What Are You Playing?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
As I said, Wing Commander III has a special place in my heart for essentially being the best Wing Commander movie there could be, and an interesting Movie/Game novelty concept (I don't have those feelings for those that followed =). Plus, they cast Mark "Luke Fuckin' Skywalker" Hamill as Blair, which makes it pretty unassailable (and Biff as Manic! Way better than Freddie Prinze Jr and Mattew Lillard). When you get there see if you can spot the ironic social commentary that was always confusing and probably hasn't aged well at all. :carcus: :ganishka:

Yeah, I have fond memories of playing it at my friend’s house back in the day. I was blown away that Mark Hamill was playing the main character. I’m looking forward to a proper play through later this year or early next year.

I beat the original campaign this morning, and since Mega Man 3 came out before the Secret Missions, that’s what I’m playing next. I’ve only spent a few minutes with it on my breaks at work, but it already feels more difficult than MM2.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
Yeah, I have fond memories of playing it at my friend’s house back in the day. I was blown away that Mark Hamill was playing the main character. I’m looking forward to a proper play through later this year or early next year.

Yeah, now there's a game that could benefit from a modern HD remake and streamlining of the interactive video to meet today's standards. I wonder if the raw footage of the actors was high quality and still in good shape (I'm guessing not both). Btw, I think it might have been patched in subsequent releases, but a "big" issue at the time was that in-game space was dark blue instead of black for some reason. I'm sure it was fixed by IV, but let me know if your copy is still blue. =)

I beat the original campaign this morning, and since Mega Man 3 came out before the Secret Missions, that’s what I’m playing next. I’ve only spent a few minutes with it on my breaks at work, but it already feels more difficult than MM2.

Yeah, MM3 is no joke and the last of the pure, classic pre-megabuster games, until MM9 that is (best title screen music too, beautiful and fun to play on an acoustic guitar). One of my dissapoints with MM10 was they didn't bring back the megabuster charge and/or the slide, along with a second castle, to make it the MM4-6, or at least MM3, of its generation to compliment MM9's perfect MM2-style revival. That and especially two-player co-op (thank God for Shovel Knight =).

As for me, getting into the revelations of Zero Dawn, both story and like how to properly play; I was hoarding weapon upgrades instead of using them and finally realized I could have expanded my inventory at any time. =) Now I can take on anything utilizing the component tearing arrows and sling bombs (using rope and freeze bombs for crowd control), so Deathbringers are no problem. Playing it a lot now but it's not in the favorites of the year conversation yet; still just feels like a good game I'm enjoying than a best of/favorite, but it's relatively early and there's plenty more growth potential.

Also, concerning Hollow Knight:

Aazealh said:
I finished it at what's probably 99.99% completion when it came out

This may no longer be so!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/367520/announcements/detail/1705063055044744263

Love all the free DLC for these already great indie games. Also looking forward to King of Cards; Shovel Knight still isn't over (though I actually still need to finish Plague of Shadows)!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
Yeah, now there's a game that could benefit from a modern HD remake and streamlining of the interactive video to meet today's standards. I wonder if the raw footage of the actors was high quality and still in good shape (I'm guessing not both). Btw, I think it might have been patched in subsequent releases, but a "big" issue at the time was that in-game space was dark blue instead of black for some reason. I'm sure it was fixed by IV, but let me know if your copy is still blue. =)

Will do!

I can't imagine the cost of remastering the footage in III and IV, and I doubt they still have the original film. Still, that would be the ideal way to play it, and a pretty cool undertaking. Oh, well. I'm still looking forward to the experience. :serpico:

Griffith said:
Yeah, MM3 is no joke and the last of the pure, classic pre-megabuster games, until MM9 that is (best title screen music too, beautiful and fun to play on an acoustic guitar). One of my dissapoints with MM10 was they didn't bring back the megabuster charge and/or the slide, along with a second castle, to make it the MM4-6, or at least MM3, of its generation to compliment MM9's perfect MM2-style revival. That and especially two-player co-op (thank God for Shovel Knight =).

Yeah, I've heard the middle set of original Mega Man games are hit and miss, but I still plan on playing them. I've grown to love this series in a very short time.

I'm starting to get the hang of MM3. I've beaten the initial Robot Masters, so I'm gearing up for the stages between them and Dr. Wily's castle. :badbone:

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
I can't imagine the cost of remastering the footage in III and IV, and I doubt they still have the original film. Still, that would be the ideal way to play it, and a pretty cool undertaking. Oh, well. I'm still looking forward to the experience. :serpico:

I mean, part of the charm is the low res FMV, it's own genre of retro gaming, I just wonder if it's conceivable or if they even have the original raw material like you said. Chris Roberts was pretty into his shit though (I saw the making of documentary with the Special Edition of the game =), so I wouldn't be surprised if he kept it (and he could fund it with some of that Star Citizen money :carcus:). What amazes me is how much more on point it is than the actual Wing Commander movie he ended up making. Even when you get the original game's creator to make the movie, that he already did a good job making as a game/movie, it'll get fucked up beyond recognition. I'm starting to think the layers of moronic hacks in Hollywood might be the problem! :ganishka:

Rhombaad said:
Yeah, I've heard the middle set of original Mega Man games are hit and miss, but I still plan on playing them. I've grown to love this series in a very short time.

I can relate because even though I played them, particularly MM2, as a kid my love of them really solidified later playing them all night with friends. I'm probably biased because I've played them all numerous times, but they're all solid and have something new to offer up to IV, which is kind of a new beginning and where you draw the line on "modern" or oldschool Mega-Man conventions (I also know all the subtle game to game distinctions too, like in IV your charge attack is smaller but stays charged through damage, a big advantage =). I have a soft spot for V as well, which kind of perfectly balanced modern MM and has a decent premise with some cool stages and bosses, so the only real disappointment of the classic NES era is VI when it really got stale and seemingly knew it. Speaking of which, the GameBoy versions are their own beast and worth trying as well, particularly part IV, and especially V, which is the most unique from the NES games and has a shop, it's own boss and alien robot enemies, and special fist attack, etc. I could never feel the same about Mega-Man VII and VIII though. Mega-Man X is basically the real 16-bit and beyond Mega-Man, and the results back it up.

I'm starting to get the hang of MM3. I've beaten the initial Robot Masters, so I'm gearing up for the stages between them and Dr. Wily's castle. :badbone:

The biggest advantage in MM3 is how overpowered Rush is in that entry; he can fly, or swim, you all around the whole fucking stage like Superman! That can sure render the hardest platforming elements moot. Otherwise, gotta stock up those E tanks! My buddy and I used to stay up playing and drinking cans of Sparks and Sparks+ back when they still had uppers in them as our real life E tanks. I miss that. :guts:

Had the itch to play Diablo 2 for some reason. I've been playing the Median XL mod, and I've been fiddling around with some older mods like Eastern Sun after getting it to work properly.

Griffith

Continuing Horizon: Zero Dawn, took down another Deathbringer, and man was it giving me Metal Gear flashbacks. As a matter of fact, this game kinda reminds me of... every game! :ganishka: I don't know yet if that elevates it to some all-time place or if it's jack of all trades and master of none. Enjoying it still though, but not with the same fervor as some of the games that clearly inspired it. Maybe i'm doing too much of the plot, which I could take or leave, because like BotW I have the most fun just fucking around in the woods and shit (which that game smartly made the point).

Gamehowitzer said:
Just found out that Am2R gets updates last night, installed the updates and started a new file.

How would you campare Samus Returns to it? I definitely prefer the AM2R art style, but then there was nothing wrong with Metroid II for Gameboy in my book. =)

N7Paladin said:
Had the itch to play Diablo 2 for some reason. I've been playing the Median XL mod, and I've been fiddling around with some older mods like Eastern Sun after getting it to work properly.

Never played any of these mods, but Median is definitely interesting because of how it remakes the game. I just like having the online option with my characters though so I'll probably never take the plunge at this point (my last D2 play-through was a couple years ago because I wanted to try an Immortal King Barb and do a Hardcore run).

playing and obscure arguably flawed but fun PS3 game called Knights Contract also fun note the main character reminds me of Guts somewhat https://youtu.be/7b9i6dzL978

Griffith said:
How would you campare Samus Returns to it? I definitely prefer the AM2R art style, but then there was nothing wrong with Metroid II for Gameboy in my book. =)

That's a good question. I've played all of the above so let me compile some thoughts.
The original metroid 2 was maybe a bit slow, clunky movement, but so was the original. I think the existence of the Speed boost in AM2R really gives it that edge versus Samus Returns in my opinion, but Samus returns has the melee counter, which is... It's ok. I think the gameplay is too reliant on the melee counter. Although it had the Spiderball/ Powerbomb flying which is definitely creative.
AM2R has more bosses, and more original content, and more/ more accessible, lore.
I still need to play through the new update of AM2R so when i do I'll make another post and spoiler post it.

Overall, i think that AM2R is superior to the Samus returns, only because they didn't decide to create a one-off new ability set that never appeared in the lore of any other game. The game pacing in AM2R isn't segmented into areas by Metroid DNA and a console, and has better and more realistic shortcuts than Samus returns as well. Honestly AM2R is a 100% better experience, and true to the metroid series, while free aiming was a great addition, you can't move while using it, and in that case the Fusion aiming used in AM2R is 100% better. Not to mention you can set your own control scheme in AM2R.
Edit: Did i mention AM2R is much more difficult when you're fighting the metroids? Because of the melee counter not existing, you have to really be careful when you shoot. The Metroids basically fly after you so if you maneuver well you can just dodge and dodge and set up your own shots. Higher skill cap. Also i forgot, Samus returns has one boss that completely disregards the melee counter and just the fact that only the one boss can't be affected by it just makes me wonder about the development process. Hell even the endgame
Ridley
fight you could counter.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Super Metroid is one of my Top 3 favorite games of all time, and I really didn't enjoy Samus Returns. I got about 4-6 hours in, but the monotony and repetition of it just killed my interest. I did enjoy what I played of AM2R, but it seemed to lack the craft and pacing that I was looking for at the time (felt like a fan-made game, which it is).

Griffith

Gamehowitzer said:
Overall, i think that AM2R is superior to the Samus returns, only because they didn't decide to create a one-off new ability set that never appeared in the lore of any other game. The game pacing in AM2R isn't segmented into areas by Metroid DNA and a console, and has better and more realistic shortcuts than Samus returns as well. Honestly AM2R is a 100% better experience, and true to the metroid series, while free aiming was a great addition, you can't move while using it, and in that case the Fusion aiming used in AM2R is 100% better. Not to mention you can set your own control scheme in AM2R.
Gamehowitzer said:
I really didn't enjoy Samus Returns. I got about 4-6 hours in, but the monotony and repetition of it just killed my interest. I did enjoy what I played of AM2R, but it seemed to lack the craft and pacing that I was looking for at the time (felt like a fan-made game, which it is).

Well, AM2R does sound like the way to go, but fan games are inherently dicey to me because not only can they lack finish, as Wally noted, but because they're tailored specifically to what a few or even one fan thinks is the way to go for a certain franchise, which I'm not likely to agree with as an individual fan myself. If Shovel Knight were an actual Mega Man or Ducktales fan game rather than a pastiche, I'd probably get hung up on the nitty gritty details rather than just enjoying it for how great it is on its own merits (it would inherently limit what they could do while keeping it "faithful"). Then again, those guys seemingly did better than Capcom at knowing what fans of such classic games wanted or would find appealing, so maybe they would have nailed it regardless, but I definitely think it's easier to make your own thing in that style.

I think my favorite fan games in the "dream come true" vein were Mega Man 7 & 8 Famicom editions that attempted to faithfully translate those games back into the classic 8-bit Mega Man format. I think it works especially well because there's clear goals, guidelines and parameters based on melding two "official" sources, the original Rockman games' graphical aesthetic and game design with the character and level designs of the later games.

Walter said:
Super Metroid is one of my Top 3 favorite games of all time

Confession time: I've still never completed Super Metroid! I've made at least three earnest attempts to play it through in my adult life alone and always put it down for some reason, getting stuck somewhere and/or losing interest. I think I've gotten pretty far too based on how much of the map and powers I've unlocked, but I can't be sure. I got through Metroid Fusion just fine, which is superficially similar, but it's like 6 hours long and is broken down into mission sections more suited to its portable nature. I remember you didn't like it for that reason, Walter, particularly the hand-holdy way the A.I. would direct you rather than you just letting you explore on your own. I wonder if it'll just click next time, because usually when I get stuck or just drop a game for a while I can pick it back up with some distance and perspective and instantly bypass whatever stymied me. It happened with Hollow Knight recently, and just the other day with Thimbleweed Park. Anyway, I have Super Metroid on my Wii U and have been charging the gamepad next to the bed with the intention of playing it at night, finally to completion, but still haven't gotten around to starting it again yet (part of the problem is my previous attempts were all on different platforms I've since abandoned, so I can't just resume my last save either, I keep starting over =). But, as Rhombaad says, it's on the list. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Confession time: I've still never completed Super Metroid! I've made at least three earnest attempts to play it through in my adult life alone and always put it down for some reason, getting stuck somewhere and/or losing interest. I think I've gotten pretty far too based on how much of the map and powers I've unlocked, but I can't be sure. I got through Metroid Fusion just fine, which is superficially similar, but it's like 6 hours long and is broken down into mission sections more suited to its portable nature. I remember you didn't like it for that reason, Walter, particularly the hand-holdy way the A.I. would direct you rather than you just letting you explore on your own. I wonder if it'll just click next time, because usually when I get stuck or just drop a game for a while I can pick it back up with some distance and perspective and instantly bypass whatever stymied me. It happened with Hollow Knight recently, and just the other day with Thimbleweed Park. Anyway, I have Super Metroid on my Wii U and have been charging the gamepad next to the bed with the intention of playing it at night, finally to completion, but still haven't gotten around to starting it again yet (part of the problem is my previous attempts were all on different platforms I've since abandoned, so I can't just resume my last save either, I keep starting over =). But, as Rhombaad says, it's on the list. :ganishka:

HTML:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HbflnQP_9aw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PS: This YouTube channel is rad.

Griffith

Walter said:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/HbflnQP_9aw

PS: This YouTube channel is rad.

I suppose it's rad if you finished the game. :farnese:

Aazealh said:

latest

Pictured: My shame-filled heart. :idea:

latest

Alright, alright, I'll kill all your Metroids and Ridleys and whatever else you got for me! I was probably next to the boss room already anyway when I got BORED! I'll be back, you'll see! :judo:

Griffith said:
Confession time: I've still never completed Super Metroid! I've made at least three earnest attempts to play it through in my adult life alone and always put it down for some reason, getting stuck somewhere and/or losing interest. I think I've gotten pretty far too based on how much of the map and powers I've unlocked, but I can't be sure. I got through Metroid Fusion just fine, which is superficially similar, but it's like 6 hours long and is broken down into mission sections more suited to its portable nature.
I see. I was lucky enough to grow up under the influence of people who played these games, and watch them mostly. :ganishka:
I guess that's why i was able to appreciate them so much when i finally was able to play.

As for you not finishing super metroid, all i can say is JUST DO IT!!! Memes side seriously just do it man. What was the farthest boss you remember fighting? And what power ups do you remember getting? I could give you a good gauge of how far you've actually beat it.

Let me be real tho, i just absolutely love the music in the metroid games. Just that transition once you finally enter Norfair, oh god, just that music makes it so satisfying.

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
Knew that was coming. :ganishka:

Yeah, I kinda did too, and just wait until he finds out I've never even read Berserk! Been faking it all along. :griffnotevil:

"Yeah man, I love Gurtz the Dark Sword Man, and Griffen the White Dove, that's my man right there. I hope he gets his dream of owning his own home. King Skeleton, he's the greatest! What a villain, evil as hell."

Gamehowitzer said:
I see. I was lucky enough to grow up under the influence of people who played these games, and watch them mostly. :ganishka:
I guess that's why i was able to appreciate them so much when i finally was able to play.

I had an experience similar to that with my cousin and Mega Man 2. I, and my father alike, would watch in awe as he navigated levels like Air Man's and Wood Man's stages like he was playing a solo in a symphony, it was just perfect (I guess that was my first exposure to like, speedrunning or just high level playing =). So, when I inherited his NES and those games (MM2, Mario 1 & 2, Zelda 1 & 2, Deadly Towers, Dragon Spirit, The Guardian Legend, Blaster Master) I was thrilled to try them myself even though I was a kid and sucked pretty bad at first.

Rhombaad said:
As for you not finishing super metroid, all i can say is JUST DO IT!!! Memes side seriously just do it man. What was the farthest boss you remember fighting? And what power ups do you remember getting? I could give you a good gauge of how far you've actually beat it.

I honestly couldn't tell you specifically between all the different beam power ups, but I definitely had the bomb, jump and speed upgrades and so could get around, and I recall there being a lot of fire/lava where I was last exploring, though I may have been backtracking/exploring when I left off. Basically, I was somewhere in the middle. Anyway, as promised I fired up Super Metroid again on my Wii U in bed last night and managed to get as far as the bowels of Brinstar, I've played that opening sequence A LOT, before going to sleep (just like old times =). I'll finish it this time and reclaim my honor, though I bet there's lots of classic games people here missed or that just passed them by (except Aaz, he's probably played them all, Wally no just because he'll quit a game and uninstall the second he's not feeling it, even if he's 95% of the way through, which drives me nuts though I also admire it =).

Also fired up Zero Dawn just long enough to sneak past half a dozen robots and reach the next part of a story quest, but then it was time for Metroid and bed.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
"Yeah man, I love Gurtz the Dark Sword Man, and Griffen the White Dove, that's my man right there. I hope he gets his dream of owning his own home. King Skeleton, he's the greatest! What a villain, evil as hell."

Unfortunately that sounds like most of the fan base to me. :iva:

Griffith said:
I bet there's lots of classic games people here missed or that just passed them by (except Aaz, he's probably played them all, Wally no just because he'll quit a game and uninstall the second he's not feeling it, even if he's 95% of the way through, which drives me nuts though I also admire it =).

Haha nah, there's tons of stuff I also never played, either because it was not released in Europe, because I was busy with other things at the time or because it didn't show up on my radar at the time.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Unfortunately that sounds like most of the fan base to me. :iva:

The hard part was coming up with semi-original misnomers! :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Haha nah, there's tons of stuff I also never played, either because it was not released in Europe, because I was busy with other things at the time or because it didn't show up on my radar at the time.

Heh, I know you couldn't have possibly played ALL the classics, but feel like any I'd think to ask you about would be an affirmative. The trick would be finding the ones you missed! Speaking of which, coincidentally saw this today...

https://kotaku.com/what-s-the-quickest-you-ve-bailed-on-a-game-1828686031

I guess my champion is the recently abandoned Mass Effect: Andromeda since I technically stopped during the blank screen transition between my desktop and the game starting. I don't know that there's any sooner one can actually start and quit a game. :daiba:

It's so common not to play games you buy now it's hard to think of it as noteworthy, but in the old pre-download days one could still buy a game and just never play, or even open, it. I'd count that as a super early bail, but I can't remember doing that myself because it was a bit more unthinkable when you actually bothered to go out and get it (would more likely a shitty gift game or something =).

Oh yeah, I also started Spelunky based on Wally's enthusiasm for it, and though I've only completed the tutorial and 1-1 so far it looks like I started just in time:

https://www.destructoid.com/spelunky-2-gameplay-trailer-invites-you-into-the-dark-depths-once-again-520448.phtml

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
Speaking of which, coincidentally saw this today...

https://kotaku.com/what-s-the-quickest-you-ve-bailed-on-a-game-1828686031

I guess my champion is the recently abandoned Mass Effect: Andromeda since I technically stopped during the blank screen transition between my desktop and the game starting. I don't know that there's any sooner one can actually start and quit a game. :daiba:

:ganishka:

The very first time I played Mega Man 2 I quit two or three minutes into Airman's stage. After the first jump landed me on a drill rising out of the hovering robot, I almost quit immediately...but I gave it another two lives before quitting for good (or so I thought :void:).

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
The very first time I played Mega Man 2 I quit two or three minutes into Airman's stage. After the first jump landed me on a drill rising out of the hovering robot, I almost quit immediately...but I gave it another two lives before quitting for good (or so I thought :void:).

Yeah man, Air Man's stage, that's the one I remember most from watching my cousin play because he'd just avoid or kill everything without missing a beat and at best I'd try to land so I'd fall ON the head-platform instead of off when hitting those goddamn drill horns! Wood Man's stage wasn't as iconically instant-deathy but it sure threw a lot of varied obstacles at you like those damn charging ostriches, slow but relentless bats, and those big cats that shoot balls of fire at you. Pretty gnarly to a little kid at the time. I think the only stage I liked at first was Bubble Man, and even those dropping platforms could be trouble. :ganishka:

BTW, have you or will you be playing MM9? MM7-8? MMX, etc? I know, and the extended MM11 trailer demonstrates, there's a million of these games but to me the true canon is the the classic NES ones including 9, and SNES X games and maybe the Zero series on GameBoy Advance.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
BTW, have you or will you be playing MM9? MM7-8? MMX, etc? I know, and the extended MM11 trailer demonstrates, there's a million of these games but to me the true canon is the the classic NES ones including 9, and SNES X games and maybe the Zero series on GameBoy Advance.

These are the rest of the Mega Man games on my list:

Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Mega Man X
Mega Man V (Game Boy game)
Mega Man X2
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X3
Mega Man 8
Mega Man X4
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man & Bass
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Mega Man Legends 2
Mega Man Xtreme
Mega Man X5
Mega Man Zero
Mega Man Zero 2
Mega Man Zero 3
Mega Man Zero 4
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man ZX Advent
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Mega Man 11

Whew!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
Whew indeed, if you do all those you'll be be able to teach me about Mega Man.

I’ll do my best!

I’m taking a break from Wing Commander: The Secret Missions. I played Bifrost II over and over and over, and I just can’t beat the damn thing. Part of the problem is the lag I’m experiencing. Anytime there’s more than three or four ships in the area, the game lags to the point where the controls stop responding, which leaves me a sitting duck.

So for now, I’ve started playing Final Fantasy III on the NES. It’s pretty good so far. I’m amazed at the quality of the later NES/Famicom games. They were able to do a lot on that little system near the end of its life.

Top Bottom