Patreon mini-podcasts

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
By popular request, this is a thread dedicated to discussing our Patreon exclusive mini-podcast episodes. They're released monthly as a way to thank the generous donors who give back to Puella for her translations, and are meant to complement the public SkullKast episodes.

Three have been released so far:

Mini-Podcast 1: Reactions Over the Years
We turn back the dial to the beginning of the community (and even a little further!) to review some of our reactions to big Berserk events over the years.

Mini-Podcast 2: Drunk Podcast
Walter and I drink more than we normally do and then turn on the mics to discuss Berserk. @Gobolatula delivered us a list of questions that we must each answer, whether we want to or not.

Mini-Podcast 3: A Day in the Life of a SKnet Admin
How much time do we spend on the forum and talking about Berserk in our daily lives? What does it take to run a Berserk site for 20 years? Walter and I discuss these and more questions.

Thank you guys for the mini-episodes! I think this format is a very nice complement to the regular Skullcast. I for one can't wait for more episodes.

Mini-Podcast 2: Drunk Podcast
Walter and I drink more than we normally do and then turn on the mics to discuss Berserk. @Gobolatula delivered us a list of questions that we must each answer, whether we want to or not.

Really fun episode! It's nice to hear you guys at your most relaxed.:serpico:

I guess I'm biased, and not in a good way, but I was also reminded of Native American chants when hearing Aaz sing. :farnese: @Aazealh, are you taking requests for singing other songs in future podcasts? :iva:

Mini-Podcast 3: A Day in the Life of a SKnet Admin
How much time do we spend on the forum and talking about Berserk in our daily lives? What does it take to run a Berserk site for 20 years? Walter and I discuss these and more questions.

I thought that this episode was really informative. On a personal note, I check the forum the same way Aaz does. I guess I'm betrayed by my age as well.

One aspect of the life of an admin that I'm very interested in is the impact on your families. In Aaz' case, I guess there's not much (negative) impact, since both are fans of the series and both are members of the forum, but Walter's case is completely different. I'm not sure it's fair of me to ask about it, but I guess I'm asking anyway. :rakshas:

I'm not an admin, but I can say that by now my wife is pretty much used to my spending time on the forum, though she still makes comments about it, perhaps something like "again on the forum?"

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'm biased, and not in a good way, but I was also reminded of Native American chants when hearing Aaz sing. :farnese: @Aazealh, are you taking requests for singing other songs in future podcasts? :iva:

Absolutely not taking requests! And I hadn't listened to that song in years, but I still say it's a close enough rendition (and I couldn't really belt it out because it was late at night). I'd like to see you do better!

One aspect of the life of an admin that I'm very interested in is the impact on your families. In Aaz' case, I guess there's not much (negative) impact, since both are fans of the series and both are members of the forum, but Walter's case is completely different. I'm not sure it's fair of me to ask about it, but I guess I'm asking anyway. :rakshas:

I'm not an admin, but I can say that by now my wife is pretty much used to my spending time on the forum, though she still makes comments about it, perhaps something like "again on the forum?"

Well I'm a free man, I'm allowed to use electronic devices without supervision. :iva: More seriously, forum use doesn't take that much time outside of new episode releases. It's a commitment to be sure, but it's no big deal compared to the "standard" work/life balance issues more and more people seem to be dealing with.

Reactions: m

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you guys for the mini-episodes! I think this format is a very nice complement to the regular Skullcast. I for one can't wait for more episodes.

That's great to hear. I like the short format quite a bit. Can just sit down for one brief, focused topic and then bounce.

I would say there's little to no impact on my family (wife + 2 kids). It's no different from work, really. And since I do most of my intense forum responses during work time anyway (shhh :rakshas: ), they don't really notice. It's all just typing on a screen, after all. Most people these days have their phones out for Instagram/Twitter/Facebook, I don't really do any of that, so the forum and chatting with Aaz occupies that slot in my life.

Now the podcast, that does take up family time, since we record those on weekends. I've had to arrange for babysitters in the past so that I can have an uninterrupted time to record, but not since Covid. Still, after close to 10 years of doing it, my wife and kid(s) get it. Once a month I'm in my office yelling about Berserk into a microphone for 3h.

Reactions: m
Thank you @Aazealh and @Walter for your replies! :serpico:

Absolutely not taking requests! And I hadn't listened to that song in years, but I still say it's a close enough rendition (and I couldn't really belt it out because it was late at night). I'd like to see you do better!

Me? Sing that particular song better or at all? Impossible! :magni:

Still, after close to 10 years of doing it, my wife and kid(s) get it. Once a month I'm in my office yelling about Berserk into a microphone for 3h.

It's been almost ten years already? Time sure flies...

I just finished listening to the episode on Griffith's tactics and I have to say I really like the laser-focus of these episodes. Really nice!

Also, for a moment you had me wondering whether this was a solo episode. No Aaz until about the five minute mark! :schnoz:

Atocas

Voice in the Void
Nice episode indeed. I remember seeing some meme or video making fun of Griffith's "Guts-centric strategies" a few years ago, so this was a pretty interesting topic. (Griffith really seems to have the devil's own luck sometimes, eh? :void:)

Also, for a moment you had me wondering whether this was a solo episode. No Aaz until about the five minute mark! :schnoz:
Yup, same. I was pretty surprised when Aaz appeared out of nowhere.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Just couldn't get a word in. :iva: There's some more stuff I wanted to say too that ended up not fitting in, like how Miura gives us a nice aerial view of the setting in volume 4, or how he bothers drawing camps and divisions properly.

That aside, there’s a cool shot in volume 7 of Griffith riding at the front of his men, then being overtaken by Guts and the raiders. There’s a visually similar instance during the battle of Vritannis when Locus and his men come from either side in front of him to form an invincible vanguard against the Kushans. I thought it interesting to compare those two scenes.

Top Bottom