My first  Japanese lesson!

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Oookay, I've now officially had my first lesson in japanese!

Kowai...... My classmates I mean. I was the only female, I bet they all worked with computers, I know that those that I talked to did. They studied japanese because they wanted to go to japan (--see pretty girls live) or liked anime (--see pretty girls on the screen). Only three guys said anything at all during the break, the rest hid along the walls, looking shellshocked. One guy smelled, three were wearing sandals even though it's really cold and rainy now in sweden. Half of them had taken this exact class before and was now taking it again. And they were asking the teacher questions, or rather making statements lke: 'it's like this, right (--trying to look good)' which more often than not were wrong.

Did I learn anything? A little bit... did I enjoy myself? Hell yes! Just the class itself is worth the money, and the classmates are hilarious. :D. Next time I'm gonna talk to some more and scare them... no way I am telling them that I watches anime though, then I'd be overrun in no time. Think return of the living dead...

hehe just had to share...

Re: My first  Japanese lesson!

cool... *thinks people who wear sandals in the winter/fall are weird too*

Learning Japanese is going to be fun for you! ^_^;

icefall

I need more sleep -_- zzz

First lesson - kowaikatta (desu) ... that's the past tense ^_- you'll get to it waaaaay later.

And check this out, you'll appreciate this link someone posted on my boards a while ago  ;D

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~thoureau/japanese.html

It's TOO funny!

Fishbomb

*laughs* Yeah, I've read that link. Someone posted it here too, and made me cringe if fear and trepidation...

Hilarious. *grins*

Agh, past tense, I forgot! *cringes*

(Watashi wa) kowakatta deshita

Er... No. ^_^;
First of all, you wouldn't need "deshita" as "kowakatta" already means it's past tense.
Also, by adding "watashi wa", you'd mean that _you_ were frightening.  ;D
(well, it _could_ work, but without any context, it's a bit weird...)

Besides, I'm not even sure you'd need to use "kowakatta" instead of "kowai"... I think "kowai" was fine, actually. ^_^

icefall

That would be "kowakatta", actually. ^_-

I put the i in there  :-X

That's what I get for tying late, now I feel like a poopie  ;D

edit: the example I was thinking of was charolette in the anime after griffith saved her on the horse... first thing out of her mouth was "kowakatta"

Fishbomb

Ah yes... I was scary!  :eek:

I might need to employ that one day. ;)

That was why I put the Watashi wa in paranthesis... because it's not really neccesary. But what would the difference be if I instead wrote Watashi ga kowai desu!  

And I did wonder about the double past tense. I mean, most of the time the japanese seems to work towards a lesser number of words (fine by me), that's why I just said Kowai the first time around. But if I was about to use desu/da... would the correct thing be:

Kowakatta desu (I was scared) or
Kowakatta deshita

Can you mix past/present forms like that? The easiest way would just be to skip the desu I guess...

What I mean to say that my classmates were scary/still are scary. If I use it for an ongoing feeling, then Kowai would be correct, right? But if I had said that my classmates scared me, but that I am alright now, then I would have used Kowakatta,  right?

Kowai (Scary!)
Kowakatta (I was so scared!)

Is that basically correct? It's such a useful little word to know...

I am trying my best to make sense of japanese, the basic words are not that hard, but the nuances between them! Ouch!  ;D

That was why I put the Watashi wa in paranthesis... because it's not really neccesary.

It all depends on the context, really...

But what would the difference be if I instead wrote Watashi ga kowai desu!

That would probably be used in an answer... Maybe something like "[no,] I am the one who's scary!".

But if I was about to use desu/da...

There's no "da" with "i"-type adjectives like "kowai", anyway.
It's either "kowai desu" or "kowai". "Kowai da" isn't correct.

would the correct thing be:
Kowakatta desu (I was scared) or
Kowakatta deshita
Can you mix past/present forms like that?

You _have_ to. "Kowakatta deshita" isn't correct.

The easiest way would just be to skip the desu I guess...

Yeah, don't bother with "desu" on these boards. ^^

What I mean to say that my classmates were scary/still are scary. If I use it for an ongoing feeling, then Kowai would be correct, right? But if I had said that my classmates scared me, but that I am alright now, then I would have used Kowakatta,  right?

Yeah, that would be the idea.
I thought that "kowai" was fitting, since it was your _first_ Japanese lesson. ^_-

I am trying my best to make sense of japanese, the basic words are not that hard, but the nuances between them! Ouch!

Yeah, I think it's a rather logical language, it's just _really_ different. ^^

nihongo...muzukashii desu yo[still not sure if that's 100% correct. im so unsure of myself when speaking in another language...]. "Neko wa karada ga futoi desu ga, uma ja nai!"
<*ahem*>
and i hated the first year of japanese, everything seemed even more difficult. so, if it seems alittle too tough at first, stick with it. it gets better, and easier once you begin to learn kanji, that way you'll have a "picture" to go along with the vocabulary!

my sensei taught us this one "tounge twister", i'll try to find it to show you just how "tricky" it can be...

CnC

Ad Oculos

Kono topikku ga daisuki yo
;D

keep Olivier talking.. I'm learning a lot :)

icefall

Olivier-sensei shitsumon ga arimasu!  ;D

Well actually I will have one (or 20) soon but that's a whole other thread!

Fishbomb

nihongo...muzukashii desu yo

Agh, have no idea what that means... Something about the japanese language, but what the hell is muzukashii? ???

"Neko wa karada ga futoi desu ga, uma ja nai!"

*ponders* Neko is cat, karada is the body/health, futoi is fat, uma ja nai might be the negative of delicious (generally positive...) (?)... So... *ponders some more* Could it be something like: (probably making a fool of myself here)

...The cat has a fat body, which isn't good.

I know that isn't correct... *groans* Please explain this one...

Olivier: Ah, thanks! This is amazingly helpful... ;D

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider

AHEMM!!!
So...
It's not good to be like a fat cat, so you must practice sports.
TADAAN!!! ;D

Fishbomb

We have a beer in sweden which is named 'fat cat'

Slogan: "All the calories, all the flavour: Fat Cat"

fatcat.jpg

nihongo...muzukashii desu yo

Agh, have no idea what that means... Something about the japanese language, but what the hell is muzukashii?   ???

muzukashii = difficult
so the sentence means "Japanese is difficult!"(more or less)

"Neko wa karada ga futoi desu ga, uma ja nai!"
*ponders* Neko is cat, karada is the body/health, futoi is fat, uma ja nai might be the negative of delicious (generally positive...) (?)... So... *ponders some more* Could it be something like: (probably making a fool of myself here)
...The cat has a fat body, which isn't good.
I know that isn't correct... *groans* Please explain this one
I said, roughly, "the cat is fat/has a fat body, but it's not a horse."
roughly....

AHEMM!!!
So...
It's not good to be like a fat cat, so you must practice sports.
TADAAN!!! ;D

i swear to god, white hawk you'd better be joking...

PS: is there a reason that ^ is messed up?!

CnC

Ad Oculos

the cat is fat/has a fat body, but it's not a horse

I got it (even looked up fat), but it made no sense to me so I thought I had it wrong.

nope... we just like making random sentences...

Top Bottom