Phoenix Wright

Alright so I'm creating the needed Phoenix Wright thread that Aazealh's to lazy to start up. So far I've beaten them all and plan on getting the 4th also when its released despite that Phoenix is not the main character and takes on quite the bummy role. That disappoints me so far but who knows maybe it'll be good and show how life goes on afterwords in a way. I mean after all PW3 ended quite nicely so at least they aren't trying to top that. I'm petty much the type to sit there and finish it nonstop until it's done, just because it's that damn good and I'm compulsive like that but tell me you guys, what is it that draws you to the series or maybe repells you. Those who know me know I'm an Edgeworth fan in particular, but what about you guys? Shed some deserved light on the subject.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Before starting, I'd like to ask people to refrain on spoilers if possible (i.e. the use of spoiler tags is welcome), since some people haven't played the games so let's not lessen the many surprises the games contain.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the series myself. I've also finished all 3 games released so far, and am eagerly awaiting the fourth. I have to admit that I'm a bit bothered by the new cast of characters, though. I've tried to read as little as possible about the plot, but I've got this half-assed hope that the original characters won't just be making cameos, and in fact I'm hoping they'll come back in full force in future episodes (since the series' success doesn't seem to be declining).

Now about what I like or dislike about the games. Well, let's start with dislikes. I sometimes find the need to go through the exact path the developers want you to quite bothering. Like you've got this evidence that would work but it doesn't because it's not time yet or it's just not what you're supposed to use at the time. That doesn't happen too often, but when it does it's frustrating. There's also the move system, that allows you to change locations. It can feel a bit tiresome at times to have to go through places to reach others. Those aren't big qualms honestly. EDIT: Ah yeah, and the games feel a bit short to me, I always breeze through them. But I usually think the same of every game I like, so...

As for what I like... As surprising at that may be, I think one of my favorite elements in the game is the sheer "epicness" of it at times. It's a goddamn goofy lawyer simulation, but man, it's more epic than most games I've played that were about saving the world from complete destruction. And another fantastic thing about it that really contributes to this epic feeling is the music. It's just so fucking cool. The characters are also great. Caricatures of themselves, yet most have some deep moments, sometimes it's even moving. And most of all they're attaching. The English dialog is witty even though I'm certain it's under the original's level (too bad I can't read Japanese, once again...), and the plots are always pretty cool. They're often unrealistic and usually follow a certain formula but personally it's never bothered me. Honestly it's one of my favorite game series and I'm as excited about the new game coming out than I would be about franchises I've been following for 20 years.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Is there any game play footage anywhere? I'm still trying to figure out how this game actually works.

It's everywhere, shouldn't be hard to find.

Aazealh said:
I have to admit that I'm bit bothered by the new cast of characters, though. I've tried to read as little as possible about the plot, but I've got this half-assed hope that the original characters won't just be making cameos, and in fact I'm hoping they'll come back in full force in future episodes (since the series' success doesn't seem to be declining).
Same. I have read one or two important things, such as what happens with Phoenix, which I will refrain from saying since it is a spoiler, but my hopes are too high that the cast will return guns blazing. Esp when you think of the prosecutors seat, really no one does it well besides Edgeworth & Godot in my opinion, so I really don't want to play a bunch more one sided cases that really only route for yourself to win (or hate the other side) besides the whole story and everything in play. Such there is Franciska, which I hate with a passion and Von Karma but they are more annoying then enjoyable - and of course the glasses dork Payne made fun of in those Japanese con displays.
Aazealh said:
And another fantastic thing about it that really contributes to this epic feeling is the music. It's just so fucking cool. The characters are also great. Caricatures of themselves, yet most have some deep moments, sometimes it's even moving. And most of all they're attaching.
I agree, I love the soundtrack and I even got the orchestrated versions and all that for the hell of it. Everything is put together nicely to portray the characters and how they all tie into each other. Sure all the tie ins and stuff are a little unrealistic to be happening so often but it is a game after all. Also what they talk about could indeed happen for the most part; I like how you must pay attention to all the little details and really fight hard to understand and beat the case, which also can pull you even farther into the story and closer to the characters. The whole game by the end is indeed very moving and leaves you just so satisfied with beating/playing git,its hard to really describe other then epic

Also because I can I will bring up that Phoenix Drive H-game.. frankly all I'll say about that it that it's translation is so bad that thats really the only good part about it.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Is there any game play footage anywhere? I'm still trying to figure out how this game actually works.
Also here is some footage of gameplay:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iDlxeoSbTkI
its the first trial of the first game, so it's really not killing a whole lot, but for you dave bob, here you go and you get a breif intro and to see the Butz.. When something smells, it's usually the Butz

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TriFrog said:
Esp when you think of the prosecutors seat, really no one does it well besides Edgeworth & Godot in my opinion, so I really don't want to play a bunch more one sided cases that really only route for yourself to win (or hate the other side) besides the whole story and everything in play. Such there is Franciska, which I hate with a passion and Von Karma but they are more annoying then enjoyable - and of course the glasses dork Payne made fun of in those Japanese con displays.

Haha, well I kind of like Franziska myself. =) I think she was a tougher adversory than Godot to be honest, but yeah, she's also much more annoying while Godot is just cool and stuff. :guts:

TriFrog said:
Also because I can I will bring up that Phoenix Drive H-game.. frankly all I'll say about that it that it's translation is so bad that thats really the only good part about it.

Yeah, I checked it out back then and all I remember is that it was terrible.

Aazealh said:
Haha, well I kind of like Franziska myself. =) I think she was a tougher adversory than Godot to be honest, but yeah, she's also much more annoying while Godot is just cool and stuff. :guts:
you are a foolish fool playing foolishly foolish games
Annoying is an understatement lmao. This is also why I loved the end of 2 though, Edgeworth did a good thing to her haha.
But her character itself is not a bad thing, i will admit i like how headstrong she can be and it probably would be a bad thing to not have her around.

berserk.jpg
mimimi.png

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So, has anybody got Appollo Justice yet? Personally I haven't and probably won't for a little while since I've got a lot of titles queued, but I'll take some opinions on it if there are any. :guts:

Needless to say, please avoid posting spoilers without tagging them appropriately.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:
So, has anybody got Appollo Justice yet? Personally I haven't and probably won't for a little while since I've got a lot of titles queued, but I'll take some opinions on it if there are any. :guts:

Needless to say, please avoid posting spoilers without tagging them appropriately.

IGN gave it a good review, I thought the whole Phoenix Wright thing would have gotten played out by now. I'm kinda 50/50 on buying it, but I'll probably pass and stick it out with Professor Layton.(The Phoenix Wright Killer!)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
I'm kinda 50/50 on buying it, but I'll probably pass and stick it out with Professor Layton.(The Phoenix Wright Killer!)

The two series aren't really the same thing at all. I like both. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aaz said I should pick up PW, so that's what I'll be doing on my dinner break tonight. I should start at the beginning of the series... right?

Just completed the first of the series, and I must say I was completely caught by surprise by the sheer entertainment value of this game.

I recommend this to anyone who likes detective stories or courtroom dramas, you most definitely will have fun with this series.

Also, I think Phoenix Wright does very well to bridge that gap between the passivity of reading a book and the engagement of an actual videogame. So when you feel don't feel active enough to engage in some action game, or don't feel like sitting down to read or watch a movie, I think PW fits that gap perfectly.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Next game in the series will be Gyakuten Kenji and it'll focus around the investigations of Miles Edgeworth and Dick Gumshoe. Apparently it'll bring some changes in the gameplay too, for example during the crime investigation phases of the game, we'll see the characters move around on the screen instead of the usual first person view. Like in traditional adventure games basically. The guys at Famitsu seem quite impressed with the quality of the animations, so it'll be something to look forward to.

Scans of the article:

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/23156_iup590202_122_566lo2.jpg
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/23159_iup590204_122_1047lo2.jpg

Personally I can't wait. :guts:

Aazealh said:
Next game in the series will be Gyakuten Kenji and it'll focus around the investigations of Miles Edgeworth and Dick Gumshoe.
Personally I can't wait. :guts:

Awesome, I can't wait either. The new stuff they did with Apollo Justice wasn't bad, such as the 3D animations, "Perception" techniques, jury system & past/future scenario was a nice touch to add a little "flair" to the game rather then having it be the same system. Hopefully the "point-and-click adventure, versus a graphical text adventure." in the next Gyakuten Kenji will also be good. I have to wonder if Phoenix will somehow make an appearance in this one too, either way it seems gumshoe will hit them all.

D:!

Oh my god. I need that game.

I love the Ace Attorney series. :) Apollo Justice isn't my favorite but I still enjoyed it overall. The third in the series so far my favorite.

Top Bottom