Episode 83

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
Why don't you just say "you owe it all to me, bow before me and my Italian superiority, you poor nazi fools"?
I wouldn't have given a shit either, but it would have been shorter.

Why are we even talking to this dork!

CnC

Ad Oculos
okaaay.... a number of points in this post:

1. Thanks Olivier, for the translation.

2. Man... that conversation is a page out of my philosophy on religion... really cool.

3. Dammit paradiselost, that annoyingly large picture of your stupid annoyingly large jewel clogged up my hotmail account, and made me not only have to through the annoyingly annoying task of deleting both yours and microshaft's "your account is too large" message.

4. This is one long thread.

5. Yes i know the word and words similar to "annoying" are in abundance in this thread. I don't care.

6. I need sleep

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Olivier wrote:
Also, I noticed that the "kami" kanji was "subbed" with another character, on page 7. I didn't know that, and I can"t read it. "Ware"? "Watashi"? Something else?
Ok, I'm a little late with this, but my eyes make out "ware" too. Making it "Ma no Idea (genkei)... sore ga ware (kami)" or "The Idea of evil... that is I."

It wouldn't really be used in the translation, but I like the idea of Idea being the "genkei" (= original form) of evil, although there's got to be a better way to translate it. I was thinking root or seed at first, but now I'm leaning more towards Genesis. =)

Ideas?

I like the idea of Idea being the "genkei" (= original form) of evil, although there's got to be a better way to translate it.
Well... "Idea" seems adequate, don't you think? ^_^;
Don't forget that "idea" isn't the _name_ of that god, but its nature. And if you go by the philosophical meaning of the word...

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Well... "Idea" seems adequate, don't you think? ^_^;
Don't forget that "idea" isn't the _name_ of that god, but its nature. And if you go by the philosophical meaning of the word...
I can see that. Sort of like "the very IDEA of Christianity" or something like that. Yes, I imagine Miura had a pretty good idea of what he was writing. (Just like his other uses of English words... Guts and Wild, for example.)

Either way, that's what the god says... Idea. I was searching for a more descriptive meaning, for my own amusement, really. ^_-

I can see that.  Sort of like "the very IDEA of Christianity" or something like that.  Yes, I imagine Miura had a pretty good idea of what he was writing.  (Just like his other uses of English words... Guts and Wild, for example.)
Er... Yeah, but like I said, I wasn't thinking of the "common" "idea" word, but of the Greek one (hence the pronounciation... check the kana), the philosophical one.
In the philosophy of Plato, an archetype of which a corresponding being in phenomenal reality is an imperfect replica.
The Allegory of the Cave and the Divided Line: Far and away the most influential passage in Western philosophy ever written is Plato's discussion of the prisoners of the cave and his abstract presentation of the divided line. For Plato, human beings live in a world of visible and intelligible things. The visible world is what surrounds us: what we see, what we hear, what we experience; this visible world is a world of change and uncertainty. The intelligible world is made up of the unchanging products of human reason: anything arising from reason alone, such as abstract definitions or mathematics, makes up this intelligible world, which is the world of reality. The intelligible world contains the eternal "Forms" (in Greek, idea ) of things; the visible world is the imperfect and changing manifestation in this world of these unchanging forms. For example, the "Form" or "Idea" of a horse is intelligible, abstract, and applies to all horses; this Form never changes, even though horses vary wildly among themselves—the Form of a horse would never change even if every horse in the world were to vanish. An individual horse is a physical, changing object that can easily cease to be a horse (if, for instance, it's dropped out of a fifty story building); the Form of a horse, or "horseness," never changes. As a physical object, a horse only makes sense in that it can be referred to the "Form" or "Idea" of horseness.

Either way, that's what the god says... Idea.  I was searching for a more descriptive meaning, for my own amusement, really. ^_-
That's one of the interests of Japanese language: they can use the word, and translate it at the same time. ^^

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Ahh!

You know, Idea takes on a whole new form when looking at it with Platonian philosophy...

Having Idea as the "Form" of evil, a product of human reasoning as to what makes something evil, makes a lot of sense...

If this is truly the allegory that Miura was trying to employ, I don't think we'll see any climactic "destruction of Idea" resolution as some people have suggested. The only thing that would change the very source and Form of evil, would be if the people of the world all suddenly changed their definitions. And I don't see that happening, really.

*wonders if this has been discussed before or not... and decides to move this to Speculation if it actually gets replies*

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
Er... Yeah, but like I said, I wasn't thinking of the "common" "idea" word, but of the Greek one (hence the pronounciation... check the kana), the philosophical one.

That's one of the interests of Japanese language: they can use the word, and translate it at the same time. ^^

Ah...

I thought "ah" was a fairly common expression of understanding and not too language specific. If you look at it as a short "a" sound then I can understand the confusion. Oh well. :D

Re: Episode 83

I thought "ah" was a fairly common expression of understanding and not too language specific.
Well, maybe that's just me, but I think it can also mean "if you say so..." while actually thinking "yeah, right... I'll check myself". ^_^;

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
blast.png

Darok

Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
interesting. okee. read the whole damned thread. Where do I get chapter 83 then?has anything changed? are they available for cheaper? any of you have scans?

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Darok said:
interesting. okee. read the whole damned thread. Where do I get chapter 83 then?has anything changed? are they available for cheaper? any of you have scans?

You should have it already, someone here was so nice to post a link to the scans for you in that thread you made. Remember?

Top Bottom