How to buy the digital edition of Young Animal online

Hello Skullknight.net, and thank you, Aazealh, for the guide. I used it in the past and it helped a lot.

However today, when I bought another Berserk volume, I got a problem.
I used the "book-in-the-box" program, but apparently I cannot anymore, as it looks like the website switched the program to "白泉社e-net!本棚". I must've missed when it happened, now they use their own program, v1.0.3 as of me writing this. It now uses the same login/password as the website.

Now the only way to download the volumes is through this new program:
13jhiphvI.png

But when I click the link and choose the program, it gives me this error message:
13jhiphvJ.png

This happens with all my volumes now.

I did some rough character drawing in Google Translate, and it seems to say something like "Please confirm the purchased book in your account". I have no idea what that means, and I didn't have to do this with "book-in-the-box". I can still read old volumes in the old program just fine. I made further semi-blind attempts at checking what i can do inside the new program/on the website, but to no results.

This part of their guide seems related:
13jhiphvK.png

(https://www.hakusensha-e.net/guide)
But what exactly does it say? I cannot use volumes already downloaded with "book-in-the-box"? That's not right, I cannot open a newly purchased volume either. Or do I have to uninstall "book-in-the-box" to use "白泉社e-net!本棚"?

I know I can just read it in the online reader, but this bugs me a lot. Can you please help me? I don't actually know Japanese. Do any of you have this problem too?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Esper. I only use the online reader myself these days so I'll need to check this out in detail, but I don't think it's a serious problem.

EDIT: Well I just checked. I installed the new program, I put in my ID and password, and my volumes and YAs appeared right away. I downloaded a volume directly from inside the app and it took maybe 20 seconds. Can open and browse it at will, it's a breeze (very nice viewer too, much better than Book in the Box).

Can you detail your experience with the software installation? You get an error after entering your ID and password? Are you 100% sure they are correct? Please verify it. Also, I would indeed recommend you to uninstall Book in the Box in case it incorporates a DRM that interferes with the new app.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Esper, I'm in the same boat as you are. New software installed, but it won't recognize my library, despite the library being fine on the website side of things.

I tried various solutions, but still came up short. I think Hakusensha is having issues connecting the new app with user account libraries. I'll check back in with it in a few weeks.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I tested with a new account, and it works. Going to contact Hakusensha to resolve. This should be fun!

Thank you for all the replies!

Aazealh said:
(...) Can you detail your experience with the software installation? (...)

So I reinstalled the software after deleting "book-in-the-box", and here's the whole process, sort of as a guide (that leads to an error?). Well, it shows my thought process. If I'm wrong at something, please correct me:

13jhiphyM.png

Confirmation screen, "this will install 白泉社e-net!本棚" and legality, i guess. (N) for Next.

13jhiphyN.png

Default installation path. (E) for all users, (M) for only this user. I tried both, right now I use all users.

13jhiphyO.png

Again, confirmation screen.

13jhiphyP.png

And after several finished progress bars, it shows this. (C) to close.

Aazealh said:
You get an error after entering your ID and password? Are you 100% sure they are correct? Please verify it.

No, I get no error at login stage. Here's the process:
13jhiphyQ.png

I enter my email and password, the same as for the website, I checked again just in case. Checkmarks to remember. Lower link is "forgot your password".

13jhiphyR.png

And this is what it opens to. A frame for sorted books. Top right button directs you to the website.
So after logging in I click the refresh button on top left.

13jhiphyS.png

It says something like "it may take a while to load your collection".

13jhiphyT.png

Then it goes "sync complete" and nothing. Absolutely nothing new.

13jhiphyU.png

There's this menu, but i don't think it'll help. Second option is logout, and the last two are software info, that's all I understood.

13jhiphyV.png

So here I go from the website side again, and again the same thing.

That's all.

Walter said:
Esper, I'm in the same boat as you are. (...)
RaffoBaffo said:
I have the same issue, since forever.

So I am not the only one, whew. Still, the problem remains. Sorry this is like a tech support question, but everything Hakusensha-related is strictly Japanese.

Walter said:
(...) I think Hakusensha is having issues connecting the new app with user account libraries. I'll check back in with it in a few weeks.
Well, looks like I'm doing this too now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah sorry I hadn't updated my post but since Walter had the same issue he tested a variety of approaches and we determined it must be account-related and not software-related. I can't explain it but for some reason the accounts just don't sync like they should. Please let us know if you get an answer from Hakusensha.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, good news folks.

Hakusensha got back to me (in English!) and they had a solution that worked. The username (email) that you log in with is case sensitive when you use the new software, though the website login is more flexible. I was able to login and access my library with Walter@email.com instead of walter@email.com.

Give it a shot if you are having trouble.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Hakusensha got back to me (in English!) and they had a solution that worked. The username (email) that you log in with is case sensitive when you use the new software, though the website login is more flexible. I was able to login and access my library with Walter@email.com instead of walter@email.com.

Shame on you guys for capitalizing your email addresses. :iva:
More seriously, it's good that the solution ended up being so simple.

Walter said:
Alright, good news folks.

Give it a shot if you are having trouble.

So it's been a week and I checked back, didn't change anything myself and it works!
Alright, I'm guessing they fixed it/made it flexible after you talked to them, it now works like a charm! Thank you! :ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Esper said:
So it's been a week and I checked back, didn't change anything myself and it works!
Alright, I'm guessing they fixed it/made it flexible after you talked to them, it now works like a charm! Thank you! :ubik:

Awesome, I was hoping yours would be resolved too.

Sixtopia

Elf Dimension Style!
Does anyone know how long it typically takes for new volumes to be available digitally? I've been looking to purchase the episodes that were released after volume 38, though only the most recent few issues of Young Animal are available to purchase on this website. Considering volume 39 was released a few weeks back in Japan, I'm hoping I'll soon be able to buy this digitally. Also, thank you Aaz for making this guide. It really helped me figure out how to buy the Young Animal issue with episode 351!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sixtopia said:
Does anyone know how long it typically takes for new volumes to be available digitally? I've been looking to purchase the episodes that were released after volume 38, though only the most recent few issues of Young Animal are available to purchase on this website. Considering volume 39 was released a few weeks back in Japan, I'm hoping I'll soon be able to buy this digitally. Also, thank you Aaz for making this guide. It really helped me figure out how to buy the Young Animal issue with episode 351!

They only make the last few issues of the magazines available for purchase at any given time, so basically you have to get them when they're out because once they're gone, they're gone (however you do keep those you've bought indefinitely). For the volumes it's a bit more complicated. Hakusensha is trying to spare its print business despite having a digital store, so the releases are always delayed and there's no guarantees for its availability that I'm aware of. Could be next week, could be in six months.

Personally I buy the physical volumes from cdjapan.co.jp. It's cheap, fast and reliable.

Sixtopia

Elf Dimension Style!
Aazealh said:
They only make the last few issues of the magazines available for purchase at any given time, so basically you have to get them when they're out because once they're gone, they're gone (however you do keep those you've bought indefinitely). For the volumes it's a bit more complicated. Hakusensha is trying to spare its print business despite having a digital store, so the releases are always delayed and there's no guarantees for its availability that I'm aware of. Could be next week, could be in six months.

Personally I buy the physical volumes from cdjapan.co.jp. It's cheap, fast and reliable.

Gotcha, I may just buy volume 39 from CDJapan then. I'm figuring the Dark Horse version will be out this winter the earliest so that's my best bet. I've used CDJapan before for other things so I trust them. Also it's strange that it's cheaper to import the volume from Japan, including shipping, than buying the English volumes here.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Sixtopia said:
Gotcha, I may just buy volume 39 from CDJapan then. I'm figuring the Dark Horse version will be out this winter the earliest so that's my best bet. I've used CDJapan before for other things so I trust them. Also it's strange that it's cheaper to import the volume from Japan, including shipping, than buying the English volumes here.

I would not be surprised to see volume 39 in english only in the summer of 2018. From what I've observe the volumes tend to come out in english a year after the japanese release. It'd be fun to get it earlier then that but I would not put my hopes up.

Sixtopia

Elf Dimension Style!
Kaladin said:
Volume 39 is coming out digitally on the 21st according to Amazon's kindle store and Bookwalker.

Can you provide links to back this up? I could not find Berserk on Bookwalker and IIRC Berserk is definitely not on Kindle.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sixtopia said:
Can you provide links to back this up? I could not find Berserk on Bookwalker and IIRC Berserk is definitely not on Kindle.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%99%E3%83%AB%E3%82%BB%E3%83%AB%E3%82%AF-39-%E3%83%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0%E3%82%A2%E3%83%8B%E3%83%9E%E3%83%AB%E3%82%B3%E3%83%9F%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-%E4%B8%89%E6%B5%A6%E5%BB%BA%E5%A4%AA%E9%83%8E-ebook/dp/B073VDTZZM/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1500252613&sr=8-1

Sixtopia

Elf Dimension Style!
Walter said:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%99%E3%83%AB%E3%82%BB%E3%83%AB%E3%82%AF-39-%E3%83%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0%E3%82%A2%E3%83%8B%E3%83%9E%E3%83%AB%E3%82%B3%E3%83%9F%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-%E4%B8%89%E6%B5%A6%E5%BB%BA%E5%A4%AA%E9%83%8E-ebook/dp/B073VDTZZM/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1500252613&sr=8-1

I completely forgot to check the Japanese store. Thank you.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Does the digital Issue release the same day as the newsstand(In the case of the upcoming release Dec. 22nd)? Or is there an expected delay for the digital issue?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.hakusensha-e.net/store/product/2830XXXXyanimal01909 This shows the release delivery date as "2019/4/25" ... is this some kind of weird way to say it comes out 26th? Physical copies everywhere seem to say April 26, 2019 like this: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2351706?s_ssid=e33bc75cb81b452947 ?

Sometimes these release date things feel like boinkers... I don't suppose you could get it today yet?

Good question. I guess we'll know soon enough...

Top Bottom