This here's 'Merica, and we read our funnybooks left to right!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Jeff Goldblum Fan said:
I'm pretty convinced that people who like Alan Moore only do so so they can seem Intelligent and Cultured, Ahem, in front of their peers or something. Yeah, he wrote a few good things. He still isn't very good overall, and he's probably the most overrated author ever.

By that token, you could be accused trying to prove something by your adamant dismissal of his work, backing it up with only unnamed "millions of other piles of shit," by which you apparently mean work like Watchmen. Anyway, more likely than everyone being hypnotized by Moore's fame or infamy is that many have probably cherry picked his best material while you've read more of his less regarded works and hold those against him, which is fair to a certain point. Though, I'm all for peak performance over consistency when it comes to singular works; if one can produce anything in their career that can be regarded as a masterpiece they're ahead of the game in my book, and Moore has several.

MrWeatherby said:
it irks me when people say it's a defining comic for the character when it really goes against the grain in a lot of places.

Well, if it didn't go against the grain somewhat it wouldn't add anything to define, or redefine, the character.

Jeff Goldblum Fan said:
I'm starting to think the Eastern Promises guy is just trolling me and saying the opposite of everything I say. :troll:

Fixed. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff Goldblum Fan said:
I'm pretty convinced that people who like Alan Moore only do so so they can seem Intelligent and Cultured, Ahem, in front of their peers or something. Yeah, he wrote a few good things. He still isn't very good overall, and he's probably the most overrated author ever.

Please stop this posturing, it's not fooling anyone. And please don't accuse anyone of being wacky for the sake of it when it's what your entire contribution to this forum amounts to.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
The only Ennis series I followed was Punisher Max, and The Boys. I lost interest in The Boys, a little while in, and now I'm just glad I stopped following it. I've checked out his other series, but I just didn't find them as interesting as I would have hoped. Even Preacher, the series he is most touted for, seems to drag a little too long in the middle and go way to far with sexual problems of the villains in series. This is exactly why I didn't like The Boys, all bad guys had some bizarre over the top sexual problems.

On the other hand, Moore, has a much more consistent history (for me) when it comes to telling a good story. I might not have liked his works as much as Punisher Max, but I can at least when I read his other works and know they'll most likely be worth my time.

Anyways if you haven't given Punisher Max a try, do so.
Also Planetary is a good read!

Oburi

All praise Grail
NightCrawler said:
Just for the record, i'm not this troll "Jeff Goldblum Fan".
Jeff Goldblum Fan said:
I'm starting to think the Eastern Promises guy is just trolling me and saying the opposite of everything I say.

Holy shit, lol. Either NightCrawler has finally cracked and gone schizo or he's met his comic book villain.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Griffith said:
Well, if it didn't go against the grain somewhat it wouldn't add anything to define, or redefine, the character.

Somewhat, yeah. But giving a sympathetic backstory to the Joker is a lot more than "somewhat." I think TDK found a good balance by allowing the Joker do to his whole "my past is multiple choice" bit while not going completely overboard. Killing Joke focused so much on the Red Hood part that it heavily implies it being what really happened to him.

Top Bottom