Things you disliked when you were younger but learned to like overtime

Parkus

Keep pushing no matter what
I don't think something like this has been posted before since nothing showed up when I searched it, if it has, then my mistake.

But on to the topic of this thread, just a small but simple answer, tomatoes, I just hated these red circular guys, I only got into eating them because I forced myself to since I didn't want to be much of a picky eater when it came to a lot of things. I still kind of gag a little when I eat them from time to time but I still finish them up.

(Also this thread doesn't have to be specifically about food)

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Coffee, whiskey. Both are the definition of an acquired taste.

But on to the topic of this thread, just a small but simple answer, tomatoes, I just hated these red circular guys, I only got into eating them because I forced myself to since I didn't want to be much of a picky eater when it came to a lot of things. I still kind of gag a little when I eat them from time to time but I still finish them up.

Oh wow, that seems insane to me. I love tomatoes. Unfortunately there's a lot of crappy ones out there nowadays, grown out of season and with no taste whatsoever. Homegrown veggies are the way to go. I guess in a similar fashion, for a few years as a kid I thought I didn't like rice, but it turns out I just had never eaten good rice. I actually love it.

fish, alcohol in general
i think I am still not very fond of either, but u know...it takes awhile for someone to adjust to these, I only enjoy particular fish nowadays. Sushi is great too!

I'm not that old but the taste for coffee and wine came with time (still can't drink whiskey though!).
The converse is interesting too: for some time now I find some food to be too sweet to my taste, despite the fact that I used to binge candies until my late teens.
In a different fashion, I feel like you get more patient with time and that can grow a taste for solving problems, reading and so on.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
As a kid I wasn't regularly exposed to many different foods. We didn't eat out very often, and my mom stuck to a handful of recipes. To her credit, she became a much better cook once she started branching out in later years.

But as a result, I first had Mexican food (just Tex-Mex, honestly...) when I was about 10. Sushi? 18. So there were very few foods that were so foreign and unfamiliar that I refused to eat them. Pretty much everything had butter and gravy on it. Even my first experiences with pizza were a homemade variety, with CHEDDAR cheese and GROUND BEEF with TOMATO PASTE. If I was willing to eat that, what wouldn't I eat?

But of the ones that I now love and didn't love as a kid—salads. There are still particular vegetables I don't like, such as onions (too overpowering, imo), but "salad as a meal" has been a relatively new option for me. And as a kid I would have said: "Fuck your salad, where's the meat?"

In a different fashion, I feel like you get more patient with time and that can grow a taste for solving problems, reading and so on.

Yep, I didn't start drinking coffee until I was about 35 or so. Now it's a regular start to my day.

Since the OP didn't specify food only, I will say two things I didn't like or appreciate as a child but adore now as an adult are poetry and paintings.

I still look back with horror to my high school self, who hated literature classes and didn't give a crap about all the cool poems we were taught. (To be fair to myself though, Shakespeare was love at first read; Macbeth was awesome).

As for paintings, I went to the Louvre when I was 14 and I mostly remember the disappointing first encounter with the Mona Lisa. While I still don't like that particular painting too much, I would love to visit that museum again now that I have more appreciation for art. The Louvre was definitely a wrongly timed experience in my life.

And yeah, coffee too I suppose.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah sorry:sweatdrop: I was in a little bit of a rush when I was making this thread and forgot to say that this thread didn't have to be specifically about food.

This is a shock, I've never met a person who disliked fish, though, of course we all have our different tastes.
I think it really is a factor of where you live. If you are in a landlocked region, access to fresh fish is low/expensive. So you get the pre-frozen variety, and it's just not the same...

This is a shock, I've never met a person who disliked fish, though, of course we all have our different tastes.
Well do you ask everyone you meet whether they like fish?
I think it can taste AMAZING but it can also taste like the worst thing, especially on pizzas, fish pizzas are ugh

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
I would like to say beer, but here in Germany you basically start with your first beers after conformation which is at the age of 14 or so - so still young. I've been drinking coffee since around 14 as well. (Damn I'm beginning to sound like a 50yo, overworked construction or shift worker... I don't smoke though!)

So to answer the post: Probably Olives!

But on to the topic of this thread, just a small but simple answer, tomatoes, I just hated these red circular guys,
That's funny, I have a lot of friends that feel the same. They also despise cucumbers which is even more weird to me, as it is basically only water :???:

My rural village. Growing up, we would spend most of the year in a village stuck inside a hot temperatured valley and there was absolutely NOTHING to do besides visit the rich relative's massive farm and play with the livestock. On an extreme day, maybe chase a herd of donkeys or so...
When my siblings and I started to grow up and school was a necessary thing to attend; My dad finally agreed to do what most of our extended relatives did with their own families and finally migrate to the city.

Flash forward to years later. We have a custom where most families would only visit the village back a month per year in the summer. And even then it's not enough, because it's been 4 years since my last visit and I had to skip on a visit every summer since... In my second year of college nowadays and realizing how hectic everything has become; I only wish for the piece and quiet that village brought.. Even the houses weren't that shabby thinking back on it and everyone who still somehow lives there is peaceful and friendly haha also

But of the ones that I now love and didn't love as a kid—salads. There are still particular vegetables I don't like, such as onions (too overpowering, imo), but "salad as a meal" has been a relatively new option for me. And as a kid I would have said: "Fuck your salad, where's the meat?"
No idea why salads get the bad rep they do.

I love them!

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
I used to heavily dislike tomatoes as well lol. I also hated cucumbers and avocados, but now I love all three vegetables. As far as physical activities, go, I used to play sports in high school and dreaded going to the gym because of how sore and tense I would feel the next day. Now, I go to the gym every day and have come to love that after-workout soreness.

I used to heavily dislike tomatoes as well lol. I also hated cucumbers and avocados, but now I love all three vegetables. As far as physical activities, go, I used to play sports in high school and dreaded going to the gym because of how sore and tense I would feel the next day. Now, I go to the gym every day and have come to love that after-workout soreness.
Gotta agree with you on avocados and the gym. I love avocados now, and going to the gym/lifting weights has been my favorite hobby for years now. I was a very shy and skinny kid growing up, so naturally I dreaded going to the gym, but then I grew to love it. It's safe to say that it changed the course of my life and personal development. It was also a great way of bonding with my dad, we had hundreds of workout sessions together before he passed away. Unfortunately I haven't been able to lift weights for over a year now due to some long-term health issues. It's torture. :judo:

I still hate tomatoes...

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
Gotta agree with you on avocados and the gym. I love avocados now, and going to the gym/lifting weights has been my favorite hobby for years now. I was a very shy and skinny kid growing up, so naturally I dreaded going to the gym, but then I grew to love it. It's safe to say that it changed the course of my life and personal development. It was also a great way of bonding with my dad, we had hundreds of workout sessions together before he passed away. Unfortunately I haven't been able to lift weights for over a year now due to some long-term health issues. It's torture. :judo:

I still hate tomatoes...
I wish you a full recovery.

Top Bottom