Killer 7

I just purchased Killer 7 for the PS2 a few days ago at less than 20 bucks, and my gods, if I had known how awesome this game would be, I would have gladly paid the full 50 when it was first released.

Not sure if anyone else has played this game here but wow, aside from some poor loading times on the PS2, the game is awesome to look at, listen to, and play. Not to mention its got one of the crazier but better stories I've played in a video game in years. Yeah that's right, better than all those Final Fantasy's, Xenosaga's, and what have you.

Not even sure what to talk about but I figure I'd make this thread to hear what other people have to say or might want to discuss.

Well the game is an adventure game at heart and obviously the focus was the story and its presentation. It was actually supposed to have an even more in depth story with more focus on the members of the Killer 7 themselves but Suda 51 ran out of time in development.

As to the gameplay, again this is an adventure game, and while not in the same vein as games like Myst or Sam and Max, its still the same idea. Explore large enviroments looking for clues, items, and so forth to move further on in the game (actually this is an idea used in a ton of games now but because of the limited FPS system it seems to be more similar to older titles). I myself actually really enjoy the gameplay on the rails. I know some wont and find it restrictive but its a neat idea that forces you to rely on building up your characters, knowing who to choose for what enemy or challenge, and having a good aim and quick reflexes since you cant move out of the way of enemies and running away physically doesnt work a lot, not to mention only a few characters have escape skills.

The story is probably the best part (though the visuals are as crazy, random, and cool as well) of the game with tons of stuff from the excellent if totally out their and confusing main plot(s) to all the cultural stuff like a group of power rangeresque guys, a ton of historical info and implications, and all manner of weird characters. Oh and dont worry, I've spoiled nothing as this will not make any sense to you the first time you experience and maybe not even following times.

The game is just so cooky, if it were a movie it'd be like David Lynch, Takashi Miike, and Quentin Tarantino all worked on the same project. Oh and the music rocks especially the crazy Rave song,"Rave On" played before the colissium.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Thanks for the heads up Stallion! After it got mediocre reviews I was gonna be quick to write this one off. Maybe since you rcommended it I'll give it a try.

I should also note a few other things.

THIS IS A MATURE GAME! This is mature like Seven was mature. This isnt just given the rating because of violence like in most games. There are some very very suggestive scenes involving sex, there's cursing, and a ton of violence, if stylized. However the difference between this game and most is that the violence is malicious, disturbing, unremorseful, and so forth. I think you get the point but the violence and adult subject matter actually is part of the story and characters as its often used to express something word's might not be able to do so, and is often used very well and in context. Its just a very serious game and the humor that is there, is rather dark.

Second thing was, dont play the normal setting for this game. I know what some might be saying, but choose the harder setting as normal is more like easy. There are tons and tons of extra hints and the enemies are pretty easy as you almost always know how to kill them, not to mention you get so much blood you'll max your characters out before the half way point in the game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I wonder if anyone has actually played Killer 7 here? It didnt sell well at all so I wouldnt doubt that no one has really played it.
I'd planned to play it before it got extremely mixed reviews. The cons of the game being the rail system and repetitive gameplay turned me off. So, I guess I'm a bit of a cad for not playing it myself. But after your review, I'll definitely rent it this weekend for the GC.

Yeah I'd definatly say get it for the GC as load times that are nearly non existant in the GC version that are rather noticable and slightly annoying in the PS2 version. Not really horrible but they are there, not to mention the graphics are a little better in the GC version.

The rail system pretty much stream lines the game, but its by no means short, its about a 15 to 20 hour game. You just arent wandering around rooms aimlessly clicking on anything and everything. However again, play the more difficult mode as the normal mode is like easy, you wont have much trouble at all on that difficulty.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
All I can say is that reviews are completely worthless. Well, that's not completely true; here's my jist on it. They help people decide what not to spend $50's on. Maybe it's just me, but I've played many games and can't say that I haven't at least enjoyed a bit of each one, usually disagreeing with the reviewers in the process. Granted the cheaper prices make some games more prone to being called "good" in my book. Anyway, that's just a simple dorks opinion. My friend picked up Killer 7 when it came out and I thought it was pretty fun and interesting indeed. I do recommend it to everyone. At least give it a rental. You'll be surprised..

I just wish games didn't come out at mach speed. I kind of miss the old days of walking into a store looking for the "new game" that I read about in the magazine. Not the "new 1,000 games" this week. Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior), Chrono Trigger, and so on down the line :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
About reviews and reviewers, some stuff can be sad at times... Random example from IGN's hands-on for Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, about the enemies:

We're betting they're going to get rather odd, though. We've already managed to fight some sort of giant chicken creature that can turn you into stone, and being as we've already met the requisite skeletons and such, we're betting the sorts of enemies we run into is going to get weirder and weirder.

Well, that weird giant chicken is called a cockatrice guys, and it's a variation of the basilisk. Famous and classical mythological monster, that appeared in quite a bit of games before, including previous Castlevania games. Anybody with a minimum of folktales culture would know about it anyway.

Check their review of the DooM movie too, they give it 3 stars out of 5. Guess I ought to watch it after all. :badbone:

I'm low on money but I'm incredibly tempted to buy Shadow of the Colossus, though I think I will have to wait on that as I literally dont have any money to spend on a 50 dollar game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I'm low on money but I'm incredibly tempted to buy Shadow of the Colossus, though I think I will have to wait on that as I literally dont have any money to spend on a 50 dollar game.
Are you shitting me?! BUY IT NOW! I've been waiting for that for years...

Now i need to buy a PS2 =(

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
HawaiianStallion said:
THIS IS A MATURE GAME! This is mature like Seven was mature. This isnt just given the rating because of violence like in most games. There are some very very suggestive scenes involving sex, there's cursing, and a ton of violence, if stylized. However the difference between this game and most is that the violence is malicious, disturbing, unremorseful, and so forth. I think you get the point but the violence and adult subject matter actually is part of the story and characters as its often used to express something word's might not be able to do so, and is often used very well and in context. Its just a very serious game and the humor that is there, is rather dark.
Am I the only one who sees the redundancy of this remark on a Berserk forum?
Just playin' with you.

Anyway, I've found lots of games that I love despite their atrocious reviews, namely Gungrave. I may just try this one out. Unfortunately, I'm on a console game diet to prevent the otherwise inevitable plunge of my grades in college.

Vaxillus said:
Am I the only one who sees the redundancy of this remark on a Berserk forum?
Just playin' with you.

Anyway, I've found lots of games that I love despite their atrocious reviews, namely Gungrave.  I may just try this one out.  Unfortunately, I'm on a console game diet to prevent the otherwise inevitable plunge of my grades in college.

Yeah I know but I just felt I should say that in case anyone has any little siblings or whoever that might play it.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Shadow of the Colossus is going to be EPIC!
Despite mediocre reviews I will be picking up Castlevania Nov. !st
(If it got horrible reviews I'd still buy it. I LOVE CASTLEVANIA!

Top Bottom