Movies to dread

NightCrawler said:
I saw this piece of shit yesterday.

There is, I kid you not, a scene in the middle where all their radar and sonar has been out and the courageous Japanese captain onboard says he can work out where to fire the missiles to kill the aliens based on tsunami buoy displacement stats that they put up on a grid on a screen. A grid with letters down one side and numbers down the other. I am not even fucking kidding. This is in the film. He shouts out “B-11!” and then Rihanna presses the fire button (Who designs a warship that can fire missiles at such a vague target???) and then they wait to see if it hits. I would have asked for my money back if I’d actually paid.

It is worse than TRANSFORMERS 1, 2 and 3 combined. At least those were eccentrically shit. This is just shit. And Michael Bay deserves a royalty cheque for it.

:ganishka:

I can't believe the fact that not even a single person working on that film said," Hey, maybe making a movie based on a board game isn't a great idea."

The Good Reverend Skeleton said:
:ganishka:

I can't believe the fact that not even a single person working on that film said," Hey, maybe making a movie based on a board game isn't a great idea."

James Cameron did speak out to the director about idea itself being a flop. Watch the movie do great and birth a genre of far reaching board game movies!

I want to see Battleship being a Rihanna fan. Plus, it looks like it delivers on the action. Its nothing exceptional I'm sure but its entertainment, not a work of art. Battleship doesn't look any more/less cliche then most of the copy/paste MARVEL movies these days anyways.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Death May Die said:
James Cameron did speak out to the director about idea itself being a flop. Watch the movie do great and birth a genre of far reaching board game movies!

I want to see Battleship being a Rihanna fan. Plus, it looks like it delivers on the action. Its nothing exceptional I'm sure but its entertainment, not a work of art. Battleship doesn't look any more/less cliche then most of the copy/paste MARVEL movies these days anyways.

:|

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Are you fucking trolling?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
There is, I kid you not, a scene in the middle where all their radar and sonar has been out and the courageous Japanese captain onboard says he can work out where to fire the missiles to kill the aliens based on tsunami buoy displacement stats that they put up on a grid on a screen. A grid with letters down one side and numbers down the other.

I'm sure I'm just seeing this in a light it doesn't deserve, but that actually sounds more cleverly self-aware than a movie like this would be capable. Could it be that we're the ones taking it too seriously? Oh, who am I kidding, they were probably dead serious about it too. Ugh.

NightCrawler said:
Walter said:
Are you fucking trolling?

Don't worry, it's a moot point how bad it is in theaters, it's the Blu-ray that matters. As a big Rhianna fan, I'm obliged to buy it anyway.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Groovy Metal Fist said:
It's never ending chaos. I don't want decades of endless retcons, reboots, Universe expansions, tone shifts. I like stories with beginnings, middles, and ends.

You shouldn't read comics then :slan:

^ Exactly. Wanted was a movie I wish they adapted true to the comic book (with 6, they could've split the subject in 2 movies), the film adaptation was horrible.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
It's never ending chaos. I don't want decades of endless retcons, reboots, Universe expansions, tone shifts. I like stories with beginnings, middles, and ends.
I read many American comics for years as a teenager, but slowly came to the realization that they didn't have what I wanted: a continuous story with character development and, as you said, a beginning, middle and end. It's a fundamental problem with the way that ownership is handled in these properties. Nothing can be altered or ended gracefully because those holding the strings to the franchises are only interested in money, not telling a satisfying story.

That being said, there are of course many exceptions. Pretty much anything by Alan Moore is fantastic. And Walking Dead's comic is quite good and meets my above criteria.

Griffith

I actually like the idea of what Marvel has done with these franchises, making comic book movies that literally function like comic books. That's an ambitious, and some fear revolutionary, project. Of course, note I said I like the idea of it, since I have no more interest in seeing the movies for any of these characters than reading their comics. :ganishka:

I'm rooting for The Avengers though; call me when Whedon has enough juice to make the Buffy Season 8 movie. :iva:

Griffith

Walter said:
Why are we talking about Avengers and Cabin in the Woods in the dread thread? :???:

I think you're experiencing some crosstalk with the "movies you've watched" thread due to overlapping talking points. :guts:

And I guess Avengers is in here in case it sets a precedent that destroys the autonomy of the individual film? :magni: :ganishka:

Griffith said:
And I guess Avengers is in here in case it sets a precedent that destroys the autonomy of the individual film? :magni: :ganishka:

I don't ever think every film will follow this trend in the same way not every single film became a sequel, reboot, or remake after those were introduced. But yeah, I don't want to see this pattern expand for years to come.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I think you're experiencing some crosstalk with the "movies you've watched" thread due to overlapping talking points. :guts:

Maybe we should change the names of these threads to: Good Movies, Bad Movies, Movies We're Watching.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Or Films so bad you know you shouldn't be watching but you'll watch again just to remind yourself why you wasted $20.00 dollars the 1st time.

Walter said:
Maybe we should change the names of these threads to: Good Movies, Bad Movies, Movies We're Watching.

The current titles clearly divide movies we haven't seen from movies we've already watched. There are movies I think will be good and movies I think will be bad, but I'm reluctant to label them that way until I've actually watched them.

Maybe the new title should be 'Movies we've watched' instead of 'Movies We're Watching' so we don't get people posting, "I'm definitely watching that movie when it comes out".

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
The current titles clearly divide movies we haven't seen from movies we've already watched. There are movies I think will be good and movies I think will be bad, but I'm reluctant to label them that way until I've actually watched them.

Maybe the new title should be 'Movies we've watched' instead of 'Movies We're Watching' so we don't get people posting, "I'm definitely watching that movie when it comes out".
The purpose of changing the names would be to make "Movies" no longer the first word in each thread's name.

Griffith

I think it's fine the way it is, there's some crossover, sure, but it could become even more redundant. Particularly, I'd keep the "look forward to" and "dread" monikers since they're specifically about upcoming/new movies and our anticipation/apprehension. Plus, I like them, "Movies to dread" is a great response thread. :guts:

Another example of the need for this thread...

Ryan Reynolds To Take Over As Batman After The Dark Knight Rises

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/ryan-reynolds-batman-dark-knight-rises/ said:
“We’ve begged Chris [Nolan] to stay on board but he refuses. He feels that he can’t do anything more with the series after this third film. We don’t want to let Batman die though, we know there are tons of fans out there that will want more and that’s why we’re looking into a reboot,” says Barry Meyer, CEO of Warner Bros.

“We loved the work that Ryan did for us on Green Lantern and we feel that he’s the right man to lead the Batman franchise. He’s an extremely talented individual and we hope that fans will embrace him as the new Batman,” continued Meyer.

If you think it's too soon to be talking about this here... my sentiments exactly! To continue the Warner Bros. head jerkoff's analogy, Bateman's not even dead yet and they've seemingly already moved on to the next one! It's like showing up to your spouse's funeral with your new girlfriend. Show some restraint, the body's not even cold, let alone in the ground yet! =)

Seriously, they don't want to wait until after the movie comes out at least? This really seems kind of damaging to me, potentially disastrous even, like they're both needlessly undermining The Dark Knight Rises before it's even released and setting themselves and Reynolds up for a potential fan backlash right when they don't need one. So, congratulations to PR genius Barry Meyer for possibly shitting on his present and his future at the same time.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
jlCnw.jpg

Griffith

I don't know if there will be, but I feel like their should be a backlash with awkward press releases and denials from all parties, like it was all just speculative, they're totally committed to the current Dark Knight movie, etc.

Maybe I just feel this way because... Ryan Reynolds? zZzzZzzzz

Really? Fake movie star Ryan Reynolds? Whom studios are so desperate to have succeed they're going to keep pushing him on the public when the message has already been sent numerous times, "Not interested." This is another perfect example of this disconnect, since being intimately involved in the ruinous portrayal of two superheros doesn't exactly scream, "Batman material!" Didn't they learn anything from Bale? Reynold's isn't even the best Ryan for the job (try Gosling).

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read all day ... I hope they aren't serious!?! Reynolds - Deadpool, Green Lantern and now Batman ... come on. I hope they don't have another Batman movie that disregards Nolan's movies like the upcoming Superman/ Spiderman movies.

Top Bottom