Official Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots thread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Why so down on the trailer? It didn't really move me one way or the other, really.
It sheds light on how convoluted the game is looking. It's taking on so many elements all at once, it appears to even be more of a clusterfuck than MGS2.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
CnC said:
Why so down on the trailer? It didn't really move me one way or the other, really.

I just wish it had more of a sense of direction instead of trying to cover 900 different things. The very end of it was shit also. [no pun intended]

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
WELCOME TO METAL GEAR SOLID!!! Glad to have you aboard.

having a mgs game make sense just seems wrong somehow
Admittedly, "sense" is a relative term when it comes to Kojima, but MGS3 was at least more straightforward than 2, and was a universal improvement as a result.

Wow, the English voice actor for Vamp is, get this, Marvin from Pulp Fiction. "I just shot Marvin in the face." Hmm, Marvin and Vamp both were on the receiving ends of a head-shot. Who would've thunk it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/mgs4/en/

New site. English version of the trailer available.

Made about as much sense as it did when it was japanese, but thanks.

"Hurry snake, I've forgotten how to button up the rest of my shirt!"

"The nano machines in our heads allow us to share our senses. ...so when I checked you just then I just turned on two other dudes."

"I'm selling guns. Basically I launder them. ...So basically I'm a gun launderer"

-Why am I supposed to like this game again?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Oh by the way, there is now some wild speculation about it coming out this Winter. Yes, the does encompass Jan, Feb and March of next year.

Well since the release date has been officially announced to be within Q1 2008 months ago that's really not so wild at all.

Uriel said:
On a side note: Who's going to go along with my theory of Metal Gear Rex and Solid Snake fusing to become METAL GEAR SOLID? Anyone? Anything's possible with Kojima!

Uh, I think I'll pass on that one personally. But yeah, anything's possible.

Proj2501 said:
isn't this what we wanted as MGS fans?

Well, not really as far as I'm concerned. I'm not convinced the game will be awful or anything, but I'd have preferred a tone generally closer to MGS and MGS3 rather than to MGS2. So, who else thinks that the girl at the end is a clone of Otacon's sister, and he's currently having a sexual affair with her but it's destroying both their minds from the guilt, especially since Otacon can't forget that time 40 years ago when he stole her doll to masturbate with it?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The trailer was the inside look of what it's like to have Tourette Syndrome.

I don't see how. Aside from having irrepressible tics, people afflicted with it are like you and me.

Uriel said:
New site. English version of the trailer available.

Can't watch it with the sound at work so can anyone tell me how they translated Eva's "big mama" line?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
"Very impressive CQC Snake. Call me Mama... BIG MAMA."

405px-Big_mommas_house_2.jpg

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Fuckin' A man, you just beat me to the punch again! But Christ, I was just able to stream the audio and the nice picture slideshow that goes with it on their awful streaming setup. God forbid they just let us download the fucker; when was it that official sites, between their faggoty java flash site mechanics and custom shithouse streaming software, became the worst source for any media concerning its respective upcoming product. I mean, you almost have to go to an unofficial specialty site to get anything decent. And yeah, the trailer itself, even worse than I thought. I wish I could go back to 2 trailers ago, the less I see, the more I like it. =)

Talk about ending with a wimper too, it was like the trailer got drunk and was rambling by the end, a depressing stupor. This actually makes me think I'd rather play MGS2; an even keeled game with its head on its shoulders. =)

Walter said:
"Very impressive CQC Snake. Call me Mama... BIG MAMA."

Does no one around Konami camp catch these things or the marbles to tell Kojima it sounds plain old dumb?

Griffith No More! said:
Talk about ending with a wimper too, it was like the trailer got drunk and was rambling by the end, a depressing stupor.

I'll def jump on here wth you guys and agree. The whole shit joke def. worked to cheapen the trailer in my eyes. I enjoyed the 'you left the safety on' moment, but then made a confused face when the guy was taking a dump in the barrel and lameness ensued. :schierke:

Still, have faith. :judo:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
Does no one around Konami camp catch these things or the marbles to tell Kojima it sounds plain old dumb?

Noboby is allowed to tell Kojima jack shit. I'm really surprised you guys aren't liking the trailer. I thought most of the series was like this, and thats what was special about it...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
From the hands-on impressions I've read, it seems it's overall very similar to MGS3: Subsistence as far as the overall experience feels, with many little enhanced features of course. Graphically it's apparently on the level of Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Upon reading this stuff though, I couldn't help but think of what Griff said about MGS3 once, referring to Kojima's grandiloquent declarations: "rooms with a jungle theme". Meaning the game wasn't so much about roaming freely in the jungle in a revolutionary fashion in comparison to MGS1 & 2's closed environments, it was only decorated differently. This looks like it's going to be more or less the same.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
From the hands-on impressions I've read, it seems it's overall very similar to MGS3: Subsistence as far as the overall experience feels, with many little enhanced features of course. Graphically it's apparently on the level of Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Upon reading this stuff though, I couldn't help but think of what Griff said about MGS3 once, referring to Kojima's grandiloquent declarations: "rooms with a jungle theme". Meaning the game wasn't so much about roaming freely in the jungle in a revolutionary fashion in comparison to MGS1 & 2's closed environments, it was only decorated differently. This looks like it's going to be more or less the same.

I agree. I thought this was pretty apparent after seeing the demonstration we saw a while back. It looks a lot like rooms but with a torn up city setting. I'd even go as far as to say that these "real time battles" going on around you (one of the promises made early on) are very elaborate triggered events when you get in range. Soldiers still appear to go on the same pre-planned patrol paths they always have, and are about as smart as ever (case in point: sniper rifle shot right above one, yet no cause for alarm).
It'll likely be a very good MGS game, but its still a MGS game. If you weren't a fan of the series before I don't see much thats going to change your mind.

Griffith

Saw the English trailer in HD, and it was only more clearly disappointing. :daiba:

BTW, anybody bothered by the apparent name change from "Outer Heaven" to "Outer Haven?" I can't say that I am, because I always mispronounced it "haven" anyway, just rolls off the tongue more easily following "outer." =)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Griffith No More! said:
BTW, anybody bothered by the apparent name change from "Outer Heaven" to "Outer Haven?" I can't say that I am, because I always mispronounced it "haven" anyway, just rolls off the tongue more easily following "outer." =)

It's just Liquid's weird Daddy complex.

"I'm like him in every way -- except I'm a little more sufficient with words and naming... stuff. Cuz ya know.. I'm Liquid Ocelot now -- cuz it's original and unexpected. You can't handle these fresh moves!"

Griffith

Uriel said:
It's just Liquid's weird Daddy complex.

Yeah, I've heard that, but without official confirmation, it just seems like something fans are reading too much into (you know, debating as if Liquid is a real person really making the decision here, when it could simply be an official canon change). He seemed fine calling it Outer Heaven in MGS1 anyway, and this isn't much of a change if he's trying to do his own thing now, so it requires some explaining in any case. The lamer theory in that vein is that it's a typo... yeah, pretty big typo, since it's all over the official promotional material including the trailers, website, and is even dubbed in English. Whatever the case, I want to know why/if Kojima is making the change, whether it be something Liquid is doing as part of the plot or is this like a Hawks/Falcons thing? =)

P.S. BTW, Sunny gets more annoying with every viewing of that trailer, she represents everything that's going to be painful about this game. Speaking of which, first look at the box art...

MGS2x2=4.jpg

...something familiar about this.​

Annoying children, the elderly, shit and fart jokes, and monkeys; that right, everything you loved about Metal Gear Solid is BACK!

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I like the Hawks/Falcons theory.

Griffith No More! said:
Annoying children, the elderly, shit and fart jokes, and monkeys; thats right, everything you loved about Metal Gear Solid is BACK!

That'll be the last thing I read on the internet tonight. Thanks for giving me a good belly laugh :guts:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Whoa! what happened here? 1st Solid Snake all sad and contemplating suicide, then this sudden Victoria Secret from hell drama and now a drinking monkey? I think most of us agree on the whole "Big Mama" ordeal so I'm not even gonna touch that one. I'm with you Wally:
Walter said:
It sheds light on how convoluted the game is looking. It's taking on so many elements all at once, it appears to even be more of a clusterfuck than MGS2.

You would think that Kojima would learn his lesson, plus I even remember reading an article before MGS3 came out of him admitting the flaw regarding the whole "closterfuck" as you say in MGS2. Anywho, I'm just hoping we are both wrong.

hehe I enjoyed the trailer, I just take MGS as it is...kojima's crackpot project...but Ive enjoyed all the previous games, and snake is a charismatic character....

I hardly think the game looks like Splinter cell graphically...thats bull I think. Its on a level with gears on its own way to me. All reports say the game plays quite differently from previous games.

Griffith

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/metal-gear-solid4spoilers.php

The image they chose for the front page image was excellent as well. =)

Voyevoda

Breathe and Start
This is apparently the translation of the MGS4 pamphlet that was released at TGS:

The title is This is why Snake has to die. (I've put spoiler tags, just in case)

We can extract the word “fear” from the war activities & divide it into two parts in the world of MSG4. Firstly, the war between the PMCs, which we can characterize as a war that does not depend on ideologies. And it's not the “fear”, but the economical factor that incites this conflict. Additionally there is a system built to control & regulate the PMCs’ activities: the SOP (Sons of the Patriots), a nanomachine control system. The nanomachines get injected in order to have an ID administrating system and to authorize the soldiers. If the ID is not validated, the system denies it from utilizing all kinds of weapons (heavy and non). This particular ID system has two 2 meanings which we must not overlook. It works as an identifier for individual people and as an ID-basis that will “individualize” even more the individual soldiers. The SOP-nanomachines expand the abilities of the individual soldiers, but on the other hand even sentimental-control is possible on them. We can say that even history control is possible through the accumulation of an enormous individual data, which subsequently takes place through genetic control, info-control (meme), sentimental-control, even human life control. You can think of it as the perfect form of the S3 project that was referred in MGS2. A pure battlefield that specializes only on the extermination of the enemy. A warlike fairyland pervaded with cruelty/inhumanity. Although MGS4 is depicting thoroughly & systematically a pure battlefield, it obviously features elements of an uncanny typicality.

Firstly, the slowly dying & aged Solid Snake. If your remove the letters I and S from the word SOLID you have the codename OLD for Snake, and the IS stands for “not being”. That is to say, Snake bears the burden of “not being”/”non-existing”.

Another uncanny typicality of the MGS4 realm, is the monster-like female soldier unit “The Beauty & the Beast”. A familiar story for all of us: A merchant, who lost his way, ends in a mansion where a dreadful beast lives. The merchant driven by his desire sees some beautiful flowers and he plucks a few of them. The beast gets angry and as a reward it demands from the merchant to take his daughter. The beast proposes to the daughter but she refuses. The merchant is ill. When the daughter finds out about it, she begs the Beast to let her go to her sick father. But the Beast says to her that if she’s not back soon enough, it (the Beast) will die. The daughter promises to the Beast, which is on the verge of death, that she will come back and marry it. And thereupon, the magic spell brakes and the Beast transforms into a beautiful young man.

In MGS4 the word Beast refers to the unleashed soldiers. However they do have affinity for love. But in this case “the flowers have already been plucked”. In contrast with the Beast, which desired the young daughter, the MGS4 Beasts desire the feeling of love. And when they have it, they will reveal their original form.

The Beauty & the Beast. The piercing knife. The fear. The fear is a factor, which boosts war activities. This is what wars were all about in the past: deterrence. But nowadays it is inefficient. Therefore there is a system that controls even the individual sentimental-condition of a person in order to bring about regulation and warfare. “The flowers have already been plucked by the merchant”, and the Beasts- (a sentence I don't understand, sorry guys). In this case, the only thing left for someone is to protect himself, since “the flowers never had the chance to bloom in the first place”. The only thing that somebody can count on is himself, as there is a world around that extracts every “existing” part of a human being and digitalizes it in order to control it. The non-existing part cannot be digitalized and subsequently cannot be controlled. Which means, towards a world that has the tendency to digitalize everything, the way to oppose is by not existing, despite the belief that there is always something worthy left. And when the time comes, in which the spells of this insane world will brake, the Beasts will return to their original form. The flowers will bloom fully, the people will earn their sentimental-freedom to love, to rejoice, to cry.

The female soldiers of the unit “The Beauty & the Beast”, were created in this world accidentally. They are hapless entities transformed into beasts, because they just happened to be on a place where a witch was swinging her stick. On their creation they were covered with flowers, but eventually the flowers were stolen from them. In other words this is the same that happened to Raiden, Naomi, Otacon and the others. They have a place to go, a place, where they can free themselves from this cursed world. A place where they can all be “Sons of Liberty”.

However there is a man, who lost the privilege of being a “Son of Liberty”. He was created by the “Les Enfant Terrible” project, a project that “convicted” him to become the incarnation of the most powerful soldier. A deprived human being by the witch’s cursed spell since his beginning. A human being that was born without the flowers that he deserved. A human being that cannot exist anywhere else, but except on the battlefield. A human being that has no place to go. He formed an anti-metal gear organization by his own will, in order to free himself from the bonds of genes, by delineating his own cursed inside. By disbelieving his own genes, he expostulates (dissuades) with the Patriots, after knowing that they plan to “revive” Big Boss. He intends to free this world from the madness of war and surely this madness will always bug him. For one more time, he has to count on himself. “Is the battlefield looking for him? Is the battlefield after him?” Not really. He is the battlefield itself. That is why he has the title of “non-existing” in the battlefield. If he does not exist, then the battlefield also does not exist. They “gave birth” to him to fulfill the perverted desires of this world, thus he is the only one who will break the witch’s curse/spell, which beset this world. His only option is to divulge the deception of his existence. He has to appear in front of us, possessing the form of the “impossible” (=an exhausted, aged, ugly old bastard). Only Snake’s death will portray, depict & illustrate perfectly this “impossible form” and this “non-existing”.

Only then, the witch’s curse/spell will be broken and the world will move on. Only then the “immortal” Snake will have his appropriate demise. Only then the word “OLD” from “SOLID” will be erased, and the “IS” will remain. When this unprecedented dawn shines on this world, the new-era snake will continue to exist someplace in there.

MGS4 is meant to narrate how the non-existing Snake becomes an existing entity.

Don't know if it's the real thing though, but whatever!

Top Bottom