Swine flu spreads sickness, death, alarm.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, everyone is going on with their lives, I think the WHO has struck a decent balance warning people and acting as a voice of reason.

CowTip said:
consider that Swine flu has absolutely no known cure

And yet I've read on several occasions that Tamiflu (used for avian flu) has been effective against swine flu.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Yeah tamiflu seems to be working.

take a look at what Paris hilton has to say about swine flu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jevcRwhjJJU

Well it's at Level 5 now, 6 is the highest.

Aazealh said:
As for being influenced by the media, where I live people aren't making a big deal out of it.
I just heard France suspended all flights to Mexico.
In Chile anyone coming in from Mexico is taken directly to a hospital to get checked out. But I don't know how much good that does, as someone can fly from Mexico to NY then to Chile...do they get checked too?

It's hard to stop disease.

I don't think now is the time to turn your nose up to the media. Yes, I'm sure the more people who watch their station the better it is for them. But I rather tune in for shit like this than...
Th3Branded0ne said:
take a look at what Paris hilton has to say about swine flu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jevcRwhjJJU
...or who is fucking who in Hollywood :schierke:

Will someone bring in the dream team already??
outbreak.gif

All kidding aside we aren't talking about Motaba here, it's not like we don't have anything to combat Swine Flu.
"Two antiviral drugs — Relenza, made by GlaxoSmithKline and Tamiflu, made by Roche AG — have been shown to work against the H1N1 swine flu strain."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/29/swine.flu/index.html

The World Health Organization raised its pandemic alert to 5, its second-highest level Wednesday, indicating the outbreak of swine flu that originated in Mexico is nearing widespread human infection.

Dr. Margaret Chan, the U.N. agency's director-general, said the decision to raise the alert to 5 on its 6-point scale indicated that all countries should "immediately" activate pandemic preparedness plans.
So... is this still just on the level of media hype? :griffnotevil:

Griffith

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20090429/at-least-91-swine-flu-cases-in-us

During today's joint news conference, a reporter asked why officials are so concerned about the new flu virus, given the fact that normal seasonal flu kills an average of 36,000 people in the U.S. during a typical flu season.

The reason is that it's a new, unpredictable virus that "has pandemic potential," Fauci replied. "It really is something different."

"This is a serious virus, this is a serious outbreak," Besser agreed.

"You don't know if it's going to fizzle out in a couple weeks or become more or less virulent or severe in the diseases it causes," Besser said. "If we could see into the future, that would be wonderful. But that's not the case. That's why we're being aggressive."

This was before they upgraded to level 5.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Start getting out your Zombie survival guide out and get in a few more games of Left 4 Dead all. Its going to be go time soon! :troll:

Griffith

The latest CDC numbers:

New York: 51 cases
Texas: 16 cases
California: 14 cases
Kansas: 2 cases
Massachusetts: 2 cases
Michigan: 2 cases
Arizona: 1 case
Indiana: 1 case
Nevada: 1 case
Ohio: 1 case

Nothing in Minnesota yet... When I think of the perfect place for this to spread here, I think of the Mall of America. I swear every time I go there I come home with a cold.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Got the first one here on Arizona. Griffith already mentioned it, in his list. The boy already recovered, but for precaution they closed the school for an entire week and clean it up just in case.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Proj2501 said:

Repost.

I'm already a reclusive person, almost an hermit, i rarely leave the house (only during the night), and the only people i see all week is my girlfriend (only on weekends, and she's a doctor lmao), and my granny, which i visit periodically; but if she phones me saying she's feeling ill, i'll just send some flowers and a safe trip note. :troll:

Oh, can cats get it? And pass it to us? Cause i have a pussy.

NightCrawler said:
I'm already a reclusive person, almost an hermit, i rarely leave the house (only during the night), and the only people i see all week is my girlfriend (only on weekends, and she's a doctor lmao), and my granny, which i visit periodically; but if she phones me saying she's feeling ill, i'll just send some flowers and a safe trip note. :troll:

Gaypost

NightCrawler said:
Repost.

Same here but I still caught something when I went to CT/NY area that ONE time. I'm fine now. I checked myself in to my doctor next day to see what I had. They gave me the total quarantine treatment. Wore a mask stuck me in a room not much. Eventually, they found I just had a severe stomach virus. I had to go to make sure. I mean even though it may be all hype you can never be certain. But what a bad thing I had. Fucking high fever, vomiting, liquid poo, pounding headache, weakness, nausea.....

Also, unknown if pets can pass on the virus. I already tried looking for that online since I have a dog. Pussy comment was a little much man.....

Griffith

Glad to see your illness was just a coincidence and you're okay, ori. It's interesting that the rest of the world is actually taking way more precautions at this point, perhaps because they figure it's more containable where they are, or perhaps because we're simply used to cowboying up and not dealing with big problems until they become big problems. Obama even compared closing the borders now to "shutting the barn doors after the horses have run out." Uhhh, yeah, it's exactly... nothing like that (did Dubya give you that line? =). It makes me wonder if bird flu would have been a pandemic if it could have just had a major human outbreak in the Americas.

Anyway, it's hit home for me, 2 cases in my hometown that is, so it's not just something happening "over there." I just hope if I catch it, it's before it mutates and I have some immunity for the coming super virus. :carcus:

If I die from this, will you guys name one of the subforums after me? "El Gaucho Rojo's Manga Mausoleum" rolls right off the tongue. :carcus:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
The one here in PHoenix was found in a school ten miles from where I live. My bro just came last night with flu symptoms. I hope he took the advice this morning and went to the doctor's to get it checked.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Eleven cases have been announced in Washington, with several of those situated in my area. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :SK:

Griffith

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/un_who_swine_flu

GENEVA – The World Health Organization announced Thursday it will would stop using the term "swine flu" to avoid confusion over the danger posed by pigs. The policy shift came a day after Egypt began slaughtering thousands of pigs in a misguided effort to prevent swine flu.
Egypt began slaughtering its roughly 300,000 pigs Wednesday even though experts said swine flu is not linked to pigs and not spread by eating pork. Angry farmers protested the government degree.

Nice to see the third world continuing to do what they do. No word yet if the rumor is true that they're going to slaughter their sheep next and smear the blood on their doors. =)

Top Bottom