Seven Samurai 3-Disc Edition

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57572

Finally, what's been rumored for years is being released stateside: a remastered Seven Samurai. While it also has a bunch of other nerdy goodies, I'm interested in the new transfer. I'll admit though, I really had no problems with the earlier Criterion release. I'd always assumed it was perfect. The graininess has sort of grown on me over the years... Will this glossier imposter live up to the original glory?

Regardless, can't wait 'till September :guts:

[Thanks to Slightly Green for the URL]

Fuckin Hottttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!          :guts: Toshiro Mifune!!!!! :guts:
SevenSamurai276.jpeg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
FateINwaiting said:
You guys hear about the new Samurai 7 movie remake?
Yeah, but if you think it's going to be awesome, I'm afraid you just walked into a lion's den.

Anybody seen the anime, Samurai 7? I'm about halfway through it and am enjoying. Haven't seen the movie that it's inspired from though.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Art they bastardized you mean; fucking gross, dwarf. Seriously, I looked it up on google images and I think I want to kill myself.

They even put Kurosawa's name on it, couldn't they have just copied the idea like so many other hacks without dragging the original down into the mud and soiling his name? Did they have to ride it this bad?

180px-Kurosawa-akira.jpg
Samurai%207.png

"THANKS, FUCK YOU TOO!"                                                            ​

Final Samurai VII 2 eXtreme! *BAAARFFFFF!!!*

CnC

Ad Oculos
wow, never really heard of the anime. What a piece of garbage (I judge these things by their cover, of course). Why'd they put Kurusawa's name on it? huh?
Seeing that sort of thing makes me want to vomit, quite honestly.

Griffith

I pity the unwashed fools CnC, but we shouldn't even talk about this bad rubbish. The 3 disc set looks promising... lets focus on that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
So I guess I should make it a point to check it out. How's the action?
It's my favorite movie. And many film buffs still herald it the "greatest action movie of all time." But it's not your traditional action movie. Don't expect LETHAL WEAPON or anything... The action is stylized with realism. The majority of the fights you'll see are what would probably have occurred during the time period; unskilled farmers wielding weapons. But we do get several glimpses of some real masters at work (though, superficially the most "skilled" of the samurai was a shoe salesman in real life, and was trained in just a few days XD ).

The power of the movie to me, is in Kurosawa's craft. Every little facet works together in this movie like precision clockwork, and his effort shows. It's also one of those rare films that can keep both film nerds and general movie-goers on the edges of their seats.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
Well then, looks like I'll be making it a point to check this out once this new version of the movie arrives.
Why wait? You can get it at any respectable video store. This new edition is just for nerds like us that've seen it a billion times, and crave those extra commentaries and features.

S

Some Guy

The Seven Samurai was director Akira Kurasawa one of his crowning achievments and is one of my all-time favorite films.  2 extra discs is a lot and you couldn't really ask for better.  I'm with Walter though, as I'm very interested in seeing the restored, digital transfer, as well as the "new and improved subtitles" :carcus:

FateINwaiting said:
You guys hear about the new Samurai 7 movie remake?

Wasn't there already a remake: The Magnificent Seven?

And putting Akira Kurasawa's name on what is looks like 2nd rate cash-in is definitely not cool :puck:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Knight  o' Skeleton said:
 The Seven Samurai was director Akira Kurasawa one of his crowning achievments and is one of my all-time favorite films.  2 extra discs is a lot and you couldn't really ask for better.  I'm with Walter though, as I'm very interested in seeing the restored, digital transfer, as well as the "new and improved subtitles" :carcus:

Wasn't there already a remake: The Magnificent Seven?

And putting Akira Kurasawa's name on what is looks like 2nd rate cash-in is definitely not cool :puck:

And dont forget the other remake I think its either Korean or Taiwanese... The 7 swords!

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Pretty much all the Akira Kurosawa's films have been remade into American Cowboy movies (Magnificent Seven, The Man with no Name series, etc). Not to mention Star Wars ep 4 is basically a remake of Hidden Fortress.

If you're getting pissed about people ripping of Seven Samurai, you're a few decades late.

Course, back then they actually made pretty decent ripoffs.

As far as this new transfer, I dunno. It's a black and white Samurai film, the grainy transfer of the original criterion release is just fine as I'm concerned. I guess for people who don't already have it, this is a pretty decent deal.

Griffith

Yeah, he's influenced many and had homage paid to him countless times, but we're talking putting the man's fucking name on some cheesedick anime fuckfest for faggots going to fagcon to fuck each other in the ass with their backwards Kenshin swords, or I guess dressed up as the whatever passes for "Kikuchiyo" now.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :carcus:

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
"Griffith No More!" said:
Yeah, he's influenced many and had homage paid to him countless times, but we're talking putting the man's fucking name on some cheesedick anime fuckfest for faggots going to fagcon to fuck each other in the ass with their backwards Kenshin swords, or I guess dressed up as the whatever passes for "Kikuchiyo" now.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :carcus:
Hey gUyz, eny1 played teh 7 Smaurai 20XX game?!/!1 I herd it rAWks!!1!!11 :troll: :casca: :troll:

Now that I've thrown a grenade in the beehive, I think I'll finally get of me arse and watch this movie, I'm far overdue. Nice to hear they're remastering it, they need to keep the classics alive.

Top Bottom