Official SKnet Wii thread

Well I got UC today with Ur Mr Gay and Ass-Ass Cr..I mean, Super Mario Galaxy and Assassin's Creed. I've started off with Mario, I'm liking it a lot more than I anticipated. I've never been that much of a Nintendo or Mario fan for that matter and platformers in general only do so much for me. Sadly, PH wasn't to me what I was hoping it to be, yet ironically Galaxy is delivering on plenty of levels. I've played too many great games this year to give it high honors just from the first hour and I doubt it will dethrone my top spots, but its really high up there and I didn't quite expect it to be.

(yes, all that was a bit off topic, but eh, didn't want to post on three different threads). As for UC, I haven't started it up just yet but I'm planning on it in a few moments. The House of the Dead 2+3 is some pretty sweet news though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
RPG's mostly (currently finishing off FFXII) -- But she still has her NES and SNES and all the Mario games, etc. I've played Games like Soul Caliber, Mario Kart etc with her. She even razzed Shadow of the Colossus with style. However, she does own and old school copy of DDR and used to own a mat back in the day -- but realised that sort of gaming was only good for arcades and not really exercise, no matter how Nintendo spin it.

Well, for RPGs the PS2 is still the best system around I think. Square Enix has projects on the Wii of course, and I think there are a number of other games, for example those cited earlier, that could interest her. Anyway, I'm siding with Scorpio in disagreeing about what constitute exercise or not. I'm pretty sure that in the end Wii Fit will be about as effective if not more than those fitness programs on TV. If you put some energy into it you can even tire yourself playing Wii Sport.

Walter said:
Mario Galaxy rules. 34 stars in.
I'm only 11, but I'm multitasking 7 games now so it takes time. Riding the ray level, I just lost the first time cause of the upper path. However the sweets level killed me several times.

I'm sitting on 72 stars myself. I could have beaten the game at 60 though I'm opting to save the final for when I need to beat it in order to gain the 120th star.
Oh, and once you unlock the secret character, and collect all 120 stars with said secret character, you unlock the Grand Finale Galaxy. This galaxy allows you to get the 121st star for both Mario and the secret character.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I don't think you can make the final showdown with bowser be your 120th star. I don't know this for a fact, but I didn't see any purple comets appear until after I beat him and now they're all over the place.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe it ... my parents want a Wii.

I brought it up last weekend when I visited them, just to show them how cool it was. I should have known I would spend the next DAY playing Wii Sports. My poor elbow will never bii the same.

I still can't believe HOW MUCH they seriously got into it. My parents, if any of you have ever met them, are some of the most non-gaming individuals ever. These are the same people who were appalled, shocked and outraged that the night I got my NES with Mario/Duck Hunt, I set a secret alarm for 1 a.m. and played Mario all night, only to be discovered in the wee hours of 6 a.m., still playing. They couldn't understand how awesome video games were. Until now.

Once they realized they could literally beat my score in bowling (150 was my top, don't laugh), they were immediately into it. They ended up spending the entire Saturday playing Bowling and Golf (golf is the WORST one in Wii Sports too, ugh!) together. I had to sit there and give a Craig Kilbourne-esque commentary — "OH SNAP!" "The low-angle SPANK!" "JUMANJI!" while they played more than 36-holes of golf.

Well, now they're shopping for one for themselves. I think the gimmicky Weather channel is what sold my dad. It's so cheesy and worthless, but he LOVES it. "This is... this is amazing!" he kept saying =).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't help but laugh out loud while reading your post Wally, and I already knew about it too. I think it's pretty cool that the Wii can bring the typically "non-gaming" crowd into videogames. :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
And all you need to do is multiply your story by every other family around and it seems to explain why the Wii is still such a hot commodity.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it was funny. After Wii Sports, they kept asking, "So, this thing plays games?" "Uh, yeah, it's a game console." "It has other games, like discs?" "Sure." "What kind of games?" "Uhhh... lots?" (seriously, how do you answer that question? How do you summarize the whole gaming industry in a few words?).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Japanese Wii owners recently got a new channel called "Everyone's Nintendo," which finally offers the promised DS demo downloads and trailers of new games.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/837/837874p1.html

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Potentially awesome/lame:

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/413000/413257_smashkingdom.swf

Makes me kinda pumped for the game. "I left a little something inside you".

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Sorry for the double post, but I think it should be mentioned that the demand for Wii's is just stupid.

Seriously, you know it's bad when the cockroaches of the Internet crawl out from their hiding places to buy them at retail and sell them off for double. Nothing illegal about it at all, but it's still pretty poor. I'm glad I can't afford one, because the effort of trying to find a Wii for $250 would be too much.

Got 120 stars in Mario. Some things are just a pain in the ass. Anyway, playing as
Luigi
makes the game harder. He moves faster, jumps higher/farther, but slides when you try to stop. It's a bitch when you don't judge your stop properly and slide right over a ledge and fall into a black hole.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Baseball Stars 2, my favorite sports game of all time, is available on Virtual Console now for $9. FINALLY. Too bad you can't play it online against people...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
So basically, MAME > Wii? :guts:
Virtual Console definitely runs the game more smoothly, and sounds better than MAME. I'm even HITTING the ball more consistently, believe it or not :isidro: But yeah, the lack of even basic network play is a huge boner for this game. 2-player of course works fine... if your friend happens to be sitting next to you (how old school...).

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
Well, I got a good 9 hours of Galaxy under my belt today now that my fall semester is over. I'm up to 67 stars and I love the game. It's a lot like how SM64 felt the first time through. It's addicting too (I now fully understand many of your earlier posts, Walter).

Also, I'm picking up NiGHTS tomorrow afternoon. I'll post a preliminary review after I play around with it for a while.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I beat Galaxy last week. The final stage is truly mezmerizing, combining the best parts of the gameplay concepts. Unfortunately, while there's still 60 more stars to get, I've honestly lost my taste for the chase. I've got little inspiration to get the rest.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Hey walt how are the boss battles in Galaxy?
In a word — easy. Well... there's 1-2 bosses that are infuriatingly difficult because they have a "hurt Mario" radius the size of an apartment complex (I'm looking at you, annoying Mole Man... man).

Scorpio

Walter said:
In a word — easy. Well... there's 1-2 bosses that are infuriatingly difficult because they have a "hurt Mario" radius the size of an apartment complex (I'm looking at you, annoying Mole Man... man).

Did you ever face him with the daredevil comet? It's a nightmare!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Did you ever face him with the daredevil comet? It's a nightmare!
I actually did, and LAUGHED at how frustrating it was, then quit. I think that was actually the last time I played the game, tobe honest :judo:

Scorpio

I'm not sure exactly how far you got, but you're probably missing out. There are several levels far more fun than mr. mole man
Especially some of the cosmic comets when playing as Luigi, cosmic luigi is a speed demon
, I think my favorite being Luigi's Purple Coins in the toy galaxy. I tried to do it before bed one night, and I ended up just crying myself to sleep.

Top Bottom