Seven Samurai: 50th Anniversary Poster

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Around this time last year, I discovered what, in my opinion is the greatest poster ever made. The version you will see on that link is the only version I have ever, ever been able to find. It's a measly 300px high and is not even a slightly reasonable candidate to send to Kinko's for them to blow up to a poster-size. This is my goal.

I even went so far as to drive to the film festival that the poster was paired with JUST to see if I could get my sloppy, Kurosawa-fanboy hands on the poster. However, the people running the film there had no idea what poster I was talking about.

Which brings us to now, my best efforts at reinventing the poster from scratch, using my Criterion DVD of Seven Samurai as the source:

seven_sam_original.jpg
seven_sam_small.jpg
The Original
My Reinvention (large)

As I began to grab screen captures, I realized quickly that my DVD source, and the poster's were different. Mifune's head is visible on the left-most portion of the frame in the original's source, in mine it is cropped off. Shimura has much more white space visible on the original, and not mine. In addition, the rain didn't come through NEARLY as well as I'd hoped. This all leads me to believe there is an even higher quality version than the Criterion out there... somewhere. In addition, there were three seperate frames I couldn't find anywhere, after over twenty frame by frame reviews of the entire final battle. Those I could not replicate, I added my own choices in. Seriously, who's going to know the difference other than those who read this post?

Despite the difficulties in re-creation, in the end, I'm perfectly content with the finished product and I am currently researching the methods necessary to get it blown up, poster-size on my wall.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Looks like a lot of those frames might be from the trailer.. IIRC the trailer/teaser for that movie had different shots and takes than the finished product. Example, http://www.sprout.org/toshiro/images/lastsamurai/sevensamurai5.jpg is that center shot...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
Looks like a lot of those frames might be from the trailer.. IIRC the trailer/teaser for that movie had different shots and takes than the finished product. Example, http://www.sprout.org/toshiro/images/lastsamurai/sevensamurai5.jpg is that center shot...
Awesome find! However, in my zeal, I've already ordered a huge poster print of my "finished" version. >:( v2.0?

I don't think your conclusion that there's a better DVD out there is correct. Movie posters are inevitably edited from their movie-still versions. The differences between the two are pretty dramatic, but it's done regularly since what works in a movie doesn't always work in a one-frame poster.

Here's an example from the movie "Hero", slated for release in the US Aug. 27th (I highly recommend it, too):
http://www.empiremovies.com/posters.php?id=367

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Denial said:
I don't think your conclusion that there's a better DVD out there is correct. Movie posters are inevitably edited from their movie-still versions. The differences between the two are pretty dramatic, but it's done regularly since what works in a movie doesn't always work in a one-frame poster.
But this wasn't made back in 1954, or even by Toho studios. This was made by a fan, like me. The sources should be the same.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
My best guess really is that the poster was made from frames from the original trailer and/or shots from books on Kurosawa.

As for the 'better DVD,' no matter how nice a DVD transfer is, it's not going to have as much visual information in each frame as the physical film does. Hence the rain not 'popping' like it would in a photo.

Maybe try writing to the guys that put that site together to find out who did the gfx and where they got the source images. I found most of them as stills on a quick google image search (yum, Toshiro Mifune). Do you know if that ever was a poster, or if it's a graphic the guys put together at that size from images they found online? If that's all it is, then if you wanted a higher res version, that'll be a bit more of a slog. You'll have to find where the online pics came from and if they exist at a better resolution.

PS, Denial, HELL YEAH, looking forward to seeing that on the big screen!

Top Bottom