Legality of Alcohol vs Illegal Drugs

incognitoX

you fail me
Sparnage, as far as I heard, the US government had stopped airing the "marijuana supports terrorism" related commercials due to the fact it was completely inactual (what a surprise of the government using information that was inaccurate.)

Anyways, my personal opinion is that marijuana should be legalized, or at the least decriminalized in the United States. Tax payers money is being squandered just because they decide to arrest some kid trying to score a dimebag. Oh great, you caught the dell computer kid..I'm sure the officer who did that deserves a medal of valor. ::)

Second, most places of employment these days use UTs. I understand it's a precaution especially to keep the idiots who enjoy going to work while under the influence out, but to a recreational marijuana user who smokes on his own time, getting tested and fired because of some pot that was in their body days or a week after they had smoked is ridiculous. That'd be like firing someone who smoked cigarettes at the office or someone who was drinking the night before after work.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Mage said:
Personally I believe all recreational, mind-altering substances should be banned. Sure, maybe the majority of people can handle them responsibly, but there are always stupid fucks who cause more harm than it's worth. People are killed because of alcohol related accidents, assaults, etc. This is a little utilitarian, but I don't think any amount of simple, selfish bodily pleasure is worth that. If all drugs' effects were limited to the person using them, I wouldn't give a shit, they can kill themselves for all I care. But the effects impact everyone around them, and on a social level, they bring down the standards of good/moral values (i.e., excessive pleasure seeking as opposed to working/studying/helping others/etc.) Banning all mind-altering substances (for recreational uses) is completely unrealistic, though. We've already seen how americans tolerate prohibition. Too many people are weak, their grandest goal in life being mere self-gratification (or too low on the social rung to care about progress).

You're right about that, and an interesting but not surprising sidenote is that 99% of the cocaine produced in the world comes to America. Why? Because America values things that are fast..fast food, fast bucks, fast times...so it's no wonder that cocaine, which offers the fast high continues to feed this lifestyle.

I definitely don't look at alcoholism or drug addiction as a 'disease' either. I think it's a matter of willpower whether or not someone wants to quit, or not quit. While some substances are certainly more addicting than others, I believe it's up to the person whether they want to get better, or lose themselves in their addiction.

On the tv I remember seeing Liza Minelli saying over and over, " Alcoholism, you see, it's a disease..." which means this woman, who is either at the altar, the courtroom, or the Betty Ford Center, is chronically sick.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Kart said:
damn you, I hate, yet love people like you...

You're correct on so many levels, yet i don't think weed should be illegal, i think alcohol should, because I think people on weed can act alot more responsible then people on alcohol, not in all cases though, so you are correct, especially in the fact it lowers social standards, although I believe people should be able to lower themselves into any depth they want, except i don't think they should be able to bring this onto other people, those who do not achive try to keep others from achiving...

this is only half a thought though, give me some time more will come.
Alcohol was illegal once ( Prohibition) and that just seemed to fuel crime.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
so? make it illegal just don't criminlize it, get cash for it if you get caught, don't make it a thing you can buy in stores, pump up the punishment if you're caught driving drunk.

Weed should be legal, it doesn't destroy your body like alcohol does, and it doesn't destroy your life like alcohol does.

incognitoX said:
Sparnage, as far as I heard, the US government had stopped airing the "marijuana supports terrorism" related commercials due to the fact it was completely inactual (what a surprise of the government using information that was inaccurate.)

well thats good, if people hate weed let it be for the right reasons rather than cheep blows like that. it still worked on a person or 2 around here it seems though.

its funny, some people i know who got on it regually changed, and it was noticeable for sure, yet others dont, i dont think i did and it is not always the case but like alcohol some do some dont.

like i said before, i know more poeple who smoke regually more then drink regually, now if thats because its easier to get hooked onto weed than alcohol or because weed is so much cheaper in quantity i really couldnt say, but what i do know is that unlike weed, alcohol in regular use can lead to a physical addiction which is noticeable when one tries to stop drinking regually, but weed is totally mental.

as for weed being a gateway drug, im not saying it will be responsible for getting onto harder things but people who try harder things have almost certainly done weed at least a few times, on the other hand that goes for drinking as well but we never hear of that being a gateway drug.

fuckit, do what one finds fun, we only live once, who wants to stretch out their lives by worrying about what is bad for you. in any case i am now in very good condition physically, despite all the propaganda i have heard throughout time there is no permanent damage to my knowledge so i dont care.

Top Bottom