Guts' chance of survival

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
He has already resisted the temptations of revenge, he is no longer interested in pissing contests between monsters. The beast has already said thay he will bide his time until the right moment- and without the beast, Guts is his perfect self. He's matured a lot since his quest for revenge.

Gangstap has a point though. Guts has been making efforts but he still wants his revenge. And even if he has the possibility to start a new life, sooner or later that'll be an issue. Besides, let's be honest here, we all know he's not just going to turn his back on his past and live a quiet life.

Walter said:
Only incidentally. He just happened to be near Griffith at the time of Silat's covert ops. assassination mission. And I wouldn't qualify that as "the war" anyway. What happened at Albion was totally independent from the Kushan/Allied conflict.

Well when he fled Albion with Casca he did come across a very large Kushan force (at the very end of volume 21), but that's about as relevant as being in Vritannis next to the Holy See alliance's troops. Sure, he was not far from the conflict and had some skirmishes with the Kushans, but he didn't actually fight in the war on one side or the other.

Ramen4ever said:
What if Guts consciousness was magically integrated into an object.. say an armor. The result would be Guts becoming a lot like the Skullknight. Not the ideal way for Guts to "survive" but if it's his branded body that the Vortex of Souls is after then this could be one solution.

The Vortex of Souls doesn't care for people's corporeal bodies (I refer you to its name). Why do you think the body of an apostle reverts after his or her death? It's because their corrupted soul is taken away, and it's their soul that's imbued with evil when they become an apostle. The body is left as an empty shell, like for anyone else. The astral impacts the material, don't forget that. And it's the same for the Brand. It goes beyond a mere mark on one's body (otherwise it'd be devoid of importance honestly).

Gangstap said:
There is so much foreshadowing going on here... most of which is quite depressing...

I don't think it's all that depressing... See what Shadax said.

I'll have to agree with Shadax on this one. I think the reason that makes Guts such a special individual is the fact he is able to survive even though fate itself is against him. You can see this in the earlier episodes of Berserk as well when he is overcoming impossible odds. Even though he has suffered greatly and been through terrible things bound imagine he is still able to press on, and that is what I think Berserk is really about. It's not about him losing all hope and utterly being defeated and losing everything at the end its about pressing on despite those things.

I do wonder though, if Guts will end up losing his physical body etc, like the armor is now taking away his senses but still will be able to remain a "good" soul or one that is untainted of the evil or influence of the apostles, Godhand, etc. Similar to how Skull Knight currently is. He may have lost almost everything in the physical world but he is still able to retain his own will and soul.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
EndlessSky said:
I think the reason that makes Guts such a special individual is the fact he is able to survive even though fate itself is against him.

I don't think it's correct to say that "Fate" itself is against Guts since nothing indicates that "Fate" exists as a sentient force in Berserk. The closest we can come to it is the way the Idea of Evil manipulates the principle of causality to achieve its ends.

EndlessSky said:
I do wonder though, if Guts will end up losing his physical body etc, like the armor is now taking away his senses but still will be able to remain a "good" soul or one that is untainted of the evil or influence of the apostles, Godhand, etc. Similar to how Skull Knight currently is. He may have lost almost everything in the physical world but he is still able to retain his own will and soul.

I don't think it will come to that. What makes Guts so interesting is that he's still human, mentally and physically.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I don't think it will come to that. What makes Guts so interesting is that he's still human, mentally and physically.
Yeah, I was wondering the other day if Guts' prowess on the battlefield makes apostles a little remorseful that they had to sacrifice a part of themselves to gain his kind of strength.

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Some of the questions and speculations i wonder if Miura even has the answer yet. I always wonder if he has the whole series finished in his head already, or if he is just sitting down pooing or sleeping in bed and wakes up at 3AM and goes OH! that's a great idea for episode 325 (when we just read 300).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SlimJ87D said:
Some of the questions and speculations i wonder if Miura even has the answer yet. I always wonder if he has the whole series finished in his head already, or if he is just sitting down pooing or sleeping in bed and wakes up at 3AM and goes OH! that's a great idea for episode 325 (when we just read 300).

I think he's got most of the general stuff laid down already (what's going to happen when they reach Elfhelm, what's going to happen once Griffith becomes king, how the story will progress after that, etc.). Maybe even the way the story will end. But for the more detailed progression, he's probably only got several volumes planned at a time. That's the sort of thing he works on during the breaks, along with new designs for characters, creatures and the like. He's said in the past (Illustrations File interview) that he plans everything (storyboards and dialogue) in advance during breaks and dedicates the actual regular two weeks he's allocated only drawing.

That's how I imagine it. So I think it's perfectly possible that he'd get an idea for something in episode 325 today.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Well, i'd like to think that Guts' chances for survival are pretty good, considering the afore mentioned hints of a somewhat happy ending to the series. Furthermore, i think that Guts will retain his physical body but i do think that there's a possibility that he'll come across certain chances to improve his physical shape.

Right now its plainly obvious that the last couple of fights have taken a rather huge toll on his body and if he continues to fight the way he's used to (with or without the Armor), he'll soon reach the limit of his powers, considering that he probably won't have too many opportunities to heal his wounds again.
Bluntly speaking, i don't think that he's able to take on the majority of the enemies that he's facing at the moment without the aid of the Armor. And it's almost guaranteed that it will wear his body and mind down to the point of no return, whatever implications that may hold.

So, what i'm suggesting is that there may be a chance for him to get his body restored to some degree. Maybe there's a way to take off the damage that was done to him in the past. Maybe he could get his body restored to the way it was a couple of months or years ago. I don't think such a scenario should necessarily include the damage that was done to him during or before Femtos "birth". Mind you, i'm only talking about physical damage here, not mental damage. Hence, there may be no wondrous cure for Cascas situation.

On the other hand, considering that Guts will continue to use the Armor, i could think of a way for him to aquire some sort of "healing factor". Something that would almost instantly heal up minor damage but will be less effective against broken bones for instance. Also, this shouldn't include miracle healings, like regrowing limbs or somesuch. Also, i'm not thinking of something extreme, like we can see in other popular examples, like Manji from "Blade of the Immortal" or even Wolverine from the X-Men. It should be something to help him deal with some of the accumulated damage but it should definitely not be something too reliable.

Of course, those are just a couple of scenarios i've been thinking about for a while. I'm not suggesting that they have to be probable or that there's any sign of evidence for them. I was just thinking that lately Guts was showing an alarming awareness to the fact that the things he has already lost will probably never be restored/healed, that some things can never be undone even with the help of all his gadgets and friends. This was all to obvious during that incident on the sea, when he tried to save Casca.
I'm all for the notion that Guts should remain human, mentally and physically but at the same time there's also that impression welling up inside me that he's going to need something more than what we have already seen so far.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
SimplyEd said:
Well, i'd like to think that Guts' chances for survival are pretty good, considering the afore mentioned hints of a somewhat happy ending to the series. Furthermore, i think that Guts will retain his physical body but i do think that there's a possibility that he'll come across certain chances to improve his physical shape.

Right now its plainly obvious that the last couple of fights have taken a rather huge toll on his body and if he continues to fight the way he's used to (with or without the Armor), he'll soon reach the limit of his powers, considering that he probably won't have too many opportunities to heal his wounds again.
Bluntly speaking, i don't think that he's able to take on the majority of the enemies that he's facing at the moment without the aid of the Armor. And it's almost guaranteed that it will wear his body and mind down to the point of no return, whatever implications that may hold.

So, what i'm suggesting is that there may be a chance for him to get his body restored to some degree. Maybe there's a way to take off the damage that was done to him in the past. Maybe he could get his body restored to the way it was a couple of months or years ago. I don't think such a scenario should necessarily include the damage that was done to him during or before Femtos "birth". Mind you, i'm only talking about physical damage here, not mental damage. Hence, there may be no wondrous cure for Cascas situation.

On the other hand, considering that Guts will continue to use the Armor, i could think of a way for him to aquire some sort of "healing factor". Something that would almost instantly heal up minor damage but will be less effective against broken bones for instance. Also, this shouldn't include miracle healings, like regrowing limbs or somesuch. Also, i'm not thinking of something extreme, like we can see in other popular examples, like Manji from "Blade of the Immortal" or even Wolverine from the X-Men. It should be something to help him deal with some of the accumulated damage but it should definitely not be something too reliable.

Of course, those are just a couple of scenarios i've been thinking about for a while. I'm not suggesting that they have to be probable or that there's any sign of evidence for them. I was just thinking that lately Guts was showing an alarming awareness to the fact that the things he has already lost will probably never be restored/healed, that some things can never be undone even with the help of all his gadgets and friends. This was all to obvious during that incident on the sea, when he tried to save Casca.
I'm all for the notion that Guts should remain human, mentally and physically but at the same time there's also that impression welling up inside me that he's going to need something more than what we have already seen so far.
In a way he kind of already has that in the form of Puck's and Everalla's dust. I am just curious how things are going to be during and after they arrive in Elfhelm. I am guessing that while they are there, time is going to move much faster. So stay there a couple of month's for Gut's and Co to heal up do what ever, then a year or so will go by.. I know that was a bit off topic and to get back on topic I don't think he or his group will get any special type of healing thing whether it be magical or medicine like.

He will just survive by his iron will and gut's (no pun intended!) and get through to the series. I base this off the fact that if Shreike had been with Flora for a while, I am sure she would have taught her or mentioned something of a healitive spell or a rumor of during her time.

1cyberninja1

Guts might survive dangers thanks to the berserker armor, but at what cost? Is he going to end up just like Skull Knight? That's anybody's guess, but one thing is for sure, I can't wait to find out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
Mind you, i'm only talking about physical damage here, not mental damage. Hence, there may be no wondrous cure for Cascas situation.

Right now, finding a cure for Casca's ailment seems as likely if not more than finding a way to bring Guts' body back to what it was before his encounter with Slan in the Qliphoth. I agree with you that Guts will retain his physical shape and that he may find a way to improve his health or at least to reduce the side-effects of the Berserk's armor, but Casca's comeback is overdue and has been directly hinted at by the Skull Knight. Personally I can't conceive that it would just not happen.

SimplyEd said:
On the other hand, considering that Guts will continue to use the Armor

Hmm, are we absolutely sure that he will? :carcus:

SimplyEd said:
i could think of a way for him to aquire some sort of "healing factor". Something that would almost instantly heal up minor damage but will be less effective against broken bones for instance. Also, this shouldn't include miracle healings, like regrowing limbs or somesuch. Also, i'm not thinking of something extreme, like we can see in other popular examples, like Manji from "Blade of the Immortal" or even Wolverine from the X-Men. It should be something to help him deal with some of the accumulated damage but it should definitely not be something too reliable.

I don't see the need for this. Like saiya said, the elves already provide a more potent healing than what you're describing.

SimplyEd said:

I think it's pretty clear that he can't go on like that. As for how he could keep going... Elfhelm holds the answer.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I base this off the fact that if Schierke had been with Flora for a while, I am sure she would have taught her or mentioned something of a healitive spell or a rumor of during her time.

Well Schierke didn't remember Hanafubuku Oh before SK mentioned him, and if he's able to cure Casca, he might be able to help in other ways as well (besides he's also not alone in Elfhelm).

Top Bottom