Other Anime

cthm

Good... Bad... I'm the Guy With the Gun
Now, I know that this is a berserk site (duh :p), but I was just wondering what other anime people are into? I am stuck pretty much in the main stream when it comes to anime, so if there are some titles that haven’t been released in the states that people recommend (besides berserk ;D), please let others and myself know what they are so we may enjoy them also.

Cowboy Bebop is great as well as Trigun, Big O and Lain.Those Who Hunt Elves is funny as hell and I enjoyed it very much.

I have been watching Noir lately which is fansubbed right now and that is pretty good.

They just released some battle of the planets ( old 70's anime ) that was pretty cool when I was a kid. Also, the Robotech dvds are good too..even though most anime fans hate it due to the fact they are essentially butchered versions of Southern Cross, Macross and Mos Espa..I like it though cause I was weened on it as a young anime fan.

If you into cars try to track down Intial D..they have it on Ebay for a decent price and it is a must see.I am not really into street racing but it kept my interest for the whole series...

cthm

Cowboy Bebop is great as well as Trigun, Big O and Lain.

i got all of those except big o on vcd. Any 1 an eva fan? Its one of my all time favorites (the movie is soooooo awesome!!!! ;D ;D ;D). i also like various gundam series, esacflowne even tho the movie kinda sucked (big robots r so fun ;D), and, of course, AKIRA!!!! i know its not a series, but its one of the best works of anime/manga ever made ;D.

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Ooookay..... here goes:

Real favourites:
Bastard!!, Evangelion, FLCL, Escaflowne, Neo Ranga, Now and Then Here and There, Vandread, Read or Die, Photon, Patlabor

And... good ones, but somewhat flawed:
Trigun, Bebop, Maze, Kodomo no Omocha, El Hazard, Lain, Gasaraki

And for humour:
Dragon Half, Excel Saga, Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran, Momorioi Sisters

Movies: Porco Rosso, Kiki's delivery service, Spriggan, Nausicae, Wings of Honanaise

Biggest disappointments so far:
Jin-Roh, Escaflowne the Movie, Weiss Kreuz, Saiyuki...

And... I have watched TONS of more... but well, these are the ones that struck me right away.

Damn my fingers are cold today...

Oh by the way, feel free to ask if there's anything in particular you wonder about... this might be a Berserk site, but we talk about a lot of things...

Here are some manga I read.
Rurouni Kenshin (Every Japanese college student I`ve talked to about anime knows this series. Shonen Jump has a new series called Grand Bagan which is a shameless ripoff of Kenshin.)
One Piece (Shonen Jump`s current flag ship. It`s about a really loud guy who likes meat. It is very easy to relate to him.)
Trigun (I think it`s better than the anime, but it does require quite a bit of patience as the art is rather stylized.)
Monster (It`s by the guy who did Yawara and Master Keaton. )
Gori O (Not really what I would call a good manga, but it`s got some pretty cool fight scenes and the hero looks like a monkey.)
Dragon Voice (Really shitty manga about a boy`s band. Lots of really bad English. Funny, funny stuff.)
Rave (Ha ha! Just kidding! This manga sucks.)

biggerthanzodd

mmm...banana
    Some Japanese authors I have liked in the past are Haruki Murakami, who has a slew of books translated in to English, some of which are very relevent and good, and Kyoji Kobayashi, who, though not often translated into English, writes very modern and interesting stuff. A sample of both of these writer's short stories can be found in Monkey Brain Sushi, a collection of modern Japanese short stories published by Birnbaum. If you enjoy the medieval setting of Berserk I could suggest an older title, The Tale of the Soga Brothers, the Thomas J. Cogan translation. It is a pretty important historical work and provides a fascinating read as well. I think that's published by the University of Tokyo Press, but I could be wrong.

Fishbomb

Where did you get that one? with subs? in europe?    ???

Just three episodes... :( :( :(

But damn! They were enough to blow me away... Unfortunately I live in the part of europe where Manga is... well... non existant. If I had been italian or french... then there might have been somethign!

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Just three episodes...  :( :( :(
And where did you get that 3?    ???
But damn! They were enough to blow me away...
yeah, I've already heard that from another source. A friend of mine felt sick after having watched them. they must me awesome    :p
Unfortunately I live in the part of europe where Manga is... well... non existant.
Well... we got something in common! Sweden and Austria is for sure not the place to get some animation or manga... and both regions are damn cold!    ;)

Fishbomb

And where did you get that 3?    ???

*grins* I downloaded them back when Elite-Fansubs were doing the fansubs... (at least I think it was them, I can remember wrong though.). Then the rights was bought by someone... and my first thought was. 'yeah right, like that is EVER going to get released in the states!'

*ponders* I know that a lot of people used to have them on IRC... but that was a year or so ago, things might have changed. I have no clue if they are uploaded to streamload... Mine is burned on disc.

There should be episodes floating around somewhere I guess... they were out for quite a while but I can't give you any proper adress... :-[

Hehehe sweden is frigid right now! Damn cold!

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Mine is burned on disc.
You have them?
WoW :eek:
Do you think you could upload them at some server?

On second thought... that's ridiculous. I am asking too much.
Forget about it. Forget me. I am not important :'(

Naaah. just fooling around. ;D

But if you hear something, It'd be cool if you could contact me. Thanks!

Fishbomb

Do you think you could upload them at some server?

On second thought... that's ridiculous. I am asking too much.
Forget about it. Forget me. I am not important    :'(

Hehehe... Where? That's the problem. The only sites I have are those lovely geocities pages, and there's not enough room there for episodes. I guess I might try to upload them to streamload.... You got that? If you're into downloading anime, that's the best way... of course it costs a bit but... makes life a lot easier.

Or I might jsut burn them on a disc and send you and save myself the trouble.. *grins* ;)

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
Lots...Its a dog eat dog world.  Extreme violence.  Power struggle. Love. Hope.  Both Heros want revenged.

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
This is a longshot but have any read Ironfist Chinmi? Its a great Kung Fu manga. I really like!! ;D

cthm

Lots...Its a dog eat dog world.  Extreme violence.  Power struggle. Love.  Hope.  Both Heros want revenged.

Too bad Berserk couldn’t fit in constant head explosions as well…….

silver

AAANIIIKIIIIIII!
Personal favorites:
Kodomo no Omocha
Now and Then
Goldenboy
Lain
Galaxy Express 999
Noir

If anyone is still looking for "Now and Then, Here and There", I have all 13 episodes.

Oh yeah... I think that this is my first time posting, but I've been lurking around this board for quite a while.

Fishbomb

If anyone is still looking for "Now and Then, Here and There", I have all 13 episodes.

Oh yeah... I think that this is my first time posting, but I've been lurking around this board for quite a while.

Well, welcome out of the land of lurkdom!!  ;D

Oh! Golden boy!! Of course, that should have been in the humour section. Damn I love that... *snickers*

Does anyone still want?.... *dies slowly* YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!! Please!!!!! Of course!!!! Any way possible... that is the ONE series I am truly desperate to see!!! Please contact me and we'll see if we can work soemthing out. I am so willing to pay money for that one.... By the way... is it subbed? *ponders* not that I really care... I want it anyway.

Trapped_Soul: Of course. I mean, it's just a disc to burn and send, not exactly brain surgery ennit? *grins* But if Silver can deliver.... oh boy.

Why I consider Trigun and Cowboy Bebop flawed:

Oookay.... I admit, I love them both dearly, but there are a few things that does make them less than perfect.

Trigun: First of all the animation is very variable. Some episodes are in gorgeous animation and detail, others are very simplistic and rushed. Also, there is a lot of variation in substance between the episodes, some are just there as fillers and... well, I might be picky, but I think it feels uneven at times. Top notch music and voice acting though. And the best episodes are very good, it's jsut that as a whole it is less than perfect.

Bebop: Top notch music. Great voice acting. I absolutely adore the animation. And the intro!! For someone into seventies movies like me it is pure bliss. So why flawed? The pacing. Not within the singular episodes, but as a whole. It seems to be two stories stitched together. One of Spike's past, with Vicious and that babe... One of the bebop's current crew, with Fay, Ed and that lovable dog, Ein. And unfortunately they never quite come together. Why? Because it ends too soon. The ending feels hurried, it left me feeling WTF? instead of feeling satisfied and happy like with Escaflowne. I have nothing against the ending episodes... it is just that it is a HUGE gap between the very end, and the period that came right before it. They should have had a second season, so they could delve more into Spike and Vicious, so that the ending could be as truly climaxing as it deserved to be. Right now almost every character seems to be more developed than they. There are some very great hints and flashbacks in the middle of the series, it builds up a tension and something to look forward to. The truth when it was revealed was just... flat. Hurried. As if they had realised: Shit! This thing will end in three episodes and we didn't get a contract for the next season! And vicious do so need to be more than just another bad guy with a cool haircut and voice actor...

Jin-Roh: Okay. I admit that the animation was very good. I liked the slow pacing as well, it felt very seventies, taking time to tell a story. But what I couldn't stand was those facist ideas that it represented. I just couldn't. Horrible. It's the same with Shirow... I admit that I like his drawings, I own most of the stuff he has done, I even enjoy them to some extent... but his political ideas, his glorification of the facists, the wonders of being a police, being in the right all the time... Nope. I can't stand it. Just like with Gladiator or Bravo Two Zero... No way! It just makes me want to smash them all with a huge sledge hammer, pouring gasoline over the remains and walk away flipping a lit match over my shoulder. It makes me feel dirty and violated at having to watch something like that...

Sorry for that rant... since I know that most people will have no clue to what I am talking about and just thinks that it is a cool anime with cool armors... Good for you! But for me... ueach! Just ignore me, I have no wish to start an argument...

Which reminds me: Did I mention that another one of my favourites was Outlaw Star? Hehe, that one rocks... Gooood pacing!

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Woa! :eek:
You got'em? :D
Sure do I what them! Just tell me when and where, who and how! I am as desperate as Fishbomb to see it!
cool!

Trigun: First of all the animation is very variable. Some episodes are in gorgeous animation and detail, others are very simplistic and rushed. Also, there is a lot of variation in substance between the episodes, some are just there as fillers and... well, I might be picky, but I think it feels uneven at times. Top notch music and voice acting though. And the best episodes are very good, it's jsut that as a whole it is less than perfect.

And "Bastard!" is any better?  Trigun does start out slow, but other than that, I have no idea what you're talking about.  If nothing else, the animation is totally consistent, and the themes and ideals the show represents are excellently developed.  Just because a series may have some episodes skirting the plot doesn't mean it's just a 'filler.'  In Trigun's case, it fleshes out the characters and provides background, defines the setting the plot is taking place in; considering how different Trigun is, episodes like these are necessary.  This is why Trigun is so exceptional, because it doesn't have a single episode that isn't significant in at least plot, character, or setting development.

Bebop: Top notch music. Great voice acting. I absolutely adore the animation. And the intro!! For someone into seventies movies like me it is pure bliss. So why flawed? The pacing. Not within the singular episodes, but as a whole. The ending feels hurried, it left me feeling WTF? instead of feeling satisfied and happy like with Escaflowne. I have nothing against the ending episodes... it is just that it is a HUGE gap between the very end, and the period that came right before it. . The truth when it was revealed was just... flat. Hurried. As if they had realised: Shit! This thing will end in three episodes and we didn't get a contract for the next season! And vicious do so need to be more than just another bad guy with a cool haircut and voice actor...

You're not understanding the basic theme of Bebop.  It's going for style, atmosphere, and realism, not some fairy tale adventure telling.  And your ignorance is reflected in your statement "As if they had realised: Shit! This thing will end in three episodes and we didn't get a contract for the next season!"  considering the fact the creator wasn't going to make any more Bebop, period, besides the movie, as he was already satisfied with achieving his artistic goals.  The ending made you think, "wtf?"  That's the point.  It made you -think-.  And any half-intelligent person would realize the ending was perfectly conclusive.  Though apparently you'd rather have entertainment.

Jin-Roh: But what I couldn't stand was those facist ideas that it represented. I just couldn't. Horrible. his political ideas, his glorification of the facists, the wonders of being a police, being in the right all the time... Nope. I can't stand it. Just like with Gladiator or Bravo Two Zero... No way! It just makes me want to smash them all with a huge sledge hammer, pouring gasoline over the remains and walk away flipping a lit match over my shoulder. It makes me feel dirty and violated at having to watch something like that...

Uhh...fascism?  That idea is so ridiculous I can only think it's a result of your inability to understand deeper themes and look beyond the bare surface of things (as evidenced by your previous criticism of Bebop).  Your crazy comments about the movie lead me to think you have some troubling issues.  It's like saying you want to pulverize Miura because his showing women being raped undermines gender equality and degrades their position in society.  Except even that analogy is an understatement of how insane your comments are.
 This movie had -nothing- to do with politics whatsoever, and, if you had even watched the movie (you lead me to think you didn't, with your ludicrous tangents into totally unrelated topics) you would have seen that Jin-roh is about the personal war between man's animal nature and his conscience, and investigates the idea of man not even having conscience.  It does this magnificently, in my opinion, but intellectual stimulation seems lost on you.

Top Bottom