Episode 355

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
Come getcha preorders, y’all.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2207650?s_ssid=e458975aaeeecedcb0

Thanks! Snagged it. Definitely one of those issues where "just" the official digital edition won't be enough. Honestly haven't been this excited for an individual episode since ... well, I guess 303 after we got teased about SK/Femto — 9 years ago.

Is anyone else going to try to stay spoiler free until the whole thing is out? (join me you fools :ganishka: )

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Ohh the horror! The pre-orders are sold out already!! :judo: :judo:

Anyone know if friday there is gonna be more on cdjapan?

Ps: I'm trying my luck with a proxy shopping on cdjapan website. Might be able to get it after all. We'll see.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Welp. The text says it all!
She retained her memories.

Rough translation:

"Good to meet you, Farnese, Schierke, Ivalera. It seems Elaine was well taken care of."

jackson_hurley said:
Ohh the horror! The pre-orders are sold out already!! :judo: :judo:

Oh no! This would've been my first pre-order :judo: I suppose it's unsurprising that this'll probably the most-sold issue in a long while.

Walter said:
Thanks! Snagged it. Definitely one of those issues where "just" the official digital edition won't be enough. Honestly haven't been this excited for an individual episode since ... well, I guess 303 after we got teased about SK/Femto — 9 years ago.

Is anyone else going to try to stay spoiler free until the whole thing is out? (join me you fools :ganishka: )

I'm going to try my hardest Walter. :griffnotevil:

jackson_hurley

NCHaskew said:
Oh no! This would've been my first pre-order :judo: I suppose it's unsurprising that this'll probably the most-sold issue in a long while.

I' trying to get it somewhere else by them. I'm waiting for an answer from cdjapan. Sucks cause I had been able to get most of the dream sequence in the Young Animal being only able recently to order them. I should have stayed up longer yesterday. :mozgus:

Well, there seems to be copies again... but not sure yet. I passed the order in case.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
My God, she really remembers everything. She remembers being "Elaine."

Her demeanor is a real surprise for me, particularly given the thorned heart we saw. Anyway, this seemingly accelerates things for the group. The anticipated period where she learned about and came to terms with what happened during the past 3+ years won't be happening. We seem to already be there. So once again Miura manages to surprise me even though all the cards were on the table for us to read. :ubik:

I'm glad I've "only" spoiled this part of it (even though it's the critical piece!) because what I'm really holding out for is her scene with Guts.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, that's definitely interesting and pretty cool that we're getting right to it! Also, I'm amazed how different Casca looks now, it could just be the liveliness of her eyes but it makes her whole face look different. Also, Casca's first words in about two decades(!) and yet the lamest stuff pleases me: We can now semi-officially retroactively refer to Casca's broken phase as the "Elaine Era." Nice and clean.
:ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Also, Casca's first words in about two decades(!) and yet the lamest stuff pleases me: We can now semi-officially retroactively refer to Casca's broken phase as the "Elaine Era." Nice and clean.
:ganishka:

Yeah, it's funny because I haven't thought about her as "Elaine" since the Conviction Arc, and even then it was always just a placeholder. But it's true that Luka did bestow that identity to her, and it's convenient to refer to.

BTW, I didn't wait. :void:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I know it's so early to be talking about things like this considering we don't have the full episode, but if she remembers being Elaine, she most definitely remembers Guts' actions from volume 23. I've been worried about that for so long.

Gobolatula said:
I know it's so early to be talking about things like this considering we don't have the full episode, but if she remembers being Elaine, she most definitely remembers Guts' actions from volume 23. I've been worried about that for so long.

Indeed. But on the bright side, it means she also remembers everything else he did for her, and might be able to more properly contextualize things. She should know that was a terrible moment of weakness from someone who was terribly traumatized just like her, she should know Guts is not a monster, and she should know that he still did what he could to protect her afterward, even from himself. That event might warrant a confrontation, an uncomfortable conversation, or at least some uncomfortable distance and mixed feelings, but I don't expect her to be completely hostile to him either.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Archer1215 said:
maybe her memories and experience of the Eclipse simply haven't "sunken in" yet. This scene apparently takes place immediately after she wakes up after all.

Hmm, I don't think so since she refers to Elaine as an other, so she knows who she is, implying all that comes with it. It would be strange if the Eclipse memories were still locked away given all they just went through. But I dunno, maybe?

She should remember a lot of things. Including Guts' abandonment of her, everything to do with her child, and the part she played in the Incarnation Ceremony. But the sexual assault is actually something I've wanted wanted to be followed through on since the Corridor of Dreams section of the story began. I definitely expect it to come up in conversation between the two of them at some point, but I'm not entirely certain how significant of an impact it will have on their relationship. After all, they have quite a bit more to talk about than that single incident. But again, I do expect it to be brought up at some point.

So you're putting your foot down and saying her and Guts might have a few things to talk about, huh? :ganishka:

Archer1215 said:
Her brighter demeanor is definitely a bit surprising for me, but maybe her memories and experience of the Eclipse simply haven't "sunken in" yet. This scene apparently takes place immediately after she wakes up after all.

Yeah, I assumed with the thorny heart, she'd be a bit more...biting? But maybe it's her new coping mechanism. This could be her equivalent of Guts' more abrasive, seemingly-uncaring Black Swordsman period. That's my take on it--based on our one panel

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Archer1215 said:
It doesn't surprise me too terribly because I had always anticipated her retaining her memories in some form or another. But seeing her acknowledge those events is still really exciting to me. I can't believe this is really happening! Her brighter demeanor is definitely a bit surprising for me, but maybe her memories and experience of the Eclipse simply haven't "sunken in" yet. This scene apparently takes place immediately after she wakes up after all.
I was thinking that maybe Casca's calm demeanor was partially a side effect of the spores still, since they were there to instill a calming peaceful effect to aid sleep. This would mean that she would still have all her memories, but is still under the spores' effects to calm her, but may still have a different reaction after the effects wear off.

Thanks for the link Sareth, order placed. Last week I finally got my package for episode 354.

I'm with you Walter on staying spoiler-free ^_^. I'm gonna wait for Aaz's post with the summary and dive into reading the episode.

jackson_hurley

As much as I'd like to resist like some of you guys, I'm gonna visually suck up any spoilers thats come before! I'm not strong enough to resist these little previews. :ganishka:

All this tantalizing blacked-out text! How much is in this little leak? Is it like a random page from the middle with a bunch of panels of dialogue, or is it more like the episode's splash art or something along those lines? Depending on what all it gives away, I look now, or I may (try to) wait a few days longer.

Top Bottom