What Anime/Manga have people gone through recently?

Sparnage said:
I like ninja scroll!!!!
I think the most overrated anime series out would either be neon genesis or the gundam series.

I just bought the ninja scroll anniversary edition DVD, I saw the first 5 mins of the DVD and it looks kick ass!! it actually looks like it was made a few years ago.

Neon genesis is alright, i rent it every now and then. Not bad, but not the best either. As you may have read on other threads, i am still debating wether or not to watch End of Evangelion.

Regarding Gundam, what series are you speaking of? My friend's favorite anime is Gundam Stardust Memories (the old 80s one). If you're talking about gundam seed, i agree with you it's crap. Crappy enemies, whiny main character, crappy dub and 3d make it a shitty, overrated series.

For me, I'm going through:

Yakitate!! Japan, Bleach, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (yes, the '82), Tsubasa Chronicles, Beck, School Rumble and Escaflowne.

For manga, I just started Blade of the Immortal. It's sooo sick, it actually became my second favorite series (second only to berserk of course ;)), kick ass artwork, lots of sweet fights make it a sweet series, but story is where it becomes my second favorite. I'm gonna start reading X/1999 soon, and i'm also reading xxxHolic.

Psymont 2.0 said:
anyone care to explain the ending of full metal alchemist?

???

Basically, Ed and Al are on different worlds, and they continue on their ways to get back to each other (anything more than that, and it would require a 3 paragraph summary....and too many spoilers).

I've recently finished Samurai Champloo and Mai-Hime, and am now watching Sunabouzu and Naruto.

ha the movie... i sure hope it gives it better closure... are you sure it continues the story? it could be one of those damn stand alone filler movies... there were planes though... so probably...

i just began watching "hajime no ippo"... i am upto epi 26 in just 2 sittings... it is addictive in the same unexplainable way that "hiraku no go" was... i guess these animes are catchy cause they are like your own personal gigapet... just watch em grow

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I blew my way through BLAME! a while ago (it was difficult to find, since Omanga took it down and it's coming out in English in about two months). Awesome, simply awesome. After spoiling myself on Berserk and BLAME!, most average manga just looks like garbage (it all looks the same and has the exact same few settings!). Luckily, the author/artist is working on other stuff too that's set in the same world, namely Biomega, so I should be able to sate my appetite.

I also bought the OVA's, which just came out in English. Awesome animation and visuals, but they're very confusing if you haven't read the manga, not to mention that there are a few plot errors.

I've been meaning to get the volumes in Japanese, as well as English when it comes out, but very few online stores carry the manga and after an encounter with Buyrite, I'm tentative about who gets my money.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
I've been meaning to get the volumes in Japanese, as well as English when it comes out, but very few online stores carry the manga and after an encounter with Buyrite, I'm tentative about who gets my money.

You won't have a problem with these guys. You can also ask them for custom stuff in they don't have a product listed.

Nippon-Export

Vaxillus

Coincedentally, that was the only website I found that carried it. I'm glad they're trustworthy though. Thanks.

Vaxillus said:
After spoiling myself on Berserk and BLAME!, most average manga just looks like garbage (it all looks the same and has the exact same few settings!). 

Everything exept Blade of the Immortal. BEST... ARTWORK... EVER!!!!!!! lol. But seriously, Berserk's artwork pales in comparison's to Blade of the Immortal's. Although Berserk is still better overall ;D. Anyways, try that if you're bored with average mangas.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Void Swordsman said:
But seriously, Berserk's artwork pales in comparison's to Blade of the Immortal's.
I wouldn't say Berserk's artwork pales in comparison to BotI especially with some of the newer chapters(with the exception of the panel's you can tell are done by the assistants), just a different style. Though I do agree that Blade of the Immortal is drawn very well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, though I would be the first to awe at BotI's artwork, I don't think that Berserk's art pales in comparison. The style is different, but the technical level of some panels in Berserk is just amazing... Crazy crosshatching and all. Since we're talking about artwork, Vagabond is also a sight to behold.

Yeah, I guess you're right, Berserk does have it's moments. And as I'm reading more BotI, I'm noticing that Berserk's artwork is a whole lot neater and refined. I also like how both of these mangas have more sketchy style art rather than most other series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Void Swordsman said:
And as I'm reading more BotI, I'm noticing that Berserk's artwork is a whole lot neater and refined.

Yeah, different styles. There are so many different styles really, it's hard to compare them objectively, impossible even. There's just good art and bad art, and when it's really good, it becomes a matter of personal appreciation.

Anyone seen the anime Karas it's only one episode released on OVA it's available on http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/577.html. It's going to be six episode total.

It has some crazy ass fighting scenes and the animation is freaking great. The story is a bit confusing though.

I just finished Pita Ten, and it was a whole lot better than I first thought... man thats some great humour...almost as good as Azumanga Daioh or School Rumble...

Vaxillus

ZODDGUTSU said:
Anyone seen the anime Karas it's only one episode released on OVA it's available on http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/577.html. It's going to be six episode total.

It has some crazy ass fighting scenes and the animation is freaking great. The story is a bit confusing though.
Wow, what a terrible format. The sound was screwed up and the framerate kept getting bogged down. Definately looked great, but I question the accuracy of the translation. Also, how many god dammed series have to be named 'Crow'? We've got a movie in the US, that crazy OVA, and I know of a comic or something called Crow that I have yet to find a hard copy of. I enjoyed it, but it seems to jab at all of my pet peeves.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Vaxillus said:
Also, how many god dammed series have to be named 'Crow'? We've got a movie in the US, that crazy OVA, and I know of a comic or something called Crow that I have yet to find a hard copy of. I enjoyed it, but it seems to jab at all of my pet peeves.
You do know that the movie "The Crow" was based upon James O Barr's Comic right?
There are also A number of fanfic novels with the same name, again based upon James O Barr's comic.

Vaxillus

That wasn't even the comic I was refering to, so the list is still at 3.  The comic I'm thinking of is from somewhere in Asia.  It's by this artist: http://www.tatoomcity.net/summer06.htm

mangas im currently reading:

Gantz
Death Note
X - Gene
Naruto
Berserk (#1)
Blade of the Immortal

anime im watching:
Bleach
Naruto (i wish it was up to date with the manga)
Beck ( :) good series)
Furi Kuri (weird cool series)
Tenjou Tenge ( im going to start waching that today)
Elfen Lied

Vaxillus

I tried reading Gantz because I know it has a lot of fans, and I will say it's very entertaining. It's very hard to stop reading, because just about every episode ends in a cliffhanger. Despite this, I found it really didn't have any other redeeming qualities. The art is very good, but very dull as well (sorta like Death Note but with less style), and the monsters/aliens are the dumbest things I've ever seen. What's worse is they keep killing off the cool characters (other than the two guys) before there's any character development. Also, the main character is very annoying, and the story really starts to get repetitive after a while.

Basically, worth the read for its entertainment value, but I really don't think it belongs on anyone's toplist.

P.S.: Is is really necessary for the author to stick a picture of a half or completely naked female character every twenty pages? I've heard of fan service, but this is ridiculous.

i like gantz
its not that repetetive. the aliens do look retarded though. i just want to find out who gantz is. thats why i keep reading it.

-vaxilus: i like the half naked girls the author draws ;p

Top Bottom