Nintendo Revolution = Wii

Here is my reasoning about Wii vs PS3.

The PS3 will be $600 at launch (if you don't get the crappy bargain version, which is just going to cost you more money later on down the road anyways). That versus a Wii, which is going to be $250 at launch and include one Wii remote controller, one Nunchuck controller and the game WiiSports.

That is a $350 value versus a console that will include one controller, no game and not even some HD cables for you to enjoy that aMaZiNg Blu-Ray technology. Wii launch titles are priced at around $50. That $350 savings will net me six additional launch titles in addition to the one that comes with the Wii, including California sales tax (7.25%) while pocketing $10.

So, $600 for a PS3 with no game and one controller, versus $600 for a Wii with two controllers and seven games.

What I plan on getting is the Wii launch system (one Wii remote controller, one Nunchuck controller, one game), purchase an extra game, two extra Wii remote controllers, one extra Nunchuck controller and one Classic controller. Altogether I'm looking at spending $450 (including tax) in addition to earning 500 points for Nintendo's online store system.

Versus $600 for a PS3 with one controller and no game. Although I guess it doesn't matter since I will get a PS3 too eventually anyways. D=

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure it's really relevant to make VS comparisons since the two products have different purposes aside from the obvious "making money" one. The Wii's cheaper and will be far more available than the PS3 at launch, it's meant to be something everybody can use, from 7 to 77 years old, with games focusing on fun, relatively cheap to produce, and with innovative gameplay.

On the contrary the PS3 is meant to be a classy and luxurious product that not everybody can have (which in truth is most likely not what Sony wants), it's more expensive in every aspect but also features higher technology. It's also meant to be a media center, it doesn't only focus on games.

They both have good and bad points, and I don't think people are really going to be torn between the two, just because of the different approach to gaming both companies are taking. Now PS3 vs X360, that's something that makes sense, because they're direct rivals on everything they do.

CnC

Ad Oculos
For me, I'll be getting a Wii when they put out a good sword fighting game. Something akin to Die by the Sword or something. Red Steel doesn't look all that good at the moment.

But apparently Call of Duty 3 for Wii is pretty fun.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Red Steel doesn't look all that good at the moment.

I'm not saying it's become a must-buy, but it made a good impression when it was shown again recently, apparently the game has progressed quite a bit since E3. I'm still not planning on buying it, but it might not be too bad in the end.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
I'm not saying it's become a must-buy, but it made a good impression when it was shown again recently, apparently the game has progressed quite a bit since E3. I'm still not planning on buying it, but it might not be too bad in the end.

Yea but its not the sword fighting game that would make me buy the system, thats for sure. Gonna have to wait :guts:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/738/738999p1.html
IGN's hands on impressions. They are saying its a fun game but there are some problems in the control department. I'm still looking forward to it very much, though.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Man, you guys are lucky. There were people lined up for Wii pre-orders outside of Gamestop at 3am. Suffice to say, all preorders were gone instantly. I've checked around, but Im going to have to find a store that doesn't take preorders, and then camp them on november 18th. My friends who aren't buying the system, but still really want me to get it so they can play it, are going to help me out in this endeavor.

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
dwarfkicker said:
BestBuy isn't taking preorders for the Wii or PS3.

yeah, that's really the way to go if you couldn't pre order it. I waited in line early for the GC release, and had no problem. Even Wal-Mart is a possibility, a few friends of mine have had success there too surprisingly.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SMZKAH said:
yeah, that's really the way to go if you couldn't pre order it. I waited in line early for the GC release, and had no problem. Even Wal-Mart is a possibility, a few friends of mine have had success there too surprisingly.

There should be enough supply to satisfy the demand anyway, Nintendo is producing them so fast that it might not even be out of stock at the rate it's going.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
After a second-look at the launch titles, and all this talk about difficulties getting pre-orders... geez. I'm not feeling like I even want a REVOLUTION before December. The launch hype always turns me off.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
SMZKAH said:
yeah, that's really the way to go if you couldn't pre order it.  I waited in line early for the GC release, and had no problem.  Even Wal-Mart is a possibility, a few friends of mine have had success there too surprisingly.  

Aazealh said:
There should be enough supply to satisfy the demand anyway, Nintendo is producing them so fast that it might not even be out of stock at the rate it's going.

My thoughts exactly. Don't be scared by preorder horror stories, there should be enough to go around, I'm not saying that you will definitely be able to waltz into "major electronic store" on launch day and get one, but you may. Just because Gamestop and EB are only taking a small amount of preorders doesn't mean the likes of Best Buy, Circuit City, WalMart, Target, Toys R Us, Fryes, and others I'm surely forgetting will be shortchanged on launch day.

Walter said:
After a second-look at the launch titles, and all this talk about difficulties getting pre-orders... geez. I'm not feeling like I even want a REVOLUTION before December. The launch hype always turns me off.

I understand where you're coming from Walter, but the launch list isn't that bad. A Zelda game is enough to satisfy most people, but I'm also looking forward to Red Steel and a couple others. But you're right, a big part of it is hype. Just the system itself and trying out the motion controls is the big part of the hype for me. A lot of people rightfully shrug off videogame system launch days. But there is just something about this system that makes me want it as soon as possible. It just looks...really fun. I don't know how else to describe it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
After a second-look at the launch titles, and all this talk about difficulties getting pre-orders... geez. I'm not feeling like I even want a REVOLUTION before December.

Wow, I had completely forgotten that you guys are actually getting it before december. Launch date is December 8th here, and I'll be waiting till Christmas to consider the purchase. No surprise that way. :SK:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
handsome rakshas said:
A lot of people rightfully shrug off videogame system launch days. But there is just something about this system that makes me want it as soon as possible. It just looks...really fun. I don't know how else to describe it.
I agree. Personally, a lot of newer games feel like just the same old thing and I had lost some excitement for gaming in general. The Wii looks to be a very fresh take on the industry, and in that sense I am very excited.

And about the games, the new zelda should take me awhile to beat and my friends and I will be multiplayer wii sports-ing it up for months. A few other titles have caught my attention, but those are the big ones. Certainly enough of a time waster to last until a wider variety hit shelves (not to mention all the classic games that I've missed out on).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Think the launch lines were packed for this?

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/nes/peripherals/rob.html

:troll:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm sure they were, just like they'll be packed for Wii too, which after months of getting used to the idea, I'm now going back to my initial response, which if you don't remember was...

"Griffith No More!" said:
Is this going to be the first ever straight to eBay launch? :carcus:

virtualwinnerscircle.jpg

Oh, the possibilities! :troll:

Nintendo's managed to create the equivalent product feeling of "Good from far, but far from good." As the launch nears, it feels all the more like Virtual Boy 2 rather than Super Nintendo 2.

But, hey, everyone enjoy your purchase, I'm sure it will prove to be a wise choice, right Virtual Boy 5?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Meet the next virtual boy

Funny you're posting this, I read about it this morning. It's "just" 3 kg and allows people to have a 360° vision angle. Interesting idea, but terribly impractical right now. And stupid looking.

"Griffith No More!" said:
Is this going to be the first ever straight to eBay launch? [...] As the launch nears, it feels all the more like Virtual Boy 2 rather than Super Nintendo 2.

You know, past the jokes on how the controller can seem gimmicky I don't think it's really comparable to the Virtual Boy, which was a still-born product (and unfinished, since the final release was somewhat of an alpha version). If it were to fail commercially I think it'd be more in the GC or N64 fashion. I know you're just being provocative though, so I guess it doesn't matter much anyway. :void:

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I'm going to try to waltz into a place or maybe two to buy it on the launch day... no camping. I can wait a week if I must. I'll probably just start with Zelda, which has a playtime of 70+ hours. And we arent talking FF hours where you spend 20 hours on the cutscenes for your attacks. 70 real hours of play. If its on the level of OOT its surely going to be the best game ever made, and for a mere $50! Uhh, and the remote has already proven itself better than the standard controller, at least thats what the 50 or so journalists who used it and reviewed it all said, along with everyone else who has gotten their hands on it.

There is pretty much no way I am gonna spend the $700 it will cost for a PS3 and 1 game after tax. If I was really rich, sure, but I'm not. A system Sony boasts is 35 times as powerfull as a PS2 might SOUND good, but seeing as all the next gen games I've seen only look like they have maybe two or three times the PS2 graphics at best, I'm wondering why I'd pay for the other 32 times increase. And what do you know the Wii is only about 3x current gen stuff. Sony's boasts have proven less than true in the past anyway. Anyone who played RE4 on gamecube knows it was graphically superior to its counterpart on PS2, not to mention to every other game on any of the same gen consoles.

Anyway, after the PS3 and XBOX 360 release more titles and go through a price cut I might decide on one. A big factor will be if/when Silent Hill 5, or RE5 comes out. OR.... Another Berserk Title, one where I can see slimy real looking organs covering the DS after a slash :beast:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure it'd be such a good idea to camp for the Wii only to sell it on eBay. Nintendo said there'd be a shitload of them because they produce them really fast, so right now it's not even sure they're going to be majorly out of stock.

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
Yeah, I almost had a minor panic attack over the weekend when I started worrying that I might not actually get one. Thoughts like; "oh geez, what if EB doesn't get the 35 that they presold and I'm left being #29 if they only get 20." Then of course, I just reread every post on this board and I'm calm again.

I'm also very confident that it won't be out of stock. For example, I called the three Target stores around where I live, They've told me they're getting 80, 60, and 35 respectively. I can only imagine that Wal Mart and Best buy will have numbers close to those as well.

I've gotta stop reading some of the other wii message boards...I'm pretty sure it's just a bunch of 12-15 year old kids that want to feel cool about their pre order and so tell everyone else that the wii will be impossible to get without a pre oder.

Still, I can't believe people are willing to pay as much as 500-700 bucks on Ebay for promise of a wii being shipped next day on the 20th...it's mind boggling really...

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Yep, some of the Wiis are selling for $500. But I have a whole month to return it and get my money back if it doesn't work out. My friend is going to camp out for a PS3 for me, hoepfulyl that sells well.

As for the Wii again, I want to keep on for myself since my B-Day... is actually tomorrow :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I will buy a Wii the day they release a good sword combat game (_not_ Red Steel). Something like Die by the Sword would be perfect for this platform.

SlimJ87D said:
As for the Wii again, I want to keep on for myself since my B-Day... is actually tomorrow :guts:

Congrats :)

Top Bottom