, and some others that all look promising.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
it might just be crap that is hardcore only in the sense that the average Billy can't ask his mom for it, due to the violence.

Well that's like every teenager's definition of what is a "hardcore" game nowadays. It has to have BLOOD and VIOLENCE.

Guts' intestines said:
Somehow the title GTA Chinatown isn't very reassuring of it's quality.

Why?

Guts intestines

Aazealh said:
Well that's like every teenager's definition of what is a "hardcore" game nowadays. It has to have BLOOD and VIOLENCE.

True, but there is still a lot of people who consider hardcore games to be games that are actually and not just rely on shock factor.

Aazealh said:

This one is pretty self-explanatory, but basically it sounds gimmicky and I rather just have a port of GTA IV, though that is not too good of a proposition in and of itself.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
This one is pretty self-explanatory, but basically it sounds gimmicky and I rather just have a port of GTA IV, though that is not too good of a proposition in and of itself.

Why does it sound gimmicky? It's a spinoff, as expected considering where it comes from. It could never be a port of GTA IV, and really, that wouldn't be very reassuring.

In other news, a new Pikmin game is apparently in development (straight from Miyamoto's mouth).

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
Nobody's as excited about Animal Crossing as I am? That game controls my life for months at a time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SMZKAH said:
Nobody's as excited about Animal Crossing as I am? That game controls my life for months at a time.

I don't play it but I can understand that you're excited if you're a fan. :serpico:

oh and the reason that FF13 went to 360 in the US

http://kotaku.com/393195/square-enix-lose-money-need-more-greenbacks

so yeah, they sold out on that one
apparently final fantasy versus 13 is still PS3 exclusive....but thats the one I was least looking forward to (oh wow, a dark brooding teenager with androgynous looking friends....no thanks); plus theres that oft rumoured FF7 remake....which personally I don't care for, but that is a huge ace in the hole if it exists

also, God of War 3 :D

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Wait, E3 was on?

Anyway, the FXIII going to PC is bogus. It's being developed on PC, like all video games. And even if it is, does anyone really care?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Wait, E3 was on?

Anyway, the FXIII going to PC is bogus. It's being developed on PC, like all video games. And even if it is, does anyone really care?
Huh? I care. I don't own a next-gen system, but my PC fucking rocks. So, thanks Square, for giving me the option of not having to invest in a console just for one-two games.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I hadn't considered that angle.

Well, the more people playing it the better -- it'll be better for discussions!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
thesyndrome said:
oh and the reason that FF13 went to 360 in the US

http://kotaku.com/393195/square-enix-lose-money-need-more-greenbacks

so yeah, they sold out on that one

Sounds to me like you're grasping at straws here. I doubt their results really played a big role in that decision as opposed to the market's evolution for example, especially when you consider the fact that the profits actually went up for this quarter compared to the last. They're always after more money, like everyone else. Besides, it's not like Square Enix has an allegiance to Sony or anything.

thesyndrome said:
apparently final fantasy versus 13 is still PS3 exclusive....but thats the one I was least looking forward to (oh wow, a dark brooding teenager with androgynous looking friends....no thanks)

Haha well, isn't that every FF game since 7? :void:

Guts intestines

Yup gotta agree with Aazealh, Square Enix is a company who's goal is to make money like any other corporation or company, so it makes sense that they would bring their best franchise to the number to 1 software console in America, plus its not likely its not coming out for PS3 at all. Hell, it would probably come to wii if it wasn't for its weak specs and maybe due to motion control focus.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
Hell, it would probably come to wii if it wasn't for its weak specs and maybe due to motion control focus.

Yeah, you can bet on that. Let's not forget that DQIX's coming out on the NDS.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/896/896076p1.html
The designers also made a point to debunk the Internet rumor of Final Fantasy XIII coming to the PC, a rumor they claimed was made from a misunderstood comment from E3 this year. Nomura mentioned that he was trying to explain that he develops his games on a PC instead of indicating that Final Fantasy would be coming to a PC.
Oh well. Guess I'll be missing this game then.

Top Bottom