Official SKnet Wii thread

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Sonic and the Secret Rings is a port? Super Paper Mario?

Yes. Of the Gamecube. Same with Zelda.

Aazealh said:
I remember that when it came out, the X360 didn't have much going for itself. It's really not surprising that a console lacks of titles at first. Same goes for the PS3. We'll see in a year. Like I said, developers don't release games in 2 months, it'll take time to see what 3rd parties will really do.

Well its the announced games that we're talking about. Of course there aren't too many released games so early. But the sheer amount of ports coming down the pipe is worrying even Nintendo (there was some interview where a nintendo exec hinted at this frustration, can't remember who or where now tho). In an environment where publishing multi-platform titles yields the best profits the Wii is going to be the weaker version with shoe-horned controls. Its a risk for 3rd party developers to allocate resources to one system alone.

Aazealh said:
I disagree though, there seems to be enough projects in the works and a lot of 3rd parties are behind it.

Like?

Not being sarcastic. I'd like to hear of some seriously funded 3rd party original titles for the Wii.
The only ones I've really heard of was the "House of the Dead" imitator from Capcom. And how much weight capcom is throwing behind that is debateable.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Yes. Of the Gamecube. Same with Zelda.

Nope, these two games aren't ports, unlike Zelda. Super Paper Mario was planned for the GC and moved to the Wii mid-dev, but it's still not a port, especially not like Zelda. It's not being released for the GC. Sonic was never meant for the GC.

CnC said:
Well its the announced games that we're talking about. Of course there aren't too many released games so early.
CnC said:
I'd like to hear of some seriously funded 3rd party original titles for the Wii.

So am I supposed to go get a list from Gamespot or IGN and paste it here? Just go check it yourself dude, I'm leaving work now. :p Seriously, I'll give you a list later if you want, but it's not hard to find by yourself or anything. If you haven't heard of any Wii game planned it's probably because you don't care about them.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Nope, these two games aren't ports, unlike Zelda. Super Paper Mario was planned for the GC and moved to the Wii mid-dev, but it's still not a port, especially not like Zelda. It's not being released for the GC. Sonic was never meant for the GC.

Didn't know that about Sonic. But honestly, thats almost a non-issue as it didn't sell all too well.
But honestly dude, don't try to convince me that paper mario isn't a port. The wii controls are so obviously tacked on. Just like Zelda, it was INTENDED for the Gamecube. We can argue at what stage in its development it was shifted to the Wii, but I think the end result speaks for itself.
This is not to say these ports aren't good, as I'm sure theres a negative connotation that comes from saying "this game is a port".

Aazealh said:
So am I supposed to go get a list from Gamespot or IGN and paste it here? Just go check it yourself dude, I'm leaving work now. :p Seriously, I'll give you a list later if you want, but it's not hard to find by yourself or anything. If you haven't heard of any Wii game planned it's probably because you don't care about them.

You were "supposed" to just name them off the top of your head :troll:. And I do care about games planned on the Wii, I just can't think of any solid 3rd party titles. The downfall of the Gamecube was the overwhelming tendency to release 1st party titles. It was a nintendo machine. I think there's a solid movement to try and change that but I'm just not seeing it.
Believe me, the last thing I want is for you to just start quoting lists and numbers to me.

Aazealh said:
Buy the DS first, then the Wii in a few months, when more games are out. :SK:

Definitely agree. I have a Wii and I never ever play it. 360 and DS on the other hand I play every day.

handsome rakshas said:
If I ever give someone advice on how to please their wife this would be it, buy her a DS! Saiya I'm serious, it's the best system of all time. She would love you forever and be eternally grateful. Remember your wife consented night in Fukuoka? She would let you have those all the time! They sell them in pink and you could put little Hello Kitty stickers on it or whatever she likes! The Wii is fun and all, but you could enjoy a DS anyplace at anytime. if you take any advice from your ol' pal Handsome, this would be it!

Handsome Rackshas is a smart man, he should be listened to. My friend got his wife a DS and she is always playing on it. I honestly doubt I'd be able to recognize her if she walked by me without her DS in hand, she plays it that much.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Didn't know that about Sonic. But honestly, thats almost a non-issue as it didn't sell all too well.

Hey, that doesn't mean it's not a good game. :puck:

CnC said:
But honestly dude, don't try to convince me that paper mario isn't a port. The wii controls are so obviously tacked on. [...] I think the end result speaks for itself.

I'm sorry man but it's not a port. It switched from a platform to another during development, and I'd tend to think rather early (not that the architecture between both is very different anyway), and it's only been released on a single machine. I don't see how it can technically be a port, but I imagine you'll say I'm nitpicking. Moreso, I don't know what you're talking about concerning the controls. Have you played the game? All the reviews I've read or heard said the controls are perfect and feel real good. There's really nothing to support what you're saying that I know of so I'm honestly confused... Maybe you tried it and didn't like it or something? It's fine with me (to each his own, etc), but I'm a little surprised by your reaction here.

CnC said:
You were "supposed" to just name them off the top of your head :troll:.

Haha alright, sorry. I'll admit I don't follow the gaming news all that much, but as far as I know all big 3rd party studios have announced they'd be supporting the Wii. Not that sales wouldn't get them to come running anyway. As for games, excluding those we already talked about I'm personally looking forward to Dragon Quest Swords, Fire Emblem, Pangya (Golf game), Elebits, the FF Chronicles game assuming it doesn't suck, and to a lesser extent One Piece Unlimited Adventure and the Hajime no Ippo game. Plus the big first party titles that are on the way obviously, and Guitar Hero III :carcus:. I'm sure others could name more games but that's as much as I keep an eye on with the ridiculously big list of DS games I'm semi-hoping to get one day.

Anyway, since I'm not a big fan of videogame-related arguments, I'm in favor of waiting to see how it'll all turn out. :void:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I don't think I have the energy to keep arguing a point I really don't care about (as we've discussed), so I'll just pick up on some quick points

Aazealh said:
Hey, that doesn't mean it's not a good game. :puck:

Well, from what I've read its 'ok' if not bad. It surely is better than the 360's sonic offering (furry love!).

Aazealh said:
I'm sorry man but it's not a port. It switched from a platform to another during development, and I'd tend to think rather early (not that the architecture between both is very different anyway), and it's only been released on a single machine. I don't see how it can technically be a port, but I imagine you'll say I'm nitpicking. Moreso, I don't know what you're talking about concerning the controls. Have you played the game? All the reviews I've read or heard said the controls are perfect and feel real good. There's really nothing to support what you're saying that I know of so I'm honestly confused... Maybe you tried it and didn't like it or something? It's fine with me (to each his own, etc), but I'm a little surprised by your reaction here.

I haven't played the game (don't have Wii), so like you I'm going off of what I've read. But if I understand correctly you play the game like you would a regular game (gamepad) and the Wii controls (motion sensitive) coming from getting extra points for shaking the remote as you land on an enemy's head or using the remote like a flashlight to reveal secrets. In any case most reviewers of the game note that the motion control aspects are not central to the game and thus feel more like an afterthought.
Its not that the controls are somehow "bad", they're just not what you'd expect from a Wii game.

Thats how I support my argument on the controls. Now as to the point in the games development when it was decided this was to be a Wii game instead of a Gamecube game I can't really say. I'm not privy to that sort of developer knowledge. Zelda:TP development started well before the Wii's release date but was delayed numerous times then ultimately was going to be moved to the Wii to help boost sales. I imagine Paper Mario was similar but started development later.

I wish for nothing but continued success for Nintendo. This has got to be the most interesting time for gaming, as there are 3 industry leaders competing relatively evenly with one another. I don't want it to sound like I'm hinging my bets on market supremecy for one company, as rooting for a multi-million dollar company (as if they were an underdog) is somewhat stupid.

With the competition prevalent, the real winner is the gamer ....and Intel (they make all the chips).

...wow, that wasn't quick at all. Was it? Meh. I'm done

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2007/05/01/8405654/index.htm?postversion=2007042407

A pretty big article on the Wii's success.

And CnC, read IGN's review of Super Paper Mario, or better yet, check out the video review. http://wii.ign.com/articles/778/778606p1.html

The reviewer is pretty specific about how the Wii additions _don't_ feel tacked on or a last minute addition.

[quote author=IGN]
Like Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario was originally a GameCube title designed for a traditional controller. When Nintendo moved the game to Wii, though, Intelligent Systems reworked the controls to take advantage of the Wii remote.

Thankfully, the developer did not implement a wide number of gesture-based actions simply for the gimmick of swinging the Wii remote around. In contrast, it has thoughtfully approached the prospect of utilizing the device and the end result is a title that plays classically and doesn't beat you over the head with waggle action.

You simply hold the Wii-mote on its side, control Mario and party with the D-Pad, and occasionally point the Wii remote at the screen to illuminate hidden doorways or to find out information about characters and objects. You can also shake the Wii remote as you jump atop the heads of enemies for style points.

Amateurs will never bother with this ability and that's fine -- it's not necessary, after all -- but pros will see how far they can take it, amassing more and more style points for harder-to-beat enemies in hopes of upping experience and hit points.[/quote]

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
So wait, is the Wii-mote supposed to be the future of gaming fun as we know it, or a gimmick they don’t want to hit us over the head with? I’m confused. =)

It's all relative. I think this dynamic in the Wii presents the ultimate, "It's not a defect, it's a feature!" argument for all their games. If it has lots Wii motion, the game is awesome for it, if it doesn't don't, well... Wii motion isn't that great anyway! And vice versa. The "tacked on" or not argument is the same. Anyway, here's MY favorite review of Super Paper Mario. =)

[quote author=SA]In Paper Mario RPG and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Nintendo combined the Mario universe, platforming and rpg elements, and an appealing "2D paper-cutout" art style to make a pair of terrific games. After spending time with the more platform-centric Super Paper Mario that comes out next week, I'm beginning to get the feeling that they pushed the whole "paper" aspect just a little bit too far this time around.

Things start off simple enough. Mario wakes up in his bed (an oversized notebook in which he sleeps between two of the middle-most pages) and brushes his teeth with an eraser. So far so good.

At this point, Peach knocks on Mario's door, but when he opens it to greet her she is blown away by the wind. Just in case we don't understand how this could happen, she yells "AHH I'm paper!" and folds into the shape of a paper airplane as she sails away.

Thus begins the adventure.[/quote]

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
So wait, is the Wii-mote supposed to be the future of gaming fun as we know it, or a gimmick they don’t want to hit us over the head with? I’m confused. =)

It's all relative. I think this dynamic in the Wii presents the ultimate, "It's not a defect, it's a feature!" argument for all their games. If it has lots Wii motion, the game is awesome for it, if it doesn't don't, well... Wii motion isn't that great anyway! And vice versa. The "tacked on" or not argument is the same.
I don't think so. The issue here was whether the control scheme was natural in incorporating motion, which was threatened by a transition between GameCube and the Wii.

However, Wii controller integration is still and will always be an issue for games, as it has to do with how well the controls are designed for each game to begin with. I don't personally think motion sensing should be in ALL games, because not all games are so active they'd require that kind of accurate, real-life motion input. However, for those that can integrate it naturally, bravo.

A shining example of great control and Wii-controller integration is Wii Sports. If you haven't played it yet, it's difficult to describe, but even my friend's grandparents were playing well within a few rounds. Integrating real-life motion with on-screen action is the key to its popularity, I think. However, something like in Twilight Princess, where you shake the controller back and forth and Link does a spinning attack. What?

CnC

Ad Oculos
To echo Griff's sentiment, that IGN review is rather odd.

It basically said the same thing I did only spun in a way where that lack of "Wii"-ness is a good thing.

Like I said, they're not "bad" controls. The developer did a good job of translating the Gamecube controls to the Wii.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
To echo Griff's sentiment, that IGN review is rather odd.

It basically said the same thing I did only spun in a way where that lack of "Wii"-ness is a good thing.
Have either of you guys played a Wii before? :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Have either of you guys played a Wii before? :guts:

I've played one yes, but I don't own one. Wii-sports is one of the best tech-demos I've seen! :troll:

Was that a, "You just don't KNOW, man! Its a Wii! It don't play by _your_ rules!"-type of question?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I've played one yes, but I don't own one. Wii-sports is one of the best tech-demos I've seen! :troll:

Was that a, "You just don't KNOW, man! Its a Wii! It don't play by _your_ rules!"-type of question?
Not really, I just think it would be pretty lame to criticize the Wii "gestures" if you haven't even tried out the controller, that's all.

And if Wii Sports is just a tech-demo, it's the most fun multiplayer tech-demo i've played since Qtest in 1996.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It certainly didn't seem to really address CnC's rather mild and reasonable stance on the subject. Even simple axioms such as "it's all relative" fall before the Wii, I guess.

Regardless, my point was simply a logical argument about relative perspective, not the Wii's controls. It is all relative, and I think that's proven here, like our trust in Internet sources from topic to topic depending on our position. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Not really, I just think it would be pretty lame to criticize the Wii "gestures" if you haven't even tried out the controller, that's all.

Well I wasn't, really. Not that it would change anything to do with paper mario's controls (its excellent but not Wii-isized controls... yeesh).

Walter said:
And if Wii Sports is just a tech-demo, it's the most fun multiplayer tech-demo i've played since Qtest in 1996.

Just trollin'. Its fun, yea.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
However, something like in Twilight Princess, where you shake the controller back and forth and Link does a spinning attack. What?

I liked that. You shake the nunchuck sideways, and I think it's pretty cool.

I know it's still just a rumor, but if the NiGHTS sequel does get made for Wii (supposedly the good people at Sega feel it's the only control system deserving), I'm going to be in heaven. And hey, why not more love for RE: Umbrella Chronicles? Even if it's just HOTD for Wii, HOTD is pretty damn fun, and the Wii controller saves me from having to buy a light gun.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
I know it's still just a rumor, but if the NiGHTS sequel does get made for Wii

It's not a rumor, it's been confirmed a while ago. The title is Nights: Journey of Dreams and they plan on releasing it in Autumn of this year in the USA.

bph said:
And hey, why not more love for RE: Umbrella Chronicles?

It's looking too much like another Gun Survivor and so far doesn't look all that good, I take it that's why nobody's being very enthusiastic about it.

Okay, it was confirmed April 2nd, I'm not THAT far behind. I read about it on the 1st and thought it was an April Fool's joke. It's too bad that most of the old school Sonic Team members have defected, though. Naoto Oshima and Yuji Naka really made that studio what it was, but at least Iizuka is still around. It's a shame they didn't just farm it out to Artoon or Prope, but I'm going to have a bit of faith in Sega here.

EDIT: Also, I thought the IGN preview made Umbrella Chronicles sound promising- http://wii.ign.com/articles/780/780373p1.html

Specifically,
"Umbrella Chronicles isn't merely mindless shooting -- there is that, yes, but there is also much more to consider. The Wii remote affords you pixel-perfect shooting accuracy. You can cap zombie heads without a second's hesitation or you can alternatively shoot them in the arms and legs, at which point they'll drop to the ground. Your reticule decreases in size the longer your hold it over a zombie's face and the smaller it is, the greater chance you have of pulling off a single-shot head explosion, from what we could gather. A button picks up items and chooses paths (occasionally, you can select to go in one direction or another), and B button is your trigger. Press it and you'll shoot -- that simple. But you can use nunchuk's analog stick to look around the game world -- left, right, up and down -- as you glide on-rails through the areas. You'll want to do this because it's how you find the hidden items such as guns, ammo and health that are strewn about the levels."

Not particularly original, but some mindless zombie blasting with the Wii sounds good to me.

I still contemplate getting a wii. I've played a lot of Zelda from when/where I can without owning one, and I've played trauma/red steel/sports/wario and a few others. So far, it just hasn't captured my interests as all the "good" games I've been waiting to see (Metroid and SSBB being the only ones I care about so far) go from "close to launch rumor!" to "...sometime in 07/08". Paper Mario is the only thing that's blipped on my radar in months for the Wii, and even that is a "I can wait."
True it's only been a year, but if we do a quick tally of games via PS3 and Wii, the Wii is the lowest averaging (critic wise) when it comes to games, featuring nearly 4x less of titles in the 75+ percentile and nearly 2x-3x as many games falling -under- the 75% with only (I believe?) 5-8 extra games than the PS3 has.

Not trying to start console gang wars here or say "Critics>your opinion", just imo the only console right now earning its price tag is the 360, which is the only one I'm considering a purchase for now (Ironically, being the only next gen console I swore I would never buy at its announcement. MY HYPOCRISY!)

I want all three consoles for certain games, however, I'm going to wait till this fall/winter before I make my minimum-wage paying choice.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Metroid Prime 3's release date is August 20 in the USA. Awesome. Now I just hope it'll be out soon after in Europe, or better yet: at the same time.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
or better yet: at the same time.

haha. You're funny.

But its good to hear it'll be out soon. Don't think its sold me on a Wii just yet but its still cool.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/jacket/jacketrequest.jsp

Nintendo is offering free Wiimote jacket accessories to every client in an effort to prevent the less agile players from destroying their furnitures and maiming their family members. I think it's a nice move, even though I don't know if I'll even use myself. I already don't use the wrist strap...

Well, aside from that, the official Japanese Super Mario Galaxy website launched today: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rmgj

It's in Japanese of course, so not all that useful, but there are short videos all around the site.

I wasn't a fan of Zelda for the Wii. I prefered the GC edition of it. But Galaxy is something that I'm really looking forward. That game just seems like it'll entertain me for hours on end.

In other news, Sonic joins the Smash Bros roster:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html

Top Bottom