Episode 376

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BERSERK Episode 376 will be published in Young Animal #9-10, slated to be released on Friday, April 26. (Source)

DIGITAL STORE: Hakusensha-E (Price: 450円 / $3) — Goes online April 25 @ 12p ET.
PHYSICAL COPY: CDJapan (Price: ~$20 w/shipping)

This episode is part of the new serialization of Berserk that is being done without Kentarou Miura. It's based on some of the material he left behind as well as what he had told his close ones of the story over the years. Kouji Mori, his best friend and a fellow mangaka, writes and supervises the series while his former assistants draw it under the banner of Studio Gaga.

-----------------------------------------------------
Berserk Continuation Episode Summaries:

365: Griffith's presence is felt across the island. Casca runs toward Griffith but begins bleeding and triggering (random) memories.
366: Guts swings at Griffith but cannot land a hit. Schierke detects a maelstrom of power around Griffith. Zodd lands on the island.
367: Danan senses something dark rising from beneath the island. Griffith grabs Casca. The cherry tree loses its blossoms, and the island begins to break apart.
368: Gnawers emerge from the cracks, devouring the island. Roderick prepares the ship to depart. Guts despairs at the loss of Casca.
369: The island begins to sink. The elves vanish (except for Puck and Ivalera).
370: On the Sea Horse, Molda rallies Farnese to help heal the injured. Roderick is worried about Guts. In the ship's hold, Guts despairs his failure.
371: Schierke peeks in Guts' mind but is repelled by the Beast's jaws. Griffith arrives in Falconia with Casca.
372: Casca explores Falconia in a subdued state. Fleeting memories of her past provoke a failed escape attempt. Griffith sends his forces east.
373: Serpico says other magic users have begun to lose their powers. Schierke tries to locate Casca using a spell that requires everyone's concentration. During this, they are invaded by Kushan soldiers. Guts is taunted by the Beast.
374: Kushans, led by Silat, take over the Seahorse and bloodlessly capture everyone. They approach Guts with caution. Rickert is with the Kushans.
375: Silat captured the Sea Horse following a prophecy from Daiba. The passengers and crew are taken captive toward the Kushan capital.

-----------------------------------------------------

Our forum policy prohibits the posting of full episode scans. Read more about our decision here. Instead, you are encouraged to purchase the digital edition of Young Animal.

First time buying a digital Young Animal magazine?

Read Aazealh's guide, or watch Walter's video tutorial.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: This magazine is only in Japanese? I can't read Japanese, so why should I buy it?
A:
I can't read Japanese either. But if you want to follow along with the latest Berserk releases, getting this magazine is the only legal way to do it. Berserk's episodes run in these magazines months or years before they are collected into a volume. You can read our summaries on the forum and wait for our English text-based translations of each episode, available in a week or so after release.

Q: What do I need to set up an account on Hakusensha-E?
A:
A valid email address, a Chrome browser (or another browser with a built-in Japanese language translation), and a credit card. PayPal is not accepted at this time. Follow Aazealh's guide to learn more in-depth information on setting up an account.

Q: Purchasing requires my bank to do extra stuff because it's an international purchase. What do I do?
A:
This happens to many first-time customers to shops outside your country of origin. It's your bank flagging a new kind of transaction from a new country. To ensure that this transaction is valid, you may be asked for more information to verify your identity and your bank account. Afterward, this is an automatic process. If you have further questions, you can read VISA's guide on how this process works, or contact your bank.

I kinda read a rough translation of the episode. You're not ready for how BAD it is. This is easily the worst one so far. At least for me.

I kinda read a rough translation of the episode. You're not ready for how BAD it is. This is easily the worst one so far. At least for me.
How is that even possible considering how much time it took them :SK: (I know it's been ready and waiting for some time now to be published but still)

For the "real" episodes I never wanted to read spoilers or people discussing them because I preferred getting the "full" experience while reading it for the first time. Now I only want to know what bullet point they'll put this time in the episode so I don't really care about the reading experience anymore :judo:

Here's some of the worst things in the episode, just for fun

The first pages show Guts in the astral world, like when the Wave of the Astral World occoured, and Schierke just appears out of thin air and pulls him out of there. Guts wakes up in a cell, handcuffed, with his wrist bleeding. Later we find out that this is just the day after the group got captured, so I don't know how his wrist is bleeding only after a day in prison. Also, it's explained that they locked him up because he's dangerous, but Rickert says to Silat that capturing Guts was not part of "the plan". But then again, he's not wearing the armor, and we know what his condition is, so he's basically as defensless as he can be.

About Schierke's ritual: Ivalera says that "Schierk isn't used to do something so dangerous", and that she must've "gone too deep into the astral world." Daiba is inpressed by her magic, and then remembers what she did in Vritannis to his soldiers, and then just says that "it's all water under the bridge."

Daiba then says (IN FRONT OF THE GURUS) that he wants to take care of all the apprentices. And the Gurus... DON'T SAY ANYTHING. THEY JUST STARE AT THE VOID.

Silat finally explains how Roderick's ship ended up here: powerful waves (i.e.: the plot needs it). Daiba then says that this is all thanks to destiny, that they're all there for a reason, and that this is a blessing.

Rickert notices Puck, and reintroduces himself to him as the boy who worked for Godor. So, Puck forgot about him. That's why in the previous episode they didn't acknowledge each other. Then, Rickert remembers about Casca: "Weren't you supposed to take her to the island? And what's happened to Guts?" No one answers. He just thinks "Griffith must be behind all of this."

Silat finally reveals the big plan: gathering a big enough army to attack the Hawk of Light, whom is expanding his empire, and that his soldiers are now on the far West.
The end.

Last edited:

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Rickert notices Puck, and reintroduces himself to him as the boy who worked for Godor. So, Puck forgot about him. That's why in the previous episode they didn't acknowledge each other.

You have got to be shitting me. I've only just now bought the magazine from hakusensha, but I have no translation so I didn't understand that awkward stare between Puck and Rickert within the episode, but they seriously introduced themselves to each other?

Here's some of the worst things in the episode, just for fun

The first pages show Guts in the astral world, like when the Wave of the Astral World occoured, and Schierke just appears out of thin air and pulls him out of there. Guts wakes up in a cell, handcuffed, with his wrist bleeding. Later we find out that this is just the day after the group got captured, so I don't know how his wrist is bleeding only after a day in prison. Also, it's explained that they locked him up because he's dangerous, but Rickert says to Silat that capturing Guts was not part of "the plan". But then again, he's not wearing the armor, and we know what his condition is, so he's basically as defensless as he can be.

About Schierke's ritual: Ivalera says that "Schierk isn't used to do something so dangerous", and that she must've "gone too deep into the astral world." Daiba is inpressed by her magic, and then remembers what she did in Vritannis to his soldiers, and then just says that "it's all water under the bridge."

Daiba then says (IN FRONT OF THE GURUS) that he wants to take care of all the apprentices. And the Gurus... DON'T SAY ANYTHING. THEY JUST STARE AT THE VOID.

Silat finally explains how Roderick's ship ended up here: powerful waves (i.e.: the plot needs it). Daiba then says that this is all thanks to destiny, that they're all there for a reason, and that this is a blessing.

Rickert notices Puck, and reintroduces himself to him as the boy who worked for Godor. So, Puck forgot about him. That's why in the previous episode they didn't acknowledge each other. Then, Rickert remembers about Casca: "Weren't you supposed to take her to the island? And what's happened to Guts?" No one answers. He just thinks "Griffith must be behind all of this."

We finally get the dumbest explanation as to what happened on the island: "Your fear of the presence of evil beings beyond your comprehension... This is what lead to the eradication of the island!"

Silat finally reveals the big plan: gathering a big enough army to attack the Hawk of Light, whom is expanding his empire, and that his soldiers are now on the far West.
The end.
I'm all for criticizing the new episodes but you got like half of this wrong, including the "dumbest explanation of what happened to the island". Maybe it's best to wait until you can actually read something before making such declarations?

The continuation is basically what i expected when i thought about it realistically back then.

It feels disjointed and doesn’t really have an essence of Miura in terms of how its told. I have to give the team props for the art, even if it‘s not close to what we got, i would have gladly accepted a dip in quality through an increased involvement if it meant less worklod for Miura regarding the art, as the story was the main reason as to why it became my favorite in the first place.

It gets harder to differentiate between what Miura intended and what not, but the idea of the big ocean being this force that led Guts to Rickert through Causality would have been a great spectacle and another element for the theme regarding water.

I feel like the intended route with Guts was for him to receive such a mental blow through his encounter with Griffith and the Moonlight Boy reveal, that it leads to an even lower point than what we had seen before. A true sense of hopelesness before he gets back up again and does what he needs to do, but in this version he seems like a non existent character due to how this whole turmoil is presented. The potential of these ideas are tremendous, and with how the big plot points have moved, like Cascas abduction, Elfhelm sinking, Guts & Kushan alliance, all seem very exciting when thinking about how Miura would have done it, and that’s the only consolation this continuation brings me.

Regardless, i still hope they release Miuras memos one day

Last edited:
Ok, just giving my 2 cents based on a fast read.

The visual storytelling and art did improve in this episode.
I can read the pages more clearly and they seem to have more consistency on the artwork.

Unfortunately... The writing and the story in general is still bad.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Love those takes basically saying "I've been eating dog shit for a year but now they're putting salt and pepper on it, it's an improvement!"
Especially since I see them with every new release.

It gets harder to differentiate between what Miura intended and what not

Nothing shown in this episode is from Miura though? It's full-on fan fiction at this point.

the idea of the big ocean being this force that led Guts to Rickert through Causality would have been a great spectacle and another element for the theme regarding water.

What are you talking about... "The theme regarding water" is about the astral world. It's really quite specific and this just doesn't make sense.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well, the war was obviously coming but I never expected it to take form that way if it would have been done by Miura.

Well, hate me if you want, but I a enjoyed this episode. I believe it is their best one yet.

Yes, the continuation is crap. I am just enjoying the general direction of the story. The magic of the details is lost, but I can still appreciate learning about major plot points. The road between these major plot points is another story.

At the same time I must admit that this forum's negativity is exhausting. You are all too quick to condemn. For example, if Miura was alive you would be writing pages wondering what is the meaning behind seeing puck look so indifferent. Now you just judge the creators to be fools on a whim. Not saying that you will turn out to be incorrect, but at least give it some time first. Immediate and absolute negativity is tiresome.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well it makes sense to me to nag about it. Puck would not have acted like that cause nothing would have happened that way. Pretty simple.

I got about half way through this one, the dialogue was nauseating enough but then it hit me; I kinda just don't really care about what's happening. I just ended up skimming through the rest of the episode.

Dunno, might stop checking out new updates.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, hate me if you want, but I a enjoyed this episode. I believe it is their best one yet.

Yes, the continuation is crap. I am just enjoying the general direction of the story. The magic of the details is lost, but I can still appreciate learning about major plot points. The road between these major plot points is another story.

At the same time I must admit that this forum's negativity is exhausting. You are all too quick to condemn. For example, if Miura was alive you would be writing pages wondering what is the meaning behind seeing puck look so indifferent. Now you just judge the creators to be fools on a whim. Not saying that you will turn out to be incorrect, but at least give it some time first. Immediate and absolute negativity is tiresome.

No one hates you John, but you seem in denial. Hitting "major plot points" doesn't matter if they're a travesty of what they should be. Which they are, at least to anyone who cares about the story at all. Do you think we're happy about it? It's fucking heartbreaking to me. But I also can't lie to myself about it.

And I don't think there's grounds to talk about positivity or negativity here. Speaking for myself, I'm confident saying I'm one of the people who has most studied Berserk. I don't need to "give it time" to know Puck's lack of reaction makes no sense here, or the fact he's forgotten about Rickert. Or ten other things. It's elementary. And it will not (and cannot) be explained away, much like nothing else has been so far. This is the reality we live in now. We can each deal with it however we want to. For my part, I'm facing it as pragmatically as I can, but I'm also not willing to compromise on what Berserk was and what this project is doing to Kentarou Miura's legacy.

The art is looking better compared to when they started in most panels but what they are portraying is either nonsense or boring.
Why was Guts hit with another Wave of the Astral World at the beginning of the episode? This is so weird
The way Silat removes his mask, to me at least, gives the impression of when Griffith takes off his helmet ("I'm so pretty" :griffnotevil:) but it just doesn't make sense. Silat is not known for his beauty.
Btw, what is the white object supposed to be that's seen numerous times in panels focusing on Rickert? At first I thought Daiba's beard but it doesn't seem that way.
Speaking of Rickert - I think he got infected by Guts. Numerous panels of a shocked expression, at the best with a "..." speech bubble even. I'm sure Schierke, the only remaining magic user together with Daiba, will find a cure for him.:schierke:

Top Bottom